|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
2. What happens after the conclusion of the deal?
3. Where do the boys stop to get their frogs?
4. What are Mack and his boys considered to be in Monterey?
5. With whom does Frankie live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
2. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
3. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
4. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
5. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
6. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
7. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
8. What is Gay's special talent?
9. What are Tong Wars?
10. Why is Doc leery of Mack's request for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 3
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Cannery Row? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Cannery Row establishments. In the characters. In the events.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)