|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is David looking for when he meets the narrator?
2. What does freelancing mean for Candy?
3. What did the narrator once spill on heroin that he shot up?
4. What does the narrator ask for while getting his stitches?
5. Who gives the narrator and Candy money to buy property together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things did Candy do after the narrator went to Sydney?
2. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
3. Why does the narrator not think the boat dream refers to his drug use?
4. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
5. What does the narrator do in the postal office that gets him arrested?
6. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
7. Why do Carl and the narrator bond?
8. How does the narrator feel while cooking?
9. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
10. What do Candy and the narrator do to try and get through detoxing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Candy when she comes off of heroin, and why? How does the narrator respond to this?
Essay Topic 3
What does the narrator see as the major turning point in his drug addiction, and what brought him to this point?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)