|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Eleuterio's father forced him to do the right thing?
2. To what city does the family move?
3. What illness befalls the Grandmother?
4. The Awful Grandmother's stories are all about _________________________.
5. Who does Inocencio marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
2. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
3. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
4. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
5. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
6. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
7. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
8. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
9. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
10. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)