|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can save the woman described in "Calling Jesus"?
(c) The speaker.
(d) Her family.
2. In "Portrait in Georgia", of what does the breath of the woman described breath smell?
3. What color is the honey of the beehive against the black night sky?
4. What does the author visually contrast with the whitewashed streets of Washington in "Seventh Street"?
(b) Black skin.
5. Who is Muriel going to the show with at 8 o'clock after Dan leaves?
6. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
(d) New York.
7. Who is the piano player in the theater that Muriel and Dan go to?
(a) Jack Kleat.
(b) King Fish.
(c) Jim Clem.
(d) Fats Domino.
8. Which law is referenced as affecting Seventh Street?
(b) Anti-interracial marriage.
(c) First Amendment.
(d) No gambling.
9. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
10. Who is the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
(a) A politician.
(b) A plantation owner.
(c) A city dweller.
(d) A field worker.
11. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
(a) A pile of oats.
(b) The ground.
(c) His thighs.
(d) His head.
12. How is the flesh of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
13. What does the speaker say is lacking in Avey and his encounters?
14. Seventh Street is located in which city?
(a) Kansas City, Kansas.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia.
(d) Washington, D.C.
15. What does Rhobert wear upon his head?
(a) A shoe.
(c) A hat.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facial description is the thunder given in "Storm Ending"?
2. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
3. Where would the drone bee optimally be if he were not in the beehive?
4. What does Helen think are Bona's feelings toward Paul?
5. At what age does the speaker begin to tell the story of Avey?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)