|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the train in "Coincidence" delayed?
2. In "Four a.m. in the Woods," what did Carver realize?
3. What is an invertebrate?
4. Where did George first see the Ivory handled knife?
5. What did Carver name one of the chickens in "Poultry Husbandry"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
2. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
3. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
4. What is "Cercospora" about?
5. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
6. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
7. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
8. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
9. What was "Drifter" about?
10. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes was quite a significant theme in this book. What were these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the inventions and advances made by Carver that we are still enjoying today, and how did these come to be?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of Carver's main talents, and how did these affect his success throughout his life?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)