|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal has been walking in the forest as evidenced by imprints in "Nullo"?
2. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is elderly.
(b) When Karintha is a child.
(c) When Karintha is 12.
(d) When Karintha is a woman.
3. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) An angel child.
(b) A churchgoer.
(c) A field worker.
(d) A Jewish cantor.
4. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
(a) That she and Barlo own it.
(b) That it is broken into.
(c) That it crumbles to the ground.
(d) That it is on fire.
5. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
Short Answer Questions
1. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
2. "Georgia Dusk" discusses what time of day?
3. How does the woman personified with the face seem to be?
4. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
5. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Helen, why are girls fascinated with Paul?
2. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
3. How does the narrator describe Carma?
4. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
5. Why might Toomer have used the voice of the cotton picker?
6. Given the content of the poem "Conversion," how might the author feel about the process of conversion?
7. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
8. How has Avey been living when the speaker encounters her in New York, and how do we know?
9. What is Bob Stone's prime objection to a relationship between Louisa and Tom?
10. Why might Toomer have chosen to use the comparative descriptor of a flower when detailing the storm in "Storm Ending"?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)