|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hazel, a man, given a female name?
(a) Hazel's mother is worn out from seven pregnancies in eight years
(b) It is an honor given by a family priest.
(c) It is a custom in Hazel's family.
(d) It is a family name.
2. Where does Doc collect marine animals?
(a) The San Diego Bay
(b) The Great Tide Pool
(c) The Mississippi River
(d) Fire Island
3. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
(a) She gets married.
(b) She has to close up shop for two years.
(c) She nearly goes bankrupt helping needy families.
(d) She has a nervous breakdown.
4. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
(a) Hot coffee
(b) Clean clothes
(c) His truck
(d) Deli sandwiches
5. Who has given Mack and his boys the ability to survive?
(a) Art father who are in heaven
(b) Our father who art in nature
(c) Howard be thy name
(d) The father of all nations
6. What is the name of Dora's business?
(a) Bear Flag Restaurant
(b) Dora's Desserts
(c) Bare Flag Restaurant
(d) Dora's Dresses
7. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
(a) Hola Cannery
(b) Huevos Cannery
(c) Hacienda Cannery
(d) Hediondo Cannery
8. What are the hours of Lee's business?
(a) From dawn until the last vagrant goes to sleep
(b) From noon until midnight
(c) From 8 in the morning until 8 at night
(d) From dawn until midnight
9. What do the boys hit in Lee's car?
(a) A rooster
(b) A skunk
(c) Another car
(d) A deer
10. What does Lee's soft heart inspire him to do?
(a) Adopt a foster child
(b) Have his father exhumed and buried in sacred Chinese soil
(c) Donate to a homeless shelter
(d) Become a Big Brother to a young boy
11. What is the condition of Lee's car?
(a) It sits on blocks, undriveable.
(b) It has no engine.
(c) It is in prime condition.
(d) It is beyond repair.
12. Who is the owner and operator of Western Biological Laboratories?
13. What type of car does Lee have?
(a) An Edsel
(b) A Chevrolet
(c) A convertible
(d) A Model T Ford
14. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
(a) With all the boys pushing
(b) In reverse with the radiator boiling
(c) It does not make it
(d) It sputters and smokes
15. Who are Mack's boys?
(a) Hazel, Freddie, Hughie and Jones
(b) Hazel, Eddie, Hughie and James
(c) Hazel, Eddie, Huey and Jones
(d) Hazel, Eddie, Hughie and Jones
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills up Lee's car with gas at the service station?
2. How much does Lee ask for the building's rent?
3. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
4. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
5. What does Mack want to do?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)