|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries the gunnysacks?
(a) Jones and Mack
(b) Eddie and Hazel
(c) Hughie and Mack
(d) Hughie and Jones
2. What has enthralled Henri the Painter?
(a) Watching a flagpole sitter/skater
(b) A new girl at the Bear Flag
(c) His new fishing pole
(d) His new car
3. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
(a) Food for the pups
(b) Bottles of beer
(c) Sleeping cots
(d) A keg of Prohibition-vintage corn whiskey
4. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
(a) one hundred
(b) three to four hundred
(c) nine hundred and fifty
(d) six to seven hundred
5. What is Mack's method of catching the frogs?
(a) He and the boys wade into the water shouting.
(b) He uses big nets in the water.
(c) He waits until daylight when the frogs are easier to see.
(d) He outwaits the frogs and catches them when they jump.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
2. How does Doc view Mack?
3. What does Doc think about the boys?
4. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
5. What does Doc know very well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
2. How does Mack perceive Doc?
3. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
4. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
5. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
6. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
7. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
8. Describe Mary Talbot.
9. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
10. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)