|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aston leave with Davies as he leaves on the first morning?
2. Where does Aston keep the pair of shoes that he offers to Davies?
3. What clothing item does Davies claim he needs?
4. According to Davies, who lives next door?
5. What is symbolic of religion not being the reason why Aston takes in Davies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
2. Does Davies ever show signs of satisfaction?
3. How does Aston show that he is thankful for the help that Mick gives him?
4. Describe the setting of Act I.
5. What foreshadowing is indicated in the fact that Davies was fired?
6. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
7. How does Davies feel about being fired from the restaurant?
8. Which character has the most painful past?
9. Describe the climax in Act III.
10. What motivates Davies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
Essay Topic 2
How is altruism a theme in The Caretaker? How is selfishness also a juxtaposing theme in the play? What role do both of these play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)