|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Avey's profession?
(b) Dental assistant.
2. How does Dorris describe John?
3. Who is the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
(a) A politician.
(b) A field worker.
(c) A plantation owner.
(d) A city dweller.
4. Who is Muriel going to the show with at 8 o'clock after Dan leaves?
5. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He cannot speak.
(d) They do not like him.
6. Who brags about his knowledge of women and that he could "get" Avey if he wanted to?
7. What do Dorris and John speak about in the theater?
(b) Their weekend plans.
(c) Their relationship.
(d) They do not talk at all.
8. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
9. What does the author visually contrast with the whitewashed streets of Washington in "Seventh Street"?
(b) Black skin.
10. Who is Paul's roommate?
11. What is John's relation to the theater manager?
12. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
(b) New York.
13. How is the flesh of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
14. How does Avey initially feel about the speaker?
(a) She respects him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is indifferent.
15. Why are Rhobert's legs bowed?
(a) He had rickets as a child.
(b) He is burdened with the weight of the world.
(c) He was beaten as a child.
(d) His bones did not form correctly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
2. Where do Bona and Paul get into an argument?
3. What ethnicity is Paul?
4. What does Dorris do in the theater?
5. What effect does Dorris have on those around her?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)