|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Awful Grandmother's father?
2. Candelaria made a ____________ for Celaya that falls into the water.
3. What is a rebozo?
(a) A weapon.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A spice.
(d) A carriage.
4. What is a chillona?
(a) A crybaby.
(b) A wimp.
(c) A hero.
(d) A tattletale.
5. Every year Celaya forgets about the stark differences in ______________ in the U.S. and Mexico.
(a) the music.
(b) the climate.
(c) the food.
(d) the scenery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children are in Celaya's family?
2. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
3. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
4. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
5. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two criteria to determine a person's class?
2. Who is Candelaria?
3. What kindness does the Grandfather show Celaya when the Grandmother ridicules her for not eating the mole?
4. Who is Antonieta Araceli and how do the cousins upset her?
5. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
6. Why does Celaya's afternoon out with her mother turn into a family crisis?
7. Explain the nice lifestyle shared by Uncle Baby and Aunty Ninfa.
8. What is a rebozo and what value does it have in Mexican culture?
9. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
10. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)