|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elisabeth's job at the plantation?
2. Why does Clement throw a chair out of the boat?
3. Why does Suzette send word to the slave quarters the minute Francoise dies?
4. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
5. In Chapter 8, what do Gerasime and Elisabeth say they will not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suzette say about her family after the slave auction?
2. What does Oreline say upon learning of Suzette's pregnancy, and what is Suzette's response?
3. What does Suzette pretend regarding Francoise, but what are Suzette's real feelings?
4. How does Philomene feel about Narcisse's marriage?
5. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
6. Who is Suzette's father, and what does he do?
7. What does the overseer announce to Francoise one day?
8. What present is mentioned in Chapter 13 that Clement is making for Philomene?
9. With whom is Suzette enamored, but what is her mother's response to that?
10. What does Joseph Ferrier agree to do after Suzette talks to Oreline in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Cane River and what they foreshadow. How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Suzette at one point says that the only thing she got from Eugene was light-skinned children, and she sees this as a step toward a better life for her descendents than what she could otherwise give them.
Discuss the ways in which the system of slavery causes slaves to value lighter skin, especially in view of the fact that their oppressors are Caucasian. Use examples from Cane River to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Cane River is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)