|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Calling Jesus," when does the dog of the woman described nuzzle up to the speaker?
(a) When she is sad.
(b) When she forgets about her life.
(c) When she feels calm.
(d) When she tells it to.
2. Where do Louisa and Bob meet secretly?
(a) In Louisa's house.
(b) In the factory.
(c) At cane break.
(d) In the plantation house.
3. In what city does Paul live?
(b) Kansas City.
4. Whom does Rhobert leave behind when he dies?
(a) His wife.
(b) His parents.
(c) No one.
(d) His wife and children.
5. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A fish.
(d) A dog.
6. What ethnicity is Paul?
(b) We do not find out.
7. Who lives on Seventh Street?
8. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" not call out to his fellow workers?
(a) They do not like him.
(b) He cannot speak.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He hates them.
9. Whose reaction is Bob Stone concerned about in thinking about Louisa and him?
(b) Tom Burwell.
(c) His mother and sister.
(d) His father.
10. How does Dorris describe John?
11. Who is Muriel going to the show with at 8 o'clock after Dan leaves?
12. Who does Dan compare himself to when he makes the exclamation in the theater?
(b) A slave.
13. Who can save the woman described in "Calling Jesus"?
(a) Her family.
(b) The speaker.
14. Which law is referenced as affecting Seventh Street?
(a) No gambling.
(c) First Amendment.
(d) Anti-interracial marriage.
15. What is Tom Burwell's punishment for killing Bob Stone?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) He is lynched.
(c) He is tarred and feathered.
(d) He is burned at the stake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Avey initially feel about the speaker?
2. After comparing his soul to a little finger, how does the speaker then describe this body part?
3. What is the overall physical state of the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
4. What is the physical stature of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
5. What does the author visually contrast with the whitewashed streets of Washington in "Seventh Street"?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)