|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coyote Runs call a match for lighting a fire?
2. What does Coyote Runs call his mother when she lights the cook fire?
3. How does the raiding party keep its horses quiet?
4. What does Coyote Runs quickly realize in the chaos?
5. Why didn't Brennan use an excuse to get out of going on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Coyote Runs told to do on the raid?
2. Where does the van in which Brennan is riding stop and then what do they do?
3. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
4. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
5. What does Brennan do as the kids begin to settle down?
6. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
7. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
8. What kind of gun does Coyote Runs have and what will he be doing with the people in question #6?
9. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
10. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coyote Runs becomes afraid when Magpie is shot down. All of a sudden for him death is possible and life is uncertain.
1. Why do you think Coyote Runs is alarmed at the uncertainty of life? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan returns home from the camping trip and finds himself obsessed with the skull. Brennan has many dreams that are not of experiences he has ever had, making Brennan wonder if perhaps there is some kind of connection between him and the skull.
1. There seems to be an implication here that the dead can talk to the living in dreams. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and the dreams is the way most 15-year-old boys would react? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and dreams is reasonable and believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)