|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Avey's profession?
2. At what age, do we find the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
3. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
4. What is the physical stature of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
5. How does Avey initially feel about the speaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Cane," we see examples of both technology and nature. Where do we see both taking place? How are they portrayed? Does Toomer present one in a positive or negative light? Why might the comparison be made? Are they representative of anything?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Cane," the reader is shown men in danger of temptation. By what are these men tempted? How do they give into or resist this temptation? What are the potential benefits or consequences of this temptation? What might we infer Toomer is trying to say about temptation?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love is often explored in "Cane". Write an essay using at least three examples answering the following: Where do we see love depicted in "Cane"? Who is the love shared by? Rejected by? How are these stories different? Similar?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)