|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan do when he can't sleep?
2. What kind of weapon does Coyote Runs have?
3. How does Brennan feel about his father?
4. Where are the Indian warriors going in Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of the canyon where Bill says they are camping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
2. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
3. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
4. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
5. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
6. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
7. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
8. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
9. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
10. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan becomes friends with Mr. Homesley, his biology teacher. This friendship changes Brennan's life.
1. Discuss some of the changes that occur as a direct result of Brennan and Mr. Homesley's friendship. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
2. Based on the character of Mr. Homesley discuss what kind of a teacher he is and whether he is a typical teacher. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
3. Discuss Brennan's response to Mr. Homesley in relation to the fact of Brennan not knowing his father. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)