|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ghost go after being frightened while trying to scare Mrs. Otis?
2. How long has the ghost been dead?
3. What happens during the storm?
4. What sound wakes Mr. Otis up the first time he hears the ghost?
5. Who murdered the woman who caused the blood stain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virginia ask to keep? How does Mr. Otis react to this request?
2. What does the ghost plan to do to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
3. What do the Otises all respond to what Mrs. Umney says when she wakes up from her faint?
4. What does Mrs. Umney say when she wakes from her faint?
5. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
6. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
7. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
8. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
9. Why does Lord Canterville refuse to take the jewels that the ghost gave Virginia?
10. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme? How does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)