|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzette's relationship to Palmire and Apphia?
2. What is the year at the opening of Cane River?
3. What is a major event that happens to Louis at the opening of Chapter 6?
4. Following Francoise’s death, who does Doralise promise to try to help?
5. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oreline say upon learning of Suzette's pregnancy, and what is Suzette's response?
2. What does Suzette say about her family after the slave auction?
3. Of what is Philomene aware concerning her emerging womanhood?
4. Who is Suzette's father, and what does he do?
5. Why does Francoise chastise Elisabeth in Chapter 1?
6. What does Suzette immediately do when Francoise dies?
7. What does Suzette pretend regarding Francoise, but what are Suzette's real feelings?
8. Why does Francoise arrange a marriage for Oreline?
9. What does Philomene say to Clement in Chapter 12 when he tells her he traveled by boat to visit her?
10. What is Suzette's job in the household, and how does that affect her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Narcisse tells Philomene that she needs "a man who could protect her." Philomene is unimpressed with the argument, saying that the only thing she actually needs protection from is slavery and that Narcisse isn't going to do that.
What are some of the ways in which Narcisse does protect Philomene, and why do you think he never freed her? Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Elisabeth says that she knows any one of them - or all of them - could be sold at the whim of their owners. It's around this time that Suzette realizes that the childhood days of companionship with the white children are gone.
What are the reasons Suzette will not be able to play with the white children any longer and how does that impact her life? Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Elisabeth urges Philomene to take what happiness she can find in life.
In what ways do the slaves find happiness in the system which controls and abuses them? Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)