|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second person that Superintendent Battle calls for?
2. Who does Mrs. Oliver immediately think is the murderer in Chapter 4?
3. Who is Mrs. Lorrimer partnered with?
4. How many times does Lorrimer talk to Shaitana during the night of the murder?
5. What is Poirot's theory for identifying the suspect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Poirot ask suspects about their bridge game?
2. What does Major Despard's story of the incident in the Amazon reveal about himself?
3. How is O'Connor able to elicit information from the parlor maid?
4. How did Dr. Roberts kill Mrs. Lorrimer?
5. Why did Mrs. Lorrimer protect Miss Meredith? Explain with details from the text.
6. Why does Rhoda call upon Mrs. Oliver?
7. What does Mrs. Lorrimer's memory about the room at Shaitana's party reveal about her?
8. What does Anne do in her last act of revenge?
9. What does the reference of "walking into the cage of a tiger" seem to imply?
10. What about Mrs. Lorrimer's personality prevents her from being the murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-twentieth century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anne Meredith. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Anne's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Major Despard's character, comparing and contrasting him with Rhoda Dawes and with Anne Meredith.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)