|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(c) Leather shoes.
(d) No shoes.
2. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
3. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The bakery.
(b) The sawmill.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton plant.
4. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
5. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
(d) The body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
2. Where was the cotton song sung?
3. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
4. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
5. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences do we see between Kabnis and Lewis?
2. What prevents the speaker from connecting with those around him in "Harvest Song"?
3. How does Dorris feel about the theater manager's brother, John?
4. What is Bob Stone's prime objection to a relationship between Louisa and Tom?
5. What does the speaker want the woman to do in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
6. Describe the procession of men leaving work as told in "Georgia Dusk."
7. Describe Muriel's physical appearance at the theater.
8. Why might Toomer have chosen to use the comparative descriptor of a flower when detailing the storm in "Storm Ending"?
9. What effect does the smoke have on Karintha's surroundings the day that she gives birth to her child?
10. How has Avey been living when the speaker encounters her in New York, and how do we know?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)