|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries the gunnysacks?
(a) Jones and Mack
(b) Hughie and Mack
(c) Eddie and Hazel
(d) Hughie and Jones
2. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
3. What do each of the boys carry to the frog hunt?
(a) A bucket
(b) A glass of whiskey and a flashlight
(c) A bottle of beer
(d) A net
4. What does Henri the Painter use for his materials?
(a) Bottle caps and nutshells
(b) Colored chicken feathers and nutshells
(c) Pennies and nickels
(d) Colored pebbles and chicken feathers
5. Through what time of day does Doc work gathering his gear?
(a) The pearly time
(b) The emerald evening
(c) The opal afternoon
(d) The diamond daytime
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness breaks out in all of Monterey?
2. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
3. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
4. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
5. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
2. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
3. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
4. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
5. What raises the ire of the normally even-tempered Doc while on the road?
6. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
7. How does Mack extract the date of Doc's birthday?
8. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
9. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
10. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)