|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
2. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
3. How does Karintha express her anger?
4. How are the eyebrows of the old woman described in "Face" shaped?
5. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe both the African and Christian God in "Conversion"?
2. How is Becky treated after it is found that she is pregnant with a black man's child?
3. What was the physical effect on the land of the boll weevil infestation?
4. What does the speaker ultimately decide to do about his hunger in "Harvest Song"?
5. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
6. Why won't Muriel go with Dan?
7. Describe the procession of men leaving work as told in "Georgia Dusk."
8. How does the narrator describe Carma?
9. What prevents the speaker from connecting with those around him in "Harvest Song"?
10. Discuss the visual and social contrasts that the author sets up between Black Seventh Street and the rest of white Washington.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women play a huge role in Jean Toomer's "Cane". How are they depicted? Does Toomer seem to respect or disrespect women? Which characters do we see supporting this assertion?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Cane," we are given examples of metaphorical imagery. Using examples from the text, detail the author's use of metaphor as a means to purvey the pain and sorrow of the African-American experience in the South.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories written about theaters ("Box Seat" and Theater"). How are the characters in the stories similar/different? What does the theater represent in each?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)