|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pact did Johnny and the person in #55 make?
2. In what year was Johnny Cash born?
3. What did Johnny think about the abilities of himself and his band in the early days?
4. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
5. Johnny had a real ability to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
2. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
3. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
4. What was the country of Johnny Cash's ancestry and where did they eventually settle in America?
5. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
6. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
7. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
8. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
9. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
10. What explanation did Johnny give for not performing Kris Kristofferson's song "City of New Orleans"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)