|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Miss bud say she sent Carver home?
2. What did the students' parents at Tuskagee do for a living?
3. Who was "1905" about?
4. How many paintings of Carver's were displayed at the World Fair?
5. What amazed Pammel about Carver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Cercospora" about?
2. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
3. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
4. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
5. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
6. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
7. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
8. What was "My People" about?
9. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
10. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Carver differ from most of the people around him, and how did he deal with these differences?
Essay Topic 2
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how was it presented?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)