|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that reports Olga's death?
2. In Chapter 7, a radio host opens with a daily segment called what?
3. To what object is Olga's corpse nailed?
4. Who does Pantoja believe will be held responsible for the events surrounding the scandal of the Special Service?
5. In what city does Olga's funeral take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
2. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
3. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
4. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
5. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
6. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
7. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
8. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
9. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
10. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)