|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pantoja's assignment, after the Special Service is shut down, is near what lake?
2. What is the name of the radio station that airs a popular radio show that mentions Pantoja and the Special Service?
3. Where does Olga move after a missionary kills himself over her?
4. How is Pantoja portrayed on a radio show in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the sergeant that elopes with a prostitute in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)