|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
2. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
3. What is Narciso's last name?
4. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
5. Who was Narciso's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
2. What advice does Narciso's father give him regarding Soledad?
3. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
4. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
5. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
6. What position does Soledad take regarding her life when her son is born?
7. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
8. Describe Narciso Reyes.
9. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
10. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 2
CARAMELO is a classic story of a family's efforts to preserve the past and secure heritage through stories and customs. What does that classification entail? Why does Cisneros' work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
This section contains 1,717 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)