|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year of school does Celaya enter at her new school?
2. How many years did the Mexican revolution last?
3. What happens between Narciso and Soledad when Soledad gets pregnant?
4. What does the Grandmother want to do immediately after the death of the little Grandfather?
5. Why does Celaya start having trouble at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
3. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
4. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
5. What type of child was Inocencio?
6. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
7. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
8. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
9. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
10. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)