|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What society in College did Carver organize?
2. Where did a student try to insult Carver?
3. How many stillborn children did Carver's mother have?
4. What was John Bentley hired to do?
5. Who narrated "Odalisque"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Cercospora" about?
2. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
3. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
4. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
5. What was "Drifter" about?
6. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
7. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
8. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
9. What was "My People" about?
10. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education were topics of discussion in this book. Where did these topics appear in this book, and what affect did they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of Carver's main talents, and how did these affect his success throughout his life?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)