|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack want to do?
2. Who is the leader of a small group of homeless men?
3. What do the boys hit in Lee's car?
4. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
5. How much does Lee ask for the building's rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tong Wars?
2. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
3. How does Lee acquire another building?
4. Describe Lee Chong's business.
5. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
6. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
7. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
8. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
9. What is Gay's special talent?
10. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 2
Cannery Row is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)