|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Calling Jesus," when does the dog of the woman described nuzzle up to the speaker?
2. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
3. At what point does the woman's soul leave her in "Calling Jesus"?
4. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
5. In what city does Paul live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doubt in relationships plays a large role in character development in "Cane". Where do we see doubt taking place? Whom or what is being doubted? How does the author portray this to the reader, and in what ways is it effective? What does this doubt mean in the larger societal context?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first section of the book, Toomer goes to great lengths to describe the Georgian landscape. How is the land physically described? What attributes does Toomer attribute to both the land and its people? How do we see these reflected in the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the racially charged "Cane," we see depictions of white men. How are they shown? In what ways do they interact with the Black community? How do they deal with racial stratification?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)