|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Sneak out to see a horse race.
(b) Take cotton to the market.
(c) Visit Philomene.
(d) ame a new stallion.
2. To whom is Eugene Daurat related?
(a) No one else who appears in the novel.
(d) The Derbannes.
3. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Starts a school for freed blacks.
(b) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
(c) Signs it over to Doralise.
(d) Sell it to Oreline.
4. Why do the lives of the slaves improve in the time leading up to their being sold?
(a) A new overseer has been hired.
(b) The cruel overseer has been sold.
(c) They want the slaves to look good for the sale.
(d) Oreline demands that the overseer treat them better.
5. Who goes to Elisabeth after having a "glimpsing"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oreline buy?
2. With what was Philomene afraid Narcisse would interfere?
3. To whom is Suzette nursemaid?
4. What does Clement lose sight of when he gets to shore?
5. Why is Philomene glad Narcisse has remarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Garasime and Elisabeth say about the slave auction?
2. What does Joseph Ferrier agree to do after Suzette talks to Oreline in Chapter 14?
3. What does Suzette ask Doralise concerning Gerant, and what is Doralise's reply?
4. With whom is Suzette enamored, but what is her mother's response to that?
5. What does Suzette ask Oreline to do, and what is Oreline's response?
6. What does Elisabeth urge Philomene to tell Clement?
7. Why does Francoise arrange a marriage for Oreline?
8. Why does Suzette steal some eggs and take them to Palmire?
9. What remark does Suzette make concerning Doralise's relationship with Eugene?
10. What does Philomene say to Clement in Chapter 12 when he tells her he traveled by boat to visit her?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)