|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
(a) It does not make it
(b) With all the boys pushing
(c) It sputters and smokes
(d) In reverse with the radiator boiling
2. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
(a) Clean clothes
(b) His truck
(c) Deli sandwiches
(d) Hot coffee
3. What part time job does Eddie do?
4. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
(a) A huge stove
(b) A burn barrel
(c) A chiminea
(d) A hot plate
5. What happens when the boiler at the answer to #51 stops working?
(a) It causes a fire which burns an entire block.
(b) It blows up.
(c) It has run successfully for ten years straight.
(d) It is dumped and gutted for parts.
6. What does Frankie eventually do for Doc?
(a) Sweeps the floors of the lab
(b) Run errands
(c) Serves drinks at parties
(d) Cleans the fish tanks
7. Everybody in town loves Dora except _____________________.
(a) the married spinsters
(b) the bar owners
(c) restaurant owners
(d) the priests and nuns
8. With whom does Frankie live?
(a) His widowed mother
(b) His large family
(c) His foster family
(d) His grandparents
9. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
(a) Huevos Cannery
(b) Hediondo Cannery
(c) Hacienda Cannery
(d) Hola Cannery
10. What happens to the boiler?
(a) It is sold for scrap metal.
(b) It is melted down.
(c) A couple named the Malloys move into it as a safe apartment.
(d) It is repurposed for other cannery departments.
11. Who helps Doc collect 300 starfish for an order from Northwestern University?
12. What is the condition of Lee's car?
(a) It is beyond repair.
(b) It is in prime condition.
(c) It has no engine.
(d) It sits on blocks, undriveable.
13. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Henry the Sculptor
(b) Harry the Contortionist
(c) Henri the Painter
(d) Harvey the Acrobat
14. As a result of his generosity and sympathy, people want to ________________________.
(a) do nice things for Doc
(b) give money to Doc
(c) donate time to Doc
(d) take Doc out to dinner
15. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
(a) Gay knows of a good junkyard and gets what he needs there.
(b) The boys hitchhike to where they are going.
(c) Gay sets off to find one and disappears for 180 days.
(d) Mack knows a friend who can help them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
2. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
3. How do Mack and the boys furnish their new residence?
4. What happens to some of the boiler's larger pipes?
5. Where is Dora's business located?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)