|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the speaker's feeling overpower in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
2. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
3. How does Dorris describe John?
4. What does the speaker in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" say to the woman of whom he speaks?
5. In what is Rhobert sinking?
Essay Topic 1
Childbirth is a recurring event in "Cane." Discuss how pregnancy and childbirth are viewed by the communities presented in "Cane". How are children treated? How are mothers treated? What situations do we see that are similar, and how are they resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Temptation and the wrath of God are common themes examined in "Cane". Using at least three examples, where do we see these themes playing out? What are characters tempted by, and how do they deal with these temptations? What is the anticipated or seen reaction of God?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the racially charged "Cane," we see depictions of white men. How are they shown? In what ways do they interact with the Black community? How do they deal with racial stratification?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)