|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shaitana do to women after learning their secrets?
2. What does Poirot buy after leaving the widow's residence?
3. Who does Poirot find out was visiting Mrs. Lorrimer prior to her death?
4. When Poirot talks to the staff, how many letters does he learn that Mrs. Lorrimer sent out?
5. How does Major Despard claim to have saved his employer from drowning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Hercule Poirot and Superintendent Battle are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Poirot to the Superintendent Battle. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Poirot offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Poirot offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision, and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-twentieth century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)