|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is employed at Dora's business?
2. What is the business of Western Biological Laboratories?
3. What are Mack and his boys considered to be in Monterey?
4. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
5. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
2. Describe Lee Chong's business.
3. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
4. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
5. Describe Hazel.
6. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
7. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
8. Why does Mack has a twinge of guilt about the frog mission?
9. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
10. How doe Mack's wits keep the boys out of trouble when they are approached by a large man with a pointer dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, the residents of Cannery Row become one big family. Describe the elements necessary to comprise a family. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is dysfunctional. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is quite normal.
Essay Topic 2
Cannery Row is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck clearly likes to have fun with his readers. Name some examples of humor in this book. Which characters are especially prone to humorous behavior? Which are not? Why does Steinbeck use humor? Is he trying to balance somber stories, or does he just find life to be funny most of the time, at least in this story?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)