|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the reader first meets Brother Francisco in Chapter 1, what is he asking people to do?
2. Who does not believe Pantoja when he tells his superiors how many men are being serviced by the Special Service each week?
3. Who finds out they are pregnant in Chapter 5?
4. What relative does Pocha write a letter to in Chapter 3?
5. What crimes are soldiers committing in the Amazon jungle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dispatch Number 2?
2. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
3. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
4. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
5. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
6. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
7. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
8. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
9. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
10. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)