Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
2. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
4. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
5. What happens to the boiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frankie say that unnerves Doc?
2. Describe Mary Talbot.
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
5. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
6. Describe Lee Chong's business.
7. How does Doc learn of the party being thrown in his honor?
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. Why is Doc happy in spite of the desolation in his lab the morning after the party?
10. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck populates Cannery Row with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Doc is a marine biologist, he tends to the needs of people and animals on Cannery Row, too. Name some examples of Doc's care toward people. How does he help animals? How does he rally the town's residents to help each other when widespread influenza hits?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)