|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
2. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
3. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
4. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
5. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
2. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
3. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
4. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
5. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
6. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
7. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
8. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
9. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
10. Describe Narciso Reyes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to Hispanic culture. Identify at least two themes in the novel and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Inocencio. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Inocencio?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)