|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Senora Regina's demeanor toward Soledad?
2. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
3. Which of Celaya's cousins seems to always get upset at the family gatherings?
4. How many children did the person in #67 have?
5. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
2. How was Senora Regina both kind and cruel to Soledad?
3. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
4. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
5. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
6. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
7. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
8. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
9. Who is Candelaria?
10. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 3
CARAMELO is a classic story of a family's efforts to preserve the past and secure heritage through stories and customs. What does that classification entail? Why does Cisneros' work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)