|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Grandfather's name?
2. How does the Awful Grandmother generally treat Celaya?
3. What shape is the house the family stays in in Acapulco?
4. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
5. What is a standard practice of Celaya's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Candelaria?
2. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
3. Describe Narciso Reyes.
4. How many children are in Celaya's family and what distinction does she have?
5. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
6. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
7. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
8. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
9. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
10. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall ethnic culture for the book. What influences does ethnicity have on Cisneros' novel? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues reflected in the work?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)