|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange color does the blood stain appear to be one day?
2. Where does the ghost sleep?
3. Where is the house that Mr. Otis buys at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Mr. Otis say he will welcome to his new house?
5. What does the ghost consider himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ghost maintaining the bloodstain in the library?
2. How does Mr. Otis feel when Virginia is found? Why?
3. Why is Virginia so upset when the ghost kept reapplying the bloodstain in the library?
4. Why does the ghost think he could fit inside the suit of armor in the hall?
5. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
6. What does the ghost do after Mr. Otis speaks to him for the first time?
7. What does Mr. Otis think happened to Virginia when he first heard she is missing?
8. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
9. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
10. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme? How does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme? How does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear? How do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)