|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Soledad's child?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother?
3. Why does the Awful Grandmother tell Celaya she needs injections?
4. Why does Soledad's daughter hate her?
5. What shocking news about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
2. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
3. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
4. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
5. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
6. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
7. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
8. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
9. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
10. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)