|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's father known as in the family?
(a) Senor Busybody.
(b) Baby Face.
(c) El Tarzan.
2. What seems to run rampant in the community?
(a) Sexual abuse.
(c) Drug use.
3. Who is the Awful Grandmother's washerwoman?
4. What does Celaya's father tell the Awful Grandmother that he wants to buy for Celaya?
(a) A prom dress.
(b) A car.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A silk rebozo.
5. Why is the Awful Grandmother angry at Celaya's mother?
(a) She flirted with the neighbor man.
(b) She wrecked the family car.
(c) She ate at a restaurant.
(d) She tore the silk rebozo.
6. What luxury does Celaya's family have that makes them feel rich?
(a) A used car.
(b) Three bedrooms.
(c) A new refrigerator.
(d) Expensive furniture in the house.
7. To what country did the narrator's family make an annual trip?
8. What is a standard practice of Celaya's family?
(a) Overdrawing bank accounts.
(b) Praying before dinner.
(c) Singing while cleaning.
(d) Telling little white lies.
9. Who invites herself to go on the trip with Inocencio and his family?
(d) The Grandmother.
10. What does the Awful Grandmother call Celaya and her cousins when they are all in the house?
(a) Hey You.
(b) Et Tu.
(c) Al Tu.
(d) The gang.
11. Why does Celaya's grandmother say Celaya could not appreciate a silk rebozo?
(a) She grew up in the United States.
(b) She would rather wear cotton.
(c) She doesn't take care of her things.
(d) She is too young to understand what it means.
12. Who is frightened of the water in Acapulco?
13. What is a symbol of class and better breeding in Mexico?
(a) Having a brick house.
(b) Being blonde and light-skinned.
(c) Giving fancy parties.
(d) Owning a tuxedo.
14. What was Senora Regina's demeanor toward Soledad?
15. Where did Soledad sleep in Narciso's house?
(a) On a cot in the pantry.
(b) In the sleeping porch.
(c) In the shed.
(d) In a guest bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did the narrator's father and uncles work?
2. What does Celaya's mother do when she jumps out of the car?
3. Who was Narciso's mother?
4. Who is the helper of the Awful Grandmother who threatens to quit?
5. What was left unfinished when the Awful Grandmother's mother died?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)