|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Narciso's mother?
2. The shoes a person wears and ______________ showed the class of the person.
3. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
4. What is mole?
5. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Narciso Reyes.
2. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
3. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
4. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
5. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
6. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
7. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
8. Who is Candelaria?
9. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
10. How was Senora Regina both kind and cruel to Soledad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Cisneros uses this theme in CARAMELO.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)