|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does the family move?
2. What do the doctors take from Narciso during surgery?
3. What does Inocencio decide when Celaya returns home?
4. How had Eleuterio's father forced him to do the right thing?
5. Who takes care of the Grandmother during her illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
2. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
3. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
4. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
5. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
6. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
7. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
8. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
9. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
10. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)