|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) A stone.
(b) A cluster of grapes.
(c) The hard ground.
(d) A rippling river.
2. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
3. How is the soil described in "Song of the Son"?
4. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) The preacher.
5. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She needs them.
(b) She fears them.
(c) She loves them.
(d) She has contempt for them.
6. Where was Becky's house?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a forest.
(c) In the center of town.
(d) Next to the railroad tracks.
7. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He finds her ugly.
(c) He does not care about her.
(d) He is entranced by her.
8. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
9. What happens to the speaker and Fern when they are together in the cornfield?
(a) Fern faints and begins to convulse.
(b) They make love.
(c) The speaker attacks Fern as the townspeople look on.
(d) Fern begins to undress.
10. To what does the speaker compare another birth in the family line in "Song of the Son"?
(a) A plum seed.
(b) A royal crown.
(c) A tree leaf.
(d) A bird's nest.
11. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
12. After her first baby was born, how did the townspeople react towards Becky?
(a) They shunned Becky.
(b) They offered assistance to Becky.
(c) They adopted the child.
(d) They threw Becky a baby shower.
13. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) The color of newly plowed earth.
(b) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(c) Sweet as nectar.
(d) A river of chocolate.
14. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
(a) The crudest melodrama.
(b) The saddest tragedy.
(c) A dastardly debacle.
(d) The finest love story.
15. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She hated Bane.
(b) She wanted attention.
(c) She didn't take a lover.
(d) She was bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Georgia Dusk" discusses what time of day?
2. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
3. What has Karintha's abuse in the past caused her to do?
4. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
5. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)