|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose perspective is "Out of 'Slaves' Ransom," from?
2. Where did Carver live in "Washboard Wizard"?
3. What confuses John Bentley about Susan Carver?
4. Who was Moses Carver?
5. What did Carver teach his assistants in "1905"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pammel say Carver did for others in "Green-Thumb Boy," and why was this so strange at this time?
2. In "From an Alabama Farmer," what is Carver thanked for?
3. What did Carver say there was beauty in in "Clay"?
4. What confuses Carver so much in "Coincidence"?
5. What was "Drifter" about?
6. What is Egyptian Blue?
7. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
8. In "Prayer of the Ivory-Handled Knife," where did George find the knife?
9. What made Carver so well-liked in college?
10. In "Dawn Walk," why did Carver have such a hard time teaching the black students at Tuskagee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Carver differ from most of the people around him, and how did he deal with these differences?
Essay Topic 3
This book took place during World War I. How did this historical and world changing event affect this plot and the people in it?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)