|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs Pantoja that a prostitute and a sergeant have eloped?
2. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was originally what?
3. In what city does Olga's funeral take place?
4. Who tells the Special Service workers that Brother Francisco is dead?
5. Who officiates Olga's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
2. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
3. Describe Leonor's dream at the beginning of Chapter 10.
4. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
5. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
6. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
7. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
8. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
9. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
10. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the way Pantoja's sense of family seems to change throughout the novel. Where do his priorities lie? Describe Pantoja's relationship with his coworkers in the Special Service. What is their dynamic? How does his relationship with his relatives change throughout the novel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)