|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sons did Becky have?
2. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They cut with them.
(b) They use them as tools.
(c) They sharpen them.
(d) They attach to them.
3. During the boll weevil infestation, where was there no water?
(a) The wells.
(b) The streams.
(c) The rivers.
(d) The pipes.
4. To what does the speaker compare another birth in the family line in "Song of the Son"?
(a) A bird's nest.
(b) A tree leaf.
(c) A plum seed.
(d) A royal crown.
5. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
(a) He finds her ugly.
(b) He is entranced by her.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He does not care about her.
6. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(a) King Barlo.
7. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
(a) She does not appeal to them.
(b) She is hated by them.
(c) She confuses them.
(d) She attracts them.
8. After finding no wounds in Carma, what does Bane do?
(b) Runs away.
(c) Kisses Carma.
(d) Knifes the men helping him.
9. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(b) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(c) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(d) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
10. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
11. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
12. How was the cotton described during November?
13. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(b) Judgment Day.
14. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) The cotton picker's voice.
(b) The plantation manager's voice.
(c) God's voice.
(d) The preacher's voice.
15. How many times has Karintha been married?
(a) Many times.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
2. What is the woman described in "Face" doing?
3. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
4. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
5. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)