|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes over on Cannery Row?
2. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
(a) A hamburger and a beer
(b) Steak and eggs
(c) Fish and chips
(d) A ham sandwich
3. What illness breaks out in all of Monterey?
(b) Chicken Pox
4. How do people treat Doc after he tells his fib?
(a) They follow him on his trip.
(b) They shun him.
(c) They want to take his picture.
(d) They invite him to dinner and take him in.
5. What is the captain's wife always doing?
(a) Giving speeches or writing bills
(b) Gabbing on the phone
(c) Going shopping
(d) Trying new recipes
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major problem of Doc's job?
2. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
3. What does the captain carry to the frog hunt?
4. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
5. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
2. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
3. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
4. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
5. How does Mack know that the captain's wife would disapprove of Mack and the boys?
6. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
7. How do Mack and the boys react to ruining Doc's party?
8. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
9. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
10. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)