|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one word to describe Aston?
2. What is Davies's real name?
3. What represents Aston's good deeds?
4. How long did Davies work before he was fired?
5. What does Davies deny the first morning he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
2. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
3. What factors make it difficult for Aston to continue helping Davies?
4. How is irony used in Act I?
5. Why does Mick feel as if he has to protect Aston?
6. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
7. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
8. Why does Mick pay off Davies after he insults him?
9. Why does Mick tell Davies he will kick Aston out of the house?
10. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the play's ambiguous ending? What predictions is the reader supposed to make based on the ending of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the past of each character significant to the events in The Caretaker?
Essay Topic 3
The play is divided into three acts. Why is this significant? What is the purpose of each act? Is it significant that there are only three characters as well? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)