|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did the Mexican revolution last?
2. Who would become another child of Soledad's?
3. What is Narciso's father's first name?
4. What type of goods does the family business in Chicago now produce?
5. To what city does Viva want to move and take Celaya with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
2. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
3. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
4. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
5. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
6. What type of child was Inocencio?
7. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
8. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
9. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
10. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Soledad. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Soledad?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Resentment seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is resentment in the Reyes family? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)