|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are there few of afoot in the early hours of Cannery Row?
(a) human beings
2. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
(a) nine hundred and fifty
(b) one hundred
(c) six to seven hundred
(d) three to four hundred
3. Through what time of day does Doc work gathering his gear?
(a) The diamond daytime
(b) The pearly time
(c) The opal afternoon
(d) The emerald evening
4. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
(a) a bad stuttering habit
(b) a bad bladder ailment
(c) a headache remedy
(d) a muscle relaxant
5. What is Doc's real birthday?
(a) June 20
(b) May 5
(c) July 24
(d) December 18
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
2. What illness breaks out in all of Monterey?
3. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
4. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
5. How is Cannery Row described in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
2. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
3. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
4. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
5. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
6. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
7. How does Doc respond to Mack's request to know Doc's birth date?
8. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
9. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
10. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)