|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mr. Otis's daughter?
2. What word does Mr. Otis use to describe his twin boys?
3. What does the family eat when they return to their house after coming to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
4. What does Mr. Otis say he will do if the chains wake him up again?
5. What does the owner's grand-aunt see in the house that frightens her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
2. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
3. What is the scariest part of the Friday night plan? Why?
4. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
5. Why is Virginia so upset when the ghost kept reapplying the bloodstain in the library?
6. What does the oldest Otis son say when he is told the bloodstain cannot be cleaned?
7. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
8. What does Mr. Otis do when the ghost's chains wake him up?
9. How does the ghost plan to scare Washington in his Friday plan?
10. Where do Mr. Otis and the Duke search for Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Cecil and Virginia. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear? Which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)