|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes it clear that the situation in the South is becoming serious at the opening of Chapter 22?
(a) Women are recruited to sew uniforms.
(b) Men are being trained as spies.
(c) More men are conscripted involuntarily.
(d) Confederate money begins to circulate.
2. Who is Mina?
(a) Orelines biological daughter.
(b) Valery's niece.
(c) Valery's daughter.
(d) Oreline's niece who is now living with them.
3. Why is Narcisse better off than some plantation owners?
(a) His slaves respect him.
(b) He still has some cotton.
(c) He was not injured in the war.
(d) His home is still standing.
4. What does Philomene realize as she see Clement in Chapter 16?
(a) He is sad about their dead son.
(b) He is the kindest man she's ever known.
(c) He will do anything to keep his family happy.
(d) This is the realization of her vision from long ago.
5. What does Philomene see Clement doing at the opening of Chapter 16?
(b) Feeding a baby squirrel.
(d) Holding one of their daughters.
6. What is said of Valery Houbre's children?
(a) They miss their mother who is dead.
(b) He has no children.
(c) They are both young adults.
(d) They died with the fever also.
7. Upon whose largesse does Philomene say her family depends?
8. How does Oreline justify not talking to Philomene about Clement?
(a) Oreline was afraid Philomene would curse her.
(b) Oreline says it was easier on Clement to go without saying goodbye.
(c) The steamer was leaving immediately.
(d) Oreline was afraid Philomene would miscarry.
9. How much money does Narcisse have to pay to be draft exempt?
(a) 500 dollars.
(b) 2,000 dollars.
(c) There is no way to buy out of the draft.
(d) 1,000 dollars.
10. What does Emily admit concerning Elisabeth?
(a) Emily was ashamed of her.
(b) Emily adored her.
(c) Emily thought she was too harsh a disciplinarian.
(d) Emily was afraid of her censure.
11. Of what does Oreline seem afraid when talking to Philomene in Chapter 17?
(b) Clement fleeing for the North.
(d) Philomene killing herself and her children.
12. Why is it surprising that someone besides Philomene sometimes cooks?
(a) Field hands are not usually allowed in the kitchen, but now they are.
(b) No one else has ever learned to cook.
(c) Philomene usually does not allow any other slave in kitchen.
(d) Cooking is considered manual labor and beneath white women, but they are cooking now.
13. What is wrong with Ferrier?
(a) Snake bite.
(b) Broken collar bone.
(c) Head injury.
(d) Yellow fever.
14. Where is Billes General Store located?
(a) In a tiny community called Slocum
(b) In a tiny community called Aloha.
(c) Near Mobile.
(d) On Grand Island.
15. What does Philomene want Joseph to do in Chapter 33?
(a) Give more attention to his children.
(b) Not be ashamed to take Emily in public.
(c) Take better care of Emily.
(d) Give more money to helping former slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomene think a jealous God might do?
2. What does Philomene feel as she makes a realization about Clement in Chapter 16?
3. Where does Philomene live now?
4. Where had Joseph been during the days of slavery?
5. What does it mean when Ferrier begins to bleed from the eyes and mouth?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)