|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the keeper of the boarding house in which Muriel lives?
(a) Mrs. Pribby.
(b) Kate Flannery.
(c) Mrs. Peabody.
(d) Lauryl Hawkins.
2. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
(a) His thighs.
(b) His head.
(c) A pile of oats.
(d) The ground.
3. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
4. What is Tom's reaction when men mention Louisa and Bob?
(a) He becomes violent.
(b) He becomes paranoid.
(c) He escapes to the woods.
(d) He begins to cry.
5. What does Rhobert wear upon his head?
(a) A hat.
(b) A shoe.
(d) A house.
6. Which field worker in "Blood-Burning Mood" is in love with Louisa?
(a) Ike Turnwell.
(b) Cal Storm.
(c) Tom Burwell.
(d) Philip Poyer.
7. Why are Rhobert's legs bowed?
(a) His bones did not form correctly.
(b) He had rickets as a child.
(c) He is burdened with the weight of the world.
(d) He was beaten as a child.
8. Who can save the woman described in "Calling Jesus"?
(a) Her family.
(d) The speaker.
9. What effect does Dorris have on those around her?
(a) She enrages her mother.
(b) She enthuses the dancers.
(c) She makes the dancers jealous.
(d) She drives men away.
10. In what is Rhobert sinking?
(c) Swamp water.
11. Which part of the speaker does he feel is most easily nourished in "Prayer"?
(a) His soul.
(b) His heart.
(c) His mind.
(d) His body.
12. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
(a) They do not like him.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He cannot speak.
(d) He is afraid.
13. What part of the street does the speaker use in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" to describe the woman?
(a) A fire hydrant.
(b) A streetlamp.
(c) The curved curb.
(d) A smooth pavement.
14. How does Dorris describe John?
15. How is the flesh of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Avey's profession?
2. What does Dorris do in the theater?
3. Washington is described as primarily what ethnic make-up?
4. Where does the dog go at night in "Calling Jesus"?
5. Where would the drone bee optimally be if he were not in the beehive?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)