|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
2. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
3. How is Cannery Row described in Chapter 14?
4. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
5. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
2. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
3. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
4. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
5. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
6. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
7. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
8. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
9. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
10. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dora Flood. What is her role on Cannery Row? Why does Steinbeck say she is loved by the intelligent, the learned, and the kind? Why is she hated by "married spinsters," whose husbands are attracted to the whore house? Is Dora the classic whore with a heart of gold?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Doc think Mack is a genius and the boys are all clever? Is this opinion shared by the other residents of Cannery Row? What does Richard Frost think of Mack and the boys? Is his opinion justified? Which position to you take on Mack and the boys? Why?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)