|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does the family move?
2. Why does Soledad want her baby to be a boy?
3. What occurred during the "Ten Tragic Days"?
4. To what city does Viva want to move and take Celaya with her?
5. What was the Grandmother's disposition when the family moved to Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
2. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
3. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
4. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
5. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
6. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
7. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
8. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
9. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
10. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)