|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack do to separate space for the residents of the Palace?
(a) Draws chalk lines on the floor
(b) Puts up crates
(c) Builds temporary walls
(d) Puts up paper screens
2. What part time job does Eddie do?
3. How did Lee acquire the car?
(a) From a used car dealership
(b) As payment for a grocery bill
(c) From his brother-in-law
(d) From his father
4. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
(a) tequila and lime juice
(b) vodka and orange juice
(c) rum and Hawaiian Punch
(d) the remains of liquids in patrons' glasses
5. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Harvey the Acrobat
(b) Henri the Painter
(c) Harry the Contortionist
(d) Henry the Sculptor
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
2. What is Doc's last name?
3. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
4. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
5. How much rent money comes in to Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
2. How does Lee acquire another building?
3. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
4. Describe Hazel.
5. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
6. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
7. What are Tong Wars?
8. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
9. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
10. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)