|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the narrator's uncles is best off financially?
2. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
3. What is a standard practice of Celaya's family?
4. The Awful Grandmother's mother was able to create _____________ like no one else could.
5. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
2. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
3. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
4. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
5. Who is Candelaria?
6. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
7. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
8. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
9. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
10. Describe Narciso Reyes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Soledad. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Soledad?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)