|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oreline beg Valery to do?
(a) Stay home.
(b) Pretend to be disabled.
(c) Go North and fight for the Union.
(d) Join the military.
2. What is said of Valery Houbre's children?
(a) He has no children.
(b) They died with the fever also.
(c) They miss their mother who is dead.
(d) They are both young adults.
3. What is wrong with Ferrier?
(a) Yellow fever.
(b) Broken collar bone.
(c) Head injury.
(d) Snake bite.
4. Who are Joseph and Josephine?
(a) Oreline's twin cousins.
(b) Oreline's children from her first marriage.
(c) Oreline's just-born set of twins from her marriage with Valery.
(d) Philamone's second set of twins.
5. Where had Joseph been during the days of slavery?
6. Who is Angelite's mother?
7. Why is it surprising that someone besides Philomene sometimes cooks?
(a) No one else has ever learned to cook.
(b) Philomene usually does not allow any other slave in kitchen.
(c) Cooking is considered manual labor and beneath white women, but they are cooking now.
(d) Field hands are not usually allowed in the kitchen, but now they are.
8. Who does Elisabeth encounter one day and feed him leftovers?
(a) Her son that she was forced to leave behind years earlier.
(b) An elderly black man who remembers Africa.
(c) A young woman who knows Clement.
(d) A white preacher.
9. Who falls ill in Chapter 18?
(a) Philomene, her twin daughters and Oreline.
(d) Phiomene's one daughter and Narcisse.
10. Why does Suzette return to Oreline's homestead?
(a) To help care for Philomene.
(b) The family she went to cannot afford to keep her.
(c) To help Oreline with the birth of her newest child.
(d) To be at Clement's burial.
11. What happens to Oreline's son in 1862?
(a) He is drafted as a drummer boy.
(b) He decides to enlist.
(c) He dies.
(d) He inherits his father's farm.
12. What does Emily admit concerning Elisabeth?
(a) Emily thought she was too harsh a disciplinarian.
(b) Emily was ashamed of her.
(c) Emily was afraid of her censure.
(d) Emily adored her.
13. What does Emily say many people call her?
14. What is the main goal Philomene and Oreline have while Valery is gone?
(a) To buy back all the slaves that were sold.
(b) To protect the children.
(c) To protect the farm from marauders.
(d) To produce enough cotton for uniforms.
15. Why does Oreline resist Narcisse's advice?
(a) Oreline thinks there are not enough slaves to work more acres.
(b) Oreline believes her new husband should make the decision.
(c) Oreline sees the slaves as like family.
(d) Oreline believes Narcisse does not have her best interests at heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomene feel as she makes a realization about Clement in Chapter 16?
2. For what concession is Gerant willing to work any amount asked of him?
3. What is the white community grumbling about according to Narcisse, Antoine and Joseph Ferrier?
4. What does Philomene say about Emily in Chapter 21?
5. What is the significance of Valery's age regarding the war?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)