Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
2. Who was Narciso's mother?
3. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
4. What is a chillona?
5. How does Candelaria return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. What has Celaya learned about stories and about her family?
10. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)