|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack sense about Doc?
(a) That Doc will be leaving town soon.
(b) That Doc is a lonely man.
(c) That Doc is very ill.
(d) That Doc has a big secret.
2. Who is the only person in town who has the nerve to ask the flagpole sitter how he goes to the toilet?
(a) Dora Flood
(b) Lee Chong
(c) Richard Frost
3. How is Cannery Row described in Chapter 14?
(a) Hectic and chaotic
(b) A war zone
(c) Peaceful and magical
(d) Boring and dull
4. What takes over on Cannery Row?
5. What does Doc know very well?
(a) The mountains
(c) The seacoast
(d) The Bible
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the couples go?
2. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
3. Who holds afternoon tea parties for cats?
4. How many times has Henri the Painter been married?
5. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
2. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
3. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
4. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
6. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
7. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
8. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
9. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
10. How does Mack perceive Doc?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)