|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the problem with the house first noticed?
2. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
3. What do the twins do when they see the ghost sitting injured in a chair?
4. Who murdered the woman who caused the blood stain?
5. What has the ghost never failed to do before as a ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest part of the Friday night plan? Why?
2. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
3. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
4. What happens when the ghost attempts to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
5. What happens on September 19?
6. How does the Duke's uncle die?
7. How is the ghost maintaining the bloodstain in the library?
8. What does Mr. Otis think happened to Virginia when he first heard she is missing?
9. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
10. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters? How do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships? How does their inclusion in this play affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)