|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
2. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
(a) Coffee and pie for breakfast
(b) Coffee and omelets for breakfast
(c) Coffee, sandwiches and beer for breakfast
(d) Coffee, orange juice and muffins for breakfast
3. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
(b) Counts stars
(c) Checks his notes
(d) Listens to music
4. What takes over on Cannery Row?
5. What does doc find when he wades into the water and parts the mass of algae?
(a) Trapped pelicans
(b) The face of a beautiful dead girl
(c) A dolphin
(d) The wreckage of a ship
6. Who carries the gunnysacks?
(a) Hughie and Jones
(b) Eddie and Hazel
(c) Jones and Mack
(d) Hughie and Mack
7. What does Doc do after his meal?
(a) Checks into a hotel
(b) Visits an old friend
(c) Goes to a club
(d) Picks up a hitchhiker
8. What is Holman's Department Store's best promotion ever?
(a) The flagpole sitter
(b) The new Santa hired for the Christmas season
(c) The Labor Day White Sale
(d) The circus animals in the parking lot
9. What does Mack sense about Doc?
(a) That Doc is a lonely man.
(b) That Doc is very ill.
(c) That Doc has a big secret.
(d) That Doc will be leaving town soon.
10. What time of day is it when Chapter 14 opens?
(a) Early morning
11. Who garners much attention after falling sick?
12. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
(a) Invites the boys to live with him
(b) Tries to cook breakfast
(c) Fills a jug for Mack
(d) Talks about his wife
13. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
(a) Hazel and Eddie are studying numerology
(b) Hazel and Hughie are updating the birthday card list
(c) Hazel and Hughie are studying astrology
(d) He and Hazel are making a birthday reminder calendar
14. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
(a) Taking a nap
(b) Drinking a beer
(c) Treating the dog
(d) Eating his lunch
15. What is a major problem of Doc's job?
(a) The smells inside his lab
(b) Getting the universities to pay him
(c) Collecting his specimens when nature makes them available
(d) Fighting off boredom
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Henri the Painter?
2. What has enthralled Henri the Painter?
3. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
4. What does Doc live on during this hectic time?
5. Which two boys play in the boat works yard by the railroad tracks?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)