|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not pleased that Narciso is having sex with Soledad when they are not married?
2. Who would become another child of Soledad's?
3. With whom had Inocencio had an affair at one time?
4. How many years did the Mexican revolution last?
5. Who does Inocencio marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Celaya's encounter with the Grandmother's ghost in Inocencio's hospital room.
2. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
3. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
4. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
5. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
6. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
7. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
8. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
9. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
10. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)