|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been more potent for progress than the visible hand for retrogression according to Friedman?
2. Friedman theorizes compulsory purchase of annuities has imposed ______ costs for ______ gains.
3. At the time of the book's publication, there was a tendency to regard government intervention as ______.
4. Another threat for Friedman to the preservation and expansion of freedom is:
5. Labor unions are referred to as ______.
Essay Topic 1
After describing the current international trade situation regarding government regulation of exchange rates and the price of gold, Friedman goes on to explain his free market solution. What is Friedman's solution? What are the positives and negatives with it? In your opinion, do you think it would work?
Essay Topic 2
Friedman advocates for the end of the progressive income tax in favor of a flat tax. Why is he against the progressive income tax? What are the benefits to a flat tax? In an essay, analyze Friedman's claims on the progressive income tax.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 7 is arguably Friedman's most controversial chapter because of his views of government intervention in discrimination. Friedman, the free market capitalist, believes that government should not have laws based on race and people should be free to shop, purchase, and hire wherever they choose. Analyze Friedman's argument and examine the historical examples he gives to support his opinion.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)