|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a nickname the ghost has been given in the past?
2. Where does Mr. Otis first see the ghost?
3. Where is Mr. Otis from?
4. What is the name of Mr. Otis's only daughter?
5. How long does the storm last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Otis family talk about at dinner after they admit that the ghost is real?
2. What happens during the funeral for the ghost?
3. What does Washington do when the stain in the library keeps reappearing?
4. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
5. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
6. What pranks do the twins play on the ghost after his Friday night plan fails?
7. What happens when Virginia is found after all the efforts to search for her?
8. What does the ghost spend his night doing after his first encounter with the Otis family?
9. What do the Otises all respond to what Mrs. Umney says when she wakes up from her faint?
10. How does Mr. Otis feel when Virginia is found? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes? How does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)