|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the canyon where Bill says they are camping?
2. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
3. Why is Brennan annoyed about being in the van?
4. What did Brennan feel when he held his breath when he was first staring at the cottonwoods?
5. What will Coyote Runs be doing when the warriors stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
2. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
3. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
4. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
5. Who does Coyote Runs' group encounter as they are heading to their destination, and how do they handle that encounter?
6. What does Coyote Runs believe about him and bullets and what does he do after catching up with the rest of the raiding party?
7. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
8. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
9. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
10. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan returns home from the camping trip and finds himself obsessed with the skull. Brennan has many dreams that are not of experiences he has ever had, making Brennan wonder if perhaps there is some kind of connection between him and the skull.
1. There seems to be an implication here that the dead can talk to the living in dreams. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and the dreams is the way most 15-year-old boys would react? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and dreams is reasonable and believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)