|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what country could Johnny Cash trace his family origins?
2. What was the job of the person in #22 when he was 14?
3. What did Johnny think about the abilities of himself and his band in the early days?
4. Who was Johnny's second wife?
5. What song did Johnny later write about his experience on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
2. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
3. What was Johnny's tour bus called and what did he say about being on the road?
4. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
5. What example did Johnny give to try to eliminate the romantic notions of rural life?
6. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
7. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
8. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
9. What was the country of Johnny Cash's ancestry and where did they eventually settle in America?
10. How did Johnny meet Sam Phillips of Sun Records and what was the first record he recorded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)