|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the speaker and Fern when they are together in the cornfield?
(a) Fern faints and begins to convulse.
(b) They make love.
(c) The speaker attacks Fern as the townspeople look on.
(d) Fern begins to undress.
2. What did Karintha do as a child?
(a) Loved to read.
(b) Danced with older boys.
(c) Gossiped about her peers.
(d) Played baseball.
3. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
4. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The sawmill.
(b) The cotton plant.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The factory.
5. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
2. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
3. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
4. What religion do those being converted now belong to in "Conversion"?
5. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Muriel go with Dan?
2. Given the content of the poem "Conversion," how might the author feel about the process of conversion?
3. How is Becky treated after it is found that she is pregnant with a black man's child?
4. Why might Toomer have chosen to end with the image of light upon Father John and Carrie?
5. According to Helen, why are girls fascinated with Paul?
6. How does the narrator describe Carma?
7. Given the imagery in the poem "Portrait in Georgia", how might the author view the position of black Georgian residents?
8. Why might the author have used electrical imagery to describe the woman in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
9. What effect does the honey have on the drones?
10. Why might the author have used the little finger as a metaphor for his entire body in "Prayer"?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)