|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
(d) New York.
2. At what point does the woman's soul leave her in "Calling Jesus"?
(a) When she awakes.
(b) When she sleeps with men.
(c) When she comes home at night.
(d) When she goes to work.
3. "Prayer" deals with the thematic tug and pull between what two issues?
(a) Physical/spiritual needs.
(c) God/the devil.
4. What is the overall appearance of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
5. Which field worker in "Blood-Burning Mood" is in love with Louisa?
(a) Tom Burwell.
(b) Ike Turnwell.
(c) Cal Storm.
(d) Philip Poyer.
6. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
(a) Her lips.
(b) Her arms.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her heart.
7. Who is the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
(a) A city dweller.
(b) A field worker.
(c) A plantation owner.
(d) A politician.
8. What does the speaker say is lacking in Avey and his encounters?
9. What color is the honey of the beehive against the black night sky?
10. What part of the street does the speaker use in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" to describe the woman?
(a) A streetlamp.
(b) The curved curb.
(c) A smooth pavement.
(d) A fire hydrant.
11. What will the speaker's feeling overpower in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
(a) The power grid.
(b) The woman's objections.
(c) The wishes of others.
(d) His own hesitations.
12. Seventh Street is located in which city?
(a) Kansas City, Kansas.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) Atlanta, Georgia.
13. How does Rhobert feel about his family?
(a) He does not care about them.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He hates them.
14. Where do Louisa and Bob meet secretly?
(a) In Louisa's house.
(b) At cane break.
(c) In the plantation house.
(d) In the factory.
15. What does the beehive represent?
(b) The universe.
(c) The South.
(d) The brain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the keeper of the boarding house in which Muriel lives?
2. How will those in attendance at Rhobert's funeral remember him?
3. In what city does Paul live?
4. Who does Dan compare himself to when he makes the exclamation in the theater?
5. Which part of the speaker does he feel is most easily nourished in "Prayer"?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)