|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carver tell his students to defeat their own "Goliath"?
2. When was "The Year of the Sky-Smear"?
3. In "The Joy of Sewing," what did Carver like about the finished sewing projects?
4. What was different about Hardwick from all of Carver's other boys?
5. What did the person in "My Beloved Friend" dispel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
2. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
3. What is the "Arachis Hypogaea"?
4. What is "Ruellia Noctiflora," and why was Carver so excited about it?
5. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
6. What came of the experiments in "The Penol Cures"?
7. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
8. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
9. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
10. What is "The Lace-Maker" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the people in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)