|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Olga's last name?
2. What is the name of the memorandum from Pantoja to Collazos at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Where are Pocha and Leonor not allowed to shop?
4. According to his mathematical calculations in Chapter 2, Pantoja determines that in order to meet demand, a total of how many services from prostitutes will be necessary on a monthly basis?
5. What kind of porpoise oil does Pantoja say to stay away from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
2. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
3. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
4. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Where does Pantoja's family hope he relocates?
6. What is the success level of the Special Service's pilot mission?
7. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
8. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
9. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
10. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the army's inability to keep the Secret Service a secret? When does it become clear that the mission is no longer being kept a tight secret? What seems to be the reason the secret gets out? Why do you think the army keeps adding more and more people to the circle of people who know about the mission? Why do you think they are not being more careful?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the way Pantoja's sense of family seems to change throughout the novel. Where do his priorities lie? Describe Pantoja's relationship with his coworkers in the Special Service. What is their dynamic? How does his relationship with his relatives change throughout the novel?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)