|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the cotton described during November?
2. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(b) Judgment Day.
3. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
4. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
(a) She is hated by them.
(b) She does not appeal to them.
(c) She confuses them.
(d) She attracts them.
5. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(b) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(c) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
(d) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
6. How is Esther described physically?
7. Where was Becky's house?
(a) Next to the railroad tracks.
(b) In the center of town.
(c) On a farm.
(d) In a forest.
8. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(a) Leather shoes.
(d) No shoes.
9. Of what are scythes made?
10. With whose religious changes does "Conversion" deal?
(a) African slaves.
(b) Plantation owners.
(c) Northerners moving South.
(d) Genteel women.
11. What information does a towns person divulge to the narrator upon first sight of Fern?
(a) Only her name.
(b) That she is promiscuous.
(c) Her line of work.
(d) That she is loved by many.
12. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(b) King Barlo.
13. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
14. During the boll weevil infestation, where was there no water?
(a) The wells.
(b) The pipes.
(c) The streams.
(d) The rivers.
15. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the townspeople know that Becky was alive?
2. How are the eyebrows of the old woman described in "Face" shaped?
3. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
4. Who is the "son" in the "Song of the Son"?
5. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)