|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Pocha and Leonor not allowed to shop?
2. What is Collazos' first name?
3. What has Pocha been finding that Leonor has been leaving all over the house?
4. Who refuses to meet with Pantoja after the secret about the Special Service gets out?
5. How many new prostitutes are hired for the Special Service in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
2. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
3. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
4. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
7. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
8. Why does Pantoja sample strange drinks and concoctions?
9. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
10. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)