|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Lorrimer think is a show-off?
2. When asked who he suspects, who does Dr. Roberts think is the murderer?
3. What does Poirot think about Dr. Robert's playing?
4. What does Shaitana say is his preferred method of murder?
5. What does Shaitana say that doctors have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
2. What is the story that Mrs. Luxmore reveals to Poirot?
3. What are Mrs. Oliver's conclusions and how do the other sleuths respond, if at all?
4. Describe Shaitana.
5. Why does Poirot ask suspects about their bridge game?
6. How do the four sleuths vary in their investigative styles?
7. What did Poirot achieve through his psychological analysis of the murder suspects?
8. To whom did Mrs. Lorrimer send notes, and why is this important?
9. How does Dr. Roberts respond to Battle's questioning?
10. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the card game at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Cards on the Table? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Hercule Poirot? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Cards on the Table? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others, and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Poirot is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of Poirot as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created Poirot? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Christie chose Poirot as a main character?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)