|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is the Special Services' pilot mission?
2. Who sees Pantoja out on the town with Olga?
3. Who is the highest-paid "specialist" in the SSGFRI?
4. How many men are serviced by the Special Service each week, according to Pantoja in Chapter 5?
5. What branch of the military is Pantoja employed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
2. What information does Maclovia reveal during her radio interview that outrages listeners?
3. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
4. How does Morey try to cover up Olga's murder?
5. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
6. What does a letter to Sinchi from disgruntled citizens say?
7. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
8. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
9. What is the "House of Iron"?
10. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)