|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are reapers' relationships to scythes?
(a) They sharpen them.
(b) They cut with them.
(c) They attach to them.
(d) They use them as tools.
2. What do the men do after working at the sawmill in "Georgia Dusk"?
(c) Play horseshoes.
(d) Play cards.
3. Why did Carma take a lover?
(a) She wanted attention.
(b) She was bored.
(c) She hated Bane.
(d) She didn't take a lover.
4. Where was Becky's house?
(a) In the center of town.
(b) On a farm.
(c) Next to the railroad tracks.
(d) In a forest.
5. What kind of songs are being sung in the cotton fields by field workers in "Georgia Dusk"?
(a) Blues songs.
(b) Folk songs.
(c) Field songs.
(d) Church songs.
6. Upon which of Cloine's body parts is the speaker fixated?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her legs.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her lips.
7. To whose singing does the author repeatedly compare Fern's face?
(a) A Jewish cantor.
(b) A field worker.
(c) A churchgoer.
(d) An angel child.
8. Of what are scythes made?
9. After her wild behavior, who defends Karintha?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) The preacher.
10. How does Fern feel about the townspeople gossiping about her?
(a) She is embarrassed by it.
(b) She relishes in it.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is indifferent.
11. How is Carma described?
12. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He cares not what we do on Earth.
(b) He thinks that it is good work.
(c) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(d) He thinks it is an abomination.
13. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(b) Leather shoes.
(d) No shoes.
14. At what age does Karintha become sexually active?
15. When she is nine years old, by whom does Esther become entranced?
(d) King Barlo.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which theme does "Georgia Dusk" contain many references?
2. How was the cotton described during November?
3. How does Esther think that men feel about her?
4. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
5. What recurring dream does Esther have about her father's store?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)