|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the body and mind described in "Prayer"?
2. Where would the drone bee optimally be if he were not in the beehive?
3. "Prayer" deals with the thematic tug and pull between what two issues?
4. In "Calling Jesus," when does the dog of the woman described nuzzle up to the speaker?
5. What event has just happened preceding the descriptions in "Seventh Street"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doubt in relationships plays a large role in character development in "Cane". Where do we see doubt taking place? Whom or what is being doubted? How does the author portray this to the reader, and in what ways is it effective? What does this doubt mean in the larger societal context?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Cane," we are given examples of metaphorical imagery. Using examples from the text, detail the author's use of metaphor as a means to purvey the pain and sorrow of the African-American experience in the South.
Essay Topic 3
Toomer includes many examples of interracial relationships within "Cane." Using at least two examples, discuss the author's feelings on said relationships. How are interracial couples treated at the time by society? What adversities do they face, and how do they deal with these?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)