|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a bucket in the room in which Act I takes place?
2. How is the reader meant to feel about Davies?
3. Why does Davies need to go to Sidcup?
4. Where does Davies sleep the first night after he is saved from a brawl?
5. What is the first important event in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aston stand up for the tramp when he is about to get into a fight with the restaurant employer?
2. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
3. How does Mick respond to Davies' complaints in Act III?
4. What are some of the complaints Davies has about Aston in Act III?
5. What foreshadowing is indicated in the fact that Davies was fired?
6. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
7. What motivates Davies?
8. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
9. What is the Buddha statue symbolic of?
10. How does Davies feel about being fired from the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance in having only three characters in the play? How does the small number of characters benefit the story? What consequences are a result of having so few characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)