|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Otises do to try and keep the blood stain from reappearing?
2. What does the owner's grand-aunt see in the house that frightens her?
3. What time does the Otis family return to their house after leaving when they come to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
4. What causes Mrs. Umey to faint?
5. What day of the week is the Otis family startled by a large crash in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost say his existence consists of? How does Virginia respond to this?
2. Where do Mr. Otis and the Duke search for Virginia?
3. What do the twins do when they see the ghost for the first time?
4. What happens when the ghost is about to begin his plan to scare Washington on Friday?
5. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
6. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
7. How does Virginia describe what she sees when she gets to the sewing room to fix her dress?
8. Where does the bloodstain in the library come from?
9. How does the ghost plan to scare Washington in his Friday plan?
10. What does Washington do after admitting that the ghost is real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets? How does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)