|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
2. Who is the piano player in the theater that Muriel and Dan go to?
3. What is the physical stature of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
4. What is the overall physical state of the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
5. What is Tom's reaction when men mention Louisa and Bob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The African-American experience in post-slavery America is the foundation upon which "Cane" is built. What are common experiences of Black Americans in "Cane"? How are these influenced by America's slave past? How are they the same? Different? What does this say about the progression (or lack thereof) of America as a society?
Essay Topic 2
The redemptive nature of Christianity is a major theme in "Cane". How do we see redemption being played out in both the stories and poems of "Cane"? From what and how are characters redeemed? Is the God that Toomer presents a vengeful or forgiving God?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Cane," the reader is shown men in danger of temptation. By what are these men tempted? How do they give into or resist this temptation? What are the potential benefits or consequences of this temptation? What might we infer Toomer is trying to say about temptation?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)