|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two activities Brennan's mother became involved in that he managed to avoid?
2. What did Brennan think the cliffs were like?
3. What does Brennan take with him when he goes to his sleeping bag?
4. For whom does Brennan work?
5. To where does Coyote Runs head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
2. What happens as Brennan climbs some rocks and what is his response?
3. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
4. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
5. What does Brennan find out when he comes home in Chapter 21?
6. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
7. What does Brennan hear and what does he do with the skull?
8. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
9. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
10. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Some aspects of the metaphysical is in Canyons such as Brennan hearing Coyote Runs voice in his head. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical," with examples from research.
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in the Canyons, e. g.: What elements of Canyons seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,625 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)