|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
(a) That it is broken into.
(b) That it is on fire.
(c) That it crumbles to the ground.
(d) That she and Barlo own it.
2. On what does Karintha give birth to her child?
(a) Pine needles.
(b) An old blanket.
(c) A grassy field.
(d) A wooden floor.
3. How does Karintha express her anger?
(a) Screaming and hitting.
(b) Breaking things.
(c) Hurting people's feelings.
4. In what condition is the soil in November after the boll weevil infestation?
5. Why were the old folks startled by the November cotton flower?
(a) The cotton plant did not normally flower.
(b) It poisoned the birds.
(c) It caused strange things to happen.
(d) It came at a strange time of year.
6. How many times has Karintha been married?
(c) Many times.
7. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
8. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She needs them.
(b) She has contempt for them.
(c) She fears them.
(d) She loves them.
9. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(b) Leather shoes.
(d) No shoes.
10. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks that it is good work.
(b) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(c) He thinks it is an abomination.
(d) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
11. What do the cotton song's lyrics reference?
(b) Judgment Day.
12. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
(a) The sun.
(b) The stars.
(c) The moon.
(d) The Earth.
13. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
14. Within the "Song of the Son," to what are slaves compared?
15. How was the cotton described during November?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the text, how many rooms do typical homes in Georgia have?
2. At what age does Karintha become sexually active?
3. According to the cotton song, what is the salvation of Judgment Day?
4. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
5. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)