|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old hitchhiker call the narrator and Candy?
2. What does the narrator do when he gets home after getting stitches?
3. What is Angelo's nickname?
4. What does freelancing mean for Candy?
5. How much money does the narrator make from David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
2. What kinds of things did Candy do after the narrator went to Sydney?
3. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
4. What does the narrator do in the postal office that gets him arrested?
5. What does the narrator say insanity is?
6. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
7. Why does the narrator take a tram?
8. What does the narrator use his Femoral vein for, and what does this indicate?
9. What does the narrator feel swallowed up by in Chapter 14?
10. What do Candy and the narrator do to try and get through detoxing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dishonesty was a vice that a number of characters were burdened with. Which characters were most affected by this, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What does the narrator see as the major turning point in his drug addiction, and what brought him to this point?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)