|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is knocked over to cause the large crash in the hall?
2. What scares the ghost when he is trying to scare Mrs. Otis?
3. Who murdered the woman who caused the blood stain?
4. What time does Mr. Otis wake up the first time he hears the ghost?
5. What does Mr. Otis ask the ghost to do when he first sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
2. What happens when the ghost is about to begin his plan to scare Washington on Friday?
3. What does the ghost plan to do to get back at the twins for the pranks they pull after the failed Friday night?
4. What does Virginia do when she tears her dress?
5. What do the twins do when they see the ghost for the first time?
6. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
7. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
8. Why does nobody worry about Virginia when she does not come to tea?
9. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
10. Where does the bloodstain in the library come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances. Compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)