|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Soledad's son get in Chicago as an adult?
2. What does the Reyes family do at first when Soledad gets pregnant?
3. Why does Soledad have to find her own way home in Acapulco?
4. Who nurses Narciso when he returns home?
5. Why does the Awful Grandmother tell Celaya she needs injections?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
2. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
3. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
4. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
5. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
6. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
7. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
8. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
9. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
10. Describe Celaya's encounter with the Grandmother's ghost in Inocencio's hospital room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Soledad. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Soledad?
Essay Topic 2
CARAMELO is a classic story of a family's efforts to preserve the past and secure heritage through stories and customs. What does that classification entail? Why does Cisneros' work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)