|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Dr. Roberts how well he knew his host and his companions?
2. Who approaches Shaitana to say goodbye?
3. What does Poirot express concern over?
4. What does Poirot think about Dr. Robert's playing?
5. What do each of the four sleuths reveal a preference for in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the trap that Poirot leaves for Anne?
2. What about Anne's nature makes Rhoda desire to protect her?
3. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the card game at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
4. How does Dr. Roberts respond to Battle's questioning?
5. What does Miss Burgess reveal about the doctor that is scandalous?
6. What does Major Despard's story of the incident in the Amazon reveal about himself?
7. What does the presence of four sleuths present to Poirot?
8. How does Mrs. Lorrimer remain in character as Poirot expects?
9. What does Anne do in her last act of revenge?
10. What does Shaitana do that is shocking and bizarre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Cards on the Table? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others, and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)