|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
2. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
(a) She wants to go to college.
(b) Her mother doesn't want her to be abused.
(c) She has to finish high school.
(d) She got a better paying job.
3. The Awful Grandmother's mother was able to create _____________ like no one else could.
4. Who is Celaya's father?
5. According to the Awful Grandmother, what should come first in a person's life?
6. Candelaria made a ____________ for Celaya that falls into the water.
7. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
(a) She tore the silk rebozo.
(b) She ate at a restaurant.
(c) She wrecked the family car.
(d) She flirted with the neighbor man.
8. What is the narrator's father known as in the family?
(a) Senor Busybody.
(b) El Tarzan.
(c) Baby Face.
9. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
(d) Los Angeles.
10. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
(a) Expensive furniture in the house.
(b) Three bedrooms.
(c) A new refrigerator.
(d) A used car.
11. What is Narciso's last name?
12. With whom was the Awful Grandmother sent to live after her mother died?
(a) Aunty Maria.
(b) Aunty Lucia.
(c) Aunty Fina.
(d) Uncle Gomez.
13. How does the Grandfather generally treat Celaya?
(a) He tolerates her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He insults her.
(d) He ignores her.
14. Where does Inocencio decide to take his family?
(a) Mexico City.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Los Angeles.
15. What nickname does Celaya's mother call Celaya?
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
2. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
3. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
4. What shape is the house the family stays in in Acapulco?
5. Who is the daughter of the washerwoman?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)