|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lopez Lopez's first name?
2. The Navy vessel that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use was used for a mission in Colombia in what year?
3. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
4. Who finds out they are pregnant in Chapter 5?
5. What has Poncio had people doing in Pantoja's workspace before he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
2. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
3. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
4. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
8. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
9. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)