|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what show did Johnny and his band perform in 1955?
2. What did Johnny feel limited his success in his early career?
3. In what branch of the military did Johnny serve?
4. How did Johnny's mother earn money for his voice lessons?
5. What special talent did the person in #39 have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
2. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
3. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
4. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
5. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
6. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
7. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
8. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
9. What did Johnny say about Alan Jackson, Roger Miller and Bill Monroe?
10. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the mid 1950s and why the time was right for Johnny's music to emerge. What were the trends in America at the time? How did Johnny differentiate himself from other young musicians coming out onto the music scene at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
This section contains 1,880 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)