|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Celaya's father liken to a Mexican girl becoming a prostitute?
(a) Leaving home before marriage.
(b) Leaving the church.
(c) Getting a tattoo.
(d) Going to college.
2. What does the Grandmother want to do immediately after the death of the little Grandfather?
(c) Go to church.
(d) Sell the house.
3. Whose ghost does Celaya see when she visits her father?
(c) The Grandmother's.
(d) The little Grandfather's.
4. What happens between Narciso and Soledad when Soledad gets pregnant?
(a) Soledad moves to Chicago.
(b) They break up.
(c) Narciso joins the army.
(d) They get married.
5. What does Narciso do when he travels so much for work?
(a) He writes many letters.
(b) He has an affair.
(c) He becomes homesick.
(d) He gets Frequent Flyer points.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Narciso's interest in Soledad at this point?
2. To what city does the family move?
3. What does the Grandmother think is wrong with the neighborhoods where she could afford to buy a house in Chicago?
4. Inocencio says that his stories about life are not stories, but rather ______________.
5. What year of school does Celaya enter at her new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the "Ten Tragic Days"?
2. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
3. Even though they both had behaved inappropriately, how did Narciso save Inocencio from a fate similar to his own?
4. How does Inocencio attain his profession of upholsterer?
5. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
6. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
7. What are the emotional reasons that Soledad hates Celaya?
8. What are the conditions under which Inocencio is able to buy the San Antonio house?
9. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
10. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)