|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She has contempt for them.
(b) She fears them.
(c) She loves them.
(d) She needs them.
2. Of what are scythes made?
3. What did Karintha do as a child?
(a) Gossiped about her peers.
(b) Played baseball.
(c) Danced with older boys.
(d) Loved to read.
4. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is a child.
(b) When Karintha is 12.
(c) When Karintha is elderly.
(d) When Karintha is a woman.
5. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(d) Judgment Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the speaker compare another birth in the family line in "Song of the Son"?
2. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
3. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
4. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
5. What do the cotton pickers wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Toomer have chosen to end with the image of light upon Father John and Carrie?
2. What does the house upon Rhobert's head represent?
3. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
4. When Esther is nine, she witnesses Barlo making a public speech about what?
5. How does the narrator describe Carma?
6. Describe the procession of men leaving work as told in "Georgia Dusk."
7. What does Paul want from Bona?
8. How do men react after being rejected by Fern?
9. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
10. Why does the speaker refer to Avey as a cow?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)