|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mysterious about the blood stain that Mrs. Otis finds?
2. What kind of flooring is in the hall where the crash happened?
3. Who tells Mr. Otis not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
4. What did the person most scared of the ghost do?
5. What does Mr. Otis say he does not believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
2. What does Washington do after admitting that the ghost is real?
3. What does Mrs. Umney say when she wakes from her faint?
4. What does Cecil do after Virginia returns and shares her story?
5. What does the ghost spend his night doing after his first encounter with the Otis family?
6. What happens when Virginia Otis wins a horse race?
7. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
8. What causes Mrs. Umney to faint?
9. What happens when the ghost tries to curse the Otis Family?
10. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters? How do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book? What affect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)