|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chicken-Talk," how many chickens were unaccounted for?
2. In "House of Ways and Means" what did Carver want a protective tariff for?
3. What gift did Carver give to the man who dedicated the George Washington Carver Museum?
4. What was the person Carver saw in "A Patriarch's Blessing" sitting in?
5. In "Veil-Raisers," who did Booker t. Washington write notes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
2. In "Lovingly Sons," what did Carver's boys say he did for them?
3. What is "Ruellia Noctiflora," and why was Carver so excited about it?
4. What did most white nurses do in "Friends in the Klan"?
5. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
6. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
7. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
8. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
9. How did Carver die?
10. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Carver and Sarah end, and why? How did this affect their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)