|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
2. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
3. What was the name of Narciso's household?
4. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
5. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
2. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
3. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
4. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
5. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
6. Describe Narciso Reyes.
7. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
8. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
9. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
10. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)