|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Narciso's mother?
(a) Senora Carlotta.
(b) Senora Regina.
(c) Senora Carmina.
(d) Senora Maria.
2. What is "gente adinerada"?
(a) People with money.
(b) Formal gardens.
(c) Gourmet meals.
(d) An art style.
3. What is a chillona?
(a) A tattletale.
(b) A wimp.
(c) A hero.
(d) A crybaby.
4. How many children did the person in #67 have?
(c) Between 16 and 18.
5. Where does Celaya sleep at night?
(a) A bunk bed.
(b) An orange La-Z-Boy recliner.
(c) A sleeping bag.
(d) A green sofa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's father known as in the family?
2. According to the Awful Grandmother, what should come first in a person's life?
3. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
4. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
5. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Inocencio take the family for a holiday, and who complicates the situation by inviting herself to go along?
2. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
3. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
4. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
5. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
6. Describe Narciso Reyes.
7. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
8. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
9. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
10. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)