|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack do to separate space for the residents of the Palace?
(a) Builds temporary walls
(b) Draws chalk lines on the floor
(c) Puts up crates
(d) Puts up paper screens
2. Why is Hazel, a man, given a female name?
(a) It is a custom in Hazel's family.
(b) It is a family name.
(c) Hazel's mother is worn out from seven pregnancies in eight years
(d) It is an honor given by a family priest.
3. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
(a) To see his girlfriend
(b) To pick up a friend at the station
(c) To return some books
(d) To collect octopi
4. What are Lee's first thoughts about the building he now owns?
(a) He can rent it out as storage space.
(b) He can tear it down and sell the land.
(c) He can store his boat in it.
(d) Storing inventory there would only invite thievery.
5. What becomes the hearth and center of the Palace?
(a) A burn barrel
(b) A huge stove
(c) A chiminea
(d) A hot plate
6. Where is Western Biological Laboratories located?
(a) Along the oceanfront
(b) In the desert
(c) Across from Lee's and Dora's businesses
(d) In the industrial part of town
7. Who is the leader of a small group of homeless men?
8. What happens to some of the boiler's larger pipes?
(a) They are rented out to single men.
(b) They are given to Doc.
(c) They are donated to playgrounds.
(d) They are melted down.
9. What happens when the boiler at the answer to #51 stops working?
(a) It is dumped and gutted for parts.
(b) It causes a fire which burns an entire block.
(c) It blows up.
(d) It has run successfully for ten years straight.
10. Why does Gay's wife no longer swear out warrants against him?
(a) She is trying to manage her anger.
(b) He likes the new jail too much.
(c) They are in couples therapy.
(d) He is not worth the effort.
11. Why does Guy not use his mechanical abilities on the machines in the canneries?
(a) Guy never shows up on time.
(b) Guy is too shy to ask for work.
(c) The owners are too cheap to hire him.
(d) Guy has a bad temper.
12. What are Mack and his boys considered to be in Monterey?
(a) Criminals looking for their next crime
(b) Good guys who just ran out of luck
(c) Just plain bums
(d) Virtues, Graces and Beauties
13. What happens when Lee's car refuses to go any further without a new needle valve?
(a) Mack knows a friend who can help them.
(b) The boys hitchhike to where they are going.
(c) Gay knows of a good junkyard and gets what he needs there.
(d) Gay sets off to find one and disappears for 180 days.
14. How much rent money comes in to Lee?
15. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
(a) Huevos Cannery
(b) Hola Cannery
(c) Hediondo Cannery
(d) Hacienda Cannery
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Doc as Doc is organizing his recently collected starfish?
2. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
3. What does Frankie eventually do for Doc?
4. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
5. Why does Lee make the decision he does about the building?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)