|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
2. What happens after the conclusion of the deal?
3. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
4. Who has given Mack and his boys the ability to survive?
5. Why does Lee make the decision he does about the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
2. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
3. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
4. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
5. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
6. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
7. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
8. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
9. Describe Dora Flood.
10. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Doc think Mack is a genius and the boys are all clever? Is this opinion shared by the other residents of Cannery Row? What does Richard Frost think of Mack and the boys? Is his opinion justified? Which position to you take on Mack and the boys? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Cannery Row is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)