|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days does the strange thing in the library reappear?
2. What does the family begin to believe after the strange thing in the library keeps reappearing?
3. What happens to the sky as the Otises approach their new house?
4. What item does Mr. Otis give the ghost the first time he sees him?
5. What does the ghost do all night after leaving the Otis family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the disguises the ghost has used in his haunting career?
2. Why is Virginia so upset when the ghost kept reapplying the bloodstain in the library?
3. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
4. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
5. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
6. What does Mrs. Umney say when she wakes from her faint?
7. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
8. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
9. How does Mr. Otis feel when Virginia is found? Why?
10. How does the ghost feel after the events of his Friday night plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Oscar Wilde. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)