|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
2. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
3. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
4. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
5. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
2. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
3. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
4. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
5. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
6. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
7. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
8. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
9. Describe Mary Talbot.
10. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Cannery Row? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Cannery Row establishments. In the characters. In the events.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Doc think Mack is a genius and the boys are all clever? Is this opinion shared by the other residents of Cannery Row? What does Richard Frost think of Mack and the boys? Is his opinion justified? Which position to you take on Mack and the boys? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Frankie is an ill-fated character in the book. What is Frankie's role in the story? Why does Steinbeck interject him into the plot? What does he come to represent for Doc, especially? Are you surprised by Frankie's ultimate fate?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)