Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lopez Lopez's first name?
2. The Navy vessel that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use was used for a mission in Colombia in what year?
3. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
4. Who finds out they are pregnant in Chapter 5?
5. What has Poncio had people doing in Pantoja's workspace before he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja visit Huallaga?
2. How does Maclovia behave during her radio interview with Sinchi?
3. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
4. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
5. What is Dispatch Number 2?
6. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
7. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
8. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
9. How do members of the Army feel about Brother Francisco?
10. What does a supposedly anonymous letter from Sinchi to Panjota say?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)