Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Davies and Aston spend the time clearing things from the room?
2. What is one word to describe Aston?
3. What represents Aston's good deeds?
4. How old is Aston?
5. What thing does Davies claim to have several of that is odd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aston show that he is thankful for the help that Mick gives him?
2. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
3. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
4. Both Aston and Mick offer Davies the same job. Why do they have different reasons for offering the job to him?
5. Describe the setting of Act I.
6. What is the first instance of Davies being picky?
7. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
8. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
9. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
10. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main goal of each character? What evidence exists of this goal? What do they hope to accomplish by the time the play is over?
Essay Topic 3
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)