|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age, do we find the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
2. "Prayer" deals with the thematic tug and pull between what two issues?
3. What does Dan tell Muriel about love?
4. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
5. How does Dorris describe John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love is often explored in "Cane". Write an essay using at least three examples answering the following: Where do we see love depicted in "Cane"? Who is the love shared by? Rejected by? How are these stories different? Similar?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Cane," Jean Toomer uses descriptions of nature. Compare and contrast examples of both the beauty and destruction of nature, finding three examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Doubt in relationships plays a large role in character development in "Cane". Where do we see doubt taking place? Whom or what is being doubted? How does the author portray this to the reader, and in what ways is it effective? What does this doubt mean in the larger societal context?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)