|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(b) No shoes.
(c) Leather shoes.
2. How is the weather in Georgia in November?
3. To what type of tree does the poem "Nullo" refer?
4. What animal dies in the field under the blades of the mower in "Reapers"?
(a) A bird.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) A dog.
5. How are the horses pulling the mower in "Reapers" described?
6. What did Carma shoot?
(c) A deer.
7. How do the men in Fern's city feel about her after the narrator begins to pay her attention?
(a) They want to run her out of town.
(b) They want to protect her.
(c) They want to possess her.
(d) They want to marry her.
8. The pine needles are so quiet in "Nullo" that which animal does not even hear their falling?
9. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
(c) Play cards.
(d) Play horseshoes.
10. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
(a) It is difficult to change once it has been engrained.
(b) It cannot be bettered by a change in geographical location.
(c) It is deeply rooted in issues of possession.
(d) It is subject to the same narrowminded assumptions.
11. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) A river of chocolate.
(b) Sweet as nectar.
(c) The color of newly plowed earth.
(d) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
12. What does the blade of the mower cut in "Reapers"?
13. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) A stone.
(b) The hard ground.
(c) A cluster of grapes.
(d) A rippling river.
14. For emphasis of the field workers' plight, what does Toomer use?
(a) God's voice.
(b) The plantation manager's voice.
(c) The cotton picker's voice.
(d) The preacher's voice.
15. With what does the poem "Nullo" primarily deal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the hair of the old woman described in "Face"?
2. The Song of the Son is a song about whom?
3. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
4. How have the woman's wrinkles described in "Face" been made?
5. Why were the old folks startled by the November cotton flower?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)