|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, a radio host opens with a daily segment called what?
2. Who receives orders to dismantle the command post on the Itaya River after it is revealed that the Special Service will be shut down?
3. In what month is convoy 15 sent?
4. In Chapter 10, who goes into business for herself and opens a very successful brothel on the highway to San Juan?
5. How is Pantoja portrayed on a radio show in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
2. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 8 when news of the Special Service starts to spread?
4. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
5. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
6. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
7. What is the "House of Iron"?
8. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
9. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
10. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)