|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(c) The sun.
(d) The Earth.
2. What specifically is stated as not happening in the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) There are no people.
(b) It is not raining.
(c) It is not on fire.
(d) It is not windy.
3. During the boll weevil infestation, where was there no water?
(a) The pipes.
(b) The rivers.
(c) The streams.
(d) The wells.
4. How was the cotton described during November?
5. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks that it is good work.
(b) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(c) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(d) He thinks it is an abomination.
6. What did the townspeople secretly bring Becky?
(b) Their problems.
7. How does the woman personified with the face seem to be?
(d) In love.
8. How is the swinging of the scythes described in "Reapers"?
9. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
10. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
11. Who does the narrator blame for the end of Carma's story?
12. What happens to the speaker and Fern when they are together in the cornfield?
(a) Fern begins to undress.
(b) The speaker attacks Fern as the townspeople look on.
(c) They make love.
(d) Fern faints and begins to convulse.
13. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She wanted attention.
(b) She didn't take a lover.
(c) She hated Bane.
(d) She was bored.
14. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is weak.
(c) He is unfair.
(d) He is wild.
15. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The cotton plant.
(b) The sawmill.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the speaker compare another birth in the family line in "Song of the Son"?
2. What animals were described as searching for water?
3. Where was Becky's house?
4. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
5. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)