|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an invertebrate?
2. What stuck out of the students' shoes in "Dawn Walk"?
3. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee think he had higher pay than them?
4. What was the Earth compared to in "Clay"?
5. Where did "Dawn Walk" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Washboard Wizard," why was Carver not going to college?
2. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
3. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
4. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
5. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
6. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
7. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
8. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
9. What was "Drifter" about?
10. What was "My People" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)