|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mack and his boys considered to be in Monterey?
2. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
3. What is the one fear of the answer to #33?
4. Why does Gay's wife no longer swear out warrants against him?
5. Why do Mack and the boys have to avoid the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
2. How does Lee acquire another building?
3. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
4. What are Tong Wars?
5. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
6. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
7. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
8. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
9. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
10. What is Gay's special talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Doc discover about truth on his walking trip from Indiana to Florida during his college days? Why do you think people do not want to believe Doc's real reasons for walking? Why does Doc need to fabricate a story about his journey? Why does Steinbeck call truth a dangerous mistress?
Essay Topic 2
Although the residents of Cannery Row live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Cannery Row that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Cannery Row residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Cannery Row residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 3
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)