|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Celaya's mother call Celaya?
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
2. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
(a) She would rather wear cotton.
(b) She doesn't take care of her things.
(c) She is too young to understand what it means.
(d) She grew up in the United States.
3. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
4. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
(a) Expensive furniture in the house.
(b) A new refrigerator.
(c) A used car.
(d) Three bedrooms.
5. Why is the Grandmother rude to the townspeople while on vacation?
(a) Because they don't speak Spanish.
(b) Because they are uneducated.
(c) Because of the color of their skin.
(d) Because they don't own homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
2. Who is Celaya's father?
3. What did Celaya's grandmother say when Celaya's hair was chopped off as a girl?
4. What is mole?
5. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chaos of the Mexican Revolution.
2. How does the Grandmother advise Inocencio about his hysterical wife?
3. Describe the childhood of the Awful Grandmother and what role rebozos played in her life.
4. What lie did Narciso tell about his three missing ribs and what is the truth of the story?
5. What does Celaya know about being a Mexican and a Reyes?
6. Describe Celaya's house and its furnishings.
7. What type of child was Inocencio?
8. How is the Grandmother conflicted by what she wants for her family and what she is physically able to provide?
9. To what location did Celaya's family travel each year and why did they travel as a family?
10. What has Celaya learned about stories and about her family?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)