|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Coyote Runs fear for his life?
2. To where does Coyote Runs head?
3. What kind of horse does Coyote Runs ride on the way home?
4. What does Brennan think the men in his mother's life do?
5. What are two activities Brennan's mother became involved in that he managed to avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
2. Why does Brennan work and for whom does he work?
3. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
4. What does Coyote Runs learn he will be doing soon and which of his friends will be doing it also?
5. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
6. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
7. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
8. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
9. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
10. Who does Coyote Runs' group encounter as they are heading to their destination, and how do they handle that encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. What is the symbolism between Brennan's life and Coyote Runs' life?
2. With research define narrative contrivance and make a case for or against whether the fact it was a fourteen year old boy who runs found the skull and other contrivances, such as Brennan injuring his ankle just as Coyote Runs' ankle was injured from being shot.
3. With research, chose a group of people today who are experiencing the same type of genocide that the American Indian experienced in the 1800s. Discuss the differences and similarities between the two groups of people.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)