|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prostitute that elopes in Chapter 6?
2. Olga was raised in an orphanage run by whom?
3. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was purchased by whom?
4. What does Pantoja wear in Chapter 10 because the charade is up?
5. Where does the local radio show host approach Pocha for an interview?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)