|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
(a) Fish and chips
(b) Steak and eggs
(c) A ham sandwich
(d) A hamburger and a beer
2. What fib does Doc make up about his walking trip?
(a) That his car ran out of gas.
(b) That he is walking to prove how much he loves his girlfriend.
(c) That he is walking to sell magazine subscriptions.
(d) That he is walking to collect a $100 bet.
3. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
(a) Mack and Jones
(b) Hughie and Hazel
(c) Hughie and Jones
(d) Hughie and Eddie
4. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
(a) The new Santa hired for the Christmas season
(b) The Labor Day White Sale
(c) The circus animals in the parking lot
(d) The flagpole sitter
5. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
(a) He is neither French nor a painter.
(b) He is of Irish descent.
(c) He is a house painter.
(d) His real name is Henry.
6. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
(a) nine hundred and fifty
(b) six to seven hundred
(c) three to four hundred
(d) one hundred
7. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
8. What is Doc's real birthday?
(a) June 20
(b) December 18
(c) May 5
(d) July 24
9. Where do the couples go?
(a) To a movie
(b) To dinner
(c) To breakfast
(d) To a beach
10. How deep is the frog pool?
(a) four feet
(b) fourteen feet
(c) eight feet
(d) ten feet
11. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
(b) wooden nickels
(c) the captain's whiskey
(d) sand dollars
12. What does Mack plan to do once again?
(a) Visit the captain for more whiskey
(b) Go to La Jolla for octopi
(c) Have a party for Doc
(d) Catch more frogs for Doc
13. Who is the only person in town who has the nerve to ask the flagpole sitter how he goes to the toilet?
(a) Dora Flood
(c) Lee Chong
(d) Richard Frost
14. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
15. What does doc find when he wades into the water and parts the mass of algae?
(a) The wreckage of a ship
(b) A dolphin
(c) Trapped pelicans
(d) The face of a beautiful dead girl
Short Answer Questions
1. On what do Doc and Frost place a bet?
2. What change do the people of Monterey feel?
3. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
4. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
5. What kind of dog does the watchman have?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)