|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
2. What does the captain carry to the frog hunt?
3. What does Doc order in Ventura?
4. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
5. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
3. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
4. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
5. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
6. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
7. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
8. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
9. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
10. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Cannery Row. Now, describe Monterey, using only your recall of Steinbeck's descriptions. How do you visualize the California coast now that you have read Steinbeck's descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dora Flood. What is her role on Cannery Row? Why does Steinbeck say she is loved by the intelligent, the learned, and the kind? Why is she hated by "married spinsters," whose husbands are attracted to the whore house? Is Dora the classic whore with a heart of gold?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)