|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is assigned to work as Pantoja's liaison officer?
2. What is the name of Pocha's new friend?
3. Who would Leonor hobnob with back in Chiclayo?
4. What title has Pantoja recently been promoted to?
5. What is the name of the popular local radio personality who goes to visit Pantoja?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja sample strange drinks and concoctions?
2. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
3. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
4. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
5. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
6. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
7. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
8. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
9. What is Dispatch Number One?
10. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)