|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnny feel limited his success in his early career?
2. What song did Johnny later write about his experience on the farm?
3. In what branch of the military did Johnny serve?
4. Johnny stated that he lacked an all-consuming love of _____________ for which he was grateful.
5. What is the name of Johnny's only son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Johnny's parents' differing opinions of his music and how did they spur him on to success?
2. Who were Johnny's parents and in what year was Johnny Cash born?
3. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
4. How did the song "Blue Suede Shoes" come to be written?
5. What tragedy befell the Cash family regarding Johnny's older brother, Jack?
6. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
7. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
8. How did Johnny meet Sam Phillips of Sun Records and what was the first record he recorded?
9. What was Johnny's tour bus called and what did he say about being on the road?
10. Who were Johnny's two wives and how many children did he have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does Johnny mean by calling it CASH: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)