|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
2. With whom was the Awful Grandmother sent to live after her mother died?
3. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
4. Where does Celaya sleep at night?
5. What is "gente adinerada"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
2. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
3. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
6. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
7. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
8. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
9. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
10. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)