|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the song "Blue Suede Shoes"?
2. Who was Johnny's first wife?
3. In what country was the setting in #1 located?
4. Which musician did Johnny once tell that God would "jerk the tongue out of your head"?
5. Which friend of Johnny's had a premonition of his own death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
2. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
3. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
4. What was Johnny's tour bus called and what did he say about being on the road?
5. What explanation did Johnny give for not performing Kris Kristofferson's song "City of New Orleans"?
6. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
7. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
8. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
9. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
10. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)