|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan take with him when he goes to his sleeping bag?
2. What is the name of the canyon where Bill says they are camping?
3. How many attackers chase Magpie and Coyote Runs?
4. How does Brennan feel about his father?
5. With whom does Coyote Runs catch up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the school Coyote Runs' attended suppose to do for him?
2. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
3. Why is Brennan annoyed while riding in the van? How does he feel about being there?
4. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
5. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
6. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
7. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
8. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
9. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
10. In Chapter 3, where is Coyote Runs going and who is he following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Canyons help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Canyons? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Canyons to discuss and compare Brennan's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)