|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Narciso later say he lost the body part in #92?
2. What is Narciso's interest in Soledad at this point?
3. Where did Narciso live during the Mexican revolution?
4. What do the doctors take from Narciso during surgery?
5. What is Narciso's father's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
2. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
3. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
4. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
5. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
6. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
7. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
8. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
9. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
10. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
CARAMELO is a classic story of a family's efforts to preserve the past and secure heritage through stories and customs. What does that classification entail? Why does Cisneros' work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)