|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Davies sleep the first night after he is saved from a brawl?
2. How did Davies feel about his job?
3. What noises does Davies make in his sleep?
4. Why does Davies not wear Aston's shoes?
5. What clothing item does Davies claim he needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the reason be for Davies being chased away from the monastery?
2. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
3. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
4. Why was Davies fired?
5. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
6. Is there any evidence of Aston's mental illness in the play?
7. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
8. What is the first instance of Davies's complaints that make Aston angry?
9. Describe the setting of Act I.
10. Describe the climax in Act III.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aston reveals to Davies that he has a mental illness and has been treated for it in a harsh way. What role does Aston's mental illness play in the story? Is it a subplot or part of the main conflict? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the past of each character significant to the events in The Caretaker?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)