|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Villagers crucify a sub-officer who is dressed how?
2. To whom does Pantoja send the lyrics to the song about the Special Service?
3. For how many days are SSFGRI personnel stranded because of weather?
4. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was moved to what city?
5. What time is it when Chapter 8 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olga die?
2. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
3. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
4. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
5. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
6. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
7. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
8. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
9. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
10. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)