|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Narciso's household?
2. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
3. What is the narrator's name?
4. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
5. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
2. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
3. What event does Inocencio host after he gets well?
4. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
5. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
6. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
7. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
8. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
9. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
10. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)