|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark designed by whom?
2. A radio host tells his listeners about a famous landmark that was purchased by whom?
3. Who is upset about being left out of the song written about the Special Service?
4. In what dispatch does Pantoja say the SSGFRI has completed its first year?
5. What is the name of Pantoja's daughter?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)