|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Otis say he will do if the chains wake him up again?
2. What is Mr. Otis annoyed about the morning after his first encounter with the ghost?
3. What is the ghost trying to do when the crash in the hall happened?
4. When was the problem with the house first noticed?
5. Who did the blood belong do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virginia show her family when she returns to them?
2. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
3. How does Virginia describe what she sees when she gets to the sewing room to fix her dress?
4. Where does the bloodstain in the library come from?
5. What does the ghost plan to do to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
6. Why is Virginia so upset when the ghost kept reapplying the bloodstain in the library?
7. How does the ghost ask Virginia to help him? Why?
8. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
9. What does Virginia tell her husband when he asks what happened the day the ghost died?
10. What do the Otises all respond to what Mrs. Umney says when she wakes up from her faint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships? How does their inclusion in this play affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear? How do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances. Compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)