|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds afternoon tea parties for cats?
(a) Dora Flood
(c) Mary Talbot
2. Where do the couples go?
(a) To a beach
(b) To dinner
(c) To breakfast
(d) To a movie
3. What date does Doc give Mack as his birthday?
(a) October 27
(b) June 25
(c) September 14
(d) October 24
4. What does doc find when he wades into the water and parts the mass of algae?
(a) The wreckage of a ship
(b) The face of a beautiful dead girl
(c) A dolphin
(d) Trapped pelicans
5. What are there few of afoot in the early hours of Cannery Row?
(c) human beings
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
2. What does Mack plan to do once again?
3. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
4. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
5. What does Doc order in Ventura?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
2. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
3. How does Mack perceive Doc?
4. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
5. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
6. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
7. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
8. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
9. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
10. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)