|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reprimands Pantoja for the way Olga's eulogy was handled?
2. Who does Olga claim to be in Pantoja's dream?
3. Who tells Pantoja that he should give Olga full exemption from her work in the Special Services?
4. Who has a dream where animals eat each other, in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Pantoja believe will be held responsible for the events surrounding the scandal of the Special Service?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
2. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
3. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
4. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
5. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
6. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
7. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
8. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
9. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
10. What is the "House of Iron"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)