|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of porpoise oil does Pantoja say to stay away from?
2. Where are Pocha and Leonor not allowed to shop?
3. What have The Brothers of the Ark been doing in Pantoja's workspace before he gets there?
4. What is the new name of the hydroplane that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
5. What dispatch from Captain Pantoja to General Collazos follows Carrillo's naval memorandum?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
2. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
3. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
4. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
5. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
6. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
7. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
8. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
9. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
10. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)