|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say about the canyons in which they are located?
2. What does Brennan like to do for fun?
3. What does Coyote Runs quickly realize in the chaos?
4. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
5. Why is Coyote Runs going to the answer to question #75?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
2. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
3. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
4. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
5. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
6. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
7. Who does Coyote Runs' group encounter as they are heading to their destination, and how do they handle that encounter?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
10. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan returns home from the camping trip and finds himself obsessed with the skull. Brennan has many dreams that are not of experiences he has ever had, making Brennan wonder if perhaps there is some kind of connection between him and the skull.
1. There seems to be an implication here that the dead can talk to the living in dreams. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and the dreams is the way most 15-year-old boys would react? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and dreams is reasonable and believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Brennan to Coyote Runs. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their era differences or culture?
2. Coyote Runs seems to be connected to Brennan. Do you think the connection would have occurred with anyone who happened to have found his skull? Why or why not?
3. Compare Coyote Runs' life with Brennan's life. How are they similar? How are they different? Use examples from Canyons to illustrate your comparison.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)