|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shaitana go and sit after everyone is paired up?
2. What does Superintendent Battle ask Poirot after the second interview?
3. What is the mystery writer prone to do with facts?
4. What did the doctor notice about Mrs. Lorrimer while playing bridge?
5. Who does Lorrimer think is a cautious player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Poirot achieve through his psychological analysis of the murder suspects?
2. What is the shocking revelation that Poirot has about Mrs. Lorrimer and Miss Meredith?
3. What about Anne's nature makes Rhoda desire to protect her?
4. What seems inconsistent to Poirot with Mrs. Lorrimer's apparent suicide?
5. What does Dr. Roberts say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
6. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
7. Why does Poirot ask suspects about their bridge game?
8. What has Race discovered about Major Despard's past?
9. How do the four sleuths vary in their investigative styles?
10. What are Mrs. Oliver's conclusions and how do the other sleuths respond, if at all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Cards on the Table. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders, and how?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)