|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Miss Bud Teach?
2. Who narrated "Odalisque"?
3. What religious group did Carver join in college?
4. Who was Moses Carver?
5. What was "The Last Rose of Summer" about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What achievement did Carver accomplish in "A Charmed Life"?
2. What was "Drifter" about?
3. What did Mary Carver's bill of sale say in "Beside Reading"?
4. What gave Carver hope in "Poultry Husbandry"?
5. In "Old Settlers' Reunion," what did the homesteader say was strange about Carver?
6. In "Watkins Laundry and Apothecary," what did Carver say about a flower?
7. What is Egyptian Blue?
8. In "A Ship Without a Rudder," how did Helen help Carver?
9. What did Carver do while courting Sarah?
10. What did Carver do for former slaves in "1905"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these people, and how did their sacrifices affect the other people around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward?
Essay Topic 2
How did Carver respond to the death of Booker T. Washington?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy was a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What were some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)