|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Grandfather tells Celaya that he lost three ribs ___________________.
(a) in a car accident.
(b) in a terrible battle.
(c) falling off a bike.
(d) in a knife fight.
2. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
3. Who is Celaya's father?
4. Candelaria made a ____________ for Celaya that falls into the water.
5. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
(a) Their marriage is over.
(b) She has fallen in love with someone else.
(c) She doesn't want to go home yet.
(d) She has a bad migraine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
2. With whom was the Awful Grandmother sent to live after her mother died?
3. Where does Celaya sleep at night?
4. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
5. What was the most striking feature that the young Narciso Reyes had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
2. Who is Candelaria?
3. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
4. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
5. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
6. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
7. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
10. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)