|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oreline tell Suzette when Oreline arrives on account of Francoise's death?
(a) She will help Suzette escape to the North.
(b) She cannot buy any of the slaves.
(c) She will buy Suzette and Philomene.
(d) She will set Suzette free.
2. In Chapter 4, with whom does Eugene move in?
(b) His brother.
3. To whom is Suzette nursemaid?
(b) No one.
4. Who does Jacques Tessier buy?
(a) Palmire and Suzette.
(b) No one.
(c) Gerant and Philomene.
(d) Clement and his mother.
5. What does Suzette pretend in front of Francoise in Chapter 7?
(a) That Suzette no longer sees Eugene.
(b) That Suzette does not want to be freed.
(c) That Suzette is happy.
(d) That Suzette cares what happens to Francoise.
6. Who is Gerant's father?
(b) No one knows.
(c) Monsieur Derbanne.
7. What upsets Oreline about her aunt's actions to get money?
(a) That she is trying to get Oreline to marry a wealthy gambler.
(b) That she sold Palmire's children.
(c) That she won't sell some of the fallow acres.
(d) That she is flirting with a man of dubious reputation.
8. What does Suzette say about the relationship between Doralise and Philippe?
(a) It is deteriorating.
(b) It is romantic.
(c) It is blissful.
(d) It is lopsided.
9. Who is Joseph Ferrier?
(a) A soldier who comes and ransacks the plantation.
(b) The man who Francoise arranges a marriage to for Oreline.
(c) A freed black who is in love with Suzette.
(d) A man who is hired as the new overseer.
10. What does Garasime say is attached to the slaves after the assessors come?
(a) A taint.
(b) A price.
(c) A scar.
(d) A future.
11. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Chapter 6?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
12. What is Clement preparing to do in Chapter 13?
(a) ame a new stallion.
(b) Visit Philomene.
(c) Sneak out to see a horse race.
(d) Take cotton to the market.
13. What role is difficult for Eugene in Chapter 9?
(a) Father of Philomene.
(b) Executioner for two slaves who tried to escape.
(c) Slave trader.
(d) Executor of Rosedew.
14. Who is often loaned to other plantation to provide music?
15. What is Elisabeth's job at the plantation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clement planning to deliver to Narcisse on his trip in Chapter 13?
2. What has Madame Derbanne just done to Suzette as the book opens?
3. What is the year at the opening to Chapter 2?
4. Who is Josephina?
5. In Chapter 10, who does Philomene glimpse as missing from the family in the future?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)