|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call his needle scars?
2. Where is Candy heading when she picks up a hitchhiker?
3. Where does Candy move to after leaving the warehouse?
4. What kind of property do Candy and the narrator buy together?
5. Why does the narrator stop wearing a watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Candy adopts Willy?
2. Why does the narrator take a tram?
3. What is the narrator's favorite childhood memory?
4. What does the narrator do in the postal office that gets him arrested?
5. How does the narrator feel while cooking?
6. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
7. How does the narrator prove that he takes his methadone as directed?
8. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
9. What kinds of things did Candy do after the narrator went to Sydney?
10. What does the narrator say detox is like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Candy and the narrator support their heroin addiction, and how do these methods affect their relationship for both good and bad?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)