|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Watkins realize George was meant for greatness?
2. What did Carver keep on his bedside table?
3. What was Carver called in "A Charmed Life"?
4. What society in College did Carver organize?
5. What was Carver's nickname in College?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Curtis called "Baby Carver"?
2. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
3. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
4. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
5. How did Booker T. Washington offend Carver in "The New Rooster"?
6. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
7. What did Carver discover in "Four a.m. in the Woods"?
8. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
9. In "God's Little Workshop," what was Carver busy doing?
10. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)