|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Davies, who lives next door?
2. Which description best matches Davies?
3. How many rooms make up Act I's setting?
4. What does Davies do when Aston leaves the first morning?
5. Where does Davies claim to have left his belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davies respond when Aston tells him he should find a new place to live?
2. What causes the conflict in Act I?
3. Describe the setting of Act I.
4. What is the first instance of Davies's complaints that make Aston angry?
5. Why does Mick throw the Buddha statue?
6. Describe the climax in Act III.
7. What is one of the major themes of Act I?
8. Does Aston receive any positive recognition for taking Davies in? How does this make him feel?
9. Why does Davies have several insurance cards?
10. What is wrong with the shoes that Aston brings for Davies? Does Davies have valid complaints?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the setting important to the play? What is special about the room being a setting? Why is another type of setting incompatible with the play?
Essay Topic 3
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)