|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lopez Lopez's first name?
2. The Navy vessel that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use was used for a mission in Colombia in what year?
3. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
4. Who finds out they are pregnant in Chapter 5?
5. What has Poncio had people doing in Pantoja's workspace before he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
2. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
3. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
4. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
8. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
9. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)