|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
3. What is the captain's wife always doing?
4. What kind of dog does the watchman have?
5. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
2. How does Mack perceive Doc?
3. Describe Mary Talbot.
4. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
5. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
6. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
7. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
8. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
9. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
10. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Model T Ford has importance in the story for the frog-catching expedition of Mack and the boys. What does the car symbolize for Mack and the boys? For its owner, Lee? What significance does Steinbeck say the Model T has on American culture for the past two generations?
Essay Topic 2
Frankie is an ill-fated character in the book. What is Frankie's role in the story? Why does Steinbeck interject him into the plot? What does he come to represent for Doc, especially? Are you surprised by Frankie's ultimate fate?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck populates Cannery Row with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)