|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will those in attendance at Rhobert's funeral remember him?
2. What is the hair of the woman described compared to in "Portrait in Georgia"?
3. What does Helen think are Bona's feelings toward Paul?
4. Seventh Street is located in which city?
5. Where are Muriel, Bernice, and Dan going to see the show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Cane," we are given examples of metaphorical imagery. Using examples from the text, detail the author's use of metaphor as a means to purvey the pain and sorrow of the African-American experience in the South.
Essay Topic 2
The redemptive nature of Christianity is a major theme in "Cane". How do we see redemption being played out in both the stories and poems of "Cane"? From what and how are characters redeemed? Is the God that Toomer presents a vengeful or forgiving God?
Essay Topic 3
The intersection of Black and white society in the early twentieth century is discussed thoroughly in "Cane". Where do we see this intersection? How does it affect the daily lives of those belonging to each community? Are the interactions wrought of this intersection positive or negative? What might the author be attempting to say about Black/white relations?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)