|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Olga's eulogy?
2. To whom does Pantoja send the lyrics to the song about the Special Service?
3. Who does Pantoja have a morning meeting scheduled with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Who decides, after hearing about an attempted kidnapping of prostitutes, that the Special Service has gotten out of hand?
5. Who is interviewed on the radio in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
2. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
3. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
4. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
5. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
6. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
7. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
8. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
9. What is the "House of Iron"?
10. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)