|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrated "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
2. Where does "A Ship Without a Rudder" take place?
3. How did Watkins meet Carver?
4. What amazed Pammel about Carver?
5. Why was a family sitting on the train tracks in "Coincidence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
2. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
3. What did Moses say to Carver in "A Patriarch's Blessing"?
4. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
5. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
6. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
7. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
8. What is "Cercospora" about?
9. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
10. Who was Ol' John in "Chicken-Talk"?
Essay Topic 1
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education were topics of discussion in this book. Where did these topics appear in this book, and what affect did they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)