|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is married to Uncle Fat Face?
(a) Aunt Maria.
(b) Aunty Tia.
(c) Aunty Licha.
(d) Aunt Cecile.
2. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
3. Where does Inocencio decide to take his family?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Mexico City.
4. Mexico City is called the _______________ of the New World.
(a) New York.
5. Why is the Grandmother rude to the townspeople while on vacation?
(a) Because they are uneducated.
(b) Because they don't speak Spanish.
(c) Because they don't own homes.
(d) Because of the color of their skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Celaya's father?
2. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
3. How many children did the person in #67 have?
4. The Awful Grandmother's mother was able to create _____________ like no one else could.
5. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Grandmother's real intentions regarding the house in San Antonio?
2. Describe the glittering growth in Mexico in 1910.
3. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
4. Why does Celaya want to leave school and what is her father's response to her idea?
5. What is the Grandmother's demeanor in Chicago and why does she not buy her own home?
6. Describe Narciso Reyes.
7. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
8. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
9. What secret about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya when Inocencio is in the hospital after a heart attack?
10. What are the circumstances that have Soledad moving into the Reyes household with Narciso's family?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)