|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learns in Chapter 8 that Pantoja is an Army officer, and declares him a hero?
2. Who is upset about being left out of the song written about the Special Service?
3. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was moved to what city?
4. What is the name of the radio station that airs a popular radio show that mentions Pantoja and the Special Service?
5. To whom does Pantoja send the lyrics to the song about the Special Service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
2. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
3. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
4. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
5. How does Olga die?
6. Why do Navy members become upset with Pantoja and his operation?
7. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
8. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
9. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
10. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)