|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds afternoon tea parties for cats?
2. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
3. How do people treat Doc after he tells his fib?
4. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
5. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
3. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
4. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
5. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
6. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
7. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
8. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
9. How does Mack perceive Doc?
10. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Cannery Row. Now, describe Monterey, using only your recall of Steinbeck's descriptions. How do you visualize the California coast now that you have read Steinbeck's descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
The Model T Ford has importance in the story for the frog-catching expedition of Mack and the boys. What does the car symbolize for Mack and the boys? For its owner, Lee? What significance does Steinbeck say the Model T has on American culture for the past two generations?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)