|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is a child.
(b) When Karintha is 12.
(c) When Karintha is elderly.
(d) When Karintha is a woman.
2. With whose religious changes does "Conversion" deal?
(a) Northerners moving South.
(b) Plantation owners.
(c) African slaves.
(d) Genteel women.
3. How have the woman's wrinkles described in "Face" been made?
4. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks that it is good work.
(b) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(c) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(d) He thinks it is an abomination.
5. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
6. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) The color of newly plowed earth.
(b) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(c) Sweet as nectar.
(d) A river of chocolate.
7. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
8. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
(a) She confuses them.
(b) She does not appeal to them.
(c) She is hated by them.
(d) She attracts them.
9. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(b) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
(c) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(d) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
10. How is Esther described physically?
11. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The factory.
(b) The sawmill.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The cotton plant.
12. What animals were described as searching for water?
13. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
14. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her lips.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her eyes.
15. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(a) No shoes.
(b) Leather shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
2. What did Carma shoot?
3. What is the woman described in "Face" doing?
4. What information does a towns person divulge to the narrator upon first sight of Fern?
5. How are the eyebrows of the old woman described in "Face" shaped?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)