|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Celaya's cousins seems to always get upset at the family gatherings?
2. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
3. How many children did Senora Regina have?
4. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
5. Who was Aunty Fina's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
2. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
3. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
4. Describe Narciso Reyes.
5. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
6. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
7. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
8. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
9. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
10. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Soledad. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Soledad?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)