|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who officiates Olga's funeral?
2. Where are some SSFGRI personnel stranded because of weather?
3. Who tells Pantoja that he should give Olga full exemption from her work in the Special Services?
4. A radio host tells his listeners about the famous landmark called what?
5. In what month does Pocha leave Pantoja?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
2. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
3. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
4. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
5. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
6. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
7. What happens at the end of Chapter 8 when news of the Special Service starts to spread?
8. What happens to a couple that elopes in Chapter 6?
9. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
10. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)