|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
2. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
3. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
4. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
5. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
2. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
3. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
4. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
5. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
6. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
7. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
8. Describe Mary Talbot.
9. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
10. How does Mack perceive Doc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lee Chong. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure on Cannery Row? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Cannery Row is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the Chinaman who runs back and forth from Cannery Row each morning and evening? Does the Chinaman represent Death? Does he represent God, or does he represent the burgeoning Asian population in this party of the country? Explain your position.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)