|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Navy vessel that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use was used for a mission in Colombia in what year?
2. What are the official colors of Pantoja's special service?
3. What is the nickname of the famous prostitute that knocks on Pocha's door?
4. How many new prostitutes are hired for the Special Service in Chapter 5?
5. What is Pantoja's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
2. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
3. What is the "House of Iron"?
4. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
5. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
6. What information does Maclovia reveal during her radio interview that outrages listeners?
7. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
8. What is Dispatch Number One?
9. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
10. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
This section contains 2,048 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)