|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Joesph's cousins' response to the prospect of Emily living with Joseph as a lover?
(a) They threaten Joseph with disinheritance.
(b) They tell Joseph he is tainting the family name.
(c) They are derisive.
(d) They are glad Joseph has found love.
2. How do Augustine's letters change over a six-month period?
(a) From homesick to hardened.
(b) From saying he is always tired to saying he is fit.
(c) From glorious descriptions to bitter.
(d) From hopeful to pessimistic.
3. Who is Antoine Morat?
(a) A man just moved to the area from France.
(b) The last person who owned Elisabeth.
(c) Joseph's business partner.
(d) The magistrate.
4. What does Narcisse remove from a wall in his home when he plans to marry?
(a) Two muskets.
(b) A picture of Philomene.
(c) A picture of Emily.
(d) A picture of his dead wife.
5. What is one fact that Bet reminds Emily of about Narcisse?
(a) That he will never marry a negro.
(b) That he sold Bet's father away from the family.
(c) That he cheated the freed slaves.
(d) That he has been good to the family.
6. What number child is Emily pregnant with in Chapter 34?
7. What is Valery Houbre's occupation?
(a) School teacher.
8. What does Oreline say Philomene owes Oreline?
(a) Six months of work.
(c) Money for years of room and board.
(d) A year for each year Oreline had Clement at the farm.
9. Where had Joseph been during the days of slavery?
10. What does Emily say many people call her?
11. What does Elisabeth notice when she is telling the census taker about the women of the household?
(a) He does not believe her.
(b) He is not interested in the women.
(c) He wants a lot of information about them.
(d) He is derisive of former slaves.
12. What is the main goal Philomene and Oreline have while Valery is gone?
(a) To protect the farm from marauders.
(b) To buy back all the slaves that were sold.
(c) To produce enough cotton for uniforms.
(d) To protect the children.
13. Who owns Billes General Store?
(a) Yellow John.
14. How old is Emily when Valery leaves to join the war effort?
15. What is wrong with Ferrier?
(a) Snake bite.
(b) Head injury.
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Broken collar bone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Clement to drown?
2. With whom does Narcisse say Suzette can be placed?
3. What is the significance of Valery's age regarding the war?
4. What do Joseph's cousins assume when they come to live with him and Emily?
5. How many children has Narcisse fathered over recent years?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)