|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Coyote Runs' tribe occasionally get beef?
2. How many attackers chase Magpie and Coyote Runs?
3. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
4. What does the event in question #1 mark for Coyote Runs?
5. Why is Brennan annoyed about being in the van?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs learn he will be doing soon and which of his friends will be doing it also?
2. In Chapter 3, where is Coyote Runs going and who is he following?
3. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
4. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
5. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
6. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
7. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
8. What does Coyote Runs believe about him and bullets and what does he do after catching up with the rest of the raiding party?
9. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
10. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
Essay Topic 2
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)