|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 31-37.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Valery Houbre's occupation?
(a) School teacher.
2. What is the significance of Valery's age regarding the war?
(a) He is too young to command a company.
(b) There is nothing significant about Valery's age.
(c) He is exempt from serving in the military.
(d) He is only allowed to be with the medical corps.
3. How does Philomene communicate with Gerant in Chapter 9?
(a) Suzette carries notes back and forth.
(b) Doralise carries notes back and forth.
(c) They talk to each other in church on Sundays.
(d) They are unable to communicate.
4. Why doesn't Narcisse join the regular army?
(a) He is blind in one eye.
(b) He says he is needed to run the plantation.
(c) He thinks the South will win in the first month of war.
(d) He believes slaves should be set free.
5. What about Philomene is dangerous for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Her ability to read.
(b) Her desire for freedom.
(c) Her emerging womanhood.
(d) Her outspoken nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oreline refuse Suzette's request in Chapter 1?
2. What does Suzette slip out to the slave quarters to give Palmire in Chapter 7?
3. How old is Suzette at the opening of Chapter 3?
4. Upon how many different plantations do Suzette's family members live in Chapter 9?
5. Where does Narcisse decide to send Emily for more education?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)