|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker say is lacking in Avey and his encounters?
2. In "Portrait in Georgia", of what does the breath of the woman described breath smell?
3. At what age, do we find the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
4. How will those in attendance at Rhobert's funeral remember him?
5. What does the author visually contrast with the whitewashed streets of Washington in "Seventh Street"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toomer includes many examples of interracial relationships within "Cane." Using at least two examples, discuss the author's feelings on said relationships. How are interracial couples treated at the time by society? What adversities do they face, and how do they deal with these?
Essay Topic 2
In sections one and two of "Cane," we see a significant shift from viewing the experience of the rural African American to the urban African American. Compare and contrast the experience for rural and urban African Americans as depicted in "Cane".
Essay Topic 3
Women play a huge role in Jean Toomer's "Cane". How are they depicted? Does Toomer seem to respect or disrespect women? Which characters do we see supporting this assertion?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)