|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the child who sees something mysterious in the old Chinaman's eyes?
2. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
3. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
4. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
5. What is the business of Western Biological Laboratories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
2. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
3. Why is Doc leery of Mack's request for money?
4. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
5. Describe Dora Flood.
6. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
7. What is Gay's special talent?
8. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
9. Describe Hazel.
10. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 2
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)