|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
2. At what age, do we find the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
3. Although his body is weak, how is the speaker's soul described in "Prayer"?
4. What does the speaker in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" say to the woman of whom he speaks?
5. At what age does the speaker begin to tell the story of Avey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of "Cane" deals with race relations and the Black/white divide, but there are also many examples of segmentation within the Black community. Where do we see this happening in the book? Which characters experience being singled out or discriminated upon because of their skin tone? Who is doing this to them? How are their experiences similar/different?
Essay Topic 2
Childbirth is a recurring event in "Cane." Discuss how pregnancy and childbirth are viewed by the communities presented in "Cane". How are children treated? How are mothers treated? What situations do we see that are similar, and how are they resolved?
Essay Topic 3
The intersection of Black and white society in the early twentieth century is discussed thoroughly in "Cane". Where do we see this intersection? How does it affect the daily lives of those belonging to each community? Are the interactions wrought of this intersection positive or negative? What might the author be attempting to say about Black/white relations?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)