|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insects invaded the Cash farm one year?
2. In what city did Johnny and his new wife settle in 1955?
3. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
4. What was Johnny's mother's name?
5. What song did Johnny later write about his experience on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were "The Tennessee Two" and how did Johnny meet up with them?
2. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
3. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
4. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
5. How did Johnny meet Sam Phillips of Sun Records and what was the first record he recorded?
6. What advice did Johnny get from a voice teacher and what did he wish he had learned about his voice?
7. What explanation did Johnny give for not performing Kris Kristofferson's song "City of New Orleans"?
8. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
9. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
10. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in June and her mother and sisters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)