|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wish is expressed by the speaker in "Beehive"?
2. Who does Dan compare himself to when he makes the exclamation in the theater?
3. In what game do Bona and Paul touch?
4. In "Storm Ending", to what is the thunder compared?
5. Which law is referenced as affecting Seventh Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories written about theaters ("Box Seat" and Theater"). How are the characters in the stories similar/different? What does the theater represent in each?
Essay Topic 2
The plight of the Black male is examined extensively within the pages of "Cane". Using at least three characters, discuss how Toomer uses individuals' stories to look at the issue of what it means to be a Black man. How are these characters expected to act? Toward women? Toward work? Toward spirituality? How do the characters deal with these expectations?
Essay Topic 3
In sections one and two of "Cane," we see a significant shift from viewing the experience of the rural African American to the urban African American. Compare and contrast the experience for rural and urban African Americans as depicted in "Cane".
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)