|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Poirot talks to the staff, how many letters does he learn that Mrs. Lorrimer sent out?
2. How does Poirot entertain Rhoda?
3. How does Anne feel around Rhoda?
4. Where do Rhoda and Anne go in Chapter 17?
5. How does Major Despard claim to have saved his employer from drowning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Cards on the Table? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Hercule Poirot? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)