|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of funeral does Olga receive?
2. How old is Olga when she dies?
3. Who tells the Special Service workers that Brother Francisco is dead?
4. Why do other officers envy Pantoja?
5. In what city does Olga's funeral take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
2. What is the "House of Iron"?
3. What happens to a couple that elopes in Chapter 6?
4. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
5. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
6. What information does Maclovia reveal during her radio interview that outrages listeners?
7. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
8. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
9. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
10. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)