|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soledad throw at Inocencio when they argue?
2. How does Narciso later say he lost the body part in #92?
3. Where did Narciso live during the Mexican revolution?
4. How did Zoila consider killing the Grandmother?
5. Who does Inocencio marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
2. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
3. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
4. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
5. What type of child was Inocencio?
6. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
7. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
8. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
9. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
10. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
CARAMELO is a classic story of a family's efforts to preserve the past and secure heritage through stories and customs. What does that classification entail? Why does Cisneros' work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)