|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
3. What fib does Doc make up about his walking trip?
4. Through what time of day does Doc work gathering his gear?
5. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
2. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
3. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
4. Describe Mary Talbot.
5. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
6. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
7. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
8. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
9. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
10. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 2
What does Doc discover about truth on his walking trip from Indiana to Florida during his college days? Why do you think people do not want to believe Doc's real reasons for walking? Why does Doc need to fabricate a story about his journey? Why does Steinbeck call truth a dangerous mistress?
Essay Topic 3
Frankie is an ill-fated character in the book. What is Frankie's role in the story? Why does Steinbeck interject him into the plot? What does he come to represent for Doc, especially? Are you surprised by Frankie's ultimate fate?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)