|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pantoja go to visit at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. Olga is murdered after what kind of party?
3. Who receives orders to dismantle the command post on the Itaya River after it is revealed that the Special Service will be shut down?
4. A prostitute says on a radio show that part of Pantoja's interview process involves making the girls do what?
5. Brother Francisco dies at the request of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
2. How do the people in Pantoja's life react to him giving Olga's eulogy?
3. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
4. Describe Leonor's dream at the beginning of Chapter 10.
5. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
8. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
9. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
10. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)