Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
2. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
3. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
4. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
5. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rhobert feel about his personal struggles affecting his family?
2. How does Cloine relate physically to the speaker's emotions in "Evening Song"?
3. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
4. According to the poem "Cotton Song," what must a man do in order to be judged kindly on Judgment Day?
5. What does Paul want from Bona?
6. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
7. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
8. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
9. How does the author describe both the African and Christian God in "Conversion"?
10. How is the sound of the storm described in "Storm Ending"?
Essay Topic 1
Ostracization is a key theme in Jean Toomer's "Cane". Using at lease three chapters, discuss the theme and how it is executed. Whom do we see ostracized and by whom? How is it being done? Is this a reflection of society or an individual act?
Essay Topic 2
In sections one and two of "Cane," we see a significant shift from viewing the experience of the rural African American to the urban African American. Compare and contrast the experience for rural and urban African Americans as depicted in "Cane".
Essay Topic 3
Much of "Cane" deals with race relations and the Black/white divide, but there are also many examples of segmentation within the Black community. Where do we see this happening in the book? Which characters experience being singled out or discriminated upon because of their skin tone? Who is doing this to them? How are their experiences similar/different?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)