|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack sense about Doc?
(a) That Doc has a big secret.
(b) That Doc is very ill.
(c) That Doc will be leaving town soon.
(d) That Doc is a lonely man.
2. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
3. What does Doc order in Ventura?
(a) Fish potpie
(b) An orange coffee
(c) A beer milkshake
(d) A banana sandwich
4. What does Doc think about the boys?
(a) They will not sell their souls to gain the world.
(b) They are hopeless drunks.
(c) They will always be losers.
(d) They will never hold down real jobs.
5. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
(a) He is moving and has to find them homes.
(b) He doesn't have time to take care of pups.
(c) No one wants bird dogs anymore.
(d) Their food is costing too much.
6. What date does Doc give Mack as his birthday?
(a) October 24
(b) September 14
(c) June 25
(d) October 27
7. Who carries the gunnysacks?
(a) Eddie and Hazel
(b) Hughie and Jones
(c) Hughie and Mack
(d) Jones and Mack
8. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
(b) Checks his notes
(c) Counts stars
(d) Listens to music
9. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
(a) Mack and Jones
(b) Hughie and Hazel
(c) Hughie and Jones
(d) Hughie and Eddie
10. Whose advice does Henri seek after having a nightmare?
11. What are Mack and the boys known as now?
(a) Religious zealots
(b) Social outcasts
(c) The life of the party
12. What fib does Doc make up about his walking trip?
(a) That his car ran out of gas.
(b) That he is walking to prove how much he loves his girlfriend.
(c) That he is walking to collect a $100 bet.
(d) That he is walking to sell magazine subscriptions.
13. What does Doc live on during this hectic time?
(a) Cheese and crackers
(b) Beer and canned sardines
(c) Soup and orange juice
(d) Whiskey and burgers
14. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
15. Why does Mack turn down the captain's first offer of a drink?
(a) Mack is trying to quit drinking.
(b) It is too early to drink.
(c) The frog hunt is a scientific expedition.
(d) Mack is a recovering alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
2. What does the captain carry to the frog hunt?
3. On what do Doc and Frost place a bet?
4. Through what time of day does Doc work gathering his gear?
5. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)