Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs almost do after the raid?
2. What does the soldier who shoots Coyote Runs do as he pulls the trigger?
3. Where is a gun pressed against Coyote Runs?
4. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
5. What does Brennan tell his mother is the only way to get the kids to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
4. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
5. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
6. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
10. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Canyons help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Canyons? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Canyons to discuss and compare Brennan's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Brennan to Coyote Runs. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their era differences or culture?
2. Coyote Runs seems to be connected to Brennan. Do you think the connection would have occurred with anyone who happened to have found his skull? Why or why not?
3. Compare Coyote Runs' life with Brennan's life. How are they similar? How are they different? Use examples from Canyons to illustrate your comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)