|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Chapter 6?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 10 years.
2. What does Elisabeth know about Suzette and Nicholas in Chapter 2?
(a) They have secretly decided to marry.
(b) Nicholas plans to take Suzette to freedom.
(c) Suzette is enamored of Nicholas.
(d) They have been together a few times.
3. What does Clement almost get caught in while on the river?
(b) A sand bar.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A log jam.
4. In Chapter 4, with whom does Eugene move in?
(c) His brother.
5. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Slips away and makes love with him.
(d) Takes care of his young son.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what was Philomene afraid Narcisse would interfere?
2. Why does Joseph say he wants to buy Clement?
3. Why does Suzette send word to the slave quarters the minute Francoise dies?
4. Where does Clement live in Chapter 13?
5. What does Philomene ask Suzette concerning Narcisse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philomene say to Clement in Chapter 12 when he tells her he traveled by boat to visit her?
2. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
3. What do Garasime and Elisabeth say about the slave auction?
4. Who is Suzette's father, and what does he do?
5. What present is mentioned in Chapter 13 that Clement is making for Philomene?
6. What does Suzette pretend regarding Francoise, but what are Suzette's real feelings?
7. What does the overseer announce to Francoise one day?
8. Of whom does Eugene Daurat remind Suzette?
9. What does Suzette say about her relationship to Eugene?
10. Of what is Philomene aware concerning her emerging womanhood?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)