|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coyote Runs' people call the white soldiers?
2. What happens to Coyote Runs in the chaos after the raid?
3. How many attackers chase Magpie and Coyote Runs?
4. Why does Coyote Runs think the uniforms of the soldiers are silly?
5. What does Brennan's hobby do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan do immediately with skull and what is his guess about it?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. Why does Brennan work and for whom does he work?
4. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
5. How does Brennan feel about the person driving the van and how does he feel about the kids in it by the time they arrive?
6. What does Brennan do as the kids begin to settle down?
7. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
8. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
9. What does Brennan suggest at the camp site to settle the children?
10. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Canyons based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Canyons is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Canyons has paranormal incidences in it changes whether it is a successful novel especially along the lines of whether it is believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)