|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
2. To what does Celaya compare the color of the skin of Candelaria?
3. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
4. How does Candelaria return home?
5. What was Senora Regina's demeanor toward Soledad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Narciso Reyes.
2. Who is Candelaria?
3. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
4. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
5. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
6. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
7. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
8. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
9. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
10. How was Senora Regina both kind and cruel to Soledad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)