|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Josephina?
2. Why does Clement throw a chair out of the boat?
3. What does Garasime say is attached to the slaves after the assessors come?
4. What does Suzette pretend in front of Francoise in Chapter 7?
5. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom is Suzette enamored, but what is her mother's response to that?
2. What is Suzette's job in the household, and how does that affect her life?
3. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
4. Who is Suzette's father, and what does he do?
5. What does Joseph Ferrier agree to do after Suzette talks to Oreline in Chapter 14?
6. What does Suzette pretend regarding Francoise, but what are Suzette's real feelings?
7. What does the overseer announce to Francoise one day?
8. Why does Francoise arrange a marriage for Oreline?
9. What does Elisabeth urge Philomene to tell Clement?
10. What does Suzette say about her family after the slave auction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Emily's reaction to Joseph's decision to move her out is a testament of her determination and pride. She insists that the children dress in their best clothing and she shows no sign of anger to the men who are moving her possessions.
Do you think Emily’s behavior is healthy or is it another indication of being oppressed? Why or why not? Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Cane River belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a science fiction novel or a mystery?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)