Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog go at night in "Calling Jesus"?
2. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
3. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
4. What event has just happened preceding the descriptions in "Seventh Street"?
5. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
Essay Topic 1
Doubt in relationships plays a large role in character development in "Cane". Where do we see doubt taking place? Whom or what is being doubted? How does the author portray this to the reader, and in what ways is it effective? What does this doubt mean in the larger societal context?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the racially charged "Cane," we see depictions of white men. How are they shown? In what ways do they interact with the Black community? How do they deal with racial stratification?
Essay Topic 3
The African-American experience in post-slavery America is the foundation upon which "Cane" is built. What are common experiences of Black Americans in "Cane"? How are these influenced by America's slave past? How are they the same? Different? What does this say about the progression (or lack thereof) of America as a society?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)