|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Davies and Aston spend the time clearing things from the room?
2. What is one word to describe Aston?
3. What represents Aston's good deeds?
4. How old is Aston?
5. What thing does Davies claim to have several of that is odd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aston show that he is thankful for the help that Mick gives him?
2. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
3. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
4. Both Aston and Mick offer Davies the same job. Why do they have different reasons for offering the job to him?
5. Describe the setting of Act I.
6. What is the first instance of Davies being picky?
7. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
8. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
9. Why does Davies insult Aston's mental illness?
10. What physical items does Davies get from Aston in Act I?
Essay Topic 1
Why is the past of each character significant to the events in The Caretaker?
Essay Topic 2
Aston reveals to Davies that he has a mental illness and has been treated for it in a harsh way. What role does Aston's mental illness play in the story? Is it a subplot or part of the main conflict? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How is altruism a theme in The Caretaker? How is selfishness also a juxtaposing theme in the play? What role do both of these play in the story?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)