|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom are Brennan and his mother doing the event in question #20?
2. What does Coyote Runs call a match for lighting a fire?
3. What does Coyote Runs quickly realize in the chaos?
4. Who ran the school Coyote Runs attended?
5. What kind of weapon does Coyote Runs have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How close is Brennan and his father and what happens that hurts his mother?
2. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
3. Where does Brennan's mother tell him they are going and with whom?
4. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
5. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
6. Why does Brennan work and for whom does he work?
7. What does Brennan notice as he is arriving at his house in Chapter 2?
8. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
9. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
10. In Chapter 3, where is Coyote Runs going and who is he following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. What is the symbolism between Brennan's life and Coyote Runs' life?
2. With research define narrative contrivance and make a case for or against whether the fact it was a fourteen year old boy who runs found the skull and other contrivances, such as Brennan injuring his ankle just as Coyote Runs' ankle was injured from being shot.
3. With research, chose a group of people today who are experiencing the same type of genocide that the American Indian experienced in the 1800s. Discuss the differences and similarities between the two groups of people.
Essay Topic 2
Brennan becomes friends with Mr. Homesley, his biology teacher. This friendship changes Brennan's life.
1. Discuss some of the changes that occur as a direct result of Brennan and Mr. Homesley's friendship. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
2. Based on the character of Mr. Homesley discuss what kind of a teacher he is and whether he is a typical teacher. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
3. Discuss Brennan's response to Mr. Homesley in relation to the fact of Brennan not knowing his father. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)