|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the hair of the old woman described in "Face"?
(a) Sunny blond.
(b) Jet black.
(c) Earth brown.
(d) Silver gray.
2. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) Sweet as nectar.
(b) A river of chocolate.
(c) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(d) The color of newly plowed earth.
3. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(b) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(c) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(d) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
4. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
(a) The stars.
(b) The moon.
(c) The Earth.
(d) The sun.
5. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karintha express her anger?
2. What did Karintha do as a child?
3. What animal dies in the field under the blades of the mower in "Reapers"?
4. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
5. What specifically is stated as not happening in the forest in "Nullo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What references to the black slave experience do we see in "Portrait in Georgia"?
2. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
3. How is Christ described in "Calling Jesus"?
4. How does Dorris feel about the theater manager's brother, John?
5. What is Barlo's reaction to Esther when she is 29 and comes for him?
6. What does the fieldmouse represent in the poem, "Reapers"?
7. How does Cloine relate physically to the speaker's emotions in "Evening Song"?
8. How does Louisa feel about Tom Burwell and Bob Stone?
9. What does Paul want from Bona?
10. How is the beehive described in "Beehive"?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)