|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Curtis's first name?
2. What is "Ruellia Noctiflora"?
3. In "The Wild Garden," what did Carver say men could have a balanced diet of?
4. Why did Carver refuse to many assistants before Curtis came along?
5. What did Carver say would destroy a person in "Goliath"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Lace-Maker" about?
2. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
3. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
4. Why was Curtis called "Baby Carver"?
5. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
6. What were all the honors Carver received in "Out of the Fire"?
7. What did most white nurses do in "Friends in the Klan"?
8. What did Carver say about God in "The Wild Garden"?
9. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
10. How did Booker T. Washington offend Carver in "The New Rooster"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
How was Carver's upbringing unique for the time, and how did he respond to this?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the people in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)