|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) The hard ground.
(b) A stone.
(c) A rippling river.
(d) A cluster of grapes.
2. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) The preacher's voice.
(b) God's voice.
(c) The cotton picker's voice.
(d) The plantation manager's voice.
3. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(b) He thinks that it is good work.
(c) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(d) He thinks it is an abomination.
4. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
(a) A dastardly debacle.
(b) The finest love story.
(c) The crudest melodrama.
(d) The saddest tragedy.
5. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the eyebrows of the old woman described in "Face" shaped?
2. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
3. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
4. Why did Carma take a lover?
5. With what does the poem "Nullo" primarily deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
2. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
3. How does the narrator describe Carma?
4. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
5. What was the physical effect on the land of the boll weevil infestation?
6. What is Bob Stone's prime objection to a relationship between Louisa and Tom?
7. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
8. How has Avey been living when the speaker encounters her in New York, and how do we know?
9. In the poem "Seventh Street," how has prohibition affected the Black residents of Washington, D.C.?
10. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)