|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
2. How many sons did Becky have?
3. How does Fern feel about the townspeople gossiping about her?
4. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
5. What did Carma shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
2. What differences do we see between Kabnis and Lewis?
3. Why might Toomer have chosen to end with the image of light upon Father John and Carrie?
4. How does Dorris feel about the theater manager's brother, John?
5. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
6. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
7. How does the narrator describe Carma?
8. What is Bob Stone's prime objection to a relationship between Louisa and Tom?
9. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
10. What effect does the honey have on the drones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of "Cane" deals with race relations and the Black/white divide, but there are also many examples of segmentation within the Black community. Where do we see this happening in the book? Which characters experience being singled out or discriminated upon because of their skin tone? Who is doing this to them? How are their experiences similar/different?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love is often explored in "Cane". Write an essay using at least three examples answering the following: Where do we see love depicted in "Cane"? Who is the love shared by? Rejected by? How are these stories different? Similar?
Essay Topic 3
The redemptive nature of Christianity is a major theme in "Cane". How do we see redemption being played out in both the stories and poems of "Cane"? From what and how are characters redeemed? Is the God that Toomer presents a vengeful or forgiving God?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)