|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soledad throw at Inocencio when they argue?
2. What does the Grandmother think is wrong with the neighborhoods where she could afford to buy a house in Chicago?
3. What does Inocencio buy in Texas without consulting his wife?
4. What does the ghost of the person in #166 want Celaya to do?
5. How does the Grandmother calm her nerves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
2. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
3. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
4. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
5. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
6. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
7. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
8. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
9. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
10. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)