|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
(a) Aunts and uncles.
(b) The Awful Grandmother.
(c) Old neighbors.
(d) School friends.
2. What did Soledad accidentally call Narciso when they first met?
3. Who was Narciso's mother?
(a) Senora Regina.
(b) Senora Carlotta.
(c) Senora Carmela.
(d) Senora Maria.
4. How does Candelaria return home?
(a) A car.
(b) A train.
(c) A plane.
(d) A bus.
5. Where is Candelaria left while on the family trip?
(a) A hotel.
(b) An ocean town.
(c) A bus station.
(d) An airport.
6. How does the Grandfather generally treat Celaya?
(a) He is kind to her.
(b) He insults her.
(c) He tolerates her.
(d) He ignores her.
7. What is a standard practice of Celaya's family?
(a) Telling little white lies.
(b) Praying before dinner.
(c) Overdrawing bank accounts.
(d) Singing while cleaning.
8. What was left unfinished when the Awful Grandmother's mother died?
9. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
10. Which one of the narrator's uncles is best off financially?
(a) Uncle Jose.
(b) Uncle Baby.
(c) Uncle Eddie.
(d) Uncle Max.
11. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
(a) The Grandmother.
12. What is a chillona?
(a) A wimp.
(b) A tattletale.
(c) A hero.
(d) A crybaby.
13. Who is the daughter of the washerwoman?
14. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
(a) Body shop.
15. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
(a) In a guest bedroom.
(b) In the sleeping porch.
(c) In the shed.
(d) On a cot in the pantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
2. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
3. Every year Celaya forgets about the stark differences in ______________ in the U.S. and Mexico.
4. What does the Grandmother say about Zoira to Inocencia?
5. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)