|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Johnny have with his first wife?
2. In what country did Johnny serve in the military?
3. Who was Johnny's first wife?
4. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
5. What body of water wreaked havoc on the Cash farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
2. Who were "The Tennessee Two" and how did Johnny meet up with them?
3. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
4. What advice did Johnny get from a voice teacher and what did he wish he had learned about his voice?
5. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
6. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
7. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
8. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
9. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
10. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)