|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a businessman, Lee is __________________________.
2. Why does Gay's wife no longer swear out warrants against him?
3. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
4. How much does Lee ask for the building's rent?
5. How did Lee acquire the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hazel.
2. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
3. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
4. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
5. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
6. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
7. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
8. Describe Dora Flood.
9. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
10. What is Gay's special talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Cannery Row? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Cannery Row establishments. In the characters. In the events.
Essay Topic 2
Mack and the boys are forced to be very resourceful. Give some examples of behaviors exhibited by Mack and the boys that indicate they know how to get what they need in spite of their obvious lack of typical resources. Would you say Mack and the boys are creative? Or do they simply use people to avoid work? Do you think you could be friends with Mack and the boys? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck populates Cannery Row with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)