|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Davies claim to have been treated when he went to get a donation?
2. What might Davies have stolen?
3. How long did Davies work before he was fired?
4. Why did Davies leave his belongings?
5. How is the reader meant to feel about Aston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mick feel as if he has to protect Aston?
2. How does Davies feel about the clothes that Aston brings home for him?
3. What is ironic about Davies complaining about the window?
4. In what way is Mick "the caretaker" mentioned in the play's title?
5. Describe Aston's experience at the mental hospital.
6. Why does Mick want to put a stop to Aston's assisting Davies?
7. What factors make it difficult for Aston to continue helping Davies?
8. Is Aston at all self-centered in taking in Davies?
9. Why might Aston be receiving so much help from Mick?
10. What causes the conflict in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What specific part of the play is considered the climax? What effect does the climax have on the play? What does it reveal about the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the central cause of conflict in The Caretaker? What characters cause the conflict and which try to appease it?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the setting important to the play? What is special about the room being a setting? Why is another type of setting incompatible with the play?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)