|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author leave the reader feeling about Poirot and criminals by the end of Chapter 1?
2. Where does Shaitana lead his guests after dinner?
3. How do Shaitana's remarks affect some of his guests?
4. How does Poirot intend on getting a psychological profile on murder suspects?
5. Who has to leave a little after midnight to go home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Major Despard say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
2. What has Race discovered about Major Despard's past?
3. What does the presence of four sleuths present to the murderer?
4. How does Dr. Roberts respond to Battle's questioning?
5. How does Poirot outwit the doctor and get more information out of Dr. Roberts than he wants to give?
6. What is the shocking revelation that Poirot has about Mrs. Lorrimer and Miss Meredith?
7. What two things about Rhoda irritate Anne?
8. How does Meredith seem to implicate Mrs. Lorrimer as the murderer?
9. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
10. What does Mrs. Lorrimer say about the behavior of men versus women that night at Shaitana's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cards on the Table is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What specifically did Poirot do to evaluate Miss Meredith's character? Why was this important? Would Poirot have been able to prevent any murders? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)