|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ghost dress up as on September 19th?
(a) Jack the Heartless.
(b) James the Soulless.
(c) John the Fearless.
(d) Jonas the Graveless.
2. Which of the following is NOT a sound heard before Virginia reappears?
(a) A scream.
(c) Strange music.
(d) A loud crash.
3. What does the sound after Virginia leaves with the ghost signify?
(a) A call from Mr. Otis.
(b) The jump back in time.
(c) Tea time.
(d) Virginia's death.
4. What is Virginia able to do when the ghost takes her hand?
(a) See what he sees.
(b) Walk through a wall.
(c) See into the spirit world.
(d) Understand his past.
5. Why does Mr. Otis do what he does to the pond?
(a) Virginia has been known to nap around there.
(b) Other victims have been found there.
(c) There are lots of hiding places there.
(d) Virginia may have fallen in.
6. What is Virginia holding when she is found?
(a) A small casket.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A vial of blood.
(d) An old book.
7. What does Mr. Otis think the people staying on his land have done with Virginia?
(a) Seduced her.
(b) Made her forget the time.
(c) Entertained her.
(d) Kidnapped her.
8. Who killed the ghost?
(a) His brothers-in-law.
(b) His father.
(c) His lover.
(d) His priest.
9. What does the ghost ask Virginia to do for him after showing her the prophecy?
(a) Interpret what it means.
(b) Pray for him.
(c) Weep for his sins.
(d) Listen to his story.
10. What does the ghost stop doing after his Friday plan fails?
(a) Maintaining the blood stain.
(b) Plotting out his revenge.
(c) Clanging his chains.
11. What word does the ghost use often to describe the Otis family?
12. What does the prophecy say a child has to give up to help the ghost?
13. What sound is heard after Virginia leaves with the ghost?
(a) A scream.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A chime.
(d) A bell.
14. What does the ghost say he does not have?
15. Where is there a prophecy written about the resting place for the ghost?
(a) The fireplace mantle.
(b) The family Bible.
(c) The library window.
(d) The staircase banister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets the traps for the ghost in the hall?
2. How does Virginia get to the place where she plans to fix her dress?
3. Why does Mr. Otis feel the way he does when Virginia is found?
4. Who is sent to find Virginia when she is gone longer than expected?
5. Where does the ghost plan to make a weekly appearance?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)