|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Superintendent Battle partnered with?
2. Who does Despard think is a good player?
3. What do each of the four sleuths reveal a preference for in Chapter 8?
4. What surprising knowledge does the doctor have about the bridge game that only he possesses?
5. What effect do Poirot's manners have on Mrs. Lorrimer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dr. Roberts kill Mrs. Lorrimer?
2. How do the four sleuths vary in their investigative styles?
3. Describe Shaitana.
4. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
5. How does Mrs. Lorrimer remain in character as Poirot expects?
6. What does Mrs. Lorrimer say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
7. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the room at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
8. What are Poirot's deductions of the bridge players?
9. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
10. What does Elsie reveal about Dr. Roberts that makes him a prime murder suspect?
Essay Topic 1
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Cards on the Table. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)