|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan's employer like to talk about?
2. What is Coyote Runs' job on the raid?
3. What kind of weapon does Coyote Runs have?
4. What ethnicity are the ranchers the party raided?
5. What did Brennan feel when he held his breath when he was first staring at the cottonwoods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
2. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
3. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
4. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
5. In Chapter 3, where is Coyote Runs going and who is he following?
6. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
7. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
8. Why is the event in question #1 significant to Coyote Runs and how has he prepared for this event?
9. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
10. Why can't Brennan sleep and why does he dig a skull out of the dirt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Coyote Runs becomes afraid when Magpie is shot down. All of a sudden for him death is possible and life is uncertain.
1. Why do you think Coyote Runs is alarmed at the uncertainty of life? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)