|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
2. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
3. How did the townspeople know that Becky was alive?
(a) Her sons told the townspeople.
(b) She came to the market.
(c) They saw her through the windows.
(d) There was smoke coming out of the chimney.
4. How was the cotton described during November?
5. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
6. What does Cloine do while the speaker observes her?
(a) Sits on her porch.
(c) Works the field.
7. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
8. What did Carma shoot?
(b) A deer.
9. According to the text, how many rooms do typical homes in Georgia have?
10. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
11. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
12. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) A stone.
(b) The hard ground.
(c) A cluster of grapes.
(d) A rippling river.
13. What kind of songs are being sung in the cotton fields by field workers in "Georgia Dusk"?
(a) Field songs.
(b) Church songs.
(c) Folk songs.
(d) Blues songs.
14. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) A field worker.
(b) An angel child.
(c) A churchgoer.
(d) A Jewish cantor.
15. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(b) King Barlo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
2. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
3. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
4. With which physical attribute on others is Esther preoccupied?
5. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)