|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is seated by the fire?
2. What surprising knowledge does the doctor have about the bridge game that only he possesses?
3. Who does Despard think is a good player?
4. What does Poirot think about Miss Meredith's playing?
5. Who does Lorrimer think is a cautious player?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
2. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the room at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
3. How do the four sleuths vary in their investigative styles?
4. What does Major Despard say in response to Poirot's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
5. How does Poirot's analysis of Dr. Roberts vary from that of Miss Meredith?
6. How did Dr. Roberts kill Mrs. Lorrimer?
7. Describe Miss Meredith.
8. What does Dr. Roberts do or say that makes him appear innocent to Battle?
9. What did Poirot achieve through his psychological analysis of the murder suspects?
10. What does Major Despard say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Cards on the Table. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)