|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Philomene in love in Chapter 8?
2. How does Palmire communicate?
(b) Just like everyone else.
(c) With gestures.
3. What does Suzette think when she is ill in Chapter 4?
(a) She has typhus.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She has yellow fever.
4. What does the overseer recommend in Chapter 6 in order for Francoise to get some needed cash?
(a) Find a wealthy man to marry.
(b) Plant cotton in more of the acreage.
(c) Rotate among more crops.
(d) Sell some slaves.
5. With what was Philomene afraid Narcisse would interfere?
(a) Being freed.
(b) Marrying Clement.
(c) Being sold to Clement's owner.
(d) What she names her new daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
2. Who buys Gerant?
3. What upsets Oreline about her aunt's actions to get money?
4. What does Suzette say about the relationship between Doralise and Philippe?
5. What is Elisabeth's job at the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Narcisse ask Tessier concerning Clement?
2. What does Oreline say upon learning of Suzette's pregnancy, and what is Suzette's response?
3. What does Elisabeth urge Philomene to tell Clement?
4. What is Suzette's job in the household, and how does that affect her life?
5. How does Elisabeth treat Suzette after Suzette gives birth to Gerant?
6. What remark does Suzette make concerning Doralise's relationship with Eugene?
7. What present is mentioned in Chapter 13 that Clement is making for Philomene?
8. What does Suzette say about her relationship to Eugene?
9. What does Joseph Ferrier agree to do after Suzette talks to Oreline in Chapter 14?
10. What does Suzette ask Doralise concerning Gerant, and what is Doralise's reply?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)