|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a rebozo?
2. What do the children wear at the beach to protect their skin?
3. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
4. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
5. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
2. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
3. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
4. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
5. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
6. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
7. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
8. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
9. Who is Candelaria?
10. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)