|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Johnny always wear the color in #47?
2. What disease did the person in #39 have?
3. Which songwriter offered Johnny and his group a song?
4. At what age did Johnny begin to work in the fields?
5. On what show did Johnny and his band perform in 1955?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Johnny get from a voice teacher and what did he wish he had learned about his voice?
2. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
3. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
4. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
5. What did Johnny say about the friendship between the young musicians he knew during the 1950s?
6. Where was Johnny born and what were the times like for the Cash family?
7. What explanation did Johnny give for not performing Kris Kristofferson's song "City of New Orleans"?
8. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
9. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
10. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)