|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
(a) Too much time passes between story tellings.
(b) They intentionally change them.
(c) People forget to tell them things.
(d) They ask new people to make changes.
2. What was left unfinished when the Awful Grandmother's mother died?
3. How many children are in Celaya's family?
4. What is Narciso's last name?
5. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
(a) Leaving dirty clothes on the floor.
(b) Never going anywhere.
(c) Wanting a bigger house.
(d) Not making enough money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
2. Which one of Celaya's brothers was left in Mexico to attend military school?
3. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
4. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
5. To what does Celaya compare the color of the skin of Candelaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family rely on little white lies?
2. How did Soledad find the man she would marry?
3. How do the family stories foreshadow what will come in the novel?
4. Why is Candelaria removed from the Reyes home?
5. Who are Celaya's father and two uncles and what type of business do they have in Chicago?
6. Who is Candelaria?
7. Describe Narciso Reyes.
8. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
9. What does the family do when they arrive in Acapulco?
10. Describe Mother's hysterical fit in the car in Acapulco.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)