|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
(a) Three bedrooms.
(b) Expensive furniture in the house.
(c) A new refrigerator.
(d) A used car.
2. What is the narrator staring at as the story opens?
(a) A picture.
(b) A sunset.
(c) A TV.
(d) A book.
3. What is a rebozo?
(a) A spice.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A weapon.
4. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
(a) She is like a mother to her.
(b) She is an intrusion in their lives.
(c) She is the glue that keeps the family together.
(d) She is her inspiration.
5. Who did the narrator's family travel to see on its annual trips?
(a) School friends.
(b) The Awful Grandmother.
(c) Old neighbors.
(d) Aunts and uncles.
6. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
(a) She ate at a restaurant.
(b) She flirted with the neighbor man.
(c) She tore the silk rebozo.
(d) She wrecked the family car.
7. The shoes a person wears and ______________ showed the class of the person.
8. How does Celaya say that stories get altered?
(a) They ask new people to make changes.
(b) Too much time passes between story tellings.
(c) They intentionally change them.
(d) People forget to tell them things.
9. Who was Narciso's mother?
(a) Senora Regina.
(b) Senora Carlotta.
(c) Senora Maria.
(d) Senora Carmina.
10. What was Senora Regina's demeanor toward Soledad?
11. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
(a) She grew up in the United States.
(b) She doesn't take care of her things.
(c) She would rather wear cotton.
(d) She is too young to understand what it means.
12. What is the Awful Grandmother's name?
13. How does the Awful Grandmother generally treat Celaya?
(a) She insults her.
(b) She coddles her.
(c) She indulges her.
(d) She delights in her.
14. How does the Grandfather generally treat Celaya?
(a) He insults her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He tolerates her.
(d) He ignores her.
15. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
2. According to the Awful Grandmother, what should come first in a person's life?
3. What was the most striking feature that the young Narciso Reyes had?
4. Why is the Grandmother rude to the townspeople while on vacation?
5. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)