|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Brennan think the cliffs were like?
2. How are the buildings arranged at Fort Bliss?
3. With whom are Brennan and his mother doing the event in question #20?
4. Where does Coyote Runs try to hide from the soldiers?
5. What did Coyote Runs have ready when they looked in on the soldiers' camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
2. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
3. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
4. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
5. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
6. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
7. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
8. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
9. What kind of school and where is it that Coyote Runs attended and who attended with him?
10. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Canyons help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Canyons? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Canyons to discuss and compare Brennan's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)