|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator get while at the postal office?
2. How many times does the narrator shoot up while cooking?
3. What job does Candy want the narrator to take after his meeting with Angelo?
4. How much does Casper sell his recipe for?
5. What does the man in the BMW threaten the narrator with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Carl and the narrator bond?
2. How does the narrator feel while cooking?
3. What kinds of things did Candy do after the narrator went to Sydney?
4. Why does Kay kick the narrator out of her house?
5. What does Candy say when the narrator calls her from Sally's house, and what does the narrator think of this?
6. What does the boat dream symbolize?
7. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
8. What does the narrator use his Femoral vein for, and what does this indicate?
9. Why does the narrator take a tram?
10. How does Casper living with the narrator drastically change his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the boat dream, and what does it mean? How does the narrator respond to this dream?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)