|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frankie enjoy doing at Doc's?
(a) Organizing the marine specimens
(b) Feeding the fish
(c) Watching and listening to Doc's parties
(d) Eating lunch with Doc
2. With whom does Frankie live?
(a) His large family
(b) His grandparents
(c) His widowed mother
(d) His foster family
3. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A major employer
(b) A cultural presence
(c) A philanthropist
(d) A councilman
4. What does Mack want to do?
(a) He wants to find a new place to live.
(b) He wants to do something nice for Doc.
(c) He wants to get a part time job.
(d) He wants to hitchhike back east.
5. Who helps Doc collect 300 starfish for an order from Northwestern University?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
2. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
3. What does Steinbeck think has had the most impact on America in two generations?
4. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
5. Who are Mack's boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hazel.
2. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
3. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
4. Describe Dora Flood.
5. How do Mack and the boys manage to "find" dinner while on the road?
6. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
7. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
8. What are Tong Wars?
9. It would be impractical to use the building to store groceries, so what does Lee do with the building?
10. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)