|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what dispatch does Pantoja say the SSGFRI has completed its first year?
2. Olga is murdered because of a mayor by what name?
3. How is Pantoja portrayed on a radio show in Chapter 7?
4. In what month has the SSGFRI completed its first year?
5. A radio host tells his listeners about the famous landmark called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olga die?
2. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
3. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
4. What happens to a couple that elopes in Chapter 6?
5. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
6. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
7. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
8. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
9. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
10. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)