|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Take cotton to the market.
(b) Sneak out to see a horse race.
(c) Visit Philomene.
(d) ame a new stallion.
2. With what was Philomene afraid Narcisse would interfere?
(a) What she names her new daughter.
(b) Marrying Clement.
(c) Being sold to Clement's owner.
(d) Being freed.
3. Why is Clement bruising by the time he gets to Philomene in Chapter 15?
(a) He fell into a bear hole.
(b) Narcisse beat him.
(c) He was kicked by the foundered horse.
(d) He hit rocks when swimming to shore.
4. Who does Madame Derbanne chastise at the beginning of the book?
(a) Monsieur Derbanne.
5. Who is Joseph Ferrier?
(a) A man who is hired as the new overseer.
(b) A soldier who comes and ransacks the plantation.
(c) A freed black who is in love with Suzette.
(d) The man who Francoise arranges a marriage to for Oreline.
6. Why does Oreline refuse Suzette's request in Chapter 1?
(a) She does not know how to write either.
(b) She is mean hearted
(c) She is afraid of being sold.
(d) She is unwilling to hide anything from her aunt and uncle.
7. What request does Oreline refuse that Suzette asks of her in Chapter 1?
(a) To help her meet with a young man on a neighboring plantation.
(b) To help her learn to write.
(c) To teach her to read.
(d) To help her escape.
8. What role is difficult for Eugene in Chapter 9?
(a) Slave trader.
(b) Executor of Rosedew.
(c) Father of Philomene.
(d) Executioner for two slaves who tried to escape.
9. What would happen if Suzette and Nicholas marry?
(a) Any children they have would be considered slaves.
(b) Nicholas would be sold.
(c) Nicholas would automatically become a slave.
(d) Suzette would be sold to the plantation where Nicholas lives.
10. Who does Oreline buy?
(a) Suzette, Philomene and Palmire.
(b) Gerant and Suzette.
(c) Just Suzette.
(d) Philomene and Palmire.
11. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
(b) Signs it over to Doralise.
(c) Starts a school for freed blacks.
(d) Sell it to Oreline.
12. What relation is Narcisse to Oreline?
(a) Aunt and niece.
(d) Mother and daughter.
13. What about Philomene is dangerous for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Her ability to read.
(b) Her emerging womanhood.
(c) Her outspoken nature.
(d) Her desire for freedom.
14. How old is Suzette at the opening of Chapter 3?
15. Who does Jacques Tessier buy?
(a) Gerant and Philomene.
(b) No one.
(c) Palmire and Suzette.
(d) Clement and his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Suzette say about the relationship between Doralise and Philippe?
2. What does Suzette slip out to the slave quarters to give Palmire in Chapter 7?
3. Why do the lives of the slaves improve in the time leading up to their being sold?
4. Why is Narcisse slightly in awe of Philomene?
5. Why does Joseph say he wants to buy Clement?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)