|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya?
2. Why does the Awful Grandmother tell Celaya she needs injections?
3. Who is not pleased that Narciso is having sex with Soledad when they are not married?
4. Where does Celaya run away with the boy in #157?
5. Why does Soledad want her baby to be a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
2. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
3. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
4. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
5. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
6. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
7. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
8. What type of child was Inocencio?
9. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
10. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)