|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is the strange thing in the library usually found?
2. Who did the blood belong do?
3. What does the ghost do all night after leaving the Otis family?
4. What does the family eat when they return to their house after coming to a conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
5. Where does the ghost go after being frightened while trying to scare Mrs. Otis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
2. What is the scariest part of the Friday night plan? Why?
3. What does Mr. Otis think happened to Virginia when he first heard she is missing?
4. How does the ghost ask Virginia to help him? Why?
5. What happens when Virginia Otis wins a horse race?
6. What does the ghost spend his night doing after his first encounter with the Otis family?
7. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
8. What does Mrs. Otis do after admitting that the ghost is real?
9. Why is Virginia so upset when the ghost kept reapplying the bloodstain in the library?
10. How does Virginia describe what she sees when she gets to the sewing room to fix her dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might the author have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets? How does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)