|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a major problem of Doc's job?
(a) The smells inside his lab
(b) Fighting off boredom
(c) Getting the universities to pay him
(d) Collecting his specimens when nature makes them available
2. What is Doc's driving style?
(a) He speeds to get to the sea as quickly as possible.
(b) He swerves back and forth looking out toward the sea.
(c) He drives slowly and stops often.
(d) He slows down, then speeds up erratically.
3. What change do the people of Monterey feel?
(a) Everything is thriving again.
(b) The fashions are too severe.
(c) The weather is too cold for this time of year.
(d) The economy is not good right now.
4. Doc tells the waitress that he needs the answer to #122 for _______________________________.
(a) a bad stuttering habit
(b) a bad bladder ailment
(c) a headache remedy
(d) a muscle relaxant
5. Where does Doc stop for his first square meal?
(a) Santa Cruz
(b) San Jose
(c) Santa Barbara
(d) San Diego
6. How many frogs do Mack and the boys catch?
(a) six to seven hundred
(b) one hundred
(c) three to four hundred
(d) nine hundred and fifty
7. Doc drives to the cliffs above the tidal flat and ____________ in the car.
(a) Counts stars
(c) Checks his notes
(d) Listens to music
8. What does the captain carry to the frog hunt?
(a) A pitcher of whiskey
(b) A net
(c) A flashlight
(d) A gun
9. Which of the boys have taken jobs at the Hediondo Cannery?
(a) Hughie and Hazel
(b) Hughie and Eddie
(c) Mack and Jones
(d) Hughie and Jones
10. Why does Doc have to treat the people who come down with the illness?
(a) Doc is specialized in treatment of the illness.
(b) Regular doctors are busy and slight Cannery Row residents who can't pay.
(c) The people want someone they can trust.
(d) The city doesn't have enough doctors.
11. What does Doc collect near the sea?
12. What does the captain do before passing out on the floor drunk?
(a) Invites the boys to live with him
(b) Fills a jug for Mack
(c) Talks about his wife
(d) Tries to cook breakfast
13. What does the captain offer Mack?
(a) A place to stay for the night
(b) The pick of the litter of pups
(c) A job
(d) A beer
14. Where did Doc once take a walking trip?
(a) Indiana to Florida
(b) Georgia to Louisiana
(c) Ohio to Vermont
(d) New York to Maryland
15. Why does the captain think the pups are a nuisance?
(a) He is moving and has to find them homes.
(b) No one wants bird dogs anymore.
(c) He doesn't have time to take care of pups.
(d) Their food is costing too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc order in Ventura?
2. What does Doc live on during this hectic time?
3. What do Mack and the boys use for currency in Lee's store?
4. What does the flagpole sitter complain of on his second day?
5. What does the captain lament about the pups?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)