|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Harvey the Acrobat
(b) Henri the Painter
(c) Henry the Sculptor
(d) Harry the Contortionist
2. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
(a) She nearly goes bankrupt helping needy families.
(b) She has a nervous breakdown.
(c) She has to close up shop for two years.
(d) She gets married.
3. What type of business does Lee Chong own?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A dry cleaning store
(c) An insurance agency
(d) A bait shop
4. What is the name of the old Chinaman who walks through Cannery Row every day?
(b) He is unnamed
5. What is the condition of Lee's car?
(a) It is beyond repair.
(b) It sits on blocks, undriveable.
(c) It is in prime condition.
(d) It has no engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a businessman, Lee is __________________________.
2. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
3. What happens after the conclusion of the deal?
4. What do the boys do while Eddie is out stealing a new carburetor?
5. Who fills up Lee's car with gas at the service station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the planning for Doc's next party.
2. It would be impractical to use the building to store groceries, so what does Lee do with the building?
3. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
4. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
5. How does Steinbeck show that Cannery Row is an undesirable part of town?
6. Describe Steinbeck's use of humor in the frog-catching scene.
7. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
8. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
9. Why is Doc happy in spite of the desolation in his lab the morning after the party?
10. What is the symbolism of the music in Doc's head when he finds the body of the beautiful dead woman in the water?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)