|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was "My Beloved Friend" written to?
2. In "House of Ways and Means" what did Carver want a protective tariff for?
(d) Birch seeds.
3. What kind of patient did Carver refuse to treat in "The Penol Cures"?
(a) A mean one.
(b) A white one.
(c) An old one.
(d) An infant.
4. When was "The Year of the Sky-Smear"?
5. Where did Booker T. Washington die?
(a) His classroom.
(b) His office.
(c) His bed.
(d) The hospital.
6. In "The Wild Garden," what did Carver say men could have a balanced diet of?
(b) Bread and water.
(c) Flowers and bulbs.
(d) Wild vegetables.
7. Why did Carver refuse to many assistants before Curtis came along?
(a) All of these.
(b) He was afraid of plagiarism.
(c) They were not bright enough to work with him.
(d) He liked working alone.
8. In "Letter to Mrs. Hardwick," what was Carver so surprised about?
(a) Hardwck was quitting.
(b) Hardwick was moving.
(c) Hardwick was sick.
(d) Hardwick was married.
9. What did Carver show the government in "Out of the Fire"?
(a) How to dehydrate food.
(b) How to fertilize fields.
(c) How to use peanuts.
(d) How to burn stubbled fields.
10. Where did black WWI veterans receive discrimination?
(a) War monuments.
(d) Government buildings.
11. In "The New Rooster," what was Bridgeforth's occupation?
12. In "The Dimensions of the Milky Way," what did Carver say the universe was made of?
(c) Water and soul.
13. What form was "My Dear Spiritual Boy" written in?
(a) An article.
(b) A letter.
(c) A journal entry.
(d) A song.
14. In "Letter to Mrs. Hardwick," what relation did Carver say he would never have?
(a) A mentor.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) A best friend.
(d) A marriage.
15. How was Carver hounded about the missing chickens in "Chicken-Talk"?
(a) He got daily telegrams.
(b) He had bi-weekly meetings.
(c) He got weekly phonecalls.
(d) He had monthly visits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carver say WWI taught him in "House of Ways and Means"?
2. Who did Carver pray for when the KKK marched against the Tuskegee hospital?
3. Who was Carver told he shamed in "Eureka"?
4. What was different about Hardwick from all of Carver's other boys?
5. How did Carver tell his students to defeat their own "Goliath"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)