|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The New Rooster," what was Bridgeforth's occupation?
2. What was different about Hardwick from all of Carver's other boys?
3. What was Hardwick's first name?
4. In "Lovingly Sons," who are Carver's boys?
5. What is "Ruellia Noctiflora"?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how was it presented?
Essay Topic 3
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)