|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Air Battalion number is the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane commander of?
2. In what year is the Special Services' pilot mission?
3. What is Olga's occupation?
4. What nickname do the prostitutes give to Pantoja?
5. What is the name of the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
2. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
3. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
4. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
5. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
6. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
7. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
8. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
9. What is Dispatch Number 2?
10. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's use of comedy or humor in his novel. What instances of humor do you notice? Why do you think the author wrote his book with this tone in mind? Considering the subject matter, are you surprised by the lightheartedness of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the way Pantoja's sense of family seems to change throughout the novel. Where do his priorities lie? Describe Pantoja's relationship with his coworkers in the Special Service. What is their dynamic? How does his relationship with his relatives change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)