|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Schumann stop selling drugs?
2. What does Keith give as collateral for his night with Candy?
3. Where does the narrator meet Ronny Radar?
4. What does the narrator think of Schumann's death?
5. What is Kojak's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he ruined Candy's life?
2. What does the narrator do while Candy is working at the brothel in East Melbourne?
3. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
4. Why does the narrator go to the Cockatoo Club, and what happens to him there?
5. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
6. What is the narrator arrested for while Candy is in the hospital with Hepatitis?
7. What is freebasing?
8. What does the narrator think about while his wife is in labor with their first child?
9. What excuse does the narrator give for falling asleep at his wedding reception?
10. What happens when the narrator's friends confront Dirty Julie about her tainted stash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Where did the theme of addiction come into play in this book, and what message was sent through this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)