|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philomene ask Suzette concerning Narcisse?
(a) If Philomene can do anything if Narcisse tries to rape her.
(b) If Narcisse was Francois' lover.
(c) If Narcisse is her brother.
(d) If Narcisse is a kind man.
2. What does Clement lose sight of when he gets to shore?
(a) His brother.
(b) The chair.
(c) Some barrels of oil.
(d) The boat.
3. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Chapter 6?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 6 months.
4. What does Suzette do to Madame Derbanne's favorite roses the next morning after the opening of Cane River?
(a) Pees on them.
(b) Prunes them.
(c) Waters them.
(d) Tears off all the flowers.
5. What is one thing the slaves receive for Christmas in Chapter 3?
(b) Their freedom.
(d) A trip to visit relatives on other plantations.
6. What does Oreline tell Suzette when Oreline arrives on account of Francoise's death?
(a) She will help Suzette escape to the North.
(b) She will set Suzette free.
(c) She will buy Suzette and Philomene.
(d) She cannot buy any of the slaves.
7. Why does Joseph say he wants to buy Clement?
(a) To make him pay for the lost coon skins.
(b) To unite him with Philomene.
(c) For his blacksmith skills.
(d) He is an honest slave.
8. Why is Philomene glad Narcisse has remarried?
(a) He is less likely to bother Philomene.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is bossed around by his wife.
(d) He is moving to his wife's farm in Virginia.
9. What is returned to Tessier that keeps him from selling Clement to Narcisse?
(a) A satchel of money.
(b) Three escaped slaves.
(c) The boat and furs.
(d) The barrels of oil.
10. In Chapter 4, with whom does Eugene move in?
(d) His brother.
11. What is Suzette's relationship to Palmire and Apphia?
(a) Just friends.
(c) She does not know either of them.
12. Who is Joseph Ferrier?
(a) A man who is hired as the new overseer.
(b) The man who Francoise arranges a marriage to for Oreline.
(c) A freed black who is in love with Suzette.
(d) A soldier who comes and ransacks the plantation.
13. Why does Suzette send word to the slave quarters the minute Francoise dies?
(a) So they can prepare for any consequences of Francoise's death.
(b) So they can don black armbands.
(c) So they can quit working.
(d) So they can put in motion their plans to escape.
14. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Take cotton to the market.
(b) Sneak out to see a horse race.
(c) ame a new stallion.
(d) Visit Philomene.
15. What is Elisabeth's job at the plantation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clement bruising by the time he gets to Philomene in Chapter 15?
2. How does Palmire communicate?
3. Who buys Gerant?
4. What is Suzette about to do at the opening to Chapter 2?
5. What does the overseer recommend in Chapter 6 in order for Francoise to get some needed cash?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)