|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the sergeant that interrogates the parlor maid?
2. What effect does Mrs. Lorrimer's confession have on Poirot?
3. Who does the widow claim fired a gun in self-defense?
4. What mystery surrounds Major Despard's employer's death?
5. Whose mannerisms does Poirot adopt when he visits the widow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Cards on the Table? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Hercule Poirot? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Christie's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)