|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
(a) They do not like him.
(b) He cannot speak.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He hates them.
2. In "Harvest Song," who does the speaker long to hear?
(a) Children laughing.
(b) Other field workers.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) His mother singing.
3. How is the flesh of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
4. Although his body is weak, how is the speaker's soul described in "Prayer"?
5. Who is Muriel going to the show with at 8 o'clock after Dan leaves?
6. Washington is described as primarily what ethnic make-up?
(b) There is no racial majority.
7. What will the speaker's feeling overpower in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
(a) The power grid.
(b) The woman's objections.
(c) The wishes of others.
(d) His own hesitations.
8. Where are Muriel, Bernice, and Dan going to see the show?
(a) Grand Theater.
(b) Ross Theater.
(c) Lincoln Theater.
(d) Edgewood Theater.
9. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
(a) A cat.
(b) A fish.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
10. What is the hair of the woman described compared to in "Portrait in Georgia"?
(a) A snake.
(c) A dog's tail.
(d) A lyncher's rope.
11. What does the speaker worry about when calling the spirits in "Prayer"?
(a) They will not understand him.
(b) They will not care.
(c) His voice will not reach them.
(d) His words will be wrong.
12. What color is the honey of the beehive against the black night sky?
13. At what point does the woman's soul leave her in "Calling Jesus"?
(a) When she goes to work.
(b) When she comes home at night.
(c) When she sleeps with men.
(d) When she awakes.
14. What is the best description of the storm in "Storm Ending"?
15. In "Beehive", where does the Earth fit into the universal honeycomb?
(a) The Earth is a cell.
(b) The Earth is a flower.
(c) The Earth is a honeycomb.
(d) The Earth is the center.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker say is lacking in Avey and his encounters?
2. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
3. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
4. In "Storm Ending", to what is the thunder compared?
5. What ethnicity is Paul?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)