|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc tell Hazel about the answer to #43?
(a) He likes boats but is afraid of water.
(b) He has a terminal disease.
(c) He lost all of his money.
(d) He has been married five times.
2. Why does Frankie not attend school?
(a) He skips school whenever he can.
(b) His mother does not see the need for school.
(c) Frankie would rather work.
(d) He is not very bright.
3. What does Frankie enjoy doing at Doc's?
(a) Organizing the marine specimens
(b) Feeding the fish
(c) Watching and listening to Doc's parties
(d) Eating lunch with Doc
4. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
(b) A bad omen
(c) God or Death
5. What is the name of Dora's business?
(a) Dora's Dresses
(b) Bare Flag Restaurant
(c) Bear Flag Restaurant
(d) Dora's Desserts
6. How did Lee acquire the car?
(a) As payment for a grocery bill
(b) From a used car dealership
(c) From his brother-in-law
(d) From his father
7. Everybody in town loves Dora except _____________________.
(a) the priests and nuns
(b) the married spinsters
(c) restaurant owners
(d) the bar owners
8. Why does Gay's wife no longer swear out warrants against him?
(a) They are in couples therapy.
(b) He is not worth the effort.
(c) He likes the new jail too much.
(d) She is trying to manage her anger.
9. How much does Lee ask for the building's rent?
(a) $5 per week
(b) $750 per week
(c) $1500 per month
(d) $50 per month
10. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
(a) To pick up a friend at the station
(b) To return some books
(c) To collect octopi
(d) To see his girlfriend
11. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A major employer
(b) A philanthropist
(c) A councilman
(d) A cultural presence
12. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
(a) Guy has a bad temper.
(b) The owners are too cheap to hire him.
(c) Guy is too shy to ask for work.
(d) Guy never shows up on time.
13. Who is the newest resident of the Palace?
14. How long does it take eleven-year-old Frankie to enter Doc's lab and speak to Doc?
(a) Three years
(b) Three days
(c) Three months
(d) Three weeks
15. What is the name of the old Chinaman who walks through Cannery Row every day?
(a) He is unnamed
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
2. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
3. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
4. What are the hours of Lee's business?
5. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)