|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Every year Celaya forgets about the stark differences in ______________ in the U.S. and Mexico.
(a) the scenery.
(b) the climate.
(c) the food.
(d) the music.
2. Which of Celaya's cousins seems to always get upset at the family gatherings?
3. Who is married to Uncle Fat Face?
(a) Aunty Tia.
(b) Aunt Cecile.
(c) Aunt Maria.
(d) Aunty Licha.
4. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
5. What is Celaya's mother's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to run rampant in the community?
2. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
3. Who was the Awful Grandmother's father?
4. What is mole?
5. What is the narrator's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the girl, Candelaria, pressed into service for the Grandmother?
2. Who is Candelaria?
3. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
4. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
5. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
6. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
7. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
8. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
9. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
10. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)