|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does a radio show come on that mentions Pantoja and the Special Service?
2. In Chapter 6, the number of prostitutes in the Special Service increases to what?
3. In Chapter 8, it is revealed that Pantoja has taken to interviewing new prostitutes by doing what?
4. A prostitute says on a radio show that part of Pantoja's interview process involves making the girls do what?
5. Who tells Collazos that soldiers have been secretly joining the Brothers of the Ark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
2. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
3. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
4. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
5. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
8. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 8 when news of the Special Service starts to spread?
10. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)