Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not believe Pantoja when he tells his superiors how many men are being serviced by the Special Service each week?
2. How does Pocha describe the women of Loreto?
3. When the reader first meets Brother Francisco in Chapter 1, what is he asking people to do?
4. In what year is the Special Services' pilot mission?
5. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olga die?
2. Why does Panjota feel like his military career is in shambles?
3. How do other officers feel about Pantoja, according to Mendoza?
4. Why are Sinforoso Caiguas and Palominos Rioalto chosen to assist Pantoja and his new operation?
5. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
6. Why did the "House of Iron" fail in the Amazon?
7. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
8. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
9. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
10. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)