|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers approach Coyote Runs?
2. What does the event in question #1 mark for Coyote Runs?
3. What does Brennan do for the person in question #14?
4. For whom does Brennan work?
5. What is the name of the warrior who leads raiding parties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan Cole like to do and how does it help him?
2. What happens to the group of warriors the day after the raid?
3. What does Coyote Runs believe about him and bullets and what does he do after catching up with the rest of the raiding party?
4. Where does Coyote Runs go after Magpie is shot, what has happened to him and his horse? How does that affect what he does?
5. How does the soldier find Coyote Runs and what happens when he finds Coyote Runs?
6. What does Bill tell the children about and what is the name of the canyon near them that relates to his story?
7. How hard is Brennan's job and what does his boss talk about?
8. What does Brennan do as the kids begin to settle down?
9. What horse is Coyote Runs riding after the raid and what are his hopes concerning it?
10. When does Coyote Runs' group travel and where do they stop to rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Brennan to Coyote Runs. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their era differences or culture?
2. Coyote Runs seems to be connected to Brennan. Do you think the connection would have occurred with anyone who happened to have found his skull? Why or why not?
3. Compare Coyote Runs' life with Brennan's life. How are they similar? How are they different? Use examples from Canyons to illustrate your comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Coyote Runs becomes afraid when Magpie is shot down. All of a sudden for him death is possible and life is uncertain.
1. Why do you think Coyote Runs is alarmed at the uncertainty of life? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)