|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Esther described physically?
2. What information does a towns person divulge to the narrator upon first sight of Fern?
(a) That she is loved by many.
(b) That she is promiscuous.
(c) Only her name.
(d) Her line of work.
3. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He does not care about her.
(c) He is entranced by her.
(d) He finds her ugly.
4. Becky was a _____________ woman and her children were ______________.
(a) White; black.
(b) Strong; weak.
(c) Poor; rich.
(d) Mean; nice.
5. How did the townspeople know that Becky was alive?
(a) They saw her through the windows.
(b) She came to the market.
(c) Her sons told the townspeople.
(d) There was smoke coming out of the chimney.
6. Why were the old folks startled by the November cotton flower?
(a) It caused strange things to happen.
(b) The cotton plant did not normally flower.
(c) It poisoned the birds.
(d) It came at a strange time of year.
7. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
8. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
(a) Freedom from slavery.
(b) Absolution of sins.
(c) Entrance into heaven.
(d) Eternal food.
9. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) The plantation manager's voice.
(b) The preacher's voice.
(c) God's voice.
(d) The cotton picker's voice.
10. What animal dies in the field under the blades of the mower in "Reapers"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
11. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks that it is good work.
(b) He thinks it is an abomination.
(c) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(d) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
12. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
13. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
(a) He is weak.
(b) He is unfair.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is wild.
14. How is Carma described?
15. Within the "Song of the Son," to what are slaves compared?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carma shoot?
2. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
3. According to the "Song of the Son," where ought we pour our soul?
4. Who is the "son" in the "Song of the Son"?
5. What happens to the speaker and Fern when they are together in the cornfield?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)