|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Carver born?
2. Where did Carver live in "Washboard Wizard"?
3. Who did Carver hope to honor with his work in "Odalisque"?
4. What was Carver's nickname in College?
5. Why did Miss bud say she sent Carver home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "My People" about?
2. What happened in "The Perceiving Self"?
3. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
4. What did Carver do in "Chemistry 101"?
5. In "From an Alabama Farmer," what is Carver thanked for?
6. What was "Drifter" about?
7. What offended the narrator of "Odalisque"?
8. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
9. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
10. In "Cafeteria Food," what did Carver say he could always count on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how was it presented?
Essay Topic 2
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 3
How did the relationship between Carver and Sarah end, and why? How did this affect their lives?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)