|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carver's colleagues at Tuskagee describe Carver's accent?
2. How did Carver pay for his piano lessons?
3. What kind of studio did Carver ask for in "Odalisque"?
4. Where does "A Ship Without a Rudder" take place?
5. What society in College did Carver organize?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
2. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
3. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
4. What is Egyptian Blue?
5. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
6. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
7. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
8. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
9. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
10. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of Carver's main talents, and how did these affect his success throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)