|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oreline say Philomene owes Oreline?
(a) A year for each year Oreline had Clement at the farm.
(c) Six months of work.
(d) Money for years of room and board.
2. What are Joesph's cousins' response to the prospect of Emily living with Joseph as a lover?
(a) They tell Joseph he is tainting the family name.
(b) They threaten Joseph with disinheritance.
(c) They are derisive.
(d) They are glad Joseph has found love.
3. What causes Clement to drown?
(a) He is bitten by a snake.
(b) His horse throws him as they are crossing the river.
(c) He is knocked unconscious by a sail boom.
(d) He gets caught under a rock in the river.
4. How many slaves must a man own in order to be draft exempt?
(a) At least 130.
(b) 20 or more.
(d) No more than 50.
5. How many children has Narcisse fathered over recent years?
6. What does Philomene say Emily is doing with Narcisse when Emily is 10?
(a) Reading to him.
(b) Traveling to New York.
(c) Emily is nursing Narcisse.
(d) Riding a train.
7. Who is Antoine Morat?
(a) The magistrate.
(b) A man just moved to the area from France.
(c) Joseph's business partner.
(d) The last person who owned Elisabeth.
8. Of what does Oreline seem afraid when talking to Philomene in Chapter 17?
(c) Clement fleeing for the North.
(d) Philomene killing herself and her children.
9. How do Augustine's letters change over a six-month period?
(a) From homesick to hardened.
(b) From saying he is always tired to saying he is fit.
(c) From hopeful to pessimistic.
(d) From glorious descriptions to bitter.
10. What does Philomene think a jealous God might do?
(a) Nothing because she thinks God is not jealous of slaves.
(b) Take away her happiness.
(c) Kill her daughters also.
(d) Take Clement in trade for her newborns.
11. What is the result of Oreline and Philomene being left alone on the farm?
(a) Their roles become intertwined.
(b) Philomene forgives Oreline and they become like sisters.
(c) The two become rivals for power.
(d) The two become rivals for the children's love.
12. What happens to Philomene when she is ill?
(a) She forgives Oreline.
(b) She has a vision.
(c) She puts a curse on Oreline.
(d) She goes blind.
13. What makes it clear that the situation in the South is becoming serious at the opening of Chapter 22?
(a) More men are conscripted involuntarily.
(b) Men are being trained as spies.
(c) Women are recruited to sew uniforms.
(d) Confederate money begins to circulate.
14. How much money does Narcisse have to pay to be draft exempt?
(a) 500 dollars.
(b) 1,000 dollars.
(c) 2,000 dollars.
(d) There is no way to buy out of the draft.
15. What is the white community grumbling about according to Narcisse, Antoine and Joseph Ferrier?
(a) That Joseph has hired a negro bookkeeper.
(b) That Joseph sent his cousins away.
(c) That Joseph tries to pass his children off as all white.
(d) That Joseph is openly living with Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Narcisse decide to join the war effort?
2. Who does Joseph think has cheated him?
3. Why is Narcisse better off than some plantation owners?
4. Why does Suzette return to Oreline's homestead?
5. Of what does Narcisse say Emily will not be forgiven?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)