|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although his body is weak, how is the speaker's soul described in "Prayer"?
2. Which part of the woman's body in "Her Lips are Copper Wire" are the transmitters?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her lips.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her arms.
3. Where would the drone bee optimally be if he were not in the beehive?
(a) Flying in the sky.
(b) On a flower.
(c) In the city.
(d) Near a pond.
4. What does Dorris do in the theater?
5. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
6. What is the best description of the storm in "Storm Ending"?
7. Why does the speaker in "Harvest Song" beat his hands?
(a) He wants to feel physical pain.
(b) He hates his body.
(c) He feels guilty.
(d) He is frustrated with his job.
8. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
9. How does Rhobert feel about his family?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He does not care about them.
(d) He loves them.
10. What is the overall appearance of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
11. What type of bee is the speaker in "Beehive"?
12. In "Calling Jesus," when does the dog of the woman described nuzzle up to the speaker?
(a) When she is sad.
(b) When she tells it to.
(c) When she forgets about her life.
(d) When she feels calm.
13. What will the speaker's feeling overpower in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
(a) His own hesitations.
(b) The woman's objections.
(c) The power grid.
(d) The wishes of others.
14. What does the beehive represent?
(a) The universe.
(c) The South.
(d) The brain.
15. In "Storm Ending", to what is the thunder compared?
(a) A drum.
(b) An explosion.
(c) A flower.
(d) A dog's howl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Dorris have on those around her?
2. In "Calling Jesus," to what animal is the soul of the woman described compared?
3. What does the speaker worry about when calling the spirits in "Prayer"?
4. How is the rain dripping in "Storm Ending"?
5. Which part of the speaker does he feel is most easily nourished in "Prayer"?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)