|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Pocha's new friend?
2. What is the name of the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane?
3. On what day of the month is the Special Services' pilot mission?
4. What is Olga's last name?
5. Who is Master Poncio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
2. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
3. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
4. Why are Sinforoso Caiguas and Palominos Rioalto chosen to assist Pantoja and his new operation?
5. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
6. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
7. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
8. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
9. Why does Pantoja sample strange drinks and concoctions?
10. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)