|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dispatch from Captain Pantoja to General Collazos follows Carrillo's naval memorandum?
2. How many new prostitutes are hired for the Special Service in Chapter 5?
3. What does Pocha's new friend do for Pocha and herself?
4. What kind of porpoise oil does Pantoja say to stay away from?
5. What has Pocha been finding that Leonor has been leaving all over the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
2. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
3. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
4. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
5. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
6. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
7. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
8. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
9. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
10. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the way Pantoja's sense of family seems to change throughout the novel. Where do his priorities lie? Describe Pantoja's relationship with his coworkers in the Special Service. What is their dynamic? How does his relationship with his relatives change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)