|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is Aunty Ninfa?
2. Why does the Awful Grandmother think that Celaya's father should give the item in #25 to her and not to Celaya?
(a) She understands the value of the item.
(b) She is old enough to drive.
(c) She goes out more.
(d) She likes to dress up.
3. Which one of the narrator's uncles is best off financially?
(a) Uncle Baby.
(b) Uncle Max.
(c) Uncle Eddie.
(d) Uncle Jose.
4. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
5. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
6. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
(a) She would rather wear cotton.
(b) She is too young to understand what it means.
(c) She doesn't take care of her things.
(d) She grew up in the United States.
7. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
(a) She wants to go to college.
(b) She has to finish high school.
(c) Her mother doesn't want her to be abused.
(d) She got a better paying job.
8. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
9. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
(a) She wrecked the family car.
(b) She tore the silk rebozo.
(c) She flirted with the neighbor man.
(d) She ate at a restaurant.
10. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
(d) Los Angeles.
11. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
12. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
13. The Grandmother is perpetually hungry for _______________.
(c) intellectual stimulation.
14. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
(a) In a guest bedroom.
(b) In the shed.
(c) In the sleeping porch.
(d) On a cot in the pantry.
15. What is the narrator's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children wear at the beach to protect their skin?
2. The Awful Grandmother's mother was able to create _____________ like no one else could.
3. Who was the Awful Grandmother's father?
4. Every year Celaya forgets about the stark differences in ______________ in the U.S. and Mexico.
5. To what does Celaya compare the color of the skin of Candelaria?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)