|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
2. Who is married to Uncle Fat Face?
3. Candelaria made a ____________ for Celaya that falls into the water.
4. How does the Grandfather generally treat Celaya?
5. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
2. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
3. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
4. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
5. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
6. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
7. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
8. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
9. Who is Candelaria?
10. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)