|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Otis told not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
2. Which of the following is NOT a reaction people have had when seeing the ghost?
3. What do the twins do when they see the ghost sitting injured in a chair?
4. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
5. How does the ghost feel after his first conversation with Mr. Otis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke's uncle die?
2. What does the ghost plan to do to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
3. What does Mrs. Otis do after she sees the cause of the crash in the hall? How does the ghost respond to this?
4. What happens when Virginia Otis wins a horse race?
5. What does the oldest Otis son say when he is told the bloodstain cannot be cleaned?
6. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
7. What pranks do the twins play on the ghost after his Friday night plan fails?
8. What does Virginia ask to keep? How does Mr. Otis react to this request?
9. What does the ghost give Virginia in exchange for helping him?
10. Why does nobody worry about Virginia when she does not come to tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters? How do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)