|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dora's business located?
2. What does Mack tell doc?
3. What job does Doc assign to Mack?
4. What does Frankie eventually do for Doc?
5. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
2. Why does the party bring trouble for Frankie?
3. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
4. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
5. How doe Mack's wits keep the boys out of trouble when they are approached by a large man with a pointer dog?
6. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
7. Describe the planning for Doc's next party.
8. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
9. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
10. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, the residents of Cannery Row become one big family. Describe the elements necessary to comprise a family. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is dysfunctional. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is quite normal.
Essay Topic 2
Although the residents of Cannery Row live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Cannery Row that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Cannery Row residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Cannery Row residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Lee Chong. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure on Cannery Row? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)