|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a businessman, Lee is __________________________.
(a) careless and broke
(b) frugal and watchful
(c) conniving and not respected
(d) prosperous and respected
2. Where is Dora's business located?
(a) Behind Lee's store
(b) On a seaside highway
(c) Across the railroad tracks
(d) Out in the country
3. What does Steinbeck think has had the most impact on America in two generations?
(c) The Ford Model T
4. What happens to some of the boiler's larger pipes?
(a) They are melted down.
(b) They are donated to playgrounds.
(c) They are rented out to single men.
(d) They are given to Doc.
5. Who is the child who sees something mysterious in the old Chinaman's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Frankie live?
2. Where do Mack and the boys sleep?
3. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
4. What do the boys hit in Lee's car?
5. Who are Mack's boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. It would be impractical to use the building to store groceries, so what does Lee do with the building?
2. What are Tong Wars?
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
5. Describe Dora Flood.
6. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
7. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
8. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
9. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
10. Describe Hazel.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)