|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
(a) She is her inspiration.
(b) She is an intrusion in their lives.
(c) She is the glue that keeps the family together.
(d) She is like a mother to her.
2. What does Celaya's father tell the Awful Grandmother that he wants to buy for Celaya?
(a) A prom dress.
(b) A silk rebozo.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A car.
3. The Grandfather tells Celaya that he lost three ribs ___________________.
(a) in a terrible battle.
(b) in a knife fight.
(c) in a car accident.
(d) falling off a bike.
4. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
5. What is mole?
(c) Spicy pork dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Awful Grandmother call Celaya and her cousins when they are all in the house?
2. What did Soledad accidentally call Narciso when they first met?
3. What is Narciso's last name?
4. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
5. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Candelaria?
2. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
3. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
4. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
5. Describe Soledad's Aunty Fina.
6. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
7. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
8. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
9. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
10. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)