|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Awful Grandmother's mother was able to create _____________ like no one else could.
2. At what type of business do the narrator's father and uncles work?
(c) Body shop.
3. Why does the Awful Grandmother think that Celaya's father should give the item in #25 to her and not to Celaya?
(a) She likes to dress up.
(b) She goes out more.
(c) She is old enough to drive.
(d) She understands the value of the item.
4. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
(a) She is like a mother to her.
(b) She is an intrusion in their lives.
(c) She is her inspiration.
(d) She is the glue that keeps the family together.
5. What is "feo, fuerte, y formal"?
(a) Happy, strong, and lucky.
(b) Strong, funny, and proper.
(c) Ugly, strong, and proper.
(d) Smart, handsome, and tall.
6. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
(a) The Awful Grandmother.
(b) School friends.
(c) Old neighbors.
(d) Aunts and uncles.
7. What did Celaya's grandmother say when Celaya's hair was chopped off as a girl?
(a) It would help it grow back faster.
(b) It accentuated her beautiful eyes.
(c) She should always keep it like that.
(d) It made her look like a boy.
8. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
(a) A TV.
(b) A book.
(c) A picture.
(d) A sunset.
9. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
(a) The Grandmother.
10. What does the Grandmother say about Zoira to Inocencia?
(a) He picked a wonderful woman to be his wife.
(b) She is better fit to raise the kids than Zoira is.
(c) He must choose between his mother or his wife.
(d) Zoira needs psychological help.
11. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
12. Why is Candelaria removed from the Awful Grandmother's house?
(a) She got a better paying job.
(b) She has to finish high school.
(c) Her mother doesn't want her to be abused.
(d) She wants to go to college.
13. Who is married to Uncle Fat Face?
(a) Aunt Maria.
(b) Aunty Tia.
(c) Aunt Cecile.
(d) Aunty Licha.
14. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
(a) Having a brick house.
(b) Owning a tuxedo.
(c) Giving fancy parties.
(d) Being blonde and light-skinned.
15. What is "gente adinerada"?
(a) People with money.
(b) Gourmet meals.
(c) An art style.
(d) Formal gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Narciso attain Soledad for marriage?
2. Whose birthday does the Grandmother make arrangements to celebrate?
3. Who is the daughter of the washerwoman?
4. What is the Awful Grandmother's name?
5. How does the Grandfather generally treat Celaya?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)