|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Suzette do to Madame Derbanne's favorite roses the next morning after the opening of Cane River?
(a) Prunes them.
(b) Waters them.
(c) Tears off all the flowers.
(d) Pees on them.
2. To whom is Eugene Daurat related?
(a) No one else who appears in the novel.
(c) The Derbannes.
3. What would happen if Suzette and Nicholas marry?
(a) Nicholas would be sold.
(b) Nicholas would automatically become a slave.
(c) Suzette would be sold to the plantation where Nicholas lives.
(d) Any children they have would be considered slaves.
4. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
(a) Be confirmed.
(b) Meet a boy on a neighboring plantation.
(c) Steal a few coins.
(d) Run away.
5. Who are Thany and Bet?
(a) Narcisse's new children.
(b) Philomene and Clement's twin children.
(c) Two new field slaves at Rosedew.
(d) Josephina's twin children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
2. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
3. Why is Narcisse slightly in awe of Philomene?
4. What does Clement almost get caught in while on the river?
5. Why does Tessier tell Clement to hurry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves receive for Christmas?
2. What present is mentioned in Chapter 13 that Clement is making for Philomene?
3. What does Philomene say about her own light skin?
4. Who is Suzette's father, and what does he do?
5. What does Suzette say about her family after the slave auction?
6. How does Philomene feel about Narcisse's marriage?
7. What does Joseph Ferrier agree to do after Suzette talks to Oreline in Chapter 14?
8. Why does Francoise chastise Elisabeth in Chapter 1?
9. What does Suzette ask Doralise concerning Gerant, and what is Doralise's reply?
10. Of whom does Eugene Daurat remind Suzette?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)