|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Dr. Roberts leave his table on the night of the murder?
2. Where does Shaitana lead his guests after dinner?
3. How does Dr. Roberts rate himself as a card player?
4. How does the author leave the reader feeling about Poirot and criminals by the end of Chapter 1?
5. Who is Dr. Roberts' secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Lorrimer interact with Shaitana that night at his party?
2. What does Elsie reveal about Dr. Roberts that makes him a prime murder suspect?
3. What does Mrs. Lorrimer say about the behavior of men versus women that night at Shaitana's party?
4. What does Major Despard say in response to Poirot's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
5. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
6. Describe Shaitana.
7. When Poirot realizes that Mrs. Lorrimer has an exceptional memory, what else does he understood about her?
8. What are Poirot's deductions of the bridge players?
9. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
10. What are Poirot's deductions about the four possible murder suspects by Chapters 24 and 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What specifically did Poirot do to evaluate Miss Meredith's character? Why was this important? Would Poirot have been able to prevent any murders? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-twentieth century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Shaitana. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)