|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
2. What nickname does Celaya's mother call Celaya?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
3. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
(a) She is an intrusion in their lives.
(b) She is the glue that keeps the family together.
(c) She is like a mother to her.
(d) She is her inspiration.
4. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
5. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
(d) The Grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
2. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
3. What do the children wear at the beach to protect their skin?
4. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
5. What is "gente adinerada"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
2. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
3. Who is Candelaria?
4. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
5. Describe the Awful Grandmother's life after her mother died.
6. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
7. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
8. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
9. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
10. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)