|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people begin carrying around with them after someone is sacrificed?
2. What is The Brothers of the Ark?
3. How does Pocha meet her new friend?
4. What is Olga's occupation?
5. What is Pantoja told not to wear while living in his new town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
2. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
3. What is Dispatch Number One?
4. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
5. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
6. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
7. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
8. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
9. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the army's motives for keeping Pantoja at arm's length and the repercussions of them treating him like they are ashamed of him. What instances are there of the army keeping Pantoja at a distance? What techniques does the author use to show the reader than Pantoja is being kept at a distance from the army? Why do you think the army is treating Pantoja this way? Do they seem happy with his performance?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)