|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her lips.
2. Where was Becky's house?
(a) In a forest.
(b) In the center of town.
(c) Next to the railroad tracks.
(d) On a farm.
3. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
(b) The body.
4. How is the soil described in "Song of the Son"?
5. What specifically is stated as not happening in the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) It is not raining.
(b) It is not windy.
(c) There are no people.
(d) It is not on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the townspeople secretly bring Becky?
2. How do the men in Fern's city feel about her after the narrator begins to pay her attention?
3. What did Carma shoot?
4. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
5. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sounds can be heard at dusk in "Georgia Dusk"?
2. How does Becky survive without the ability to work on her own?
3. Why might the author have chosen to describe Cloine while sleeping in "Evening Song"?
4. Discuss the visual and social contrasts that the author sets up between Black Seventh Street and the rest of white Washington.
5. What is the purpose of the "Song of the Son"?
6. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
7. How does Rhobert feel about his personal struggles affecting his family?
8. In the poem "Seventh Street," how has prohibition affected the Black residents of Washington, D.C.?
9. Why might the author choose to describe the pine forest in "Nullo"?
10. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)