|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is interviewed on the radio in Chapter 7?
2. Who tells the Special Service workers that Brother Francisco is dead?
3. What kind of funeral does Olga receive?
4. Who gives Olga's eulogy?
5. In Chapter 7, a radio host opens with a daily segment called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
2. How does Pantoja react when he is told of the decision to discontinue the operations of the SSGFRI?
3. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
4. What is the "House of Iron"?
5. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
6. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
7. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
8. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
9. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the formal tone used in Pantoja's communications with his superiors? What are some examples of the formality of Pantoja's tone in his memos? Why do you think the author has his character use this formal tone, especially given the subject matter of sex? What goal is he trying accomplish with his narration?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)