|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
2. Which of Celaya's cousins seems to always get upset at the family gatherings?
3. How does Candelaria return home?
4. Who is married to Uncle Fat Face?
5. Where is Candelaria left while on the family trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
2. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
3. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
4. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
5. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
6. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
7. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
8. Who is Candelaria?
9. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
10. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)