|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Davies do when Aston leaves the first morning?
2. What is Davies's real name?
3. How many beds are in the room in which Act I takes place?
4. What does Mick do when he is at Aston's house?
5. How is the reader meant to feel about Aston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mick tell Davies he will kick Aston out of the house?
2. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
3. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
4. Why does Mick want to put a stop to Aston's assisting Davies?
5. Why does Aston want to build a shed?
6. Which character best represents the voice of reason in the play?
7. What are some of the complaints Davies has about Aston in Act III?
8. Where does it seem that Aston gets money?
9. Why does Davies deny making noises in his sleep rather than just admitting it?
10. Why does Mick offer to sell the house to Davies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance in having only three characters in the play? How does the small number of characters benefit the story? What consequences are a result of having so few characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
Essay Topic 3
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)