|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main goal Philomene and Oreline have while Valery is gone?
(a) To produce enough cotton for uniforms.
(b) To protect the farm from marauders.
(c) To protect the children.
(d) To buy back all the slaves that were sold.
2. What happens to Oreline's son in 1862?
(a) He inherits his father's farm.
(b) He decides to enlist.
(c) He dies.
(d) He is drafted as a drummer boy.
3. Who does Elisabeth encounter one day and feed him leftovers?
(a) A young woman who knows Clement.
(b) Her son that she was forced to leave behind years earlier.
(c) A white preacher.
(d) An elderly black man who remembers Africa.
4. With what does Philomene say her family's lives are filled?
(a) Unusual good luck.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Bad luck.
5. Who owns Billes General Store?
(c) Yellow John.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomene say Emily is doing with Narcisse when Emily is 10?
2. What do Narcisse and Oreline wait to tell Philomene until she is better?
3. What does Emily say many people call her?
4. What is wrong with Ferrier?
5. How many slaves must a man own in order to be draft exempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcisse begin to hoard money and food?
2. Why does Philomene send Bet to Joseph's store where Emily is working?
3. How do Ferrier's caregivers know he is close to dying of yellow fever in Chapter 17?
4. What do the Union armies start doing, and what is Philomene's response?
5. What does Emily admit to Bet about Emily's feelings concerning Elisabeth?
6. What is Philomene's vision when she is ill in Chapter 18?
7. What does Philomene name her daughter by Narcisse, and what does she say about the daughter?
8. Describe Elisabeth's encounter with a census taker.
9. In Chapter 19, what does Elisabeth say about Philomene's visions, and how does Philomene plan to use them on Narcisse?
10. What do Narcisse, Antoine Morat and Joseph Ferrier who come to visit Joseph tell him?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)