|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Pantoja become obsessed with by Chapter 8?
2. In what dispatch does Pantoja say the SSGFRI has completed its first year?
3. Who receives orders to dismantle the command post on the Itaya River after it is revealed that the Special Service will be shut down?
4. At the start of Chapter 8, how long has it been since Pantoja's wife left him?
5. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was originally what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
2. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
3. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
4. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
5. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
6. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
7. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
8. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
9. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
10. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)