Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
2. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
4. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
5. What happens to the boiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frankie say that unnerves Doc?
2. Describe Mary Talbot.
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
5. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
6. Describe Lee Chong's business.
7. How does Doc learn of the party being thrown in his honor?
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. Why is Doc happy in spite of the desolation in his lab the morning after the party?
10. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Chinaman who runs back and forth from Cannery Row each morning and evening? Does the Chinaman represent Death? Does he represent God, or does he represent the burgeoning Asian population in this party of the country? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
Frankie is an ill-fated character in the book. What is Frankie's role in the story? Why does Steinbeck interject him into the plot? What does he come to represent for Doc, especially? Are you surprised by Frankie's ultimate fate?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck populates Cannery Row with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)