|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clement throw a chair out of the boat?
(a) To lighten the boat.
(b) To test the current.
(c) To hold on to and float.
(d) To get the chair to shore.
2. What does Philomene glimpse as the cause of Clement's death?
(c) Broken neck.
(d) Old age.
3. What is the year at the opening to Chapter 2?
4. What is Narcisse's body build?
(c) Extremely obese.
5. What do Clement and Philomene have permission to do?
(a) Trade plantations.
(b) Go to school in the evenings.
(c) Visit each other every other Sunday.
6. What does Eugene do with some property he and Doralise shared?
(a) Makes Gerant the heir to the property.
(b) Sell it to Oreline.
(c) Signs it over to Doralise.
(d) Starts a school for freed blacks.
7. What does Oreline tell Suzette when Oreline arrives on account of Francoise's death?
(a) She will buy Suzette and Philomene.
(b) She will set Suzette free.
(c) She cannot buy any of the slaves.
(d) She will help Suzette escape to the North.
8. Why do the lives of the slaves improve in the time leading up to their being sold?
(a) A new overseer has been hired.
(b) Oreline demands that the overseer treat them better.
(c) The cruel overseer has been sold.
(d) They want the slaves to look good for the sale.
9. What does Garasime say is attached to the slaves after the assessors come?
(a) A taint.
(b) A price.
(c) A future.
(d) A scar.
10. Who is often loaned to other plantation to provide music?
11. Of what does Narcisse's wife die?
(d) In childbirth.
12. With whom is Philomene in love in Chapter 8?
13. What does Francoise worry about concerning Oreline?
(a) That she will never have children.
(b) That she will join a convent as she has threatened.
(c) That she will never marry.
(d) That she will marry Eugene.
14. Why is Narcisse slightly in awe of Philomene?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her ability to wrap her father around her finger.
(d) Her glimpses.
15. What does Narcisse seem indifferent about when Clement comes and talks to him?
(a) Clement's marriage to Philomene.
(b) The loss of the bear skins.
(c) His best horse has foundered.
(d) The loss of the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys Gerant?
2. What is returned to Tessier that keeps him from selling Clement to Narcisse?
3. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
4. Why does Suzette stop to check on Gerasime in Chapter 7?
5. Who goes to Elisabeth after having a "glimpsing"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)