|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specifically is stated as not happening in the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) It is not on fire.
(b) There are no people.
(c) It is not raining.
(d) It is not windy.
2. What is the main fault of the Christian god in "Conversion"?
(a) He is serious and unforgiving.
(b) He is irrational and unwielding.
(c) He is closeminded and unfair.
(d) He is sarcastic and weak.
3. How is Karintha's skin described?
(a) Sweet as nectar.
(b) Dusk on the eastern horizon.
(c) The color of newly plowed earth.
(d) A river of chocolate.
4. In "Conversion", what is the main fault of the African god?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is unfair.
(c) He is weak.
(d) He is wild.
5. How does the narrator describe Carma's story?
(a) A dastardly debacle.
(b) The crudest melodrama.
(c) The saddest tragedy.
(d) The finest love story.
6. To what are the woman's muscles in "Face" compared?
(a) A stone.
(b) A cluster of grapes.
(c) A rippling river.
(d) The hard ground.
7. In "Conversion", how is the Christian god physically described?
8. Who is observing the forest in "Nullo"?
(a) The townspeople.
(d) Only the speaker.
9. The poem "Evening Song" is an ode to whom?
10. What do all of the men in Karintha's life want to bring her?
11. According to the cotton song, how does God feel about picking cotton?
(a) He thinks it is an abomination.
(b) He thinks that it is good work.
(c) He thinks that it is sustained slavery.
(d) He cares not what we do on Earth.
12. As an a adult, how does Karintha feel about men?
(a) She needs them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She fears them.
(d) She has contempt for them.
13. What type of tree is singing in the swamp as the men walk home from the sawmill?
14. How does the speaker feel about Cloine?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He does not care about her.
(c) He is entranced by her.
(d) He finds her ugly.
15. What do the cotton pickers wear?
(a) No shoes.
(b) Leather shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the cotton song sung?
2. With what does the poem "Nullo" primarily deal?
3. How is Esther described physically?
4. Which celestial orb does the author use in "Evening Song" to describe Cloine?
5. When contemplating what sort of life Fern might have, how does the author compare love to prejudice?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)