|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which songwriter offered Johnny and his group a song?
2. What did Johnny comment on about being on the road?
3. What boyhood friend did Johnny recall while driving toward Northern California one day?
4. Who was Johnny's second wife?
5. What pact did Johnny and the person in #55 make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
2. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
3. Who were "The Tennessee Two" and how did Johnny meet up with them?
4. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
5. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
6. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
7. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
8. What was Johnny's tour bus called and what did he say about being on the road?
9. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
10. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does Johnny mean by calling it CASH: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)