|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms make up Act I's setting?
2. What is the first important event in the play?
3. Why does Davies not wear Aston's shoes?
4. What evidence of home restoration is there in Act I's setting?
5. What does Davies feel his life lacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character best represents the voice of reason in the play?
2. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
3. Both Aston and Mick offer Davies the same job. Why do they have different reasons for offering the job to him?
4. What causes the conflict in Act I?
5. What is Mick's first impression of Davies?
6. Why does Aston want to build a shed?
7. Why does Davies have several insurance cards?
8. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
9. Why might Aston be receiving so much help from Mick?
10. How does Davies feel about being fired from the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
Essay Topic 2
What specific part of the play is considered the climax? What effect does the climax have on the play? What does it reveal about the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Harold Pinter choose to make The Caretaker a play as opposed to a novel or short story? What elements of the story make it ideal for a play?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)