|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a businessman, Lee is __________________________.
(a) careless and broke
(b) frugal and watchful
(c) conniving and not respected
(d) prosperous and respected
2. What type of business does Lee Chong own?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A dry cleaning store
(c) A bait shop
(d) An insurance agency
3. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
(a) A huge stove
(b) A burn barrel
(c) A hot plate
(d) A chiminea
4. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
(a) A gas voucher
(b) A per diem
(c) Overnight accommodations
(d) Payment for mileage
5. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
(a) To go dumpster diving.
(b) To get ready for Doc's party.
(c) To hitchhike to La Jolla.
(d) To help Guy work on Lee's truck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys want to load up on for the trip?
2. What does Doc tell Hazel about the answer to #43?
3. What are the ingredients of Eddie's special punch?
4. Who is the newest resident of the Palace?
5. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony in Mack's telling Doc that he and the boys need money for a good cause.
2. What becomes the pride and joy in the Palace for Mack and the boys?
3. What is the significance of Lao Tze's philosophies in the story?
4. Explain the behavior of the Chinaman.
5. What happens to Gay when the needle valve breaks on the car?
6. What does Steinbeck call Mack and the boys?
7. What is the irony of Hazel's name?
8. How does Lee acquire the Model T Ford?
9. What is Gay's special talent?
10. Describe the building where Western Biological Laboratories is located.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)