|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Johnny when he married for the first time?
2. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
3. What was the setting for the opening of CASH?
4. Who was Johnny's first wife?
5. Which musician did Johnny once tell that God would "jerk the tongue out of your head"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
2. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
3. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
4. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
5. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
6. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
7. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
8. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
9. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
10. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Johnny's estranged relationship with his father have on Johnny's life? What emotional wounds did Johnny suffer? How did the rejection by his father impact Johnny's relationships with other people? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Johnny's? How did it affect him? How does it affect those impacted by Johnny's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)