|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people treat Doc after he tells his fib?
(a) They invite him to dinner and take him in.
(b) They follow him on his trip.
(c) They shun him.
(d) They want to take his picture.
2. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
(a) No one wants bird dogs anymore.
(b) Their food is costing too much.
(c) He is moving and has to find them homes.
(d) He doesn't have time to take care of pups.
3. What do each of the boys carry to the frog hunt?
(a) A net
(b) A bottle of beer
(c) A glass of whiskey and a flashlight
(d) A bucket
4. What does Doc order in Ventura?
(a) An orange coffee
(b) Fish potpie
(c) A banana sandwich
(d) A beer milkshake
5. What does Mack sense about Doc?
(a) That Doc has a big secret.
(b) That Doc is very ill.
(c) That Doc will be leaving town soon.
(d) That Doc is a lonely man.
6. What does Mack plan to do once again?
(a) Catch more frogs for Doc
(b) Visit the captain for more whiskey
(c) Go to La Jolla for octopi
(d) Have a party for Doc
7. What does Doc know very well?
(a) The Bible
(b) The seacoast
(d) The mountains
8. What does Doc think about the boys?
(a) They will never hold down real jobs.
(b) They are hopeless drunks.
(c) They will not sell their souls to gain the world.
(d) They will always be losers.
9. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
(a) Coffee, orange juice and muffins for breakfast
(b) Coffee, sandwiches and beer for breakfast
(c) Coffee and pie for breakfast
(d) Coffee and omelets for breakfast
10. What does Doc eat before leaving Monterey?
(a) A hamburger and a beer
(b) Fish and chips
(c) A ham sandwich
(d) Steak and eggs
11. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
(a) Listens to music
(c) Checks his notes
(d) Counts stars
12. What does Doc live on during this hectic time?
(a) Soup and orange juice
(b) Whiskey and burgers
(c) Beer and canned sardines
(d) Cheese and crackers
13. What does Doc collect near the sea?
14. Where did Doc go to college?
(a) Georgia Tech
(b) Ohio State University
(c) Columbia University
(d) The University of Chicago
15. What does the captain lament about the pups?
(a) They are mutts.
(b) He should have drowned all but one.
(c) He has to find homes for them.
(d) He has to get them weaned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mack turn down the captain's first offer of a drink?
2. What has enthralled Henri the Painter?
3. Through what time of day does Doc work gathering his gear?
4. Who leaves La Ida's in the company of girls?
5. What takes over on Cannery Row?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)