|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one word to describe Davies?
2. What is the first important event in the play?
3. What is one word to describe Aston?
4. According to Davies, who lives next door?
5. What does Aston give Davies after offering him a place to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Davies promise to do if Aston lets him stay? Is he genuine?
2. Describe Mick.
3. Why does Davies have several insurance cards?
4. What is the first instance of Davies's complaints that make Aston angry?
5. How is irony used in Act I?
6. In Act II, does Aston seem satisfied in his efforts to help Davies?
7. Why does Mick feel as if he has to protect Aston?
8. Describe the climax in Act III.
9. What is the first instance of Davies being picky?
10. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is divided into three acts. Why is this significant? What is the purpose of each act? Is it significant that there are only three characters as well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)