Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not believe Pantoja when he tells his superiors how many men are being serviced by the Special Service each week?
2. How does Pocha describe the women of Loreto?
3. When the reader first meets Brother Francisco in Chapter 1, what is he asking people to do?
4. In what year is the Special Services' pilot mission?
5. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olga die?
2. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
3. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
4. Why are Sinforoso Caiguas and Palominos Rioalto chosen to assist Pantoja and his new operation?
5. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
6. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
7. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
8. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
9. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
10. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
What is the significance of the formal tone used in Pantoja's communications with his superiors? What are some examples of the formality of Pantoja's tone in his memos? Why do you think the author has his character use this formal tone, especially given the subject matter of sex? What goal is he trying accomplish with his narration?
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)