|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
2. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
3. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
4. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
5. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rhobert feel about his personal struggles affecting his family?
2. How does Cloine relate physically to the speaker's emotions in "Evening Song"?
3. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
4. According to the poem "Cotton Song," what must a man do in order to be judged kindly on Judgment Day?
5. What does Paul want from Bona?
6. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
7. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
8. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
9. How does the author describe both the African and Christian God in "Conversion"?
10. How is the sound of the storm described in "Storm Ending"?
Essay Topic 1
In "Cane," we see examples of both technology and nature. Where do we see both taking place? How are they portrayed? Does Toomer present one in a positive or negative light? Why might the comparison be made? Are they representative of anything?
Essay Topic 2
Ostracization is a key theme in Jean Toomer's "Cane". Using at lease three chapters, discuss the theme and how it is executed. Whom do we see ostracized and by whom? How is it being done? Is this a reflection of society or an individual act?
Essay Topic 3
Temptation and the wrath of God are common themes examined in "Cane". Using at least three examples, where do we see these themes playing out? What are characters tempted by, and how do they deal with these temptations? What is the anticipated or seen reaction of God?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)