|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ghost do with the item that Mr. Otis gives him?
2. What are the names of the Otis twins?
3. What does the ghost turn into to frighten Mrs. Otis?
4. What does the family eat when they return to their house after coming to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
5. How does the ghost get hurt when the crash in the hall happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
2. What happens when the ghost attempts to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
3. What does Mrs. Otis do after admitting that the ghost is real?
4. What does Cecil do after Virginia returns and shares her story?
5. What happened to the man who caused the bloodstain in the library?
6. How does the Duke's uncle die?
7. What happens when the ghost is about to begin his plan to scare Washington on Friday?
8. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
9. Why does the ghost think he could fit inside the suit of armor in the hall?
10. What does the ghost say his existence consists of? How does Virginia respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
England and America are contrasted a few times in this book. Choose a character and write about how that character felt about America and England, and why they felt this way.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)