|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the honey of the beehive against the black night sky?
2. Who does Dan compare himself to when he makes the exclamation in the theater?
3. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
4. What is the overall appearance of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
5. Who brags about his knowledge of women and that he could "get" Avey if he wanted to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Cane," we see examples of both technology and nature. Where do we see both taking place? How are they portrayed? Does Toomer present one in a positive or negative light? Why might the comparison be made? Are they representative of anything?
Essay Topic 2
Ostracization is a key theme in Jean Toomer's "Cane". Using at lease three chapters, discuss the theme and how it is executed. Whom do we see ostracized and by whom? How is it being done? Is this a reflection of society or an individual act?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Cane," the reader is shown men in danger of temptation. By what are these men tempted? How do they give into or resist this temptation? What are the potential benefits or consequences of this temptation? What might we infer Toomer is trying to say about temptation?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)