|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Methadone do?
2. What does David think he is paying for when the narrator scams him?
3. What is drying out?
4. What does the narrator call his needle scars?
5. Who is the narrator's first client when he gets the recipe right?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do in the postal office that gets him arrested?
2. What does the narrator feel swallowed up by in Chapter 14?
3. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
4. What happens when Candy adopts Willy?
5. What is the narrator's favorite childhood memory?
6. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
7. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
8. What does the narrator use his Femoral vein for, and what does this indicate?
9. What does the narrator ask for at the hospital while getting stitches, and how does the doctor reply?
10. Why do Carl and the narrator bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What changed for the narrator when he began cooking, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process of detox and the effects of it on the people going through it. Please cite excerpts from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)