|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
(a) Hazel and Hughie are updating the birthday card list
(b) Hazel and Eddie are studying numerology
(c) He and Hazel are making a birthday reminder calendar
(d) Hazel and Hughie are studying astrology
2. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
3. What are Mack and the boys known as now?
(a) Religious zealots
(b) The life of the party
(d) Social outcasts
4. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
(a) The boat's tight quarters and lack of a toilet
(b) Henri wants to paint them
(c) They get seasick
(d) Henri never has any money
5. What does doc find when he wades into the water and parts the mass of algae?
(a) The face of a beautiful dead girl
(b) A dolphin
(c) Trapped pelicans
(d) The wreckage of a ship
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
2. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
3. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
4. How is Cannery Row described in Chapter 14?
5. What does Doc know very well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
2. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
3. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
4. How does Mack perceive Doc?
5. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
6. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
7. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
8. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
9. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
10. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)