|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inocencio's ultimate plan?
2. What is Narciso's interest in Soledad at this point?
3. What happened every evening in Mexico City in 1910?
4. What does the Grandmother want to do immediately after the death of the little Grandfather?
5. What job did Soledad's son get in Chicago as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
2. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
3. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
4. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
5. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
6. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
7. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
8. What type of child was Inocencio?
9. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
10. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)