|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the keeper of the boarding house in which Muriel lives?
2. How will those in attendance at Rhobert's funeral remember him?
3. Whom does Rhobert leave behind when he dies?
4. What type of bee is the speaker in "Beehive"?
5. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories written about theaters ("Box Seat" and Theater"). How are the characters in the stories similar/different? What does the theater represent in each?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first section of the book, Toomer goes to great lengths to describe the Georgian landscape. How is the land physically described? What attributes does Toomer attribute to both the land and its people? How do we see these reflected in the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Toomer includes many examples of interracial relationships within "Cane." Using at least two examples, discuss the author's feelings on said relationships. How are interracial couples treated at the time by society? What adversities do they face, and how do they deal with these?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)