|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reaction people have had when seeing the ghost?
2. What happens to the sky as the Otises approach their new house?
3. For how many days does the strange thing in the library reappear?
4. What did the person most scared of the ghost do?
5. What does the family eat when they return to their house after coming to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the man who caused the bloodstain in the library?
2. What does the ghost do after Mr. Otis speaks to him for the first time?
3. What do the Otises all respond to what Mrs. Umney says when she wakes up from her faint?
4. What does Virginia do when she tears her dress?
5. What happens on September 19?
6. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
7. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
8. What does Washington do after admitting that the ghost is real?
9. What does Virginia ask to keep? How does Mr. Otis react to this request?
10. What happens when the ghost attempts to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear? Which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)