|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Shaitana's remarks affect some of his guests?
2. How does the author leave the reader feeling about Poirot and criminals by the end of Chapter 1?
3. What did the doctor notice about Miss Meredith's hands while playing bridge?
4. What does Shaitana call a woman's weapon?
5. What does the sleuth find in Dr. Roberts' files?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elsie reveal about Dr. Roberts that makes him a prime murder suspect?
2. Why did Mrs. Lorrimer protect Miss Meredith? Explain with details from the text.
3. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the card game at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
4. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the room at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
5. How does Meredith seem to implicate Mrs. Lorrimer as the murderer?
6. What does Anne do in her last act of revenge?
7. What does Dr. Roberts do or say that makes him appear innocent to Battle?
8. What about Mrs. Lorrimer's personality prevents her from being the murderer?
9. What does Major Despard say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
10. What is the trap that Poirot leaves for Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Hercule Poirot and Superintendent Battle are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Poirot to the Superintendent Battle. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Poirot offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Poirot offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision, and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Cards on the Table. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What specifically did Poirot do to evaluate Miss Meredith's character? Why was this important? Would Poirot have been able to prevent any murders? Why or why not?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)