|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Grandmother rude to the townspeople while on vacation?
2. To what does Celaya compare the color of the skin of Candelaria?
3. Where does Celaya sleep at night?
4. What is "feo, fuerte, y formal"?
5. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
2. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
3. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
4. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
5. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
6. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
7. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
8. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
9. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
10. Describe Narciso Reyes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)