Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "Dawn Walk" take place?
2. What did Carver teach former slaves about in "1905"?
3. Who was "1905" about?
4. Where did "The Perceiving Self" take place?
5. How did Carver's colleagues at Tuskagee describe Carver's accent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Booker T. Washington offend Carver in "The New Rooster"?
2. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
3. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
4. How did Carver embarrass someone in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
5. How did Carver honor Ford in "Mineralogy"?
6. What was "Drifter" about?
7. In "Washboard Wizard," what was Carver good at?
8. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
9. What is Egyptian Blue?
10. What caused a student to doubt God in "Goliath"?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity was a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and was manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)