|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandra Avenue near?
2. What is Angelo's occupation?
3. What is a postal worker counting while the narrator is there?
4. What drug does Paul Hillman sell?
5. What does the narrator tell Candy they can do once they successfully detox?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's favorite childhood memory?
2. Why does the narrator take a tram?
3. What does the narrator do in the postal office that gets him arrested?
4. What does the narrator say detox is like?
5. Why does the narrator not think the boat dream refers to his drug use?
6. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
7. What does the narrator use his Femoral vein for, and what does this indicate?
8. How does the narrator feel while cooking?
9. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
10. What do Candy and the narrator do to try and get through detoxing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the narrator's two loves, and how did he balance his need for both in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Where did the theme of addiction come into play in this book, and what message was sent through this theme?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)