|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Josephina?
(a) Suzette's new daughter.
(b) Oreline's sister-in-law.
(c) Narcisse's sister.
(d) Oreline's daughter.
2. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Sneak out to see a horse race.
(b) Take cotton to the market.
(c) Visit Philomene.
(d) ame a new stallion.
3. Of what does Narcisse's wife die?
(b) In childbirth.
4. Who buys Gerant?
(d) No one wants him.
5. With what was Philomene afraid Narcisse would interfere?
(a) Being sold to Clement's owner.
(b) Being freed.
(c) Marrying Clement.
(d) What she names her new daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philomene communicate with Gerant in Chapter 9?
2. Who does Jacques Tessier buy?
3. Who is Joseph Ferrier?
4. Who are Thany and Bet?
5. Why does Suzette send word to the slave quarters the minute Francoise dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
2. What does Philomene say to Clement in Chapter 12 when he tells her he traveled by boat to visit her?
3. What is Suzette's job in the household, and how does that affect her life?
4. What does Suzette ask Oreline to do, and what is Oreline's response?
5. Why does Francoise arrange a marriage for Oreline?
6. Of whom does Eugene Daurat remind Suzette?
7. Why does Francoise chastise Elisabeth in Chapter 1?
8. What does Elisabeth urge Philomene to tell Clement?
9. What does Suzette pretend regarding Francoise, but what are Suzette's real feelings?
10. What does Suzette say about her family after the slave auction?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)