|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Watkins meet Carver?
2. Why did Miss bud say she sent Carver home?
3. What religious group did Carver join in college?
4. What is the name of Carver's brother?
5. What form is "From an Alabama Farmer" written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Washboard Wizard," what was Carver good at?
2. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
3. What is Egyptian Blue?
4. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
5. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
6. What did Carver discover in "Four a.m. in the Woods"?
7. In "Cafeteria Food," what did Carver say he could always count on?
8. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
9. What was "Drifter" about?
10. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)