|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred during the "Ten Tragic Days"?
2. Why does Soledad want her baby to be a boy?
3. What happens to Narciso one day as he is walking home?
4. What type of goods does the family business in Chicago now produce?
5. What job did Soledad's son get in Chicago as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
2. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
3. Who is Ernie and what role does he play in Celaya's life?
4. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
5. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
6. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
7. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
8. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
9. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
10. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)