|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator stay with after feeling betrayed by Candy?
2. What is different about Chapter 14?
3. Who is the narrator's first client when he gets the recipe right?
4. What does the narrator miss about his days when he first started taking heroin?
5. What is Angelo's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Candy think the narrator should take in Chapter 13, and why?
2. How does the narrator scam David?
3. Why does the narrator not think the boat dream refers to his drug use?
4. How does the narrator prove that he takes his methadone as directed?
5. What happens when the narrator meets the man in the BMW?
6. Why does Kay kick the narrator out of her house?
7. What surprises the narrator most when he visits Candy at the hospital after his stay with Sally?
8. What happens when Candy adopts Sam?
9. What does an eagle symbolize to the narrator?
10. What does the narrator ask for at the hospital while getting stitches, and how does the doctor reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)