|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
2. What are Mack and his boys considered to be in Monterey?
3. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
4. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
5. Who is the leader of a small group of homeless men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tong Wars?
2. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
3. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
4. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
5. Why is Doc leery of Mack's request for money?
6. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
7. How does Lee acquire another building?
8. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
9. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
10. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Doc. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Doc's role on Cannery Row? What is it about Doc that everybody wants to do something nice for him?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 3
Mack and the boys are a band of homeless men who live together in a warehouse they name the Palace Flophouse. Why do Mack and the boys become like a family after a while? How do they exhibit behaviors inherent in families? What lessons is Steinbeck trying to teach about the various ways that families can be created, outside of the obvious biological combinations?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)