|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a theme in the play?
2. How is the reader meant to feel about Aston?
3. How are Mick and Aston related?
4. Why does Davies not wear Aston's shoes?
5. What is symbolic of religion not being the reason why Aston takes in Davies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any evidence of Aston's mental illness in the play?
2. Describe the setting of Act I.
3. What motivates Davies?
4. Why is Davies so defensive that he actually pulls a knife on Mick when he is scared by him?
5. How does Davies respond when Aston tells him he should find a new place to live?
6. What causes Mick to finally show anger toward Davies?
7. Does Davies ever show signs of satisfaction?
8. Why does Mick throw the Buddha statue?
9. What are some of the complaints Davies has about Aston in Act III?
10. Why does Mick offer Davies the job of caretaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? What evidence points to the play's title being relevant to the story? Is there anything ironic about the title?
Essay Topic 2
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
Essay Topic 3
What items in the play are elements of symbolism? One important example is the Buddha statue. Why is this particular figure symbolic?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)