|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dora's business located?
2. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
3. How long does it take eleven-year-old Frankie to enter Doc's lab and speak to Doc?
4. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
5. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
2. Describe Hazel.
3. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
4. Describe Lee Chong's business.
5. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
6. What are Tong Wars?
7. How doe Mack's wits keep the boys out of trouble when they are approached by a large man with a pointer dog?
8. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
9. Why does Mack has a twinge of guilt about the frog mission?
10. Describe Dora Flood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Model T Ford has importance in the story for the frog-catching expedition of Mack and the boys. What does the car symbolize for Mack and the boys? For its owner, Lee? What significance does Steinbeck say the Model T has on American culture for the past two generations?
Essay Topic 2
Mack and the boys are a band of homeless men who live together in a warehouse they name the Palace Flophouse. Why do Mack and the boys become like a family after a while? How do they exhibit behaviors inherent in families? What lessons is Steinbeck trying to teach about the various ways that families can be created, outside of the obvious biological combinations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dora Flood. What is her role on Cannery Row? Why does Steinbeck say she is loved by the intelligent, the learned, and the kind? Why is she hated by "married spinsters," whose husbands are attracted to the whore house? Is Dora the classic whore with a heart of gold?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)