|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
2. What illness breaks out in all of Monterey?
3. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
4. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
5. What is the captain's wife always doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
2. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
3. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
4. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
5. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
6. How does Mack perceive Doc?
7. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
8. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
9. Describe Mary Talbot.
10. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lee Chong. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure on Cannery Row? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 3
The Model T Ford has importance in the story for the frog-catching expedition of Mack and the boys. What does the car symbolize for Mack and the boys? For its owner, Lee? What significance does Steinbeck say the Model T has on American culture for the past two generations?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)