|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazed Pammel about Carver?
2. How often did Carver's boss at Tuskegee want reports about his chickens?
3. How did Jim die?
4. What did Carver teach his assistants in "1905"?
5. How many acres did the homesteader in "Old Settlers' Reunion" own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Cercospora" about?
2. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
3. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
4. What is Egyptian Blue?
5. What was "My People" about?
6. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
7. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
8. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
9. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
10. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use poems to present this life story, and what are some of the good and bad sides to this unique form of narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature was a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where did this symbol appear, and what role did it play in the book?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)