|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Awful Grandmother think that Celaya's father should give the item in #25 to her and not to Celaya?
2. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
3. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
4. What is a rebozo?
5. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
2. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
3. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
4. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
5. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
6. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
7. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
8. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
9. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
10. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cisneros' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)