|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph ask Philomene to give him?
2. Who falls ill in Chapter 18?
3. What last name does Elisabeth choose?
4. What is the result of Oreline and Philomene being left alone on the farm?
5. What causes Clement to drown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument between Oreline and Philomene about who owes whom in Chapter 24?
2. What does Narcisse tell Oreline has to be done after Ferrier's death concerning the slaves and what does she decide about Clement?
3. What does Philomene ask Narcisse to do concerning Emily?
4. What is an example of how the traditional roles on Oreline's farm become skewed?
5. What does Philomene think one day in Chapter 16 when she sees Clement holding one of their daughters?
6. What do Narcisse, Antoine Morat and Joseph Ferrier who come to visit Joseph tell him?
7. What does Narcisse start building in Chapter 19?
8. In Chapter 19, what does Elisabeth say about Philomene's visions, and how does Philomene plan to use them on Narcisse?
9. Describe Elisabeth's encounter with a census taker.
10. How do Ferrier's caregivers know he is close to dying of yellow fever in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene seems to have had good intentions with regard to his children. It seems that he'd really intended that he would buy their freedom but that he'd never set a date for making it happen and had eventually just let the years slip past him.
Discuss Eugene’s character flaws and strengths in relation to his children and his raping of their mother. Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Eugene rapes Suzette, she is a virgin. After he is finished, she realizes that her dress is bloodied. Suzette does not rush to the comforting arms of her mother to tell what's happened, but rushes to find a way to hide the evidence of the rape.
Discuss the consequences of slave owners raping their slaves and how such relationships affected both the slave and the owner. Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)