|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Louisa and Bob meet secretly?
(a) In the factory.
(b) In Louisa's house.
(c) In the plantation house.
(d) At cane break.
2. What ethnicity is Paul?
(a) We do not find out.
3. Where do Bona and Paul get into an argument?
(a) In the street.
(b) On the dance floor.
(c) In Paul's room.
(d) In the hallway.
4. Who is Paul's roommate?
5. In "Portrait in Georgia", of what does the breath of the woman described breath smell?
6. In "Harvest Song," who does the speaker long to hear?
(a) His mother singing.
(b) Other field workers.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) Children laughing.
7. What is the name of the keeper of the boarding house in which Muriel lives?
(a) Kate Flannery.
(b) Mrs. Pribby.
(c) Mrs. Peabody.
(d) Lauryl Hawkins.
8. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
(a) His head.
(b) His thighs.
(c) The ground.
(d) A pile of oats.
9. What fills the sky in the second half of "Storm Ending"?
(d) Storm clouds.
10. What will the speaker's feeling overpower in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
(a) The woman's objections.
(b) The wishes of others.
(c) His own hesitations.
(d) The power grid.
11. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
12. What wish is expressed by the speaker in "Beehive"?
(a) To pollinate flowers.
(b) To take over the beehive.
(c) To leave the beehive forever.
(d) To mate with the queen.
13. "Prayer" deals with the thematic tug and pull between what two issues?
(b) God/the devil.
(c) Physical/spiritual needs.
14. In what city does Paul live?
(b) Kansas City.
15. What facial description is the thunder given in "Storm Ending"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
2. Which law is referenced as affecting Seventh Street?
3. Who can save the woman described in "Calling Jesus"?
4. What does Helen think are Bona's feelings toward Paul?
5. Which part of the speaker does he feel is most easily nourished in "Prayer"?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)