|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness breaks out in all of Monterey?
(c) Chicken Pox
2. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
3. Who holds afternoon tea parties for cats?
(a) Dora Flood
(c) Mary Talbot
4. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
(a) His real name is Henry.
(b) He is a house painter.
(c) He is of Irish descent.
(d) He is neither French nor a painter.
5. What are Mack and the boys known as now?
(a) Religious zealots
(b) The life of the party
(d) Social outcasts
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when Chapter 14 opens?
2. What kind of dog does the watchman have?
3. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
4. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
5. What is the captain's wife always doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
2. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
3. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
4. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
5. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
6. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
7. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
8. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
9. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
10. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)