|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of porpoise oil does Pantoja say to stay away from?
2. What is Pantoja's first name?
3. What branch of the military is Pantoja employed with?
4. What is the name of Pocha's new friend?
5. What is the new name of the Navy ship Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
2. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
3. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
4. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
5. What is Dispatch Number One?
6. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
7. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
8. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
9. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
10. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Pantoja's feelings about sex throughout the novel. How does he seem to feel about sex prior to the formation of the Special Service? How do his views change? What are some examples that show how his views change? What do you think is the significance of his changes views on sex? What is the author trying to say about Pantoja as a character? What might he be saying about sex?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)