|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the narrator go without heroin during the drought?
2. Who is the first person Candy tells about her marriage?
3. What does Candy like to do at Albert Lake Park?
4. Why did Schumann stop selling drugs?
5. How does the narrator realize that Candy needs to be taken to the hospital in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator feel swallowed up by in Chapter 14?
2. Why is the narrator unreliable?
3. Why does the narrator say he ruined Candy's life?
4. Why does the narrator only get to meet Lucy once?
5. What does the narrator hope for his relationship with Candy?
6. What happens when Candy overdoses?
7. What is the title of Chapter 2, and what does it mean?
8. How does the narrator scam David?
9. When does the narrator fall in love with Candy?
10. What is freebasing?
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced in a few places in this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)