|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc order in Ventura?
(a) A banana sandwich
(b) A beer milkshake
(c) Fish potpie
(d) An orange coffee
2. What is Doc's driving style?
(a) He slows down, then speeds up erratically.
(b) He speeds to get to the sea as quickly as possible.
(c) He swerves back and forth looking out toward the sea.
(d) He drives slowly and stops often.
3. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
(a) one hundred
(b) nine hundred and fifty
(c) three to four hundred
(d) six to seven hundred
4. What does Doc know very well?
(a) The mountains
(b) The seacoast
(d) The Bible
5. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
(a) Eating his lunch
(b) Treating the dog
(c) Drinking a beer
(d) Taking a nap
Short Answer Questions
1. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
2. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
3. What is Mack's method of catching the frogs?
4. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
5. Where do the couples go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
2. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
3. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
4. Describe Mary Talbot.
5. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
6. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
7. Why does Mack initially reject the captain's offer of whiskey?
8. What impact have Mack and the boys had on the captain?
9. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
10. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)