|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
2. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They use them as tools.
(b) They attach to them.
(c) They sharpen them.
(d) They cut with them.
3. Of what are scythes made?
4. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is elderly.
(b) When Karintha is a woman.
(c) When Karintha is 12.
(d) When Karintha is a child.
5. After her first baby was born, how did the townspeople react towards Becky?
(a) They adopted the child.
(b) They shunned Becky.
(c) They offered assistance to Becky.
(d) They threw Becky a baby shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "son" in the "Song of the Son"?
2. How have the woman's wrinkles described in "Face" been made?
3. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
4. How many times has Karintha been married?
5. Which alcohol does the African god drink in "Conversion"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the poem "Seventh Street," how has prohibition affected the Black residents of Washington, D.C.?
2. Why might Toomer have chosen to use the comparative descriptor of a flower when detailing the storm in "Storm Ending"?
3. Discuss the visual and social contrasts that the author sets up between Black Seventh Street and the rest of white Washington.
4. Why might Toomer have chosen to end with the image of light upon Father John and Carrie?
5. Does the narrator appear to place blame on Bane for cutting the men?
6. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
7. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
8. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
9. How does the author describe the forest in "Nullo"?
10. Why might the author choose to describe the pine forest in "Nullo"?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)