|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Umey's profession?
2. How does the ghost escape from the twins when they first see him?
3. Where does Mr. Otis first see the ghost?
4. What is the name of the man who is said to have murdered the person who caused the blood stain?
5. Who calls Mrs. Umney's story nonsense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Otis do after admitting that the ghost is real?
2. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
3. Why does Lord Canterville refuse to take the jewels that the ghost gave Virginia?
4. What happens when the ghost attempts to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
5. What does Mr. Otis do when the ghost's chains wake him up?
6. What does the ghost steal from Mr. Otis's room? Why?
7. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
8. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
9. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
10. What happens on September 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
England and America are contrasted a few times in this book. Choose a character and write about how that character felt about America and England, and why they felt this way.
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Cecil and Virginia. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book? What affect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)