|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men were killed as a result of the crime at Johnny's Jamaican home?
2. In what city did Johnny and his new wife settle in 1955?
3. In what country did Johnny serve in the military?
4. What genre of book is CASH?
5. Johnny stated that he lacked an all-consuming love of _____________ for which he was grateful.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
2. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
3. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
4. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
5. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
6. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
7. What had upset Johnny when he returned to his old home at Dyess?
8. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
9. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
10. What was the infamous song written for Johnny by Shel Silverstein and where did Johnny first perform it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in June and her mother and sisters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 1,858 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)