|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Celaya's mother's name?
2. Who is the daughter of the washerwoman?
3. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
4. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
5. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
2. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
3. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
4. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
5. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
6. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
7. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
8. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
9. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
10. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Zoila. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Zoila?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)