|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pattern does Davies say he would like better than the pattern Aston gives him?
2. Where does Aston most likely get his money?
3. Which character best fits the stereotypical portrait of a welfare recipient?
4. Which character can best be described as belligerent?
5. What does Aston claim is in the bag he brings home the first day Davies stays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are there in the play? How does foreshadowing contribute to the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)