|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
(a) Treating the dog
(b) Taking a nap
(c) Drinking a beer
(d) Eating his lunch
2. What is Doc's real birthday?
(a) December 18
(b) May 5
(c) June 20
(d) July 24
3. What does Doc order in Ventura?
(a) An orange coffee
(b) A beer milkshake
(c) Fish potpie
(d) A banana sandwich
4. Why does Mack turn down the captain's first offer of a drink?
(a) Mack is trying to quit drinking.
(b) It is too early to drink.
(c) Mack is a recovering alcoholic.
(d) The frog hunt is a scientific expedition.
5. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
(a) The flagpole sitter
(b) The new Santa hired for the Christmas season
(c) The Labor Day White Sale
(d) The circus animals in the parking lot
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people treat Doc after he tells his fib?
2. Where do Mack and the boys now buy their groceries instead of going to Lee's?
3. What does Doc do after his meal?
4. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
5. What does Doc know very well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack perceive Doc?
2. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
3. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
4. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
5. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
6. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
7. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
8. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
9. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
10. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)