|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Master Poncio?
2. What nickname do the prostitutes give to the command post where Pantoja works?
3. What is Caiguas' first name?
4. What is Olga's nickname?
5. What is the name of the Navy admiral who gives Pantoja permission to use a ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
2. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
3. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
4. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
5. What happens when Sinchi approaches Pocha at the airport when she is leaving Panjota?
6. What happens when Chuchupe and Wong try to convince Pantoja to leave the military and go into business with them?
7. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
8. How does Olga die?
9. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
10. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's use of written correspondences in the novel. Describe two instances where the author makes use of letters or memos. What purpose do they serve for the reader? Why do you think the author employs so many of them as opposed to writing in traditional narrative style?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)