|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Doc's last name?
2. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
3. Who is the leader of a small group of homeless men?
4. Where is Dora's business located?
5. Where do Mack and the boys sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
2. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
3. What is Gay's special talent?
4. Why does Mack has a twinge of guilt about the frog mission?
5. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
6. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
7. What are Tong Wars?
8. It would be impractical to use the building to store groceries, so what does Lee do with the building?
9. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
10. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck clearly likes to have fun with his readers. Name some examples of humor in this book. Which characters are especially prone to humorous behavior? Which are not? Why does Steinbeck use humor? Is he trying to balance somber stories, or does he just find life to be funny most of the time, at least in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Overall, the residents of Cannery Row become one big family. Describe the elements necessary to comprise a family. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is dysfunctional. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is quite normal.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)