|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the boll weevil infestation, where was there no water?
2. Where was the cotton song sung?
3. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
4. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
5. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Toomer have used the voice of the cotton picker?
2. Why does the speaker refer to Avey as a cow?
3. What differences do we see between Kabnis and Lewis?
4. What seems to be the overall emotional impression of the woman described in "Face"?
5. Given the content of the poem "Conversion," how might the author feel about the process of conversion?
6. How is Becky treated after it is found that she is pregnant with a black man's child?
7. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
8. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
9. Why might the author have chosen to describe Cloine while sleeping in "Evening Song"?
10. What does the house upon Rhobert's head represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first section of the book, Toomer goes to great lengths to describe the Georgian landscape. How is the land physically described? What attributes does Toomer attribute to both the land and its people? How do we see these reflected in the characters?
Essay Topic 2
In "Cane," we see examples of both technology and nature. Where do we see both taking place? How are they portrayed? Does Toomer present one in a positive or negative light? Why might the comparison be made? Are they representative of anything?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love is often explored in "Cane". Write an essay using at least three examples answering the following: Where do we see love depicted in "Cane"? Who is the love shared by? Rejected by? How are these stories different? Similar?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)