|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of songs are being sung in the cotton fields by field workers in "Georgia Dusk"?
(a) Folk songs.
(b) Church songs.
(c) Blues songs.
(d) Field songs.
2. Of what are scythes made?
3. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is 12.
(b) When Karintha is a woman.
(c) When Karintha is elderly.
(d) When Karintha is a child.
4. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They use them as tools.
(b) They attach to them.
(c) They sharpen them.
(d) They cut with them.
5. The Song of the Son is a song about whom?
6. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
7. Where was Becky's house?
(a) In a forest.
(b) On a farm.
(c) In the center of town.
(d) Next to the railroad tracks.
8. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(a) Leather shoes.
(c) No shoes.
9. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
(b) Only the speaker.
(c) The townspeople.
10. How is Esther described physically?
11. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(c) Judgment Day.
12. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
13. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
14. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
15. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her lips.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
2. How is the weather in Georgia in November?
3. According to the text, how many rooms do typical homes in Georgia have?
4. Why did Carma take a lover?
5. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)