|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ghost trying to do when the crash in the hall happened?
2. How does the ghost get hurt when the crash in the hall happened?
3. Where does Mr. Otis first see the ghost?
4. What has the ghost never failed to do before as a ghost?
5. Who does the item that crashed in the hall belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke's uncle die?
2. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
3. How is the ghost maintaining the bloodstain in the library?
4. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
5. How does the ghost ask Virginia to help him? Why?
6. What does the oldest Otis son say when he is told the bloodstain cannot be cleaned?
7. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
8. What does Mrs. Umney say when she wakes from her faint?
9. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
10. What does the ghost give Virginia in exchange for helping him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme? How does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Umney is a minor character in this book that made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this? How would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)