|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack sense about Doc?
(a) That Doc has a big secret.
(b) That Doc is very ill.
(c) That Doc will be leaving town soon.
(d) That Doc is a lonely man.
2. What has enthralled Henri the Painter?
(a) Watching a flagpole sitter/skater
(b) His new fishing pole
(c) His new car
(d) A new girl at the Bear Flag
3. Near Los Angeles, what does Doc load up on after he eats a hearty chicken dinner?
(a) Coffee and omelets for breakfast
(b) Coffee and pie for breakfast
(c) Coffee, orange juice and muffins for breakfast
(d) Coffee, sandwiches and beer for breakfast
4. What does Mack plan to do once again?
(a) Catch more frogs for Doc
(b) Visit the captain for more whiskey
(c) Go to La Jolla for octopi
(d) Have a party for Doc
5. Why do Henri's girlfriends eventually leave him?
(a) Henri never has any money
(b) Henri wants to paint them
(c) The boat's tight quarters and lack of a toilet
(d) They get seasick
6. What is the mood at the Palace when Mack returns from the lab?
7. What does the captain bring up from the cellar?
(a) Bottles of beer
(b) A keg of Prohibition-vintage corn whiskey
(c) Food for the pups
(d) Sleeping cots
8. How many times has Henri the Painter been married?
(a) Four times
(b) One time
(c) Three times
(d) Two times
9. Where does Henri the Painter live in actuality?
(a) In a painter's loft
(b) In a townhouse
(c) On a thirty-five-foot boat
(d) In a cabin
10. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
(a) Invites the boys to live with him
(b) Fills a jug for Mack
(c) Tries to cook breakfast
(d) Talks about his wife
11. What does the captain lament about the pups?
(a) He has to find homes for them.
(b) He should have drowned all but one.
(c) They are mutts.
(d) He has to get them weaned.
12. On what pretense does Mack get Doc to admit his birth date?
(a) Hazel and Hughie are updating the birthday card list
(b) He and Hazel are making a birthday reminder calendar
(c) Hazel and Eddie are studying numerology
(d) Hazel and Hughie are studying astrology
13. Where does Doc stop for his first square meal?
(a) Santa Cruz
(b) Santa Barbara
(c) San Diego
(d) San Jose
14. Where does Henri the Painter live in his imagination?
15. Who is the only person in town who has the nerve to ask the flagpole sitter how he goes to the toilet?
(a) Lee Chong
(b) Dora Flood
(c) Richard Frost
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes over on Cannery Row?
2. What does Doc think about the boys?
3. What is Mack doing by the time the boys reach the farmhouse?
4. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
5. How is Cannery Row described in Chapter 14?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)