|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Elisabeth in Chapter 34?
(a) She has a stroke and is bedridden.
(b) She dies.
(c) Oreline takes her into Oreline's home.
(d) She is given a surprise party.
2. Why is Joseph's barn burned?
(a) Because Joseph is living with Emily.
(b) The cows have hoof and mouth.
(c) Because Joseph plans to marry Emily.
(d) Because the pigs have a disease.
3. Where had Joseph been during the days of slavery?
4. What is the result of Oreline and Philomene being left alone on the farm?
(a) Their roles become intertwined.
(b) Philomene forgives Oreline and they become like sisters.
(c) The two become rivals for the children's love.
(d) The two become rivals for power.
5. Why does Oreline resist Narcisse's advice?
(a) Oreline believes Narcisse does not have her best interests at heart.
(b) Oreline believes her new husband should make the decision.
(c) Oreline sees the slaves as like family.
(d) Oreline thinks there are not enough slaves to work more acres.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Oreline's son in 1862?
2. What does Philomene feel as she makes a realization about Clement in Chapter 16?
3. Why is it surprising that someone besides Philomene sometimes cooks?
4. How does Oreline justify not talking to Philomene about Clement?
5. With what mentality does Emily think the older women in her family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Narcisse say he worries about concerning Emily?
2. In Chapter 27, what does Narcisse say Emily is to do concerning her education?
3. What does Philomene name her daughter by Narcisse, and what does she say about the daughter?
4. What does Philomene ask Narcisse to do concerning Emily?
5. How does Philomene feel about the lives of her family?
6. In Chapter 31, what does Joseph request from Philomene concerning Emily?
7. What does Narcisse start building in Chapter 19?
8. What does Emily admit to Bet about Emily's feelings concerning Elisabeth?
9. Describe Elisabeth's encounter with a census taker.
10. What is an example of how the traditional roles on Oreline's farm become skewed?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)