|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Johnny always wear the color in #47?
2. What boyhood friend did Johnny recall while driving toward Northern California one day?
3. To whom did Johnny give the advice of "change your name and lower your voice"?
4. What was the name of Johnny's band in the city in #52?
5. Where was meat cured on the Cash farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Johnny born and what were the times like for the Cash family?
2. What was Johnny's tour bus called and what did he say about being on the road?
3. What was the country of Johnny Cash's ancestry and where did they eventually settle in America?
4. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
5. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
6. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
7. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
8. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
9. What explanation did Johnny give for not performing Kris Kristofferson's song "City of New Orleans"?
10. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 2
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)