|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
2. Who was Narciso's mother?
3. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
4. What is a chillona?
5. How does Candelaria return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. What has Celaya learned about stories and about her family?
10. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
Essay Topic 1
The author is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)