|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
2. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
3. What is Celaya's mother's name?
4. Where does Celaya sleep at night?
5. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
2. Who is Candelaria?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
5. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
6. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
7. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
8. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
9. Describe Narciso Reyes.
10. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 3
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)