|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the mystery writer in Chapter 8?
2. What does Poirot think about Mrs. Lorrimer's playing?
3. When Mrs. Lorrimer tells M. Poirot that she has no obligation to speak to him about Shaitana's murder, what does he say or do?
4. Where does Poirot meet Shaitana?
5. What does the doctor give to the sleuth while leaving on his rounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rhoda Dawes.
2. What does the presence of four sleuths present to Poirot?
3. How does Mrs. Lorrimer remain in character as Poirot expects?
4. What does Major Despard say in response to Poirot's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
5. What has Race discovered about Major Despard's past?
6. What two things about Rhoda irritate Anne?
7. What does Anne recall from the night of the murder to Poirot?
8. What are Poirot's deductions of the bridge players?
9. What is the dangerous thing that Shaitana did that probably caused his death?
10. What does Dr. Roberts do or say that makes him appear innocent to Battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Major Despard's character, comparing and contrasting him with Rhoda Dawes and with Anne Meredith.
Essay Topic 2
Is Mr. Shaitana's dinner party an ill-advised attempt to study the mind of a murderer? Discuss Shaitana's motivation for the party.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then, cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)