|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that reports Olga's death?
2. Olga is murdered because of a mayor by what name?
3. What is the name of the popular radio show that mentions Pantoja and the Special Service?
4. At the start of Chapter 8, how long has it been since Pantoja's wife left him?
5. General Tiger Collazos and other Peruvian Army commanders feel that apprehending fugitives would be better handled by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
2. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
3. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
4. Describe Leonor's dream at the beginning of Chapter 10.
5. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
6. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
7. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
8. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
9. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)