|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity do Soledad and her daughter share regarding marriage?
2. Who gave Inocencio the money to make the purchase in #137?
3. What does the Grandmother want to do immediately after the death of the little Grandfather?
4. What type of goods does the family business in Chicago now produce?
5. In what year did the Mexican revolution begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
2. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
3. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
4. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
5. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
6. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
7. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
8. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
9. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
10. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)