|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
(a) Two soldiers
(b) Their blind dates
(c) Their boyfriends
(d) Their cousins
2. Where did Doc once take a walking trip?
(a) Indiana to Florida
(b) New York to Maryland
(c) Georgia to Louisiana
(d) Ohio to Vermont
3. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
(a) Tries to cook breakfast
(b) Fills a jug for Mack
(c) Talks about his wife
(d) Invites the boys to live with him
4. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
(a) No one wants bird dogs anymore.
(b) He is moving and has to find them homes.
(c) He doesn't have time to take care of pups.
(d) Their food is costing too much.
5. What takes over on Cannery Row?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack sense about Doc?
2. Where does Doc stop for his first square meal?
3. What does Doc know very well?
4. What is the captain's wife always doing?
5. Who carries the gunnysacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
2. What are some of the morning rituals on Cannery Row?
3. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
4. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
5. Describe Mary Talbot.
6. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
7. What is the significance of the flagpole sitter at Holman's Department Store?
8. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
9. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
10. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)