Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
(b) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(c) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(d) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
2. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
3. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She is disgusted by him.
(c) She is dependent upon him.
(d) She hates him.
4. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
5. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The factory.
(b) The cotton plant.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) The bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the speaker compare another birth in the family line in "Song of the Son"?
2. What animal dies in the field under the blades of the mower in "Reapers"?
3. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
4. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
5. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rhobert feel about his personal struggles affecting his family?
2. How does Cloine relate physically to the speaker's emotions in "Evening Song"?
3. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
4. According to the poem "Cotton Song," what must a man do in order to be judged kindly on Judgment Day?
5. What does Paul want from Bona?
6. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
7. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
8. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
9. How does the author describe both the African and Christian God in "Conversion"?
10. How is the sound of the storm described in "Storm Ending"?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)