|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aston asks Davies who was making noises at night, who does he claim made them?
2. What do Davies and Aston clear away the first night Davies stays?
3. Which of the following is a theme in the play?
4. What is wrong with the papers that Davies cannot use them?
5. What is the first important event in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mick to finally show anger toward Davies?
2. Does Davies ever show signs of satisfaction?
3. What is the Buddha statue symbolic of?
4. Describe the setting of Act I.
5. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
6. Describe the climax in Act III.
7. What prompts Aston to finally start packing a bag for Davies to leave?
8. Describe Mick.
9. How does Davies respond when Aston tells him he should find a new place to live?
10. How does Mick respond to Davies' complaints in Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three main characters in The Caretaker and analyze them. Consider the dialogue they use, the way they earn their money, and their past. What kind of a person is this character? How developed is the character?
Essay Topic 3
Aston reveals to Davies that he has a mental illness and has been treated for it in a harsh way. What role does Aston's mental illness play in the story? Is it a subplot or part of the main conflict? Why?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)