|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carver say would destroy a person in "Goliath"?
2. When was "The Year of the Sky-Smear"?
3. Who was "The Lace-Maker"?
4. Who hounded Carver for the unaccounted for chickens in "Chicken-Talk"?
5. Where did black WWI veterans receive discrimination?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
2. What is the "Arachis Hypogaea"?
3. What was Carver criticized for in "Eureka"?
4. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
5. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
6. Why was Curtis called "Baby Carver"?
7. What came of the experiments in "The Penol Cures"?
8. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
9. What was "Moton Field" about?
10. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination were two major and related themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how did they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
Essay Topic 3
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)