|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Candelaria invited to go on the trip?
(a) To help with the driving.
(b) To cook for the family.
(c) To clean the hotel rooms.
(d) To care for the children.
2. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
3. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
4. What did Celaya's grandmother say when Celaya's hair was chopped off as a girl?
(a) She should always keep it like that.
(b) It made her look like a boy.
(c) It accentuated her beautiful eyes.
(d) It would help it grow back faster.
5. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
(a) They intentionally change them.
(b) People forget to tell them things.
(c) They ask new people to make changes.
(d) Too much time passes between story tellings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Grandmother rude to the townspeople while on vacation?
2. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
3. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
4. Where does Inocencio decide to take his family?
5. What is mole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
2. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
3. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
4. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
5. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
6. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
7. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
8. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
9. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
10. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)