|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Doc's real birthday?
(a) July 24
(b) December 18
(c) June 20
(d) May 5
2. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
(a) Willard and Jimmy
(b) Willard and Joey
(c) William and Joey
(d) Willie and Jesus
3. What happens when the boys approach the frog pool?
(a) It starts to rain.
(b) The frogs grow silent.
(c) It gets really foggy.
(d) Mack falls in the mud.
4. Where does Doc stop for his first square meal?
(a) San Diego
(b) Santa Barbara
(c) Santa Cruz
(d) San Jose
5. On what do Doc and Frost place a bet?
(a) A case of whiskey
(b) A parade
(c) A tank full of gas
(d) A keg of beer
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc view Mack?
2. What date does Doc give Mack as his birthday?
3. What does the captain lament about the pups?
4. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
5. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack perceive Doc?
2. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
3. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
4. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
5. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
6. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
7. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
8. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
9. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
10. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)