|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Carver speaking in "Eureka"?
2. What was different about the hospital at Tuskegee?
3. Where did black WWI veterans receive discrimination?
4. Who was "The Lace-Maker"?
5. Who did the person in "My Beloved Friend" embody?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
2. What was Carver criticized for in "Eureka"?
3. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
4. In "Veil-Raisers," how did Carver see the continuation of his race?
5. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
6. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
7. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
8. What did Carver say about God in "The Wild Garden"?
9. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
10. What was "Moton Field" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)