|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the lives of the slaves improve in the time leading up to their being sold?
(a) They want the slaves to look good for the sale.
(b) A new overseer has been hired.
(c) Oreline demands that the overseer treat them better.
(d) The cruel overseer has been sold.
2. What do Clement and Philomene have permission to do?
(a) Visit each other every other Sunday.
(b) Trade plantations.
(d) Go to school in the evenings.
3. In Chapter 8, what do Gerasime and Elisabeth say they will not do?
(a) Seek a new mate.
(b) Leave the plantation alive.
(c) Curse God.
4. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Chapter 6?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 2 years.
5. Why is Philomene glad Narcisse has remarried?
(a) He is moving to his wife's farm in Virginia.
(b) He is bossed around by his wife.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is less likely to bother Philomene.
6. Who goes to Elisabeth after having a "glimpsing"?
7. What does Philomene glimpse as the cause of Clement's death?
(b) Old age.
(d) Broken neck.
8. What relation is Narcisse to Oreline?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(b) Aunt and niece.
9. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
(a) Be confirmed.
(b) Run away.
(c) Steal a few coins.
(d) Meet a boy on a neighboring plantation.
10. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Sell it to Oreline.
(b) Signs it over to Doralise.
(c) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
(d) Starts a school for freed blacks.
11. What is Suzette's relationship to Palmire and Apphia?
(a) Just friends.
(c) She does not know either of them.
12. Who is often loaned to other plantation to provide music?
13. What is the year at the opening to Chapter 2?
14. What does Suzette pretend in front of Francoise in Chapter 7?
(a) That Suzette does not want to be freed.
(b) That Suzette cares what happens to Francoise.
(c) That Suzette no longer sees Eugene.
(d) That Suzette is happy.
15. What does Elisabeth know about Suzette and Nicholas in Chapter 2?
(a) They have secretly decided to marry.
(b) Nicholas plans to take Suzette to freedom.
(c) They have been together a few times.
(d) Suzette is enamored of Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomene ask Suzette concerning Narcisse?
2. How does Clement earn extra money?
3. What does Philomene do when Clement arrives?
4. What does Narcisse seem indifferent about when Clement comes and talks to him?
5. What does Suzette say about the relationship between Doralise and Philippe?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)