|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Watkins realize George was meant for greatness?
(a) When she read his writing.
(b) When she saw him holding a flower.
(c) When she saw him work so hard at school.
(d) When she heard him read.
2. How many stillborn children did Carver's mother have?
3. In "Poultry Husbandry," how were Carver and his many tasks described?
4. In "The Perceiving Self," what did Carver witness?
(a) A slave market.
(b) A trial.
(c) A lynching.
(d) A symposium.
5. In "Poultry Husbandry," why did the chickens start killing each other?
(a) They were dirty.
(b) They were bored.
(c) They were sick.
(d) They were hungry.
6. What did Pammel say Carver did to other people?
(a) Inspired them.
(b) Brought out the best in them.
(c) Embarrassed them.
(d) Insulted them.
7. What kind of doctor did Susan say George was?
(a) Tree doctor.
(b) Plant doctor.
(c) Spiritual doctor.
(d) Friendship doctor.
8. Who was "1905" about?
(a) Booker T. Washington.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(d) Albert Einstein.
9. Where did "The Perceiving Self" take place?
(b) South Carolina.
10. In "Four a.m. in the Woods," what did Carver love about the woods?
(a) The darkness.
(b) The mist.
(c) The cold.
(d) The quiet.
11. What did the students' parents at Tuskagee do for a living?
(a) They were farmers.
(b) They were slaves.
(c) They were industry workers.
(d) They were plantation inheritors.
12. In "Chemistry 101," what did Carver want his students to imagine?
(a) The tiny organisms all around them.
(b) All their possibilities.
(c) The future.
(d) How things were a hundred years back.
13. What is an invertebrate?
(a) A kind of worm.
(b) A sea creature.
(c) A creature with no back bone.
(d) An armored reptile.
14. Where did Miss Bud Teach?
(b) Rosevill University.
(c) Simpson College.
(d) Tuskagee Institute.
15. How did Helen Winterset feel about Carver?
(a) She was worried about him.
(b) She adored him.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She was afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose perspective is "Out of 'Slaves' Ransom," from?
2. What is the name of Carver's brother?
3. What was Carver's nickname in College?
4. What was "The Last Rose of Summer" about?
5. What did Carver teach former slaves about in "1905"?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)