|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Narciso live during the Mexican revolution?
2. Who attended Soledad when she delivered her baby?
3. What does Inocencio buy in Texas without consulting his wife?
4. What does Celaya realize that she knows nothing about?
5. What does Celaya tell her mother that angers her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
2. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
3. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
4. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
5. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
6. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
7. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
8. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
9. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
10. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 2
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)