|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role is difficult for Eugene in Chapter 9?
(a) Slave trader.
(b) Father of Philomene.
(c) Executioner for two slaves who tried to escape.
(d) Executor of Rosedew.
2. What does Elisabeth know about Suzette and Nicholas in Chapter 2?
(a) Nicholas plans to take Suzette to freedom.
(b) They have been together a few times.
(c) Suzette is enamored of Nicholas.
(d) They have secretly decided to marry.
3. How does Palmire communicate?
(a) Just like everyone else.
(c) With gestures.
4. Why is Narcisse slightly in awe of Philomene?
(a) Her ability to wrap her father around her finger.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her glimpses.
(d) Her beauty.
5. Upon how many different plantations do Suzette's family members live in Chapter 9?
6. What does Suzette say about Doralise when talking to Philomene?
(a) Doralise is sad.
(b) Doralise is generous.
(c) Doralise manipulates situations to her benefit only.
(d) Doralise is pregnant.
7. With whom is Philomene in love in Chapter 8?
8. Where does Clement live in Chapter 13?
(b) A plantation about fifty miles from Philomene.
(c) With Philomene on her plantation.
(d) A plantation not far from Philomene
9. Who is Joseph Ferrier?
(a) The man who Francoise arranges a marriage to for Oreline.
(b) A man who is hired as the new overseer.
(c) A freed black who is in love with Suzette.
(d) A soldier who comes and ransacks the plantation.
10. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Starts a school for freed blacks.
(b) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
(c) Signs it over to Doralise.
(d) Sell it to Oreline.
11. Who is Josephina?
(a) Narcisse's sister.
(b) Oreline's sister-in-law.
(c) Oreline's daughter.
(d) Suzette's new daughter.
12. What relation is Narcisse to Oreline?
(b) Mother and daughter.
(d) Aunt and niece.
13. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
(a) Meet a boy on a neighboring plantation.
(b) Steal a few coins.
(c) Be confirmed.
(d) Run away.
14. What do Clement and Philomene have permission to do?
(a) Go to school in the evenings.
(c) Visit each other every other Sunday.
(d) Trade plantations.
15. Why does Suzette stop to check on Gerasime in Chapter 7?
(a) He was whipped by the overseer.
(b) He has cancer.
(c) She has the flu.
(d) He fell off the wagon and broke his leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomene ask Suzette concerning Narcisse?
2. What has Madame Derbanne just done to Suzette as the book opens?
3. What is one thing the slaves receive for Christmas in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Jacques Tessier buy?
5. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)