|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness befalls the Grandmother?
2. Who took Soledad's place in Inocencio's heart?
3. What does Celaya realize that she knows nothing about?
4. What happened every evening in Mexico City in 1910?
5. What does Celaya feel about the purchase in #137?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
2. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
3. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
4. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
5. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
6. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
7. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
8. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
9. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
10. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)