|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the cotton described during November?
2. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
3. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They attach to them.
(b) They cut with them.
(c) They sharpen them.
(d) They use them as tools.
4. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
5. What did the townspeople secretly bring Becky?
(d) Their problems.
6. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
(a) The sun.
(b) The Earth.
(c) The moon.
(d) The stars.
7. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
8. During the boll weevil infestation, where was there no water?
(a) The pipes.
(b) The wells.
(c) The rivers.
(d) The streams.
9. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) The color of newly plowed earth.
(b) A river of chocolate.
(c) Sweet as nectar.
(d) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
10. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her lips.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her hands.
11. How does Fern feel about the townspeople gossiping about her?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is embarrassed by it.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She relishes in it.
12. What color is the hair of the old woman described in "Face"?
(a) Silver gray.
(b) Sunny blond.
(c) Earth brown.
(d) Jet black.
13. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her teacher.
14. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) God's voice.
(b) The plantation manager's voice.
(c) The preacher's voice.
(d) The cotton picker's voice.
15. At what age does the smoke hang in the air for so long that people can taste it in the water?
(a) When Karintha is elderly.
(b) When Karintha is a child.
(c) When Karintha is a woman.
(d) When Karintha is 12.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
2. How does the woman personified with the face seem to be?
3. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
4. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
5. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)