|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miss Bud teach?
2. What did Carver keep on his bedside table?
3. What society in College did Carver organize?
4. How did Carver pay for his piano lessons?
5. What got scalded in "Dawn Walk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Cafeteria Food," what did Carver say he could always count on?
2. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
3. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
4. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
5. In "Washboard Wizard," what was Carver good at?
6. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
7. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
8. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
9. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
10. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education were topics of discussion in this book. Where did these topics appear in this book, and what affect did they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)