|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mack and the boys call their new residence?
2. What is the name of the old Chinaman who walks through Cannery Row every day?
3. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
4. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
5. How long has Dora been in business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
2. Why does the party bring trouble for Frankie?
3. Describe Dora Flood.
4. How does Steinbeck build suspense in the hours leading up to Doc's party?
5. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
6. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
7. What is Gay's special talent?
8. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
9. What are Tong Wars?
10. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the residents of Cannery Row live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Cannery Row that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Cannery Row residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Cannery Row residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Doc is a marine biologist, he tends to the needs of people and animals on Cannery Row, too. Name some examples of Doc's care toward people. How does he help animals? How does he rally the town's residents to help each other when widespread influenza hits?
Essay Topic 3
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Cannery Row? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Cannery Row establishments. In the characters. In the events.
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)