|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandra Avenue near?
2. What does the narrator admire most about O'Brien?
3. What does the narrator do to try and get his mind off detoxing?
4. Why does the narrator want to go to Thailand?
5. What does the narrator say allows people to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
2. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
3. How does the narrator prove that he takes his methadone as directed?
4. Why does the narrator take a tram?
5. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
6. What kinds of things did Candy do after the narrator went to Sydney?
7. What do Candy and the narrator do to try and get through detoxing?
8. What is the narrator's favorite childhood memory?
9. How does the narrator scam David?
10. What happens when Candy adopts Willy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Dishonesty was a vice that a number of characters were burdened with. Which characters were most affected by this, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)