|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
(a) Fills a jug for Mack
(b) Invites the boys to live with him
(c) Talks about his wife
(d) Tries to cook breakfast
2. What change do the people of Monterey feel?
(a) Everything is thriving again.
(b) The weather is too cold for this time of year.
(c) The economy is not good right now.
(d) The fashions are too severe.
3. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
(a) Two soldiers
(b) Their blind dates
(c) Their boyfriends
(d) Their cousins
4. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
5. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major problem of Doc's job?
2. Where do Mack and the boys now buy their groceries instead of going to Lee's?
3. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
4. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
5. What type of hat does Henri the Painter wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bet does Doc make with Frost on the Fourth of July?
2. Which character seems to assimilate the combined woes of everyone in Cannery Row?
3. How does Steinbeck show that Doc is one with nature?
4. What is the irony of the tax troubles Dora experiences?
5. What does Steinbeck believe about truth which is explained by Doc's walking trip during college?
6. Why is Mack impressed by Dora?
7. Why can Doc not get anyone to accompany him on specimen collecting trip to La Jolla?
8. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
9. For what event does Steinbeck use foreshadowing in this chapter?
10. What does Steinbeck mean by "the hour of the pearl" in Chapter 14?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)