|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Drifter," what was Carver on a quest for?
2. What tone was "My People" written in?
3. How many paintings of Carver's were displayed at the World Fair?
4. Where was Carver born?
5. How many stillborn children did Carver's mother have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
2. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
3. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
4. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
5. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
6. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
7. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
8. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
9. What is "Cercospora" about?
10. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity was a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and was manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)