|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that will head the Navy ship that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
2. Who would Leonor hobnob with back in Chiclayo?
3. What is Caiguas' first name?
4. What is the name of the memorandum from Pantoja to Collazos at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What kind of porpoise oil does Pantoja say to stay away from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
2. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
3. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
4. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
7. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
8. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
9. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
10. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the formal tone used in Pantoja's communications with his superiors? What are some examples of the formality of Pantoja's tone in his memos? Why do you think the author has his character use this formal tone, especially given the subject matter of sex? What goal is he trying accomplish with his narration?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)