|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a rebozo?
(a) A spice.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A weapon.
2. What does Celaya's mother say about the Grandmother?
(a) She is an intrusion in their lives.
(b) She is her inspiration.
(c) She is like a mother to her.
(d) She is the glue that keeps the family together.
3. Where does Inocencio decide to take his family?
(a) Mexico City.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. What profession does Aunt Light-Skin have?
5. What does Celaya's mother tell her father when he catches her?
(a) She has a bad migraine.
(b) She doesn't want to go home yet.
(c) Their marriage is over.
(d) She has fallen in love with someone else.
6. Which one of the narrator's uncles is best off financially?
(a) Uncle Max.
(b) Uncle Jose.
(c) Uncle Eddie.
(d) Uncle Baby.
7. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
(a) Owning a tuxedo.
(b) Giving fancy parties.
(c) Being blonde and light-skinned.
(d) Having a brick house.
8. What is mole?
(b) Spicy pork dish.
9. What is the Awful Grandmother's name?
10. What seems to run rampant in the community?
(c) Sexual abuse.
(d) Drug use.
11. The shoes a person wears and ______________ showed the class of the person.
12. What was the main plaza close to Narciso's house?
(a) Place de Tijuana.
(b) Fiesta Plaza.
(d) Rue Espanol.
13. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
(a) Hails a cab.
(b) Finds a phone booth.
(c) Flags down a policeman.
(d) Runs as fast as she can.
14. What topic does Zoila complain to Inocencio about?
(a) Wanting a bigger house.
(b) Leaving dirty clothes on the floor.
(c) Not making enough money.
(d) Never going anywhere.
15. When the Awful Grandmother was a young girl, her family made ________________.
(d) Mexican shawls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children wear at the beach to protect their skin?
2. Who was Aunty Fina's husband?
3. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
4. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
5. What is the narrator's father known as in the family?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)