|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
2. What does Brennan like to talk about while working?
3. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
4. Why does Brennan work?
5. How did the Indians carry water for their horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
2. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
3. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
4. What does Coyote Runs learn he will be doing soon and which of his friends will be doing it also?
5. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
6. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Who does Coyote Runs' group encounter as they are heading to their destination, and how do they handle that encounter?
9. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
10. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Brennan to Coyote Runs. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their era differences or culture?
2. Coyote Runs seems to be connected to Brennan. Do you think the connection would have occurred with anyone who happened to have found his skull? Why or why not?
3. Compare Coyote Runs' life with Brennan's life. How are they similar? How are they different? Use examples from Canyons to illustrate your comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)