|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of the book's publication, there was a tendency to regard government intervention as ______.
2. What effect has public housing had on the density of people per dwelling?
(a) Increased it.
(b) Maintained it.
(c) Spread it out.
(d) Reduced it.
3. What one argument for OASI can be justified for Friedman?
(a) It helps low-income people more than high-income people.
(b) It helps high-income people more than low-income people.
(c) It serves as a magnification of society's social issues.
(d) It puts youth and the elderly on the same playing field.
4. What is the term for making non-membership in a union a condition of employment?
(a) "Green-bird" contract.
(b) Red-cat" contract.
(c) "Blue-bee" contract.
(d) "Yellow-dog" contract.
5. What is one example of a government supported monopoly?
(a) The auto industry.
(b) The postal service.
(c) The sugar cane industry.
(d) The coal industry.
6. What is one factor that Friedman believes has reduced inequality?
(a) Government intervention.
(b) Educational opportunities.
(c) Civil Rights laws.
(d) Advances in technology.
7. Friedman would agree that racism is ______.
(b) Fixable with government intervention.
8. For Friedman, what is the main argument for licensure?
9. What is one method that governments have used to alter the distribution of income?
(a) Social welfare.
(b) Selling bonds.
(c) Income taxation.
(d) Real estate law.
10. In 1961, how much did the government spend on direct welfare payments and programs?
(a) $30 million.
(b) $33 billion.
(c) $45 million.
(d) $42 billion.
11. What is one disadvantage Friedman describes of programs to alleviate poverty?
12. According to Friedman, Social security measures were enacted to make receipt of assistance a matter of ______.
13. What type of society does Friedman believe is least materialistic?
14. In Chapter 10, The Distribution of Income, what was the chief characteristic of progress and development over the past century?
(a) Increae in leisure time.
(b) Advances in education.
(c) Advances in technology.
(d) Advances in entertainment.
15. For Friedman, what is one major problem in interpreting the evidence on the distribution of income?
(a) Temporary vs. long run income status.
(b) Defining poverty levels.
(c) Reliable empirical evidence.
(d) Lack of data.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Friedman think can abuse licensure?
2. What does the Texas Railroad Commission enforce?
3. How many problems with monopolies does Friedman describe?
4. Where does Friedman live?
5. Forming a list of who engages in what is known as ______.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)