|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
2. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She is disgusted by him.
(c) She is dependent upon him.
(d) She hates him.
3. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) Pine needles.
(b) An old blanket.
(c) A grassy field.
(d) A wooden floor.
4. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
5. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
(a) Absolution of sins.
(b) Eternal food.
(c) Entrance into heaven.
(d) Freedom from slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
2. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
3. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
4. Where was the cotton song sung?
5. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the author choose to describe the pine forest in "Nullo"?
2. What does the fieldmouse represent in the poem, "Reapers"?
3. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
4. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
5. How has Avey been living when the speaker encounters her in New York, and how do we know?
6. How does Louisa feel about Tom Burwell and Bob Stone?
7. Given the content of the poem "Conversion," how might the author feel about the process of conversion?
8. What is Barlo's reaction to Esther when she is 29 and comes for him?
9. According to Helen, why are girls fascinated with Paul?
10. Why might the author choose to use a dog as a metaphor for the soul in "Calling Jesus"?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)