|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bet come into the store one day to talk to Emily?
(a) Emily asks her to help her with a display.
(b) Bet likes one of the clerks.
(c) Bet is bored at home.
(d) Philomene sends Bet there to cheer up Emily.
2. Why does Joseph move Emily to a house that is isolated on a tract of land?
(a) He is worried about her safety.
(b) He is angry that she has been with another man.
(c) He thinks she is too uppity.
(d) He has married a white woman.
3. What does Elisabeth notice when she is telling the census taker about the women of the household?
(a) He is derisive of former slaves.
(b) He does not believe her.
(c) He is not interested in the women.
(d) He wants a lot of information about them.
4. What do Narcisse and Oreline wait to tell Philomene until she is better?
(a) That Oreline's son is dead.
(b) That both twins have died.
(c) That Bet is dead but Thany has recovered.
(d) That Clement has drowned.
5. What does Philomene stop doing at the end of Chapter 17?
(b) Singing to the children.
(c) Smiling at any white person.
(d) Keeping the house pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joseph's cousins assume when they come to live with him and Emily?
2. What does Narcisse say Oreline has to do because of financial difficulties?
3. What is Narcisse's response to the increasingly unstable conditions in Chapter 22?
4. What is Valery Houbre's occupation?
5. With what mentality does Emily think the older women in her family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example of how the traditional roles on Oreline's farm become skewed?
2. How do Ferrier's caregivers know he is close to dying of yellow fever in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Philomene send Bet to Joseph's store where Emily is working?
4. How does Philomene feel about the lives of her family?
5. What does Emily admit to Bet about Emily's feelings concerning Elisabeth?
6. In Chapter 31, what does narration say about Joseph's life so far?
7. Who becomes ill in Chapter 18, and who takes care of them?
8. In Chapter 25, what does Yellow John say about Clement's fate?
9. In Chapter 23, what does Oreline ask of her husband concerning the war, and what is his response?
10. What does Narcisse say he worries about concerning Emily?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)