Short Essay Questions Key
1. How do men treat Karintha as a child?
When Karintha is a child, men look at her and touch her as if she is a sexual being.
2. How does Karintha act out as a 12-year-old?
Karintha screams, beats up children, and abuses animals as a child, although the adults around her excuse this behavior.
3. As Karintha becomes a woman, what do young men do for her?
As she is approaching womanhood, the young men count down until she is old enough to be sexually had, at which point they give Karintha money in exchange for sex.
4. What effect does the smoke have on Karintha's surroundings the day that she gives birth to her child?
The smoke clouds the sky for days and makes the drinking water taste of it after Karintha gives birth to her child.
5. What are the "reapers" in the poem of the same name?
The reapers are the black field workers first sharpening the scythes, then using them to cut weeds.
This section contains 2,737 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)