|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms make up Act I's setting?
2. According to Davies, who lives next door?
3. Why does Davies not wear Aston's shoes?
4. How old is Mick?
5. Which of the following is part of the setting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Aston be receiving so much help from Mick?
2. How does Mick respond to Davies' complaints in Act III?
3. What is the first instance of Davies's complaints that make Aston angry?
4. Why does Mick want to put a stop to Aston's assisting Davies?
5. What is the first instance of Davies being picky?
6. Does Aston receive any positive recognition for taking Davies in? How does this make him feel?
7. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
8. Describe the setting of Act I.
9. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
10. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
Essay Topic 1
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
Essay Topic 3
How is altruism a theme in The Caretaker? How is selfishness also a juxtaposing theme in the play? What role do both of these play in the story?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)