|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
2. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
3. Where is a gun pressed against Coyote Runs?
4. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
5. What does Brennan tell his mother is the only way to get the kids to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
4. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
5. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
6. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
10. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
Essay Topic 1
Brennan returns home from the camping trip and finds himself obsessed with the skull. Brennan has many dreams that are not of experiences he has ever had, making Brennan wonder if perhaps there is some kind of connection between him and the skull.
1. There seems to be an implication here that the dead can talk to the living in dreams. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and the dreams is the way most 15-year-old boys would react? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and dreams is reasonable and believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Canyons.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,707 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)