|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carver say WWI taught him in "House of Ways and Means"?
2. Whose garden is described in "The Wild Garden"?
3. In "Last Talks with Jim Hardwick," what did Carver and Harwick talk mostly about?
4. In "House of Ways and Means" what did Carver want a protective tariff for?
5. What did Carver compare God to in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
2. In "My Dear Spiritual Boy," how did Carver meet the person it talked about?
3. What came of the experiments in "The Penol Cures"?
4. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
5. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
6. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
7. What were some of the things Carver did while in the car in "Driving Mr. Carver"?
8. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
9. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
10. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination were two major and related themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how did they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity was a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and was manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)