|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom Burwell's punishment for killing Bob Stone?
(a) He is burned at the stake.
(b) He is lynched.
(c) He is tarred and feathered.
(d) He is shot in the head.
2. Why are Rhobert's legs bowed?
(a) He had rickets as a child.
(b) His bones did not form correctly.
(c) He was beaten as a child.
(d) He is burdened with the weight of the world.
3. Washington is described as primarily what ethnic make-up?
(b) There is no racial majority.
4. What ethnicity is Paul?
(c) We do not find out.
5. Which character in "Blood-Burning Moon" is a plantation owner?
(a) Frank Smith.
(b) Grant Rogers.
(c) Levi Williams.
(d) Bob Stone.
6. What wish is expressed by the speaker in "Beehive"?
(a) To leave the beehive forever.
(b) To pollinate flowers.
(c) To take over the beehive.
(d) To mate with the queen.
7. Where are Muriel, Bernice, and Dan going to see the show?
(a) Lincoln Theater.
(b) Grand Theater.
(c) Edgewood Theater.
(d) Ross Theater.
8. What is the name of the keeper of the boarding house in which Muriel lives?
(a) Mrs. Peabody.
(b) Mrs. Pribby.
(c) Kate Flannery.
(d) Lauryl Hawkins.
9. What is the hair of the woman described compared to in "Portrait in Georgia"?
(b) A lyncher's rope.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dog's tail.
10. What does the beehive represent?
(a) The South.
(c) The brain.
(d) The universe.
11. In what city does Paul live?
(a) Kansas City.
12. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
13. What does Dorris do in the theater?
14. What does the speaker in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" say to the woman of whom he speaks?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He does not speak to her.
15. How does Rhobert feel about his family?
(a) He does not care about them.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He hates them.
(d) He is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
2. What is the best description of the storm in "Storm Ending"?
3. Which law is referenced as affecting Seventh Street?
4. In "Calling Jesus," when does the dog of the woman described nuzzle up to the speaker?
5. In "Harvest Song," who does the speaker long to hear?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)