|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which description best matches Davies?
2. How does Davies claim to have been treated when he went to get a donation?
3. According to Davies, who lives next door?
4. Where does Davies go to get a donation?
5. What is the first important event in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character best represents the voice of reason in the play?
2. How is irony used in Act I?
3. In Act II, does Aston seem satisfied in his efforts to help Davies?
4. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
5. Where does it seem that Aston gets money?
6. Why does Aston stand up for the tramp when he is about to get into a fight with the restaurant employer?
7. Why does Aston want to build a shed?
8. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
9. How does Davies feel about being fired from the restaurant?
10. What motivates Davies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mick and Aston are brothers who watch out for each other. What is their relationship like? Why do they have this relationship? Why is the relationship between Mick and Aston an important plot point in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)