|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After one year, how many men are users of the Special Service?
2. A prostitute says on a radio show that part of Pantoja's interview process involves making the girls do what?
3. After the Special Service is shut down, Pantoja is instructed to meet with Victoria and Collazos, where?
4. Who does Pantoja go to visit at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was moved to what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
2. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
3. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
4. What happens to a couple that elopes in Chapter 6?
5. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
6. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
7. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
8. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
9. How does Olga die?
10. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)