|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whose religious changes does "Conversion" deal?
(a) Plantation owners.
(b) African slaves.
(c) Northerners moving South.
(d) Genteel women.
2. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) A wooden floor.
(b) Pine needles.
(c) An old blanket.
(d) A grassy field.
3. How many sons did Becky have?
4. Who is the "son" in the "Song of the Son"?
(a) A boy.
(b) The plantation owner's son.
(c) The slaves' ancestors.
5. What information does a towns person divulge to the narrator upon first sight of Fern?
(a) That she is promiscuous.
(b) That she is loved by many.
(c) Her line of work.
(d) Only her name.
6. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(d) Judgment Day.
7. In "Evening Song", to what is Cloine compared?
(d) The body.
8. What specifically is stated as not happening in the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) It is not windy.
(b) It is not raining.
(c) There are no people.
(d) It is not on fire.
9. Where does the whistle mark the end of the day's shift?
(a) The bakery.
(b) The factory.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) The cotton plant.
10. Where was the cotton song sung?
(a) At church.
(b) In the fields.
(c) Never aloud.
(d) In the kitchen.
11. What did Karintha do as a child?
(a) Played baseball.
(b) Danced with older boys.
(c) Gossiped about her peers.
(d) Loved to read.
12. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) Sweet as nectar.
(b) The color of newly plowed earth.
(c) A river of chocolate.
(d) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
13. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
14. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
(a) He is wild.
(b) He is unfair.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is weak.
15. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
2. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
3. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
4. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
5. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)