|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc order in Ventura?
(a) Fish potpie
(b) A beer milkshake
(c) An orange coffee
(d) A banana sandwich
2. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
(a) Henri never has any money
(b) They get seasick
(c) Henri wants to paint them
(d) The boat's tight quarters and lack of a toilet
3. What do each of the boys carry to the frog hunt?
(a) A net
(b) A bucket
(c) A glass of whiskey and a flashlight
(d) A bottle of beer
4. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
(a) Colored pebbles and chicken feathers
(b) Pennies and nickels
(c) Colored chicken feathers and nutshells
(d) Bottle caps and nutshells
5. What does the captain carry to the frog hunt?
(a) A gun
(b) A pitcher of whiskey
(c) A flashlight
(d) A net
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mack and the boys now buy their groceries instead of going to Lee's?
2. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
3. What does Mack sense about Doc?
4. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
5. What does the flagpole sitter complain of on his second day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
2. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
3. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
4. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
5. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
6. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
7. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
8. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
9. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
10. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)