|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brother Francisco's religious title?
2. What relative does Pocha write a letter to in Chapter 3?
3. What title has Pantoja recently been promoted to?
4. How many prostitutes will be on staff in Pantoja's special service?
5. How is Leonor related to Pantoja?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pantoja put on his uniform in Chapter 10?
2. How does Olga die?
3. Describe "The Hymn of the Special Service."
4. Why does Pantoja sample strange drinks and concoctions?
5. What does Sinchi say about Pantoja on-air the first time he talks about him?
6. What instructions does Air Force Colonel Andrés Sarmiento Segovia give about a hydroplane called Delilah?
7. Describe Olga's life prior to becoming a prostitute with the Special Service.
8. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
9. What preliminary instructions is Pantoja given before leaving for Iquitos?
10. What does Beltrán want to leave the Army?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the character Sinchi and his role in the novel. How does he relate to other characters? What narrative function does he serve? What is the significance of his hypocrisy and his manipulative personality? What does the author seem to be saying through his character?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the significance of the religious sect, the Brothers of the Ark. What does the sect seem to represent? What narrative function does the sect serve? How is the sect described throughout the novel? What seems to be the overall tone around the sect? What techniques does the author use to portray the sect? What seems to be the significance of the sacrifices and other violent acts?
This section contains 1,991 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)