|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
2. Where does Inocencio decide to take his family?
3. Who was Aunty Fina's husband?
4. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
5. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
2. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
3. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
4. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
5. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
6. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
7. Who is Candelaria?
8. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
9. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
10. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Soledad. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Soledad?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)