|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Watkins realize George was meant for greatness?
2. Who did Carver hope to honor with his work in "Odalisque"?
3. In "Drifter," what was Carver curious about?
4. In "Poultry Husbandry," how were Carver and his many tasks described?
5. Who defended Carver when a student tried to insult him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carver discover in "Four a.m. in the Woods"?
2. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
3. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
4. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
5. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
6. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
7. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
8. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
9. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
10. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education were topics of discussion in this book. Where did these topics appear in this book, and what affect did they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How did the relationship between Carver and Sarah end, and why? How did this affect their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)