|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't Davies get stamped because he doesn't have his papers ?
2. What does Aston give Davies after offering him a place to stay?
3. What represents Aston's good deeds?
4. What does Davies do when Aston leaves the first morning?
5. Why is Davies fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Aston and Mick offer Davies the same job. Why do they have different reasons for offering the job to him?
2. What might the reason be for Davies being chased away from the monastery?
3. Which character has the most painful past?
4. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
5. Why does Davies deny making noises in his sleep rather than just admitting it?
6. Describe the setting of Act I.
7. What motivates Davies?
8. Is there any evidence of Aston's mental illness in the play?
9. Why does Aston want to build the shed before going after the man who hurt him?
10. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What specific part of the play is considered the climax? What effect does the climax have on the play? What does it reveal about the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How is altruism a theme in The Caretaker? How is selfishness also a juxtaposing theme in the play? What role do both of these play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)