|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrated "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
2. Who defended Carver when a student tried to insult him?
3. What society in College did Carver organize?
4. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee think he had higher pay than them?
5. In "Four a.m. in the Woods," what did Carver love about the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
2. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
3. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
4. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
5. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
6. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
7. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
8. What is "Cercospora" about?
9. What was "Drifter" about?
10. What is Egyptian Blue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)