|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attended Soledad when she delivered her baby?
2. Who wants Narciso to marry Soledad?
3. Why does Eleuterio not approve of the relationship Narciso has with a girl in the city in #94?
4. What does the Reyes family do at first when Soledad gets pregnant?
5. Why does Soledad's daughter hate her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
2. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
3. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
4. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
5. How does the Grandmother's behavior depress Celaya?
6. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
7. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
8. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
9. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
10. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)