|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inocencia's only daughter's name?
2. Whose ghost does Celaya see when she visits her father?
3. To what city does Viva want to move and take Celaya with her?
4. How many children do Inocencio and his wife have?
5. Who took Soledad's place in Inocencio's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
2. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
3. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
4. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
5. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
6. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
7. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
8. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
9. Describe Celaya's encounter with the Grandmother's ghost in Inocencio's hospital room.
10. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 3
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)