|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Davies's real name?
2. How long does Aston offer his home to Davies?
3. Who was about to hit Davies when Aston stepped in?
4. What can't Davies get stamped because he doesn't have his papers ?
5. How old is Aston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davies respond when Aston tells him he should find a new place to live?
2. How does Davies feel about being fired from the restaurant?
3. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
4. Describe Aston's experience at the mental hospital.
5. What motivates Davies?
6. According to the play's message, when is altruism best?
7. What is wrong with the shoes that Aston brings for Davies? Does Davies have valid complaints?
8. Both Aston and Mick offer Davies the same job. Why do they have different reasons for offering the job to him?
9. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
10. Why was Davies fired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? What evidence points to the play's title being relevant to the story? Is there anything ironic about the title?
Essay Topic 2
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
Essay Topic 3
Aston reveals to Davies that he has a mental illness and has been treated for it in a harsh way. What role does Aston's mental illness play in the story? Is it a subplot or part of the main conflict? Why?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)