|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
2. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
3. Who was the Awful Grandmother's father?
4. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
5. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
2. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
3. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
4. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
5. Describe Narciso Reyes.
6. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
7. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
8. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
9. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
10. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)