|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the event in question #1 mark for Coyote Runs?
2. What does Brennan take with him when he goes to his sleeping bag?
3. How old is Coyote Runs?
4. Why is Coyote Runs going to the answer to question #75?
5. Where is Coyote Runs shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
2. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
3. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
4. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
5. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
6. What does Coyote Runs learn he will be doing soon and which of his friends will be doing it also?
7. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
8. Where does Brennan hide the skull in his house?
9. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
10. What was in a letter from a school Brennan finds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
Essay Topic 3
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
This section contains 2,671 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)