|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bee is the speaker in "Beehive"?
2. What is Tom's reaction when men mention Louisa and Bob?
3. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
4. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
5. What is the hair of the woman described compared to in "Portrait in Georgia"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Cane," Jean Toomer uses descriptions of nature. Compare and contrast examples of both the beauty and destruction of nature, finding three examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Doubt in relationships plays a large role in character development in "Cane". Where do we see doubt taking place? Whom or what is being doubted? How does the author portray this to the reader, and in what ways is it effective? What does this doubt mean in the larger societal context?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Cane," the reader is shown men in danger of temptation. By what are these men tempted? How do they give into or resist this temptation? What are the potential benefits or consequences of this temptation? What might we infer Toomer is trying to say about temptation?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)