|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to meet with Pantoja after the secret about the Special Service gets out?
2. What physical condition does Freckle have?
3. What time does Pantoja return home after his first day in his new town?
4. How is Leonor related to Pantoja?
5. What is Rioalto's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dispatch Number One?
2. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
3. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
4. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
5. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
6. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
7. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
8. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
9. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
10. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)