|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Four a.m. in the Woods," what did Carver love about the woods?
2. What kind of doctor did Susan say George was?
3. Who created the color Egyptian Blue?
4. What caused Carver to laugh in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
5. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee think he had higher pay than them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
2. What is Egyptian Blue?
3. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
4. What was "My People" about?
5. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
6. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
7. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
8. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
9. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
10. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education were topics of discussion in this book. Where did these topics appear in this book, and what affect did they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)