|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
2. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
4. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
5. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
2. Describe Lee Chong's business.
3. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
4. What is Gay's special talent?
5. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
6. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
7. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
8. How does Lee acquire another building?
9. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
10. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lee Chong. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure on Cannery Row? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Chinaman who runs back and forth from Cannery Row each morning and evening? Does the Chinaman represent Death? Does he represent God, or does he represent the burgeoning Asian population in this party of the country? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
Mack and the boys are a band of homeless men who live together in a warehouse they name the Palace Flophouse. Why do Mack and the boys become like a family after a while? How do they exhibit behaviors inherent in families? What lessons is Steinbeck trying to teach about the various ways that families can be created, outside of the obvious biological combinations?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)