|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Last Talks with Jim Hardwick," what did Carver and Harwick talk mostly about?
2. What gift did Carver give to the man who dedicated the George Washington Carver Museum?
3. Where did Booker T. Washington die?
4. What honor is Carver given in "Out of the Fire"?
5. Where did the people think the unaccounted for chickens in "Chicken-Talk" had gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the things Carver did while in the car in "Driving Mr. Carver"?
2. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
3. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
4. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
5. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
6. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
7. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
8. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
9. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
10. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity was a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and was manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)