|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pantoja told not to wear while living in his new town?
2. How long does it take Pantoja, Caiguas and Rioalto to clean and organize their new work site?
3. What is the nickname of the famous prostitute that knocks on Pocha's door?
4. In what year is the Special Services' pilot mission?
5. What is the city where Pocha and Leonor went to hear a famous religious man speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
2. Why does Pantoja sample strange drinks and concoctions?
3. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
4. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
5. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
6. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
7. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
8. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
9. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
10. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)