|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brennan annoyed about being in the van?
2. For whom does Brennan work?
3. What are two activities Brennan's mother became involved in that he managed to avoid?
4. What does Bill say about the canyons in which they are located?
5. What does Brennan do when he can't sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
2. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
3. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
4. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
5. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
6. What does Coyote Runs believe about him and bullets and what does he do after catching up with the rest of the raiding party?
7. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
8. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
9. With what does Brennan become obsessed and what starts happening to him?
10. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
Essay Topic 1
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Canyons.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,787 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)