|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one word to describe Aston?
2. What were Davies's belongings in when he left them?
3. Why is Davies fired?
4. What is on top of the gas stove?
5. What can't Davies get stamped because he doesn't have his papers ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aston stand up for the tramp when he is about to get into a fight with the restaurant employer?
2. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
3. Why does Mick feel as if he has to protect Aston?
4. Describe the setting of Act I.
5. How does Davies respond when Aston tells him he should find a new place to live?
6. What altruistic deed does Mick do for Aston?
7. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
8. Why does Mick throw the Buddha statue?
9. Where does it seem that Aston gets money?
10. Why does Aston want to build the shed before going after the man who hurt him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? What evidence points to the play's title being relevant to the story? Is there anything ironic about the title?
Essay Topic 2
Who does "The Caretaker" in the play's title refer to? Give at least five pieces of evidence to add strength to your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)