|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Narciso need surgery?
(a) He has a collapsed lung.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He broke his knee.
(d) He has a heart problem.
2. Who is not pleased that Narciso is having sex with Soledad when they are not married?
3. How many years did the Mexican revolution last?
4. Who takes care of the Grandmother during her illness?
5. Why does Soledad's daughter hate her?
(a) She did not support her career.
(b) She belittled her in front of people.
(c) She prevented her from going to college.
(d) She was not supportive of her marriage.
6. Where did Narciso live during the Mexican revolution?
(a) Mexico City.
7. The Awful Grandmother's stories are all about _________________________.
(a) her dead husband.
(b) making people feel sorry for her.
(c) her dreams of a better life for her family.
(d) her love of cooking.
8. How had Eleuterio's father forced him to do the right thing?
(a) He had to marry Regina.
(b) He had to get a job.
(c) He had to stop drinking.
(d) He had to get an education.
9. What does Soledad think when her son is born?
(a) She cannot wait to have another baby.
(b) She had really wanted a daughter.
(c) She is terrified about being a mother.
(d) No one will ever come between her and her son.
10. What similarity do Soledad and her daughter share regarding marriage?
(a) They were both "stolen" away.
(b) They both married men named Miguel.
(c) They both wore the same dress.
(d) They both married in the same church.
11. How does the little Grandfather die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He was hit by a truck.
(d) He had a heart attack.
12. What is the name of Soledad's child?
13. What shocking news about Inocencio does Zoila tell Celaya?
(a) He spent time in prison.
(b) He had a daughter with another woman.
(c) He never graduated high school.
(d) He has a terminal disease.
14. How did Zoila consider killing the Grandmother?
(a) Smothering her with a pillow.
(b) Poisoning her food.
(c) Taking away her oxygen.
(d) Pushing her down the stairs.
15. To what city does the family move?
(a) Des Moines.
(c) San Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inocencio decide when Celaya returns home?
2. What occurred during the "Ten Tragic Days"?
3. Inocencio says that his stories about life are not stories, but rather ______________.
4. Who takes Soledad's part and stands up for her in the story?
5. What does Celaya realize that she knows nothing about?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)