|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What number child is Emily pregnant with in Chapter 34?
2. Where had Joseph been during the days of slavery?
3. What happens to Philomene when she is ill?
(a) She forgives Oreline.
(b) She puts a curse on Oreline.
(c) She has a vision.
(d) She goes blind.
4. With whom does Narcisse say Suzette can be placed?
(a) With a family in Virginia.
(b) With Narcisse's brother.
(c) Narcisse recommends not selling Suzette.
(d) Narcisse recommends freeing Suzette.
5. What does Philomene want Joseph to do in Chapter 33?
(a) Take better care of Emily.
(b) Give more money to helping former slaves.
(c) Give more attention to his children.
(d) Not be ashamed to take Emily in public.
6. What does Augustine advise Narcisse to do concerning the draft?
(a) To move out West and volunteer to fight Indians.
(b) To avoid serving by any means possible.
(c) Augustine gives no advice as he has been killed.
(d) To volunteer as he will get an easier assignment.
7. What does Philomene say about Emily in Chapter 21?
(a) She must not know who her father is.
(b) She will become a teacher.
(c) She must never work in the fields.
(d) She will be free someday.
8. For what is Oreline unprepared?
(a) The torrential rains.
(b) The harvest season.
(c) Her husband's death.
(d) The new baby about to be born.
9. What year does Narcisse decide to join the war effort?
10. What do Narcisse and Oreline wait to tell Philomene until she is better?
(a) That Clement has drowned.
(b) That Oreline's son is dead.
(c) That both twins have died.
(d) That Bet is dead but Thany has recovered.
11. Why does Oreline resist Narcisse's advice?
(a) Oreline thinks there are not enough slaves to work more acres.
(b) Oreline believes her new husband should make the decision.
(c) Oreline sees the slaves as like family.
(d) Oreline believes Narcisse does not have her best interests at heart.
12. What does Philomene think a jealous God might do?
(a) Take Clement in trade for her newborns.
(b) Nothing because she thinks God is not jealous of slaves.
(c) Kill her daughters also.
(d) Take away her happiness.
13. How much money does Narcisse have to pay to be draft exempt?
(a) 500 dollars.
(b) 2,000 dollars.
(c) There is no way to buy out of the draft.
(d) 1,000 dollars.
14. What happens to Elisabeth in Chapter 34?
(a) She has a stroke and is bedridden.
(b) She is given a surprise party.
(c) Oreline takes her into Oreline's home.
(d) She dies.
15. Who is Angelite's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said of Valery Houbre's children?
2. For what concession is Gerant willing to work any amount asked of him?
3. Of what does Narcisse say Emily will not be forgiven?
4. Who does Joseph think has cheated him?
5. Of what does Oreline seem afraid when talking to Philomene in Chapter 17?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)