|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carver know Sarah Hunt?
2. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee not like him?
3. In "Four a.m. in the Woods," what did Carver realize?
4. What did Carver write for his College class?
5. How old was Mary when she was sold into slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
2. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
3. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
4. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
5. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
6. What was Carver criticized for in "Eureka"?
7. In "My Dear Spiritual Boy," how did Carver meet the person it talked about?
8. What is "Cercospora" about?
9. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
10. What did most white nurses do in "Friends in the Klan"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how was it presented?
Essay Topic 3
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)