|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carver show the government in "Out of the Fire"?
2. Whose garden is described in "The Wild Garden"?
3. Why did the person in "A Patriarch's Blessing" tell Carver not to pick the fruit?
4. In "The New Rooster," what did Bridgeforth want to become?
5. When did "The Lace-Maker" do the sewing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Lovingly Sons," what did Carver's boys say he did for them?
2. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
3. What was "Moton Field" about?
4. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
5. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
6. What was Carver criticized for in "Eureka"?
7. What is "Ruellia Noctiflora," and why was Carver so excited about it?
8. In "My Dear Spiritual Boy," how did Carver meet the person it talked about?
9. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
10. What is the "Arachis Hypogaea"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)