|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the deal?
(a) The answer to #4 will work for Lee.
(b) The answer to #4 will get a part time job to pay his debt to Lee.
(c) The answer to #4 signs over a building to Lee.
(d) The answer to #4 buys some property from Lee.
2. What kind of business does Dora Flood operate?
(a) A restaurant
(b) A floral shop
(c) A whorehouse
(d) A dress shop
3. What is Lee's final solution about the building?
(a) He demolishes it and makes a parking garage.
(b) He rents boat storage space to people.
(c) He lets Mack and the boys live there.
(d) He rents it out for events.
4. Who is the owner and operator of Western Biological Laboratories?
5. Which one of the boys has the mechanical ability to work on Lee's car?
6. With whom does Frankie live?
(a) His widowed mother
(b) His foster family
(c) His grandparents
(d) His large family
7. Toward what city do Mack and the boys head?
(b) San Diego
(c) Santa Barbara
(d) Los Angeles
8. Where do Mack and the boys sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) On cots
(c) On old mattresses
(d) On skids
9. What does Doc tell Hazel about the answer to #43?
(a) He has a terminal disease.
(b) He lost all of his money.
(c) He likes boats but is afraid of water.
(d) He has been married five times.
10. How does Lee's car make it over Carmel Hill?
(a) In reverse with the radiator boiling
(b) It does not make it
(c) With all the boys pushing
(d) It sputters and smokes
11. Who fills up Lee's car with gas at the service station?
12. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
(a) His truck
(b) Deli sandwiches
(c) Hot coffee
(d) Clean clothes
13. What is the name of Dora's current watchman?
14. What does Steinbeck think has had the most impact on America in two generations?
(c) The Ford Model T
15. Why is Hazel, a man, given a female name?
(a) Hazel's mother is worn out from seven pregnancies in eight years
(b) It is a custom in Hazel's family.
(c) It is a family name.
(d) It is an honor given by a family priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frankie not attend school?
2. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
3. As a result of his generosity and sympathy, people want to ________________________.
4. What is the one fear of the answer to #33?
5. How long does it take eleven-year-old Frankie to enter Doc's lab and speak to Doc?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)