Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog go at night in "Calling Jesus"?
2. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
3. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
4. What event has just happened preceding the descriptions in "Seventh Street"?
5. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
Toomer includes many examples of interracial relationships within "Cane." Using at least two examples, discuss the author's feelings on said relationships. How are interracial couples treated at the time by society? What adversities do they face, and how do they deal with these?
The plight of the Black male is examined extensively within the pages of "Cane". Using at least three characters, discuss how Toomer uses individuals' stories to look at the issue of what it means to be a Black man. How are these characters expected to act? Toward women? Toward work? Toward spirituality? How do the characters deal with these expectations?
The African-American experience in post-slavery America is the foundation upon which "Cane" is built. What are common experiences of Black Americans in "Cane"? How are these influenced by America's slave past? How are they the same? Different? What does this say about the progression (or lack thereof) of America as a society?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)