|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Veil-Raisers," who did Booker t. Washington write notes to?
2. What did the sign on Carver's workshop say in "God's Little Workshop"?
3. In "Last Talks with Jim Hardwick," what did Carver call nature?
4. What honor is Carver given in "Out of the Fire"?
5. What was heard from the airfield in "Moton Field"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
2. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
3. Why was Curtis called "Baby Carver"?
4. In "Veil-Raisers," how did Carver see the continuation of his race?
5. What were all the honors Carver received in "Out of the Fire"?
6. How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
7. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
8. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
9. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
10. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 3
How did Carver differ from most of the people around him, and how did he deal with these differences?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)