|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did the person in #39 have?
2. On what show did Johnny and his band perform in 1955?
3. What special talent did the person in #39 have?
4. Johnny's mother told him he would get a stomach ache if he ate _______________.
5. What boyhood friend did Johnny recall while driving toward Northern California one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
2. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
3. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
4. How did Johnny meet Sam Phillips of Sun Records and what was the first record he recorded?
5. Where was Johnny born and what were the times like for the Cash family?
6. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
7. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
8. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
9. Who were "The Tennessee Two" and how did Johnny meet up with them?
10. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)