|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Carver show the government in "Out of the Fire"?
(a) How to use peanuts.
(b) How to fertilize fields.
(c) How to dehydrate food.
(d) How to burn stubbled fields.
2. What honor is Carver given in "Out of the Fire"?
(a) He is named head of the Tuskegee Institute.
(b) He is asked to serve on the President's Cabinet.
(c) He is named a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Arts.
(d) He is given inheritance from Booker T. Washington.
3. In "Last Talks with Jim Hardwick," what did Carver call nature?
(a) A conserver.
(b) His destiny.
(c) The mother of all.
(d) His binding tie to Earth.
4. In "The Penol Cures," what cured a disease?
(a) Peanut oil.
(b) Rose oil.
(c) Castor oil.
(d) Lavender oil.
5. Why was a student doubting God in "Goliath"?
(a) His mother died.
(b) He was mugged and beat.
(c) An orphanage burned down.
(d) A black man was lynched.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of patient did Carver refuse to treat in "The Penol Cures"?
2. Who did Carver pray for when the KKK marched against the Tuskegee hospital?
3. What maneuver did the black pilot do for Carver in "Moton Field"?
4. How did Carver keep in touch with his boys in "Lovingly Sons"?
5. Where did black WWI veterans receive discrimination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carver tell Hardwick he thought would happen to him when he died?
2. How and when did Carver learn about Moses's death?
3. In "Lovingly Sons," what did Carver's boys say he did for them?
4. What did Carver say about God in "The Wild Garden"?
5. How did someone try to offend Carver in "House of Ways and Means"?
6. In "The Joy of Sewing," what caused people to laugh at Carver, and how did he respond to this?
7. What was "The Dimensions of the Milky Way" about?
8. What was Carver's view of God in "Professor Carver's Bible Class"?
9. Why did Carver write to Mrs. Hardwick?
10. In "My Beloved Friend," what did Carver praise Hardwick for?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)