|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Davies not wear Aston's shoes?
2. Where does Davies sleep the first night after he is saved from a brawl?
3. What evidence of home restoration is there in Act I's setting?
4. What is on top of the gas stove?
5. Which of the following is part of the setting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Aston be receiving so much help from Mick?
2. While the Buddha statue is symbolic, in what way is it shown that the statue does not represent the specific reason why Aston does good deeds?
3. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
4. Is there any evidence of Aston's mental illness in the play?
5. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
6. Why does Davies have several insurance cards?
7. What is wrong with the shoes that Aston brings for Davies? Does Davies have valid complaints?
8. In what ways does Davies show he has unjustified expectations in Act I?
9. How is irony used in Act I?
10. What are some of the complaints Davies has about Aston in Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three main characters in The Caretaker and analyze them. Consider the dialogue they use, the way they earn their money, and their past. What kind of a person is this character? How developed is the character?
Essay Topic 2
Davies has unjustified expectations of the way he should be treated. How is this represented in his words and deeds? How do the other characters react to this? How does it become part of the central conflict?
Essay Topic 3
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)