|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Celaya compare the color of the skin of Candelaria?
(b) Bittersweet chocolate.
2. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
(a) In the sleeping porch.
(b) In the shed.
(c) On a cot in the pantry.
(d) In a guest bedroom.
3. What was left unfinished when the Awful Grandmother's mother died?
4. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
(d) Los Angeles.
5. What do the children wear at the beach to protect their skin?
(b) Big hats.
6. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
(a) A TV.
(b) A picture.
(c) A sunset.
(d) A book.
7. What is a chillona?
(a) A crybaby.
(b) A wimp.
(c) A hero.
(d) A tattletale.
8. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
(a) School friends.
(b) The Awful Grandmother.
(c) Aunts and uncles.
(d) Old neighbors.
9. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
(a) Expensive furniture in the house.
(b) A used car.
(c) A new refrigerator.
(d) Three bedrooms.
10. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
(a) Finds a phone booth.
(b) Hails a cab.
(c) Flags down a policeman.
(d) Runs as fast as she can.
11. What nickname does Celaya's mother call Celaya?
(c) Sleeping Beauty.
12. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
(a) Her mother doesn't want her to be abused.
(b) She wants to go to college.
(c) She has to finish high school.
(d) She got a better paying job.
13. What was Senora Regina's demeanor toward Soledad?
14. What does the Awful Grandmother call Celaya and her cousins when they are all in the house?
(a) Hey You.
(b) Al Tu.
(c) The gang.
(d) Et Tu.
15. Who owns the house in Acapulco?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
2. How did Narciso attain Soledad for marriage?
3. Candelaria made a ____________ for Celaya that falls into the water.
4. Why is Candelaria invited to go on the trip?
5. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)