|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Reyes family do at first when Soledad gets pregnant?
2. What does Celaya tell her father that she wants to do?
3. Who attended Soledad when she delivered her baby?
4. Who would become another child of Soledad's?
5. Why does Celaya start having trouble at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
2. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
3. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
4. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
5. What advice did people give Soledad about taking care of herself as a young woman?
6. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
7. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
8. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
9. What type of child was Inocencio?
10. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)