|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owner's grand-aunt see in the house that frightens her?
2. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
3. What time does the Otis family return to their house after leaving when they come to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
4. What is Mrs. Umey's profession?
5. Where is the house that Mr. Otis buys at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
2. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
3. What does the oldest Otis son say when he is told the bloodstain cannot be cleaned?
4. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
5. What does Mr. Otis do when the ghost's chains wake him up?
6. How is the ghost maintaining the bloodstain in the library?
7. How does Mr. Otis feel when Virginia is found? Why?
8. What happens when the ghost attempts to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
9. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
10. What happens when the ghost tries to curse the Otis Family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear? Which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Cecil and Virginia. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear? How do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)