|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a chillona?
2. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
3. What was the name of Narciso's household?
4. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
5. Which one of the narrator's uncles is best off financially?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Senora Regina both kind and cruel to Soledad?
2. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
5. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
6. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
7. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
8. Describe Narciso Reyes.
9. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
10. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 2
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Resentment seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is resentment in the Reyes family? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)