|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had Eleuterio's father forced him to do the right thing?
(a) He had to get an education.
(b) He had to marry Regina.
(c) He had to stop drinking.
(d) He had to get a job.
2. What does the Grandmother think is wrong with the neighborhoods where she could afford to buy a house in Chicago?
(a) They are too close to the interstate.
(b) They are in the inner city.
(c) They are filled with low-class Mexicans.
(d) They are too close to the "L".
3. What happened every evening in Mexico City in 1910?
(a) Race riots.
(b) Boat races.
4. What is Narciso's interest in Soledad at this point?
(a) He uses her for sex.
(b) He is crazy about her.
(c) He thinks she is a cute kid.
(d) He thinks she is a pest.
5. How does the Grandmother calm her nerves?
(a) Working in the garden.
(b) Going for a brisk walk.
(c) Braiding and unbraiding the strands of her rebozo.
(d) Listening to music.
6. Who would become another child of Soledad's?
(b) Uncle Fat-Face.
(c) Uncle Diego.
7. What is Inocencia's only daughter's name?
8. What does Celaya feel about the purchase in #137?
(a) It has potential.
(b) It is ugly.
(c) It is a dream.
(d) It is perfect.
9. What is the name of Soledad's child?
10. What stipulation comes along with the purchase in #137?
(a) Grandmother will live with the family.
(b) High interest payments.
(c) Family budget cuts.
(d) Long hours of work.
11. In what year did the Mexican revolution begin?
12. What occurred during the "Ten Tragic Days"?
(a) The government blocked shipment of goods.
(b) The plage took hundreds of lives.
(c) The city was under siege.
(d) The Reyes family was locked in the house.
13. Who took Soledad's place in Inocencio's heart?
14. Who attended Soledad when she delivered her baby?
(b) A doctor.
(c) A midwife.
15. What job did Soledad's son get in Chicago as an adult?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Narciso to marry Soledad?
2. Why does Narciso need surgery?
3. Other than Celaya, who is Inocencio's other daughter?
4. What does Celaya's father liken to a Mexican girl becoming a prostitute?
5. Who is the friend who takes Celaya under her wing?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)