Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
2. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
3. Where is a gun pressed against Coyote Runs?
4. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
5. What does Brennan tell his mother is the only way to get the kids to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
4. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
5. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
6. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
10. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
Essay Topic 1
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)