|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Johnny when he married for the first time?
2. What body of water wreaked havoc on the Cash farm?
3. Who was Johnny's good friend and neighbor who lost his wife and children?
4. Johnny stated that he was glad he wasn't _____________.
5. Johnny had a real ability to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
2. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
3. What advice did Johnny get from a voice teacher and what did he wish he had learned about his voice?
4. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
5. What had upset Johnny when he returned to his old home at Dyess?
6. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
7. Who were Johnny's band members at the time this book was written?
8. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
9. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
10. What did Johnny say was the greatest honor he ever had?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)