|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jacques Tessier buy?
(a) Clement and his mother.
(b) No one.
(c) Palmire and Suzette.
(d) Gerant and Philomene.
2. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Sell it to Oreline.
(b) Signs it over to Doralise.
(c) Starts a school for freed blacks.
(d) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
3. What relation is Doralise Derbanne to Suzette?
4. What does Suzette say is all Eugene has done for her?
(a) Given her light-skinned children.
(b) Allowed her to keep being a house slave.
(c) Given her freedom upon his death.
(d) Taught her to read and write.
5. Why is Narcisse slightly in awe of Philomene?
(a) Her glimpses.
(b) Her ability to wrap her father around her finger.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Oreline refuse that Suzette asks of her in Chapter 1?
2. How does Clement earn extra money?
3. How does Palmire communicate?
4. Who is Gerant's father?
5. Who are Thany and Bet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suzette immediately do when Francoise dies?
2. What do Garasime and Elisabeth say about the slave auction?
3. What do the slaves receive for Christmas?
4. What does Philomene say to Clement in Chapter 12 when he tells her he traveled by boat to visit her?
5. What does Suzette ask Doralise concerning Gerant, and what is Doralise's reply?
6. Why does Francoise chastise Elisabeth in Chapter 1?
7. How does Philomene feel about Narcisse's marriage?
8. What does Elisabeth urge Philomene to tell Clement?
9. Of what is Philomene aware concerning her emerging womanhood?
10. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)