|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator get kicked out of the Queens Road flat?
2. What is Tucker's occupation?
3. What disease does Candy get in Chapter 10?
4. What does the narrator use his welfare checks for?
5. What makes the narrator think his dead baby is alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator repeat over and over in the Prologue, and why?
2. What happens to the narrator during the drought?
3. How did drug use change Schumann's life?
4. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
5. What is the narrator arrested for while Candy is in the hospital with Hepatitis?
6. Why does the narrator think Schumann is generous?
7. How does the narrator notice that Candy has Hepatitis?
8. What does the narrator think about while his wife is in labor with their first child?
9. How does the narrator trick his friends after seeing Dirty Julie?
10. Why does the narrator go to the Cockatoo Club, and what happens to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Dishonesty was a vice that a number of characters were burdened with. Which characters were most affected by this, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How do Candy and the narrator support their heroin addiction, and how do these methods affect their relationship for both good and bad?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)