|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Penol Cures," what disease was cured?
2. What did Carver say WWI taught him in "House of Ways and Means"?
3. Where was Carver speaking in "Eureka"?
4. What did Carver wear in "The Joy of Sewing" that made people laugh at him?
5. What was different about Hardwick from all of Carver's other boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Carver differ from most of the people around him, and how did he deal with these differences?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)