|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shaitana discuss with his dinner guests about sleeping sickness?
2. What does Shaitana claim to collect?
3. Who is the second person that Superintendent Battle calls for?
4. Who is the mystery writer in Chapter 8?
5. Where does Poirot meet Shaitana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Poirot's deductions of the bridge players?
2. How does Poirot intend on unmasking the murderer?
3. How does Meredith seem to implicate Mrs. Lorrimer as the murderer?
4. How do the four sleuths vary in their investigative styles?
5. What is the shocking revelation that Poirot has about Mrs. Lorrimer and Miss Meredith?
6. How does Dr. Roberts respond to Battle's questioning?
7. What does Mrs. Lorrimer say in response to Battle's questions about Shaitana and the other guests?
8. How does Poirot's analysis of Dr. Roberts vary from that of Miss Meredith?
9. What seems inconsistent to Poirot with Mrs. Lorrimer's apparent suicide?
10. What is unusual about Poirot's method of investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-twentieth century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Cards on the Table is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)