|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound wakes Mr. Otis up the first time he hears the ghost?
2. Who tells Mr. Otis not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
3. Where does the ghost go after being frightened while trying to scare Mrs. Otis?
4. What strange color does the blood stain appear to be one day?
5. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Dowager Duchess and her maids see the ghost?
2. Where does the bloodstain in the library come from?
3. How is the marriage between Cecil and Virginia received?
4. Why does the ghost decide to talk to the thing that interrupts his plan to scare Washington?
5. What happens as the Otises drive up to their new house at the beginning of the book?
6. What pranks do the twins play on the ghost after his Friday night plan fails?
7. How does the ghost pan to scare Virginia in his Friday plan?
8. What does Virginia show her family when she returns to them?
9. What happens when the ghost is about to begin his plan to scare Washington on Friday?
10. What does the ghost steal from Mr. Otis's room? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
England and America are contrasted a few times in this book. Choose a character and write about how that character felt about America and England, and why they felt this way.
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Cecil and Virginia. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)