|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee not like him?
2. Why did Miss bud say she sent Carver home?
3. What was the name of Carver's mother?
4. What did the students' parents at Tuskagee do for a living?
5. What was Carver called in "A Charmed Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "Drifter" about?
2. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
3. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
4. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
5. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
6. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
7. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
8. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
9. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
10. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
How did Carver differ from most of the people around him, and how did he deal with these differences?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)