|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think has had the most impact on America in two generations?
(b) The Ford Model T
2. What does Mack do to separate space for the residents of the Palace?
(a) Puts up crates
(b) Builds temporary walls
(c) Puts up paper screens
(d) Draws chalk lines on the floor
3. How has Dora managed to stay in business for so many years?
(a) Serving the best sandwiches in town
(b) Making the best Margaritas in the state
(c) Unlimited customer service guarantee
(d) Giving generously to every charity that asks
4. What happens to Lee's car on Carmel Hill?
(a) It dies completely.
(b) It rolls backward.
(c) It cannot make it up the hill.
(d) It runs out of gas.
5. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A cultural presence
(b) A philanthropist
(c) A major employer
(d) A councilman
6. What does Frankie enjoy doing at Doc's?
(a) Watching and listening to Doc's parties
(b) Eating lunch with Doc
(c) Organizing the marine specimens
(d) Feeding the fish
7. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
(b) A bad omen
(c) God or Death
8. What does Doc tell Hazel about the answer to #43?
(a) He has been married five times.
(b) He has a terminal disease.
(c) He likes boats but is afraid of water.
(d) He lost all of his money.
9. Why does Lee make the decision he does about the building?
(a) He is a philanthropist at heart.
(b) The city needs more parking space.
(c) Refusal would mean broken windows and fire.
(d) He needs a tax deduction.
10. What is the result of guy's inspired and talented work?
(a) He gets the car detailed.
(b) He gets the car all shined up.
(c) He gets Lee's car engine to start.
(d) He is able to improve the gas mileage in Lee's car.
11. Why do Mack and the boys have to avoid the police?
(a) Eddie is wanted for petty theft.
(b) There are arrest warrants out for Hazel.
(c) Mack is wanted for non payment of child support.
(d) Lee's car has expired license plates and no headlights.
12. What is the nature of the deal?
(a) The answer to #4 buys some property from Lee.
(b) The answer to #4 will get a part time job to pay his debt to Lee.
(c) The answer to #4 signs over a building to Lee.
(d) The answer to #4 will work for Lee.
13. Who helps Doc collect 300 starfish for an order from Northwestern University?
14. What does Mack tell doc?
(a) Eddie's punch is making everyone sick.
(b) Dora's girls are going on strike.
(c) Mack and the boys need money for a good cause.
(d) Lee is charging them rent now.
15. What does Doc do for Frankie?
(a) Cleans him, rids him of lice and clothes him
(b) Adopts him
(c) Feeds him and sends him back home
(d) Sends him back to school
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Frankie live?
2. What is the name of Dora's business?
3. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
4. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
5. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)