|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Doc go to college?
(a) Columbia University
(b) Georgia Tech
(c) The University of Chicago
(d) Ohio State University
2. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
(a) A ham sandwich
(b) A hamburger and a beer
(c) Steak and eggs
(d) Fish and chips
3. What does the flagpole sitter complain of on his second day?
(a) He needs some sunscreen.
(b) He would like a radio.
(c) Someone is shooting at him with an air rifle.
(d) He really needs to lie down.
4. What does Doc know very well?
(a) The Bible
(b) The mountains
(c) The seacoast
5. What are there few of afoot in the early hours of Cannery Row?
(b) human beings
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the couples go?
2. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
3. What time does Doc reach La Jolla?
4. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
5. Who holds afternoon tea parties for cats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
2. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
3. Describe Mary Talbot.
4. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
5. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
6. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
7. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
8. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
9. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
10. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)