|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
(a) Hola Cannery
(b) Hediondo Cannery
(c) Huevos Cannery
(d) Hacienda Cannery
2. What happens to the boiler?
(a) It is repurposed for other cannery departments.
(b) It is melted down.
(c) It is sold for scrap metal.
(d) A couple named the Malloys move into it as a safe apartment.
3. Who fills up Lee's car with gas at the service station?
4. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
(a) Deli sandwiches
(b) Hot coffee
(c) Clean clothes
(d) His truck
5. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
(a) To hitchhike to La Jolla.
(b) To go dumpster diving.
(c) To get ready for Doc's party.
(d) To help Guy work on Lee's truck.
6. What does Mack want to do?
(a) He wants to do something nice for Doc.
(b) He wants to find a new place to live.
(c) He wants to hitchhike back east.
(d) He wants to get a part time job.
7. What happens when the boiler at the answer to #51 stops working?
(a) It is dumped and gutted for parts.
(b) It blows up.
(c) It causes a fire which burns an entire block.
(d) It has run successfully for ten years straight.
8. Who is employed at Dora's business?
(a) Mack and his boys
(b) 4 women and 4 part time girls
(c) 10 women and men and an Italian chef
(d) 12 girls, a Greek cook and a watchman
9. Where is Dora's business located?
(a) Out in the country
(b) Behind Lee's store
(c) Across the railroad tracks
(d) On a seaside highway
10. How has Dora managed to stay in business for so many years?
(a) Unlimited customer service guarantee
(b) Giving generously to every charity that asks
(c) Serving the best sandwiches in town
(d) Making the best Margaritas in the state
11. Why does Frankie not attend school?
(a) He skips school whenever he can.
(b) Frankie would rather work.
(c) His mother does not see the need for school.
(d) He is not very bright.
12. What does Doc tell Hazel about the answer to #43?
(a) He has a terminal disease.
(b) He lost all of his money.
(c) He likes boats but is afraid of water.
(d) He has been married five times.
13. What is the result of guy's inspired and talented work?
(a) He gets the car detailed.
(b) He gets the car all shined up.
(c) He is able to improve the gas mileage in Lee's car.
(d) He gets Lee's car engine to start.
14. What part time job does Eddie do?
15. What does Steinbeck think has had the most impact on America in two generations?
(a) The Ford Model T
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mack and the boys sleep?
2. Who is the leader of a small group of homeless men?
3. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
4. What do the boys do while Eddie is out stealing a new carburetor?
5. What job does Doc assign to Mack?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)