|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his detox experience?
2. Where is the narrator in his important dream?
3. Who runs the methadone program that the narrator gets into?
4. When do the narrator and Candy always promise to stop drugs?
5. What is the narrator's saddest memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's favorite childhood memory?
2. What happens when Candy adopts Willy?
3. How does the narrator feel while cooking?
4. What happens when Candy adopts Sam?
5. How does the narrator prove that he takes his methadone as directed?
6. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
7. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
8. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
9. What does the boat dream symbolize?
10. Why does Kay kick the narrator out of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Goals and the sacrifce needed to achieve goals was a major theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme, and how did it affect the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)