|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of hat does Henri the Painter wear?
(a) Top Hat
(c) Cowboy Hat
2. What is Doc's driving style?
(a) He swerves back and forth looking out toward the sea.
(b) He speeds to get to the sea as quickly as possible.
(c) He slows down, then speeds up erratically.
(d) He drives slowly and stops often.
3. How deep is the frog pool?
(a) eight feet
(b) fourteen feet
(c) four feet
(d) ten feet
4. What does doc find when he wades into the water and parts the mass of algae?
(a) A dolphin
(b) The face of a beautiful dead girl
(c) The wreckage of a ship
(d) Trapped pelicans
5. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack sense about Doc?
2. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
3. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
4. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
5. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
2. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
3. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
4. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
5. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
6. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
7. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
8. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
9. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
10. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)