|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan hear after he picks up the skull?
2. What does Brennan tell his mother is the only way to get the kids to sleep?
3. What does Brennan think the men in his mother's life do?
4. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
5. What does Brennan think about how his mother talks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
2. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
3. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
4. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
5. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
6. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
7. What does Brennan do as the kids begin to settle down?
8. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
9. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
10. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Canyons based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Canyons is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Canyons has paranormal incidences in it changes whether it is a successful novel especially along the lines of whether it is believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)