|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen think are Bona's feelings toward Paul?
2. Who lives on Seventh Street?
3. What color is the honey of the beehive against the black night sky?
4. Washington is described as primarily what ethnic make-up?
5. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In sections one and two of "Cane," we see a significant shift from viewing the experience of the rural African American to the urban African American. Compare and contrast the experience for rural and urban African Americans as depicted in "Cane".
Essay Topic 2
In "Cane," we see examples of both technology and nature. Where do we see both taking place? How are they portrayed? Does Toomer present one in a positive or negative light? Why might the comparison be made? Are they representative of anything?
Essay Topic 3
The intersection of Black and white society in the early twentieth century is discussed thoroughly in "Cane". Where do we see this intersection? How does it affect the daily lives of those belonging to each community? Are the interactions wrought of this intersection positive or negative? What might the author be attempting to say about Black/white relations?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)