Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
2. Who was Narciso's mother?
3. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
4. What is a chillona?
5. How does Candelaria return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. What has Celaya learned about stories and about her family?
10. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
Essay Topic 1
Resentment seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is resentment in the Reyes family? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)