|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Pantoja become obsessed with by Chapter 8?
2. Villagers crucify a sub-officer who is dressed how?
3. A mayor tries to make Olga's murder look like it was done by whom?
4. Who receives orders to dismantle the command post on the Itaya River after it is revealed that the Special Service will be shut down?
5. Who decides, after hearing about an attempted kidnapping of prostitutes, that the Special Service has gotten out of hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
2. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
3. Describe Pantoja's relationship with Olga.
4. What happens when Pantoja requests that Morey and the other men from Requena be brought before a military tribunal and tried for their crimes?
5. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
6. How does Sinchi react when he finds out Pantoja is in the military?
7. What is the "House of Iron"?
8. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
9. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
10. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)