Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lopez Lopez's first name?
2. The Navy vessel that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use was used for a mission in Colombia in what year?
3. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
4. Who finds out they are pregnant in Chapter 5?
5. What has Poncio had people doing in Pantoja's workspace before he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
2. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
3. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
4. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
8. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
9. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the way Pantoja's sense of family seems to change throughout the novel. Where do his priorities lie? Describe Pantoja's relationship with his coworkers in the Special Service. What is their dynamic? How does his relationship with his relatives change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the formal tone used in Pantoja's communications with his superiors? What are some examples of the formality of Pantoja's tone in his memos? Why do you think the author has his character use this formal tone, especially given the subject matter of sex? What goal is he trying accomplish with his narration?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)