|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
(a) The saddest tragedy.
(b) The crudest melodrama.
(c) A dastardly debacle.
(d) The finest love story.
2. How is the soil described in "Song of the Son"?
3. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her lips.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her legs.
4. At twenty-two, how does Esther decide that she feels about Barlo?
(a) She is dependent upon him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is disgusted by him.
5. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) A field worker.
(b) A Jewish cantor.
(c) A churchgoer.
(d) An angel child.
6. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(b) King Barlo.
7. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
(a) That she and Barlo own it.
(b) That it crumbles to the ground.
(c) That it is on fire.
(d) That it is broken into.
8. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
(b) Play cards.
(c) Play horseshoes.
9. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) The townspeople.
(d) Only the speaker.
10. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) A cluster of grapes.
(b) A rippling river.
(c) A stone.
(d) The hard ground.
11. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) An old blanket.
(b) A wooden floor.
(c) A grassy field.
(d) Pine needles.
12. How have the woman's wrinkles described in "Face" been made?
13. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She has contempt for them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She fears them.
(d) She needs them.
14. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(b) He thinks it is an abomination.
(c) He thinks that it is good work.
(d) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
15. Where was Becky's house?
(a) In the center of town.
(b) On a farm.
(c) Next to the railroad tracks.
(d) In a forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
2. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
3. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
4. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
5. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)