|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Carver see in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
2. Why did the person in "A Patriarch's Blessing" tell Carver not to pick the fruit?
3. What did Carver put in someone's pocket in "Driving Mr. Carver"?
4. Who did Carver say caused weeds in "The Wild Garden"?
5. Who was "My Beloved Friend" written to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
2. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
3. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
4. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
5. What did most white nurses do in "Friends in the Klan"?
6. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
7. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
8. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
9. What came of the experiments in "The Penol Cures"?
10. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of Carver's main talents, and how did these affect his success throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)