|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the text, how many rooms do typical homes in Georgia have?
2. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) A Jewish cantor.
(b) An angel child.
(c) A churchgoer.
(d) A field worker.
3. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
4. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
5. What kind of songs are being sung in the cotton fields by field workers in "Georgia Dusk"?
(a) Field songs.
(b) Church songs.
(c) Folk songs.
(d) Blues songs.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
2. What is the main fault of the Christian god in "Conversion"?
3. How is the weather in Georgia in November?
4. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
5. What does Cloine do while the speaker observes her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Barlo's reaction to Esther when she is 29 and comes for him?
2. What effect does the honey have on the drones?
3. Why might the author use the formatting device of scripting the characters' thoughts in "Theater"?
4. According to Helen, why are girls fascinated with Paul?
5. Why might Toomer have chosen to use the comparative descriptor of a flower when detailing the storm in "Storm Ending"?
6. How is the sound of the storm described in "Storm Ending"?
7. Discuss the visual and social contrasts that the author sets up between Black Seventh Street and the rest of white Washington.
8. What does the speaker want the woman to do in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
9. Why might the author have used the little finger as a metaphor for his entire body in "Prayer"?
10. What does the fieldmouse represent in the poem, "Reapers"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)