|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year of school does Celaya enter at her new school?
2. How many children do Inocencio and his wife have?
3. What does the Reyes family do at first when Soledad gets pregnant?
4. Why does Narciso need surgery?
5. Who does Inocencio marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
2. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
3. What type of child was Inocencio?
4. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
5. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
6. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
7. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
8. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
9. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
10. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)