|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan take with him when he goes to his sleeping bag?
2. How did Brennan think of the kids in the van?
3. Where did Brennan lose a man who was dating his mother when the man went running with him?
4. What did Coyote Runs have ready when they looked in on the soldiers' camp?
5. Why does Coyote Runs believe he can escape bullets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
2. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
3. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
4. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
5. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
6. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
7. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
8. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
9. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
10. What does Brennan hear and what does he do with the skull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)