|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do the prostitutes give to Pantoja?
2. What Air Battalion number is the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane commander of?
3. The Navy admiral who gives Pantoja permission to use a ship is chief of what?
4. What is Olga's occupation?
5. What is the original name of the hydroplane that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
2. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
3. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
4. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
5. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
6. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
7. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
8. What is Dispatch Number One?
9. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
10. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the formal tone used in Pantoja's communications with his superiors? What are some examples of the formality of Pantoja's tone in his memos? Why do you think the author has his character use this formal tone, especially given the subject matter of sex? What goal is he trying accomplish with his narration?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)