|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Davies leave his belongings?
2. How does Davies claim to have been treated when he went to get a donation?
3. Where does Davies go to get a donation?
4. Who was about to hit Davies when Aston stepped in?
5. What is on top of the gas stove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Davies?
2. Is there any evidence of Aston's mental illness in the play?
3. What might the reason be for Davies being chased away from the monastery?
4. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
5. What altruistic deed does Mick do for Aston?
6. Does Aston receive any positive recognition for taking Davies in? How does this make him feel?
7. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
8. While the Buddha statue is symbolic, in what way is it shown that the statue does not represent the specific reason why Aston does good deeds?
9. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
10. What does Davies promise to do if Aston lets him stay? Is he genuine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the play's ambiguous ending? What predictions is the reader supposed to make based on the ending of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance in having only three characters in the play? How does the small number of characters benefit the story? What consequences are a result of having so few characters?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the past of each character significant to the events in The Caretaker?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)