|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Poirot question in the same style as he did with Mrs. Lorrimer?
2. What does Poirot think about Major Despard's playing?
3. Who are the four suspects?
4. What is Poirot's theory for identifying the suspect?
5. Who is the mystery writer in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Poirot intend on unmasking the murderer?
2. What seems inconsistent to Poirot with Mrs. Lorrimer's apparent suicide?
3. How does Shaitana set the stage for a fantastic dinner party?
4. How does the reader's perception of Anne change in Chapters 17 and 18?
5. Describe Major Despard.
6. Describe Shaitana.
7. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the room at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
8. How does Poirot outwit the doctor and get more information out of Dr. Roberts than he wants to give?
9. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
10. What does Major Despard's story of the incident in the Amazon reveal about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Hercule Poirot and Superintendent Battle are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Poirot to the Superintendent Battle. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Poirot offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Poirot offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision, and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Cards on the Table? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Hercule Poirot? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)