|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
2. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
4. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
5. What happens to the boiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frankie say that unnerves Doc?
2. Describe Mary Talbot.
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
5. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
6. Describe Lee Chong's business.
7. How does Doc learn of the party being thrown in his honor?
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. Why is Doc happy in spite of the desolation in his lab the morning after the party?
10. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the dead girl that Doc finds floating in the water. Why does Doc's head fill with the escalating sounds of music when he sees her? Why does Doc let the stranger claim the reward for reporting the body? Why does Doc, who is usually very responsible, get away from the scene as quickly as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck populates Cannery Row with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
Essay Topic 3
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Cannery Row? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Cannery Row establishments. In the characters. In the events.
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)