|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did black WWI veterans receive discrimination?
2. What did Carver show the government in "Out of the Fire"?
3. In "The Joy of Sewing," what did Carver like about the finished sewing projects?
4. What caused "The Year of the Sky-Smear"?
5. In "Letter to Mrs. Hardwick," what relation did Carver say he would never have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were all the honors Carver received in "Out of the Fire"?
2. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
3. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
4. What did most white nurses do in "Friends in the Klan"?
5. In "Lovingly Sons," what did Carver's boys say he did for them?
6. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
7. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
8. What is the "Arachis Hypogaea"?
9. How did Carver die?
10. In "God's Little Workshop," what was Carver busy doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)