|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Otis say he will welcome to his new house?
2. What do the Otises do to try and keep the blood stain from reappearing?
3. What time of day is the strange thing in the library usually found?
4. How does the ghost get hurt when the crash in the hall happened?
5. Who does the item that crashed in the hall belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost say when Virginia reprimands him for killing his wife?
2. What does Virginia tell her husband when he asks what happened the day the ghost died?
3. How does Virginia describe what she sees when she gets to the sewing room to fix her dress?
4. Why does Mr. Otis think Lord Canterville will want the jewels given to Virginia?
5. What are some of the disguises the ghost has used in his haunting career?
6. What happened to the man who caused the bloodstain in the library?
7. What does Lord Canterville say might happen if he takes the jewels from Virginia?
8. Why does nobody worry about Virginia when she does not come to tea?
9. What does the ghost do after Mr. Otis speaks to him for the first time?
10. What happens when Virginia Otis wins a horse race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Cecil and Virginia. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might the author have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)