|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was Johnny in prison?
2. What did Johnny learn from the vocal teacher?
3. What crime occurred at Johnny's Jamaican home?
4. What fatal injury did the person in #22 sustain?
5. What song did Johnny later write about his experience on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
2. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
3. What did Johnny recall about himself and the other musicians who shared the Sun recording label in the 1950s?
4. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
5. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
6. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
7. Where did the Cash family move in 1934?
8. What were the personal tragedies experienced by Johnny's good friend, Roy Orbison?
9. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
10. What was the country of Johnny Cash's ancestry and where did they eventually settle in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does Johnny mean by calling it CASH: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)