|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Candelaria invited to go on the trip?
(a) To care for the children.
(b) To clean the hotel rooms.
(c) To cook for the family.
(d) To help with the driving.
2. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
(c) New York.
3. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
(a) Hails a cab.
(b) Flags down a policeman.
(c) Runs as fast as she can.
(d) Finds a phone booth.
4. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
(b) intellectual stimulation.
5. What does the Awful Grandmother call Celaya and her cousins when they are all in the house?
(a) The gang.
(b) Et Tu.
(c) Hey You.
(d) Al Tu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
2. Why does the Awful Grandmother think that Celaya's father should give the item in #25 to her and not to Celaya?
3. What is "feo, fuerte, y formal"?
4. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
5. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
2. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
3. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
4. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
5. How does the Grandmother try to hurt Mother by telling her a secret?
6. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
7. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
8. Who is Candelaria?
9. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
10. Describe Narciso Reyes.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)