|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the item that crashed in the hall belong to?
2. What was the occupation of the person who was most afraid after seeing the ghost?
3. Why is Mr. Otis told not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
4. What is found in the library after the storm?
5. What is the name of Mr. Otis's only daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Virginia Otis wins a horse race?
2. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
3. What does Mrs. Otis do after she sees the cause of the crash in the hall? How does the ghost respond to this?
4. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
5. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
6. Where do Mr. Otis and the Duke search for Virginia?
7. What does Virginia show her family when she returns to them?
8. What does the ghost do after Mr. Otis speaks to him for the first time?
9. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
10. When does Lord Canterville say the ghost appears? What is Mr. Otis's response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets? How does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
England and America are contrasted a few times in this book. Choose a character and write about how that character felt about America and England, and why they felt this way.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)