|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime occurred at Johnny's Jamaican home?
2. In what branch of the military did Johnny serve?
3. Which friend of Johnny's had a premonition of his own death?
4. What genre of book is CASH?
5. Why did Johnny always wear the color in #47?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime occurred at the Cash's Cinnamon Hill home one day in 1994?
2. What was the country of Johnny Cash's ancestry and where did they eventually settle in America?
3. Where was Johnny Cash when he began writing this autobiography?
4. What were the lyrics in Johnny's song "Man in Black" that described why he always wore black?
5. Who were "The Tennessee Two" and how did Johnny meet up with them?
6. What did Johnny relate about the hard life of working in the cotton fields as a boy?
7. Where was Johnny born and what were the times like for the Cash family?
8. What were the three questions Johnny was always asked in interviews and what were his responses?
9. What was Johnny's perspective on the term "country"?
10. What angst did Johnny suffer in the aftermath of the Cinnamon Hill robbery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in June and her mother and sisters? Explain.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)