|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A radio host tells his listeners about the famous landmark called what?
2. Where does Pantoja go to visit at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. How old is Olga when she dies?
4. How many women are kidnapped the night Olga is murdered?
5. In Chapter 10, who goes into business for herself and opens a very successful brothel on the highway to San Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
2. What information does Maclovia reveal during her radio interview that outrages listeners?
3. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
4. What is the "House of Iron"?
5. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
6. Why do Morey and several young men from Requena decide to kidnap prostitutes from the Special Service?
7. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
8. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
9. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
10. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)