|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do each of the boys carry to the frog hunt?
2. Where does Henri the Painter live in actuality?
3. What does Doc collect near the sea?
4. How many times has Henri the Painter been married?
5. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
2. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
3. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
4. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
5. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
6. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
7. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
8. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
9. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
10. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mack and the boys are a band of homeless men who live together in a warehouse they name the Palace Flophouse. Why do Mack and the boys become like a family after a while? How do they exhibit behaviors inherent in families? What lessons is Steinbeck trying to teach about the various ways that families can be created, outside of the obvious biological combinations?
Essay Topic 2
Although the residents of Cannery Row live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Cannery Row that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Cannery Row residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Cannery Row residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 3
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)