|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Aunty Fina's husband?
2. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
3. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
4. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
5. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
2. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
3. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
4. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
5. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
6. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
7. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
8. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
9. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
10. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)