|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Poultry Husbandry," why did the chickens start killing each other?
2. What kind of studio did Carver ask for in "Odalisque"?
3. What tone was "My People" written in?
4. How did Watkins meet Carver?
5. Where does "A Ship Without a Rudder" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
2. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
3. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
4. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
5. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
6. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
7. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
8. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
9. What is Egyptian Blue?
10. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination were two major and related themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how did they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)