|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc authorize for Mack's job assignment?
(a) Overnight accommodations
(b) Payment for mileage
(c) A per diem
(d) A gas voucher
2. Why does Doc go to La Jolla?
(a) To see his girlfriend
(b) To collect octopi
(c) To pick up a friend at the station
(d) To return some books
3. Who are Mack's boys?
(a) Hazel, Eddie, Huey and Jones
(b) Hazel, Freddie, Hughie and Jones
(c) Hazel, Eddie, Hughie and James
(d) Hazel, Eddie, Hughie and Jones
4. What does Mack do to separate space for the residents of the Palace?
(a) Builds temporary walls
(b) Puts up paper screens
(c) Draws chalk lines on the floor
(d) Puts up crates
5. Who is the child who sees something mysterious in the old Chinaman's eyes?
6. Who is the newest resident of the Palace?
7. What is the business of Western Biological Laboratories?
(a) A storage area and laboratory of marine creatures
(b) A museum of western life
(c) A research facility for desert life
(d) A facility for Pacific Ocean maritime history
8. How long does it take eleven-year-old Frankie to enter Doc's lab and speak to Doc?
(a) Three months
(b) Three weeks
(c) Three years
(d) Three days
9. As a businessman, Lee is __________________________.
(a) careless and broke
(b) prosperous and respected
(c) conniving and not respected
(d) frugal and watchful
10. Where do Mack and the boys get jobs during Christmas seasons?
(a) Hediondo Cannery
(b) Huevos Cannery
(c) Hacienda Cannery
(d) Hola Cannery
11. Why does Mack awaken the boys early?
(a) To go dumpster diving.
(b) To get ready for Doc's party.
(c) To hitchhike to La Jolla.
(d) To help Guy work on Lee's truck.
12. Who has given Mack and his boys the ability to survive?
(a) Art father who are in heaven
(b) The father of all nations
(c) Howard be thy name
(d) Our father who art in nature
13. Who visits Doc as Doc is organizing his recently collected starfish?
14. Over the years, what does Doc become for Cannery Row?
(a) A councilman
(b) A cultural presence
(c) A major employer
(d) A philanthropist
15. How has Dora managed to stay in business for so many years?
(a) Unlimited customer service guarantee
(b) Giving generously to every charity that asks
(c) Making the best Margaritas in the state
(d) Serving the best sandwiches in town
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some say the old Chinaman is?
2. What happens to Dora during the Depression?
3. What do the boys want to load up on for the trip?
4. What does Lee lend to Mack's job assignment?
5. Why is Hazel, a man, given a female name?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)