|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness besets Inocencio?
2. With which son does the Grandmother live in Chicago?
3. How does the little Grandfather die?
4. Who is Soledad's daughter?
5. Who is the boy that Celaya runs away with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
2. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
3. What type of child was Inocencio?
4. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
5. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
6. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
7. Describe Celaya's encounter with the Grandmother's ghost in Inocencio's hospital room.
8. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
9. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
10. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)