|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one word to describe Davies?
2. Why is there a bucket in the room in which Act I takes place?
3. What can't Davies get stamped because he doesn't have his papers ?
4. What does Mick do when he is at Aston's house?
5. What do Davies and Aston clear away the first night Davies stays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Davies deny making noises in his sleep rather than just admitting it?
2. Describe the climax in Act III.
3. What causes the conflict in Act I?
4. What mutual agreement do Aston and Mick come to at the end of the play?
5. Does Aston receive any positive recognition for taking Davies in? How does this make him feel?
6. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
7. Why does Mick want to put a stop to Aston's assisting Davies?
8. Why does Mick pay off Davies after he insults him?
9. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
10. Describe the setting of Act I.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance in having only three characters in the play? How does the small number of characters benefit the story? What consequences are a result of having so few characters?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three main characters in The Caretaker and analyze them. Consider the dialogue they use, the way they earn their money, and their past. What kind of a person is this character? How developed is the character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main goal of each character? What evidence exists of this goal? What do they hope to accomplish by the time the play is over?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)