|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She was bored.
(b) She wanted attention.
(c) She hated Bane.
(d) She didn't take a lover.
2. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She has contempt for them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She needs them.
(d) She fears them.
3. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(c) Judgment Day.
4. Where was Becky's house?
(a) In the center of town.
(b) In a forest.
(c) On a farm.
(d) Next to the railroad tracks.
5. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) God's voice.
(b) The preacher's voice.
(c) The cotton picker's voice.
(d) The plantation manager's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals were described as searching for water?
2. How is Carma described?
3. "Georgia Dusk" discusses what time of day?
4. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
5. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the speaker hope might come of slavery in "Song of the Son"?
2. Why might Toomer have chosen to end with the image of light upon Father John and Carrie?
3. What effect does the honey have on the drones?
4. How is Becky treated after it is found that she is pregnant with a black man's child?
5. Why might Toomer have chosen to use the comparative descriptor of a flower when detailing the storm in "Storm Ending"?
6. Why might the author choose to describe the pine forest in "Nullo"?
7. How does the author describe the forest in "Nullo"?
8. What sounds can be heard at dusk in "Georgia Dusk"?
9. What does the house upon Rhobert's head represent?
10. What references to the black slave experience do we see in "Portrait in Georgia"?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)