Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what branch of the military did Johnny serve?
2. Which songwriter offered Johnny and his group a song?
3. Who were the members of the Tennessee Two?
4. In what type of fields did Johnny work as a boy?
5. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
2. Who were the Highwaymen and how was the group formed?
3. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
4. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
5. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
6. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
7. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
8. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
9. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
10. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the mid 1950s and why the time was right for Johnny's music to emerge. What were the trends in America at the time? How did Johnny differentiate himself from other young musicians coming out onto the music scene at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)