|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
2. How much rent money comes in to Lee?
3. What type of business does Lee Chong own?
4. What do the boys hit in Lee's car?
5. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
2. Describe Lee Chong's business.
3. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
4. What is Gay's special talent?
5. Explain the relationship between Doc and Frankie.
6. How does Lee acquire another building?
7. Describe the Bear Flag Restaurant.
8. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
9. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
10. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck mentions "the hour of the pearl" several times in the novel. How else could he have described this fleeting time in the mornings? What name would you give to the California sunsets? What is the significance of "the hour of the pearl" in relation to Doc?
Essay Topic 2
The Model T Ford has importance in the story for the frog-catching expedition of Mack and the boys. What does the car symbolize for Mack and the boys? For its owner, Lee? What significance does Steinbeck say the Model T has on American culture for the past two generations?
Essay Topic 3
Overall, the residents of Cannery Row become one big family. Describe the elements necessary to comprise a family. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is dysfunctional. Explain some of the ways that the Cannery Row family is quite normal.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)