|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that will head the Navy ship that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
2. How many new prostitutes are hired for the Special Service in Chapter 5?
3. What does SSGFRI stand for?
4. What does Pocha's new friend do for Pocha and herself?
5. What nickname do the prostitutes give to the command post where Pantoja works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
2. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
3. What is Dispatch Number 2?
4. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
5. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
6. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
7. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
8. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
9. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
10. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)