|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Carver say God lived in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
2. How was Carver hounded about the missing chickens in "Chicken-Talk"?
3. What did Carver wear in "The Joy of Sewing" that made people laugh at him?
4. What was the person Carver saw in "A Patriarch's Blessing" sitting in?
5. Where was the George Washington Carver Museum placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
2. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
3. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
4. What came of the experiments in "The Penol Cures"?
5. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
6. In "Veil-Raisers," how did Carver see the continuation of his race?
7. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
8. How did Booker T. Washington offend Carver in "The New Rooster"?
9. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
10. What was "Moton Field" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)