|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane?
2. Who would Leonor hobnob with back in Chiclayo?
3. What is The Brothers of the Ark?
4. What month is Pocha's letter to a relative dated in Chapter 3?
5. What country does the novel take place in when it opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
2. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
3. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
4. What is Pantoja's job in Iquitos?
5. What does Pocha tell Chichi about Leonor's following of Brother Fransisco?
6. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
7. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
9. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
10. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in Pocha's letter to her little sister. What does she think is happening with Pantoja? Why does she seem to have this bad feeling? What techniques does the author use to let the reader know this is foreshadowing and not just character development for Pocha? How does her foreshadowing eventually come to fruition?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of names in the book. Consider the names Vargas Llosa gives his characters. Which ones stand out to you the most? Why? Why do you think the author gives his characters such colorful names? What sort of tone do these interesting names add to the book?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)