|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
2. How did the Indians carry water for their horses?
3. How does Coyote Runs think he must be on his quest to be a man?
4. What did Brennan feel when he held his breath when he was first staring at the cottonwoods?
5. What is Coyote Runs doing with the warriors in question #9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs learn he will be doing soon and which of his friends will be doing it also?
2. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
3. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
4. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
5. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
6. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
9. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
10. In Chapter 3, where is Coyote Runs going and who is he following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)