|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did George first see the Ivory handled knife?
2. What is new about the generation Carver taught at Tuskagee?
3. Who defended Carver when a student tried to insult him?
4. What was the Earth compared to in "Clay"?
5. What amazed Pammel about Carver?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
2. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
3. In "Cafeteria Food," what did Carver say he could always count on?
4. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
5. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
6. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
7. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
8. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
9. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
10. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the people in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Essay Topic 2
This book took place during World War I. How did this historical and world changing event affect this plot and the people in it?
Essay Topic 3
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)