|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
2. What type of hat does Henri the Painter wear?
3. Where does Doc stop for his first square meal?
4. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
5. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
2. Describe Mary Talbot.
3. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
4. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
5. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
6. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
7. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
8. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
9. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
10. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cannery Row is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Doc think Mack is a genius and the boys are all clever? Is this opinion shared by the other residents of Cannery Row? What does Richard Frost think of Mack and the boys? Is his opinion justified? Which position to you take on Mack and the boys? Why?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)