|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary element is shown in Davies getting fired?
2. What can't Davies get stamped because he doesn't have his papers ?
3. When Aston asks Davies who was making noises at night, who does he claim made them?
4. What is symbolic of religion not being the reason why Aston takes in Davies?
5. How is the reader meant to feel about Davies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is irony used in Act I?
2. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
3. What motivates Davies?
4. Does Davies ever show signs of satisfaction?
5. Why does Davies deny making noises in his sleep rather than just admitting it?
6. What might the reason be for Davies being chased away from the monastery?
7. What altruistic deed does Mick do for Aston?
8. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
9. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
10. Why does Mick feel as if he has to protect Aston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance in having only three characters in the play? How does the small number of characters benefit the story? What consequences are a result of having so few characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the setting important to the play? What is special about the room being a setting? Why is another type of setting incompatible with the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is altruism a theme in The Caretaker? How is selfishness also a juxtaposing theme in the play? What role do both of these play in the story?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)