|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joseph think has cheated him?
(a) A judge in California.
(b) His uncle.
(c) A former slave owner.
(d) His brothers.
2. Why doesn't Narcisse join the regular army?
(a) He thinks the South will win in the first month of war.
(b) He says he is needed to run the plantation.
(c) He believes slaves should be set free.
(d) He is blind in one eye.
3. What does Emily admit concerning Elisabeth?
(a) Emily was ashamed of her.
(b) Emily adored her.
(c) Emily thought she was too harsh a disciplinarian.
(d) Emily was afraid of her censure.
4. What does Philomene say Emily is doing with Narcisse when Emily is 10?
(a) Traveling to New York.
(b) Reading to him.
(c) Riding a train.
(d) Emily is nursing Narcisse.
5. How many slaves must a man own in order to be draft exempt?
(a) No more than 50.
(b) At least 130.
(c) 20 or more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Philomene live now?
2. Why does Suzette return to Oreline's homestead?
3. Why is Narcisse better off than some plantation owners?
4. What is the significance of Valery's age regarding the war?
5. What is the result of Oreline and Philomene being left alone on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcisse begin to hoard money and food?
2. What is the argument between Oreline and Philomene about who owes whom in Chapter 24?
3. What do the Union armies start doing, and what is Philomene's response?
4. How do Ferrier's caregivers know he is close to dying of yellow fever in Chapter 17?
5. What does Philomene name her daughter by Narcisse, and what does she say about the daughter?
6. Describe Elisabeth's encounter with a census taker.
7. Who becomes ill in Chapter 18, and who takes care of them?
8. What does Narcisse start building in Chapter 19?
9. What does Narcisse say he worries about concerning Emily?
10. How does Philomene feel about the lives of her family?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)