|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of Friedman's claims for government involvement in education asserts that there are ______ to education.
2. Friedman argues against the theory that $100 in government spending will increase income by ______.
3. A major point for Friedman is that politics and economics are not ______.
4. In Friedman's analysis, what century is the historical exception to most men living in tyranny, servitude, and misery?
5. According to Friedman, the market enables wide diversity, meaning power can be located in ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by "paternalistic grounds"?
2. What does Friedman think of the remark, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"?
3. Explain the paternalistic argument that Friedman describes for government involvement in education.
4. What examples does Friedman give of when the Federal Reserve System mismanaged the money supply?
5. Explain the price system as described by Friedman.
6. Concerning business cycles that Friedman explains, what is one role of government?
7. What reason does Friedman refute for government spending?
8. According to Friedman, what is the difference between schooling and education? What does the government do?
9. How does Friedman argue that floating exchange rates can affect international trade?
10. What are Friedman's recommendations in order for stocks to become self-regulating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedman makes a clear distinction between the historical usage of the term liberal and the present day definition. Compare and contrast the different uses of the term liberal.
Essay Topic 2
Friedman discusses the role of government in education. He says that the government can require education because a democratic society cannot exist without a literate and informed population. Focusing on compulsory education, analyze the role of government in education.
Essay Topic 3
Friedman articulates that economic freedom is necessary for political freedom. Analyze the factors necessary for economic freedom to occur and explain where government intervention is appropriate.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)