Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
2. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
3. Where is a gun pressed against Coyote Runs?
4. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
5. What does Brennan tell his mother is the only way to get the kids to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
4. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
5. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
6. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
10. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)