|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
(a) vodka and orange juice
(b) the remains of liquids in patrons' glasses
(c) rum and Hawaiian Punch
(d) tequila and lime juice
2. Who is the owner and operator of Western Biological Laboratories?
3. What is the result of guy's inspired and talented work?
(a) He gets Lee's car engine to start.
(b) He is able to improve the gas mileage in Lee's car.
(c) He gets the car all shined up.
(d) He gets the car detailed.
4. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
(a) She nearly goes bankrupt helping needy families.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She has to close up shop for two years.
(d) She has a nervous breakdown.
5. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Harry the Contortionist
(b) Henri the Painter
(c) Henry the Sculptor
(d) Harvey the Acrobat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack want to do?
2. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
3. What does Frankie eventually do for Doc?
4. How do Mack and the boys furnish their new residence?
5. What is the one fear of the answer to #33?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lee Chong's business.
2. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
3. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
4. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
5. Describe Doc's physical appearance.
6. How does the Bear Flag stay in business even though it is an illegal operation?
7. What does Steinbeck think has changed America dramatically in only two generations?
8. What happens to spur Mack and the boys into fixing up the Palace Flophouse?
9. What is Gay's special talent?
10. What are Tong Wars?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)