|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Carver hope to honor with his work in "Odalisque"?
(a) Black people.
(b) The professors at Tuskagee.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
2. How often did Carver's boss at Tuskegee want reports about his chickens?
3. How old was Mary when she was sold into slavery?
4. What was Carver thanked for in "From an Alabama Farmer"?
(a) Creating the agricultural program.
(b) Showing someone how to fertilize fields.
(c) Not forgetting his roots.
(d) Teaching black students.
5. How did Watkins meet Carver?
(a) He hired him at his laundromat.
(b) He took him as a boarder.
(c) He bought him as a slave.
(d) He was a student of his.
6. What stuck out of the students' shoes in "Dawn Walk"?
(a) The steel toes.
(b) Their toes.
(c) Their socks.
(d) The whale boning.
7. Where did "The Perceiving Self" take place?
(b) South Carolina.
8. What was Pammel's occupation?
9. Why did Carver's colleague's at Tuskagee think he had higher pay than them?
(a) He graduated from a white school.
(b) He was older.
(c) He was a recruiter.
(d) He was friends with Booker T. Washington.
10. How did Miss Bud describe Carver's work?
(a) All of these.
(b) He was inventive and creative.
(c) His work was laced with a sense of loss.
(d) He reveled the truth in his work.
11. Why did Susan think her adopted children would always be hated?
(a) They were foreigners.
(b) They were black.
(c) They were disabled.
(d) They were too smart.
12. What kind of studio did Carver ask for in "Odalisque"?
(a) A green house.
(b) A painting studio.
(c) A labratory.
(d) A writing studio.
13. Why was a family sitting on the train tracks in "Coincidence"?
(a) To slow the train.
(b) To get a ride on the train.
(c) To commit suicide.
(d) To send a message.
14. In "Poultry Husbandry," how were Carver and his many tasks described?
15. What caused Carver to laugh in "The Nervous System of the Beetle"?
(a) Someone called him an invertebrate.
(b) Someone said a beetle had a backbone.
(c) A textbook was mislabeled.
(d) A teacher gets confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the train in "Coincidence" delayed?
2. What is the name of Carver's brother?
3. What kind of doctor did Susan say George was?
4. How did Helen Winterset feel about Carver?
5. How did Carver pay for his piano lessons?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)