|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Otis's daughter doing when she is proposed to?
(b) Horse racing.
(c) Walking through her garden.
(d) Reciting a poem.
2. Where does Mr. Otis first see the ghost?
(a) In the tub.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the library.
(d) Outside his bedroom.
3. What is found in the library after the storm?
(a) The blood stain.
(b) A new picture.
(c) A dead crow.
(d) A death certificate.
4. How old is Mr. Otis's daughter?
5. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
(a) The Earl of Eastlake.
(b) The Duke of Cheshire.
(c) The Duke of Edrington.
(d) The Earl of Westmore.
6. What sound wakes Mr. Otis up the first time he hears the ghost?
(a) Maniacal laughing.
(c) Clanging metal.
(d) Scratches on wood.
7. What is Mr. Otis's oldest son good at doing?
8. What word does Mr. Otis use to describe his twin boys?
(d) Well behaved.
9. What does Mr. Otis say he will do if the chains wake him up again?
(a) Lubricate them himself.
(b) Throw them away.
(c) Take them away.
(d) Replace them with new ones.
10. What do the Otises do to try and keep the blood stain from reappearing?
(a) Clean the stain.
(b) Put a rug over the stain.
(c) Keep the ghost busy.
(d) Lock the library.
11. Why is Mr. Otis told not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
(a) It is small and old.
(b) It is haunted.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) It is far from town.
12. What does the Otis family do after they come to a strange conclusion about the strange thing in the library?
(a) They go for a drive.
(b) They hire a new housekeeper.
(c) They go to church.
(d) They go for a walk.
13. What do the twins throw at the ghost the first time they see him?
(b) A pillow.
14. What does the owner's grand-aunt see in the house that frightens her?
(a) A strange reflection.
(b) A ghost in chains.
(c) Two skeleton hands.
(d) Rivers of blood.
15. Who finds the strange thing in the library after the storm?
(b) Mrs. Otis.
(d) Mrs. Umney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing the ghost leaves his room for in the few days after the crash in the hall?
2. What does the family begin to believe after the strange thing in the library keeps reappearing?
3. What is the name of Mr. Otis's only daughter?
4. Who tells Mr. Otis not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
5. What does the ghost do with the item that Mr. Otis gives him?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)