|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Olga move after a missionary kills himself over her?
2. After the Special Service is shut down, Pantoja is instructed to meet with Victoria and Collazos, where?
3. In Chapter 10, who goes into business for herself and opens a very successful brothel on the highway to San Juan?
4. Where does the local radio show host approach Pocha for an interview?
5. Pantoja's assignment, after the Special Service is shut down, is near what lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
2. What is the "House of Iron"?
3. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
4. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
5. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
6. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
7. How does Olga die?
8. What happens to a couple that elopes in Chapter 6?
9. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
10. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)