Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what branch of the military did Johnny serve?
2. Which songwriter offered Johnny and his group a song?
3. Who were the members of the Tennessee Two?
4. In what type of fields did Johnny work as a boy?
5. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
2. Who were the Highwaymen and how was the group formed?
3. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
4. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
5. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
6. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
7. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
8. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
9. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
10. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)