|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
2. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
3. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
4. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
5. What is "gente adinerada"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
2. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
3. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
4. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
5. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
6. Who is Candelaria?
7. Describe Narciso Reyes.
8. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
9. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
10. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Celaya. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Celaya?
Essay Topic 2
Cisneros uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Celaya's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)