|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's relation to the theater manager?
2. What is the best description of the storm in "Storm Ending"?
3. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
4. Who is the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
5. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Cane," Jean Toomer uses descriptions of nature. Compare and contrast examples of both the beauty and destruction of nature, finding three examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Childbirth is a recurring event in "Cane." Discuss how pregnancy and childbirth are viewed by the communities presented in "Cane". How are children treated? How are mothers treated? What situations do we see that are similar, and how are they resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Temptation and the wrath of God are common themes examined in "Cane". Using at least three examples, where do we see these themes playing out? What are characters tempted by, and how do they deal with these temptations? What is the anticipated or seen reaction of God?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)