|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Drifter," what was Carver on a quest for?
2. Who narrated "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
3. Why was a family sitting on the train tracks in "Coincidence"?
4. Where did "The Perceiving Self" take place?
5. What stuck out of the students' shoes in "Dawn Walk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "My People" about?
2. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
3. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
4. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
5. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
6. What is "Cercospora" about?
7. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
8. What is Egyptian Blue?
9. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
10. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination were two major and related themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how did they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)