|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candy move to after leaving the warehouse?
2. What does the old hitchhiker call the narrator and Candy?
3. What is Sally's occupation?
4. What is the narrator sent to jail for after his trip to the postal office?
5. Who runs the methadone program that the narrator gets into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
2. What happens when Candy adopts Sam?
3. Why do Carl and the narrator bond?
4. What does the narrator say insanity is?
5. What does the narrator feel swallowed up by in Chapter 14?
6. Why does Kay kick the narrator out of her house?
7. What does the narrator say detox is like?
8. How does the narrator scam David?
9. What does Candy say when the narrator calls her from Sally's house, and what does the narrator think of this?
10. Why does the narrator take a tram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Candy and the narrator support their heroin addiction, and how do these methods affect their relationship for both good and bad?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced in a few places in this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)