|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city where Pocha and Leonor went to hear a famous religious man speak?
2. Rioalto and Caiguas are noted as having a certain indifference toward what type of people?
3. What does Pantoja tell his family he is doing for his new job?
4. What is Beltran's role in the military?
5. What Air Battalion number is the Air Force officer who lets Pantoja use a hydroplane commander of?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what conditions is the Special Service allowed to use a Navy boat?
2. Why are Sinforoso Caiguas and Palominos Rioalto chosen to assist Pantoja and his new operation?
3. Why is Pantoja happy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
5. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
6. What problems does Pocha tell Chichi she is having with Pantoja?
7. What signs of growth in the Special Service are shown in Chapter 5?
8. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
9. Why are people in Moronacocha heralding a young boy as a martyr?
10. Why does Pantoja begin receiving complaints from military posts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the "The Hymn of the Special Service"? Why do you think Pantoja provides the lyrics to his superiors? How does he feel about the song? What is the significance of his feelings about the song? Thinking about the lyrics, how do the prostitutes seem to feel about their jobs? Why do you think the author shows the reader the prostitutes' take on their jobs?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Olga's murder to the rest of the novel? Why do you think Olga is killed off in the story? Are you surprised by her fate? Why or why not? How does her murder move the plot of the story along? Do you think it is significant that her murder is the result of a botched plan to kidnap and rape her? Why do you think Vargas Llosa chooses to kill her this way and not actually be purposefully be murdered by Moray and his men?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of excess in the book. Where does the reader see excess in the book? What do the characters in the book seem to be obsessed with? Why do you think people give themselves over to their desires so easily? Why is the setting of the story important to the theme of excess? What does the author seem to be saying about excesses?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)