|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week is the Otis family startled by a large crash in the hall?
2. What is the name of the man who is said to have murdered the person who caused the blood stain?
3. What do the twins throw at the ghost the first time they see him?
4. What does Mr. Otis do after speaking to the ghost for the first time?
5. What is the name of Mr. Otis's oldest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost say is the hardest part about being a ghost?
2. How does the ghost plan to fulfill his duties after his Friday night plans fail?
3. What are the names of the Otis children? What does this signify?
4. What does Cecil do after Virginia returns and shares her story?
5. What does Mrs. Otis do after admitting that the ghost is real?
6. What does Mrs. Umney say when she wakes from her faint?
7. When does Virginia wear her jewels? How are they received?
8. What does the ghost steal from Mr. Otis's room? Why?
9. What is the scariest part of the Friday night plan? Why?
10. What does Mr. Otis do when the ghost's chains wake him up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in this book that are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances? How are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes? How does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear? Which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)