|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
2. What does Mack sense about Doc?
3. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
4. What does Doc think about the boys?
5. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
3. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
4. How does Mack perceive Doc?
5. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
6. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
7. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
8. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
9. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
10. Describe Mary Talbot.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mack and the boys are a band of homeless men who live together in a warehouse they name the Palace Flophouse. Why do Mack and the boys become like a family after a while? How do they exhibit behaviors inherent in families? What lessons is Steinbeck trying to teach about the various ways that families can be created, outside of the obvious biological combinations?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
Essay Topic 3
Even though Doc is a marine biologist, he tends to the needs of people and animals on Cannery Row, too. Name some examples of Doc's care toward people. How does he help animals? How does he rally the town's residents to help each other when widespread influenza hits?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)