|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "feo, fuerte, y formal"?
2. What nickname does Celaya's mother call Celaya?
3. What is the Awful Grandmother's name?
4. What does the Awful Grandmother call Celaya and her cousins when they are all in the house?
5. Who is the daughter of the washerwoman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
2. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
3. Who is Celaya and how does she depose Soledad in Inocencio's affections?
4. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
5. What does Celaya know about being a Mexican and a Reyes?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
8. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
9. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
10. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,686 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)