|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
2. What does Mr. Otis ask the ghost to do when he first sees him?
3. What item does Mr. Otis give the ghost the first time he sees him?
4. What is Mr. Otis's oldest son good at doing?
5. What does the family eat when they return to their house after coming to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost do after Mr. Otis speaks to him for the first time?
2. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
3. What are some of the disguises the ghost has used in his haunting career?
4. What does the ghost give Virginia in exchange for helping him?
5. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
6. What does the ghost steal from Mr. Otis's room? Why?
7. What happens when the ghost tries to curse the Otis Family?
8. What does the oldest Otis son say when he is told the bloodstain cannot be cleaned?
9. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
10. What does Virginia do when she tears her dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might the author have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships? How does their inclusion in this play affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affects the characters around them.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)