|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is solicitous and gentle when questioning Miss Meredith?
2. How many times does Lorrimer talk to Shaitana during the night of the murder?
3. Who is cheerful and ebullient in nature, and seems an unlikely murder suspect?
4. What kind of manners does Poirot reveal to Mrs. Lorrimer?
5. Who are the four suspects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Poirot's method of investigation?
2. What does Major Despard say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
3. In what ways does Mrs. Lorrimer show or not show emotion during her interview?
4. How does Poirot's analysis of Dr. Roberts vary from that of Miss Meredith?
5. What does the reference of "walking into the cage of a tiger" seem to imply?
6. How does Poirot intend on unmasking the murderer?
7. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
8. What is the shocking revelation that Poirot has about Mrs. Lorrimer and Miss Meredith?
9. How did Mrs. Lorrimer interact with Shaitana that night at his party?
10. Describe Shaitana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then, cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Poirot is an enigmatic and famous character in this book. Explain the history of Poirot as you know it. When did the character first appear in the book? What culture seemingly created Poirot? How has the character changed throughout history? Why do you think Christie chose Poirot as a main character?
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)