|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
2. What is a rebozo?
3. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
4. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
5. What did Celaya's grandmother say when Celaya's hair was chopped off as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
2. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
3. How was Senora Regina both kind and cruel to Soledad?
4. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
5. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
6. Who is Candelaria?
7. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
8. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
9. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
10. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)