|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poirot think about Major Despard's playing?
2. How is Despard's interview different from that of other suspects?
3. Where was Miss Meredith born?
4. Who does the first sleuth tell that Anne and her employer are guilty of the murder?
5. Why did Shaitana invite the four suspects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
2. What about Anne's nature makes Rhoda desire to protect her?
3. How did Mrs. Lorrimer interact with Shaitana that night at his party?
4. What does Elsie reveal about Dr. Roberts that makes him a prime murder suspect?
5. What are Mrs. Oliver's conclusions and how do the other sleuths respond, if at all?
6. What does Dr. Roberts say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
7. How did Dr. Roberts kill Mrs. Lorrimer?
8. Describe Hercule Poirot.
9. What does Mrs. Lorrimer say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
10. In the process of setting up the investigation, what is discovered about Shaitana's intentions?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Christie's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)