|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A major employer
(b) A philanthropist
(c) A cultural presence
(d) A councilman
2. What does Mack do to separate space for the residents of the Palace?
(a) Draws chalk lines on the floor
(b) Puts up paper screens
(c) Puts up crates
(d) Builds temporary walls
3. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
(a) In reverse with the radiator boiling
(b) With all the boys pushing
(c) It sputters and smokes
(d) It does not make it
4. Who else has returned to live at the Palace?
(a) Harvey the Acrobat
(b) Henri the Painter
(c) Harry the Contortionist
(d) Henry the Sculptor
5. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
(a) To collect octopi
(b) To return some books
(c) To pick up a friend at the station
(d) To see his girlfriend
6. What is the name of Dora's business?
(a) Dora's Desserts
(b) Bear Flag Restaurant
(c) Bare Flag Restaurant
(d) Dora's Dresses
7. Why is Hazel, a man, given a female name?
(a) It is a family name.
(b) It is a custom in Hazel's family.
(c) It is an honor given by a family priest.
(d) Hazel's mother is worn out from seven pregnancies in eight years
8. Why do Mack and the boys have to avoid the police?
(a) Lee's car has expired license plates and no headlights.
(b) There are arrest warrants out for Hazel.
(c) Mack is wanted for non payment of child support.
(d) Eddie is wanted for petty theft.
9. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
(a) A bad omen
(d) God or Death
10. How long does it take eleven-year-old Frankie to enter Doc's lab and speak to Doc?
(a) Three days
(b) Three weeks
(c) Three years
(d) Three months
11. Why does Gay's wife no longer swear out warrants against him?
(a) They are in couples therapy.
(b) He is not worth the effort.
(c) He likes the new jail too much.
(d) She is trying to manage her anger.
12. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
13. What is the nature of the deal?
(a) The answer to #4 will get a part time job to pay his debt to Lee.
(b) The answer to #4 signs over a building to Lee.
(c) The answer to #4 will work for Lee.
(d) The answer to #4 buys some property from Lee.
14. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
(a) A dress shop
(b) A floral shop
(c) A whorehouse
(d) A restaurant
15. What does Mack want to do?
(a) He wants to find a new place to live.
(b) He wants to hitchhike back east.
(c) He wants to get a part time job.
(d) He wants to do something nice for Doc.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of his generosity and sympathy, people want to ________________________.
2. With whom did Lee consummate a recent business deal?
3. Who is the child who sees something mysterious in the old Chinaman's eyes?
4. What does Doc do for Frankie?
5. How has Dora managed to stay in business for so many years?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)