|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
2. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
3. Why does Frankie not attend school?
4. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
5. Where do the boys stop to get their frogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
2. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
3. How does Lee acquire another building?
4. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
5. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
6. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
7. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
8. Describe Hazel.
9. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
10. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Chinaman who runs back and forth from Cannery Row each morning and evening? Does the Chinaman represent Death? Does he represent God, or does he represent the burgeoning Asian population in this party of the country? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)