|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
2. How is Esther described physically?
3. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
(d) The body.
4. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
5. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(b) The color of newly plowed earth.
(c) A river of chocolate.
(d) Sweet as nectar.
6. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
(a) He is unfair.
(b) He is wild.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is weak.
7. Why were the old folks startled by the November cotton flower?
(a) The cotton plant did not normally flower.
(b) It poisoned the birds.
(c) It came at a strange time of year.
(d) It caused strange things to happen.
8. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(b) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(c) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
(d) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
9. What did Karintha do as a child?
(a) Loved to read.
(b) Danced with older boys.
(c) Played baseball.
(d) Gossiped about her peers.
10. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She hated Bane.
(b) She didn't take a lover.
(c) She wanted attention.
(d) She was bored.
11. Where was the cotton song sung?
(a) In the fields.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) Never aloud.
(d) At church.
12. Of what are scythes made?
13. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
14. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(c) Judgment Day.
15. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
(a) White; black.
(b) Strong; weak.
(c) Poor; rich.
(d) Mean; nice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the cotton described during November?
2. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
3. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
4. The Song of the Son is a song about whom?
5. What does Cloine do while the speaker observes her?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)