|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
2. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(b) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
(c) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(d) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
3. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks that it is good work.
(b) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(c) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(d) He thinks it is an abomination.
4. "Georgia Dusk" discusses what time of day?
(a) Late night.
5. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
(a) That it is broken into.
(b) That it crumbles to the ground.
(c) That it is on fire.
(d) That she and Barlo own it.
6. How is Carma described?
7. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
8. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
(b) The body.
9. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
(b) The townspeople.
(c) Only the speaker.
10. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) The color of newly plowed earth.
(b) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(c) A river of chocolate.
(d) Sweet as nectar.
11. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(d) King Barlo.
12. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) Pine needles.
(b) An old blanket.
(c) A grassy field.
(d) A wooden floor.
13. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(b) Leather shoes.
(c) No shoes.
14. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
(c) Play cards.
(d) Play horseshoes.
15. After her first baby was born, how did the townspeople react towards Becky?
(a) They shunned Becky.
(b) They offered assistance to Becky.
(c) They adopted the child.
(d) They threw Becky a baby shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
2. Who is the "son" in the "Song of the Son"?
3. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
4. What kind of songs are being sung in the cotton fields by field workers in "Georgia Dusk"?
5. What color is the hair of the old woman described in "Face"?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)