|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Narcisse join the regular army?
2. How much money does Narcisse have to pay to be draft exempt?
3. What does Philomene realize as she see Clement in Chapter 16?
4. What is the main goal Philomene and Oreline have while Valery is gone?
5. Where is Billes General Store located?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Elisabeth say about Philomene's visions, and how does Philomene plan to use them on Narcisse?
2. What does Philomene think one day in Chapter 16 when she sees Clement holding one of their daughters?
3. What does Philomene name her daughter by Narcisse, and what does she say about the daughter?
4. In Chapter 31, what does Joseph request from Philomene concerning Emily?
5. What is the argument between Oreline and Philomene about who owes whom in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 27, what does Narcisse say Emily is to do concerning her education?
7. How do Ferrier's caregivers know he is close to dying of yellow fever in Chapter 17?
8. What does Narcisse tell Oreline has to be done after Ferrier's death concerning the slaves and what does she decide about Clement?
9. What does Narcisse start building in Chapter 19?
10. In Chapter 25, what does Yellow John say about Clement's fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Philomene and Suzette. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Eugene and Narcisse. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Suzette at one point says that the only thing she got from Eugene was light-skinned children, and she sees this as a step toward a better life for her descendents than what she could otherwise give them.
Discuss the ways in which the system of slavery causes slaves to value lighter skin, especially in view of the fact that their oppressors are Caucasian. Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Elisabeth says that she knows any one of them - or all of them - could be sold at the whim of their owners. It's around this time that Suzette realizes that the childhood days of companionship with the white children are gone.
What are the reasons Suzette will not be able to play with the white children any longer and how does that impact her life? Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)