|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Senora Regina have?
2. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
3. What is Narciso's last name?
4. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
5. Why does the Awful Grandmother think that Celaya's father should give the item in #25 to her and not to Celaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
2. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
3. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
4. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
5. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
6. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
7. Who is Candelaria?
8. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
9. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
10. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two themes about family in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)