|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Beehive", where does the Earth fit into the universal honeycomb?
2. How does Rhobert feel about his family?
3. Although his body is weak, how is the speaker's soul described in "Prayer"?
4. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
5. Who is the piano player in the theater that Muriel and Dan go to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The intersection of Black and white society in the early twentieth century is discussed thoroughly in "Cane". Where do we see this intersection? How does it affect the daily lives of those belonging to each community? Are the interactions wrought of this intersection positive or negative? What might the author be attempting to say about Black/white relations?
Essay Topic 2
Childbirth is a recurring event in "Cane." Discuss how pregnancy and childbirth are viewed by the communities presented in "Cane". How are children treated? How are mothers treated? What situations do we see that are similar, and how are they resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories written about theaters ("Box Seat" and Theater"). How are the characters in the stories similar/different? What does the theater represent in each?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)