|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan's mother often do in the house?
2. Where does Coyote Runs' tribe occasionally get beef?
3. Where did Brennan lose a man who was dating his mother when the man went running with him?
4. Where was the white school Coyote Runs had to attend?
5. What does Brennan recognize about the skull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
2. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
3. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
4. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
5. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
6. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
9. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
10. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of Canyons. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Canyons. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in Canyons? Which theme in Canyons speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Coyote Runs becomes afraid when Magpie is shot down. All of a sudden for him death is possible and life is uncertain.
1. Why do you think Coyote Runs is alarmed at the uncertainty of life? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)