|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the ghost never failed to do before as a ghost?
2. What is the name of Mr. Otis's oldest son?
3. How does the ghost escape from the twins when they first see him?
4. Who does the ghost plan to be for the twins on Friday?
5. What is Mr. Otis's oldest son good at doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
2. What does Mr. Otis think happened to Virginia when he first heard she is missing?
3. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
4. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
5. What pranks do the twins play on the ghost after his Friday night plan fails?
6. Why does Lord Canterville refuse to take the jewels that the ghost gave Virginia?
7. Where does the bloodstain in the library come from?
8. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
9. How does Virginia describe what she sees when she gets to the sewing room to fix her dress?
10. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme? How does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters? How do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)