|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog go at night in "Calling Jesus"?
2. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
3. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
4. What event has just happened preceding the descriptions in "Seventh Street"?
5. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
Essay Topic 1
The plight of the Black male is examined extensively within the pages of "Cane". Using at least three characters, discuss how Toomer uses individuals' stories to look at the issue of what it means to be a Black man. How are these characters expected to act? Toward women? Toward work? Toward spirituality? How do the characters deal with these expectations?
Essay Topic 2
Women play a huge role in Jean Toomer's "Cane". How are they depicted? Does Toomer seem to respect or disrespect women? Which characters do we see supporting this assertion?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love is often explored in "Cane". Write an essay using at least three examples answering the following: Where do we see love depicted in "Cane"? Who is the love shared by? Rejected by? How are these stories different? Similar?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)