|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Olga move after a missionary kills himself over her?
2. Where does Olga's funeral take place?
3. Who does Pantoja go to visit at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. How many of Brother Francisco's followers are arrested by the Army after a sub-officer is crucified?
5. How does Brother Francisco die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "House of Iron"?
2. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
3. Why do Navy members become upset with Pantoja and his operation?
4. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
5. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
6. What information does Maclovia reveal during her radio interview that outrages listeners?
7. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
8. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
9. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
10. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)