|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philomene say about Emily in Chapter 21?
(a) She must never work in the fields.
(b) She must not know who her father is.
(c) She will be free someday.
(d) She will become a teacher.
2. Why does Joseph move Emily to a house that is isolated on a tract of land?
(a) He is angry that she has been with another man.
(b) He is worried about her safety.
(c) He has married a white woman.
(d) He thinks she is too uppity.
3. What is the significance of Valery's age regarding the war?
(a) He is too young to command a company.
(b) There is nothing significant about Valery's age.
(c) He is exempt from serving in the military.
(d) He is only allowed to be with the medical corps.
4. What do Narcisse and Oreline wait to tell Philomene until she is better?
(a) That both twins have died.
(b) That Oreline's son is dead.
(c) That Clement has drowned.
(d) That Bet is dead but Thany has recovered.
5. Of what does Narcisse say Emily will not be forgiven?
(a) For refusing to marry who Narcisse wants her to marry.
(b) For refusing to sit in the presence of his white children.
(c) For forgetting her place.
(d) For insulting his future wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Narcisse join the regular army?
2. Of what does Oreline seem afraid when talking to Philomene in Chapter 17?
3. What does Philomene realize as she see Clement in Chapter 16?
4. What does Joseph ask Philomene to give him?
5. What is wrong with Ferrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philomene name her daughter by Narcisse, and what does she say about the daughter?
2. In Chapter 27, what does Narcisse say Emily is to do concerning her education?
3. What does Angelite say about a young man who is interested in marrying her?
4. In Chapter 31, what does Joseph request from Philomene concerning Emily?
5. What do Narcisse, Antoine Morat and Joseph Ferrier who come to visit Joseph tell him?
6. In Chapter 31, what does narration say about Joseph's life so far?
7. What does Narcisse tell Oreline has to be done after Ferrier's death concerning the slaves and what does she decide about Clement?
8. What does Philomene think one day in Chapter 16 when she sees Clement holding one of their daughters?
9. What does Philomene ask Narcisse to do concerning Emily?
10. What is the argument between Oreline and Philomene about who owes whom in Chapter 24?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)