|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Davies and Aston clear away the first night Davies stays?
2. What is one word to describe Aston?
3. What does Davies feel his life lacks?
4. Which description best matches Davies?
5. What is Davies's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the conflict in Act I?
2. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
3. In Act II, does Aston seem satisfied in his efforts to help Davies?
4. What is the Buddha statue symbolic of?
5. What foreshadowing is indicated in the fact that Davies was fired?
6. Which character best represents the voice of reason in the play?
7. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
8. What is wrong with the shoes that Aston brings for Davies? Does Davies have valid complaints?
9. What negative things does Aston put up with in Act II?
10. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main goal of each character? What evidence exists of this goal? What do they hope to accomplish by the time the play is over?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)