|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the train in "Coincidence" delayed?
2. What caused Carver to laugh in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
3. Where did "Dawn Walk" take place?
4. What did the homesteader in "Old Settlers' Reunion" say Geroge did in the fields?
5. In "Poultry Husbandry," how were Carver and his many tasks described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Egyptian Blue?
2. What was Carver asked to do in "Called"?
3. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
4. In "Cafeteria Food," what did Carver say he could always count on?
5. In "The Prayer of Miss Budd," what was Miss Budd praying for?
6. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
7. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
8. In "The Last Rose of Summer," what did Carver say led to his piano lessons?
9. What did Carver discover in "Four a.m. in the Woods"?
10. What is "Cercospora" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marilyn Nelson. What were some of these symbols, and how did their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the people in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What were the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)