|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state do the speaker and Avey have an encounter in the park?
(a) New York.
2. Who is the speaker in "Harvest Song"?
(a) A field worker.
(b) A politician.
(c) A plantation owner.
(d) A city dweller.
3. In "Her Lips are Copper Wire," what does Toomer use as a larger description theme?
4. What is the overall appearance of the woman described in "Portrait in Georgia"?
5. What does Dan tell Muriel about love?
(a) That it curls around them like smoke.
(b) That it does not exist.
(c) That it is all around them.
(d) That it lives in her heart.
6. What is the hair of the woman described compared to in "Portrait in Georgia"?
(a) A snake.
(c) A dog's tail.
(d) A lyncher's rope.
7. What courses through the speaker's veins in "Her Lips are Copper Wire"?
8. How does Dorris describe John?
9. Washington is described as primarily what ethnic make-up?
(c) There is no racial majority.
10. Who can save the woman described in "Calling Jesus"?
(a) Her family.
(b) The speaker.
11. In "Storm Ending", to what is the thunder compared?
(a) A dog's howl.
(b) An explosion.
(c) A flower.
(d) A drum.
12. What is John's relation to the theater manager?
13. Who lives on Seventh Street?
14. Whom does Rhobert leave behind when he dies?
(a) His wife.
(b) No one.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) His parents.
15. How does Avey initially feel about the speaker?
(a) She respects him.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker beat his hands against at the end of "Harvest Song"?
2. What effect does Dorris have on those around her?
3. In what is Rhobert sinking?
4. Which dancer in the theater particularly appeals to John?
5. Who does Dan compare himself to when he makes the exclamation in the theater?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)