|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Olga when she dies?
2. In what city does Olga's funeral take place?
3. Olga is murdered after what kind of party?
4. Who does Pantoja believe will be held responsible for the events surrounding the scandal of the Special Service?
5. Where does Olga's funeral take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
2. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
3. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
4. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
5. What is the "House of Iron"?
6. Why do Navy members become upset with Pantoja and his operation?
7. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
8. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
9. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
10. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)