|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound wakes Mr. Otis up the first time he hears the ghost?
(a) Clanging metal.
(c) Maniacal laughing.
(d) Scratches on wood.
2. How does the ghost get hurt when the crash in the hall happened?
(a) He bruises his knees.
(b) He sprains his ankle.
(c) He twists his shoulder.
(d) He cuts his leg.
3. Which of the following is NOT a reaction people have had when seeing the ghost?
(a) Having fits.
(b) Running out of the house.
(d) Falling down stairs.
4. What does the family begin to believe after the strange thing in the library keeps reappearing?
(a) There might be a ghost.
(b) Mrs. Umney is playing a trick on them.
(c) There is a hole in the roof.
(d) The postman is delivering mail to the wrong place.
5. What kind of flooring is in the hall where the crash happened?
6. What happens to the sky as the Otises approach their new house?
(a) It is filled with billowing clouds.
(b) It pours rain in one spot.
(c) It becomes dark.
(d) It brightens up.
7. Why is Mr. Otis told not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
(a) It is haunted.
(b) It is small and old.
(c) It is far from town.
(d) It is too expensive.
8. What does the ghost plan to put on Mrs. Otis's head on Friday?
(a) A clammy hand.
(b) His wife's heart.
(c) His pistol.
(d) A live snake.
9. What does the ghost plan to do in front of Washington on Friday?
(a) Laugh menacingly.
(b) Stab himself 3 times.
(c) Change his shape.
(d) Sing a song.
10. Who tells Mr. Otis not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(c) His parents.
(d) His friends.
11. What is the only thing the ghost leaves his room for in the few days after the crash in the hall?
(a) The sunrise.
(b) The sunset.
(c) The bloodstain.
(d) The storm.
12. Where is Mr. Otis from?
13. What was the occupation of the person who was most afraid after seeing the ghost?
14. What does the ghost do all night after leaving the Otis family?
(a) Plots his revenge.
(b) Lubricates his chains.
(c) Fixes the window.
(d) Paints a picture.
15. Who murdered the woman who caused the blood stain?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
2. What strange color does the blood stain appear to be one day?
3. What word does the author use to describe how the ghost looks?
4. What item does Mr. Otis give the ghost the first time he sees him?
5. What does Mr. Otis say he will do if the chains wake him up again?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)