|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lee make the decision he does about the building?
2. What does Mack tell doc?
3. What type of car does Lee have?
4. Who is the owner and operator of Western Biological Laboratories?
5. Where is Western Biological Laboratories located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dora Flood.
2. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
3. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
4. Why is Doc leery of Mack's request for money?
5. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
6. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
7. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. How does Lee acquire another building?
10. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Cannery Row. Now, describe Monterey, using only your recall of Steinbeck's descriptions. How do you visualize the California coast now that you have read Steinbeck's descriptions?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)