|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Grandmother think is wrong with the neighborhoods where she could afford to buy a house in Chicago?
(a) They are filled with low-class Mexicans.
(b) They are too close to the "L".
(c) They are too close to the interstate.
(d) They are in the inner city.
2. Who took Soledad's place in Inocencio's heart?
3. How does the Grandmother calm her nerves?
(a) Braiding and unbraiding the strands of her rebozo.
(b) Listening to music.
(c) Going for a brisk walk.
(d) Working in the garden.
4. One of Inocencio's friends convinces the Grandmother and Inocencio that _______________ is the place to be.
(a) San Diego.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Antionio.
5. What occurred during the "Ten Tragic Days"?
(a) The government blocked shipment of goods.
(b) The Reyes family was locked in the house.
(c) The plage took hundreds of lives.
(d) The city was under siege.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would become another child of Soledad's?
2. Soledad's child was not happy unless he _______________.
3. Where does Celaya run away with the boy in #157?
4. What is Inocencio's ultimate plan?
5. Inocencio says that his stories about life are not stories, but rather ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What major purchase does Inocencio make without consulting Zoila and how does she react when she learns about it?
2. What role does storytelling play in the family's life?
3. What is a possible reason that Fina does not like Soledad?
4. What is Narciso's relationship with Soledad when they begin having sex?
5. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
6. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
7. What does Celaya learn about herself as a freshman, and who is the friend who takes her under her wing?
8. How does Fina feel about her mother, Soledad, after her father dies?
9. What is Zoila's view on her fate as a woman, and how does she perceive her daughter?
10. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)