|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ghost do all night after leaving the Otis family?
2. How does the ghost escape from the twins when they first see him?
3. Who finds the strange thing in the library after the storm?
4. Where is Mr. Otis from?
5. What time of day is the strange thing in the library usually found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does nobody worry about Virginia when she does not come to tea?
2. What does Mrs. Otis do after admitting that the ghost is real?
3. What does the ghost plan to do to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
4. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
5. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
6. How is the marriage between Cecil and Virginia received?
7. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
8. What is the scariest part of the Friday night plan? Why?
9. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
10. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes? How does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)