|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee think he had higher pay than them?
2. What did the students' parents at Tuskagee do for a living?
3. In "Cafeteria Food," how did Carver say he wanted to serve blacks?
4. How did Jim die?
5. Where did George find the Ivory handled knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
2. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
3. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
4. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
5. What is "Cercospora" about?
6. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
7. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
8. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
9. What is Egyptian Blue?
10. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Carver's upbringing unique for the time, and how did he respond to this?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Protection was a strong theme in this story. Where did this theme appear, and which people were most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)