|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that reports Olga's death?
2. What is the name of Pantoja's daughter?
3. What is the name of the woman least requested by troops, according to convey 16?
4. Where does Olga move after a missionary kills himself over her?
5. In Chapter 10, who goes into business for herself and opens a very successful brothel on the highway to San Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
2. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
3. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
4. What is the "House of Iron"?
5. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
6. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
7. Why do Navy members become upset with Pantoja and his operation?
8. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
9. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
10. What is surprising about Olga's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)