|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of the book's publication, there was a tendency to regard government intervention as ______.
2. Friedman hypothesizes that there has been a change in discrimination along with the rise of capitalism because ______.
(a) Greed has overtaken all ethical values.
(b) Contract arrangements replaced status as a source of wealth.
(c) Religion has argued equality on moral grounds.
(d) There has been an increase in the population of skilled workers.
3. What industry sector is most prevalent in monopoly?
4. Friedman advocates ______ income of the poor.
5. Another threat for Friedman to the preservation and expansion of freedom is:
(a) An internal threat of government regulation.
(b) An internal threat of unfair political practices.
(c) An internal threat of licensure requirements.
(d) An internal threat of labor unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major reason Friedman asserts why government intervention has had the opposite of the intended effects?
2. What is the term for making non-membership in a union a condition of employment?
3. What is one example Friedman uses to demonstrate his point on monopoly in industry?
4. What prefix were New Dealers commonly called?
5. One argument Friedman theorizes for Social Security is ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is occupational licensure?
2. Who are the biggest advocates of occupational licensure that Friedman describes?
3. What recommendations would Friedman give to a president about an economic downturn?
4. Do you agree or disagree with Friedman's flat tax proposal?
5. What does Friedman say about public housing as a form of social welfare?
6. Why is Friedman against fair employment laws?
7. Friedman accepts the reasoning that justifies "governmental action to alleviate poverty" (p. 191). What two issues must be addressed in order for this to happen?
8. What are two problems with monopolies for the liberal?
9. What are the three forms of control discussed by Friedman in Chapter 9, Occupational Licensure?
10. In Chapter 13, Friedman summarizes his examples. Which do you disagree with?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)