|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
(a) To get ready for Doc's party.
(b) To go dumpster diving.
(c) To help Guy work on Lee's truck.
(d) To hitchhike to La Jolla.
2. With whom did Lee consummate a recent business deal?
(a) Mack Abbeville
(b) Dora Abbeville
(c) Wes Chong
(d) Horace Abbeville
3. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
(a) Los Angeles
(b) San Diego
(c) Santa Barbara
4. Who is the owner and operator of Western Biological Laboratories?
5. Who helps Doc collect 300 starfish for an order from Northwestern University?
6. What part time job does Eddie do?
7. What happens after the conclusion of the deal?
(a) The answer to #4 goes to the bar.
(b) The answer to #4 pays his creditors.
(c) The answer to #4 shoots himself.
(d) The answser to #4 takes his wife to dinner.
8. Why do Mack and the boys have to avoid the police?
(a) Lee's car has expired license plates and no headlights.
(b) There are arrest warrants out for Hazel.
(c) Eddie is wanted for petty theft.
(d) Mack is wanted for non payment of child support.
9. What is the name of Dora's business?
(a) Dora's Dresses
(b) Bear Flag Restaurant
(c) Bare Flag Restaurant
(d) Dora's Desserts
10. What is the business of Western Biological Laboratories?
(a) A museum of western life
(b) A facility for Pacific Ocean maritime history
(c) A research facility for desert life
(d) A storage area and laboratory of marine creatures
11. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
(a) She has a nervous breakdown.
(b) She nearly goes bankrupt helping needy families.
(c) She gets married.
(d) She has to close up shop for two years.
12. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Harvey the Acrobat
(b) Henry the Sculptor
(c) Harry the Contortionist
(d) Henri the Painter
13. How much does Lee ask for the building's rent?
(a) $750 per week
(b) $1500 per month
(c) $50 per month
(d) $5 per week
14. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
(a) Gay knows of a good junkyard and gets what he needs there.
(b) Gay sets off to find one and disappears for 180 days.
(c) Mack knows a friend who can help them.
(d) The boys hitchhike to where they are going.
15. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
(a) The owners are too cheap to hire him.
(b) Guy is too shy to ask for work.
(c) Guy never shows up on time.
(d) Guy has a bad temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is employed at Dora's business?
2. What happens to some of the boiler's larger pipes?
3. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
4. Who is the newest resident of the Palace?
5. How has Dora managed to stay in business for so many years?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)