Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
2. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
4. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
5. What happens to the boiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frankie say that unnerves Doc?
2. Describe Mary Talbot.
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
5. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
6. Describe Lee Chong's business.
7. How does Doc learn of the party being thrown in his honor?
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. Why is Doc happy in spite of the desolation in his lab the morning after the party?
10. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
Steinbeck uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Cannery Row. Now, describe Monterey, using only your recall of Steinbeck's descriptions. How do you visualize the California coast now that you have read Steinbeck's descriptions?
Why does Doc think Mack is a genius and the boys are all clever? Is this opinion shared by the other residents of Cannery Row? What does Richard Frost think of Mack and the boys? Is his opinion justified? Which position to you take on Mack and the boys? Why?
Overall, the residents of Cannery Row become one big family. Describe the elements necessary to comprise a family. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is dysfunctional. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is quite normal.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)