|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) A field worker.
(b) A churchgoer.
(c) An angel child.
(d) A Jewish cantor.
2. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) The townspeople.
(c) Only the speaker.
3. "Georgia Dusk" discusses what time of day?
(a) Late night.
4. What did Carma shoot?
(b) A deer.
5. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
(a) The stars.
(b) The sun.
(c) The Earth.
(d) The moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman described in "Face" doing?
2. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
3. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
4. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
5. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sounds can be heard at dusk in "Georgia Dusk"?
2. What does Fern do with her days?
3. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
4. How does Cloine relate physically to the speaker's emotions in "Evening Song"?
5. Discuss the visual and social contrasts that the author sets up between Black Seventh Street and the rest of white Washington.
6. Why won't Muriel go with Dan?
7. What prevents the speaker from connecting with those around him in "Harvest Song"?
8. What does the speaker ultimately decide to do about his hunger in "Harvest Song"?
9. Why might the author use the formatting device of scripting the characters' thoughts in "Theater"?
10. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)