|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city where Pocha and Leonor went to hear a famous religious man speak?
2. Who would Leonor hobnob with back in Chiclayo?
3. Pantoja's workspace is overrun by what?
4. How long has the Special Service been in operation at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does SSGFRI stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pocha say in a letter to her sister Chichi in Chapter 3?
2. Why is Captain Pantoja being relocated in Chapter 1?
3. What is Dispatch Number 2?
4. What does Pantoja tell Collazos about red porpoise oil?
5. Describe the nightmare Pantoja has about the Special Services in Chapter 2.
6. What have Poncio and his devotees been working on?
7. What is the issue that Pantoja is being sent to the small city of Iquitos to handle?
8. Why is Mother Leonor having a hard time in Iquitos?
9. How has Pocha adapted to life in Iquitos?
10. Why are Pantoja's coworkers concerned about him spending time with a woman named Olga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular narrative of the ending. Why do you think Pantoja's life goes back to normal in the end? What do you think he has learned from this whole experience? Were you surprised by the ending? What do you think the author is trying to say with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of secondary characters in the novel. Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve? What purpose do the secondary characters serve? Why are there so many of them? What point is the author trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the dream Pantoja has in which Olga becomes his wife? How does this dream seem to affect him while he is having it? What is the overall tone of the dream? How does he seem to feel about the women in his life in the dream? Why do you think the dream contains several instances of mistaken identity?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)