|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the famous religious man Leonor begins to follow?
2. What month is Pocha's letter to a relative dated in Chapter 3?
3. What relative does Pocha write a letter to in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Pocha hope Pantoja's assignment will take them?
5. What does SSGFRI stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
3. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
4. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
5. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
6. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
7. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
8. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
9. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
10. Why are Sinforoso Caiguas and Palominos Rioalto chosen to assist Pantoja and his new operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)