|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the eyebrows of the old woman described in "Face" shaped?
2. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
(a) That it is on fire.
(b) That it is broken into.
(c) That she and Barlo own it.
(d) That it crumbles to the ground.
3. What animal has been walking in the forest as evidenced by imprints in "Nullo"?
4. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
5. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She didn't take a lover.
(b) She was bored.
(c) She wanted attention.
(d) She hated Bane.
Short Answer Questions
1. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
2. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
3. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
4. How many times has Karintha been married?
5. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the author use the formatting device of scripting the characters' thoughts in "Theater"?
2. Describe the procession of men leaving work as told in "Georgia Dusk."
3. How does Louisa feel about Tom Burwell and Bob Stone?
4. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
5. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
6. How is Becky treated after it is found that she is pregnant with a black man's child?
7. How has Avey been living when the speaker encounters her in New York, and how do we know?
8. Describe Muriel's physical appearance at the theater.
9. What is Bob Stone's prime objection to a relationship between Louisa and Tom?
10. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)