|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to meet with Pantoja after the secret about the Special Service gets out?
2. Who does Leonor witness being sacrificed?
3. At what port does the Special Services' pilot mission take place?
4. Pantoja's workspace is overrun by what?
5. Where does Leonor hope Pantoja's assignment will take them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
2. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
3. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
4. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
5. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
6. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
7. What is Dispatch Number One?
8. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
9. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
10. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Mother Leonor's nightmare where a cockroach is eaten by a rat who is eaten by a lizard who is eaten by a jaguar who is crucified and whose remains are devoured by cockroaches? What does her dream seem to be a metaphor for? How might the dream relate to Pantoja and his situation with the army?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)