|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took Soledad's place in Inocencio's heart?
2. With whom had Inocencio had an affair at one time?
3. What was the Grandmother's disposition when the family moved to Chicago?
4. Who attended Soledad when she delivered her baby?
5. How many years did the Mexican revolution last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
2. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
3. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
4. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
5. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
6. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
7. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
8. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
9. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
10. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)