|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposes to Mr. Otis's daughter?
(a) The Earl of Westmore.
(b) The Earl of Eastlake.
(c) The Duke of Edrington.
(d) The Duke of Cheshire.
2. What is the name of the house that Mr. Otis buys at the beginning of the book?
(a) Castlewood Cross.
(b) Canterville Chase.
(c) Cranburshire Cove.
(d) Canterbury Castle.
3. What do the twins throw at the ghost the first time they see him?
(d) A pillow.
4. How does the ghost get hurt when the crash in the hall happened?
(a) He bruises his knees.
(b) He cuts his leg.
(c) He twists his shoulder.
(d) He sprains his ankle.
5. What does Mr. Otis say he will do if the chains wake him up again?
(a) Throw them away.
(b) Take them away.
(c) Lubricate them himself.
(d) Replace them with new ones.
6. Why is Mr. Otis told not to buy the house at the beginning of the book?
(a) It is small and old.
(b) It is far from town.
(c) It is haunted.
(d) It is too expensive.
7. Which of the following is NOT a nickname the ghost has been given in the past?
(a) Gaunt Gibeon.
(b) Maroon Marauder.
(c) The Blood Sucker of Bexley Moore.
(d) Red Reubon.
8. For how many days does the strange thing in the library reappear?
9. What does the family begin to believe after the strange thing in the library keeps reappearing?
(a) There might be a ghost.
(b) There is a hole in the roof.
(c) The postman is delivering mail to the wrong place.
(d) Mrs. Umney is playing a trick on them.
10. Why does Mrs. Otis try to give the ghost a tincture?
(a) She knows he will like the taste.
(b) She read that he liked it when he was alive.
(c) She knows it will make him quieter.
(d) She thinks he is sick.
11. How long does the storm last?
(a) 2 days.
(b) All night.
(c) 1 week.
(d) A few hours.
12. What does Mr. Otis say about the twins throwing pillows at the ghost?
(a) It is a natural reaction.
(b) It is unneccessary.
(c) It is funny.
(d) It is rude.
13. What does Mr. Otis do after speaking to the ghost for the first time?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(c) Reads a book.
14. Where is Mr. Otis from?
15. What does the ghost plan to put on Mrs. Otis's head on Friday?
(a) His pistol.
(b) A clammy hand.
(c) A live snake.
(d) His wife's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ghost sleep?
2. How does Mr. Otis describe his wife?
3. What was the occupation of the person who was most afraid after seeing the ghost?
4. How does the ghost feel after his first conversation with Mr. Otis?
5. What happens to the sky as the Otises approach their new house?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)