Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
2. Who was Narciso's mother?
3. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
4. What is a chillona?
5. How does Candelaria return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
2. What illness befalls the Grandmother and how does the family react after her death?
3. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. What has Celaya learned about stories and about her family?
10. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
Explain the significance of the book's title--CARAMELO. Why did Cisneros choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)