|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soledad throw at Inocencio when they argue?
2. What is Inocencia's only daughter's name?
3. Why does Eleuterio not approve of the relationship Narciso has with a girl in the city in #94?
4. How many children do Inocencio and his wife have?
5. Why does the Awful Grandmother tell Celaya she needs injections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)