|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
2. What does Doc do for Frankie?
(a) Sends him back to school
(b) Adopts him
(c) Feeds him and sends him back home
(d) Cleans him, rids him of lice and clothes him
3. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
(a) His truck
(b) Clean clothes
(c) Hot coffee
(d) Deli sandwiches
4. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
(a) To see his girlfriend
(b) To collect octopi
(c) To pick up a friend at the station
(d) To return some books
5. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A major employer
(b) A councilman
(c) A philanthropist
(d) A cultural presence
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dora's business located?
2. Who are Mack's boys?
3. Everybody in town loves Dora except _____________________.
4. What is the one fear of the answer to #33?
5. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contents of Eddie's punch.
2. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
3. Describe Doc's personal characteristics.
4. It would be impractical to use the building to store groceries, so what does Lee do with the building?
5. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
6. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
7. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
8. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
9. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
10. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)