|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coyote Runs have ready when they looked in on the soldiers' camp?
2. Where are the Indian warriors going in Chapter 3?
3. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
4. Why does Brennan work?
5. Where was the white school Coyote Runs had to attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
2. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
3. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
4. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
5. Why does Brennan work and for whom does he work?
6. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
7. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
8. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
9. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
10. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
Essay Topic 3
Some aspects of the metaphysical is in Canyons such as Brennan hearing Coyote Runs voice in his head. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical," with examples from research.
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in the Canyons, e. g.: What elements of Canyons seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)