|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ghost stop doing after his Friday plan fails?
(a) Plotting out his revenge.
(b) Maintaining the blood stain.
(d) Clanging his chains.
2. Where does the ghost plan to make a weekly appearance?
(a) The corridor.
(b) The library.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The attic.
3. How long does the ghost prepare himself to scare someone after the tricks are played on him?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 1 hour.
4. Where is there a prophecy written about the resting place for the ghost?
(a) The family Bible.
(b) The library window.
(c) The fireplace mantle.
(d) The staircase banister.
5. How does the ghost tell Virginia he is feeling after she makes her threat?
6. Why does Mr. Otis do what he does to the pond?
(a) There are lots of hiding places there.
(b) Virginia has been known to nap around there.
(c) Other victims have been found there.
(d) Virginia may have fallen in.
7. How many gypsies stay to look for Virginia?
8. What was the Duke's Great Uncle said to be doing when he died?
(a) Playing cards with the ghost.
(b) Digging his own grave.
(d) Trying to vanquish the ghost.
9. Why is nobody concerned when they notice Virginia's absence?
(a) She usually picks flowers at that time.
(b) She often skips tea.
(c) She said she was going on a long ride.
(d) She is a capable girl.
10. How long does the ghost stay in his room after his Friday plan fails?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 4 days.
11. What does the prophecy say a child has to give up to help the ghost?
12. What does the ghost say he does not have?
13. What does the ghost tell Virginia he would not like?
(c) The country.
14. What does the family decide to do when they cannot find Virginia?
(a) Contact the authorities.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Search all night.
(d) Hold a prayer.
15. Where is the first place outside of his property that Mr. Otis looks for Virginia?
(a) A neighboring farm.
(b) A gypsy village.
(c) The tavern.
(d) The railway station.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke call Virginia after she tells her story?
2. What does the ghost step in on the stairs?
3. What does Mr. Otis have done to the pond?
4. Why does Mr. Otis feel the way he does when Virginia is found?
5. What word does the ghost use often to describe the Otis family?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)