|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal dies in the field under the blades of the mower in "Reapers"?
(a) A dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) A bird.
2. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They cut with them.
(b) They use them as tools.
(c) They attach to them.
(d) They sharpen them.
3. Within the "Song of the Son," to what are slaves compared?
4. What does Cloine do while the speaker observes her?
(a) Works the field.
(b) Sits on her porch.
5. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
(a) She does not appeal to them.
(b) She confuses them.
(c) She attracts them.
(d) She is hated by them.
6. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
7. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
8. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(c) King Barlo.
9. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
(a) Her father.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her teacher.
10. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) A wooden floor.
(b) Pine needles.
(c) An old blanket.
(d) A grassy field.
11. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(b) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(c) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(d) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
12. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(b) Leather shoes.
(d) No shoes.
13. What color is the hair of the old woman described in "Face"?
(a) Silver gray.
(b) Jet black.
(c) Earth brown.
(d) Sunny blond.
14. With what does the poem "Nullo" primarily deal?
15. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose religious changes does "Conversion" deal?
2. How does Karintha express her anger?
3. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
4. The Song of the Son is a song about whom?
5. How is Esther described physically?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)