|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Master Poncio?
2. The Navy admiral who gives Pantoja permission to use a ship is chief of what?
3. What Air Battalion number is the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane commander of?
4. What is the name of the man that will head the Navy ship that Pantoja and the Special Service are allowed to use?
5. What is the nickname of the famous prostitute that knocks on Pocha's door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pocha and Alicia spend their time doing?
2. What happens when Sinchi, a popular local radio personality, visits the command post for the first time to have a discussion with Pantoja?
3. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
4. Why does Pochita think Pantoja is up to no good after their first night in Iquitos?
5. What is Dispatch Number One?
6. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What is Dispatch Number 2?
8. Why does it take Pantoja and his crew a week to turn the Itaya depot into a suitable work space?
9. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
10. What does the dispatch from Rear Admiral Carrillo, Chief of the River Forces of the Amazon to Captain Pantoja's superiors say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Pantoja's straight-laced nature at the start of the book. Describe two instances in which Pantoja shows himself to be straight-laced. Knowing Pantoja is prudish and does everything by the book, why does Army choose him to run their operation? Why does this prudish nature work both for and against him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the way Olga is portrayed through a series of newspaper articles? How is she depicted in these articles? Explore the contradictions around her portrayal? How has Olga been portrayed in the novel prior to the newspaper articles? Does your opinion of her change at all after reading this chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)