|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirty Julie hang around with?
2. Who tampers with Dirty Julie's heroin?
3. When does Candy go into labor?
4. What does Candy replace heroin with when she tries to detox?
5. How does the narrator feel during the drought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Candy, Lex and the narrator do while they are together in Melbourne?
2. What is freebasing?
3. How does Candy respond to the death of Schumann?
4. What is the narrator arrested for while Candy is in the hospital with Hepatitis?
5. How does the narrator profit from the stolen wallet?
6. Who is Tucker, and what does he do for the narrator?
7. Why is the narrator unreliable?
8. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
9. What happens to the narrator during the drought?
10. Why does the narrator go to the Cockatoo Club, and what happens to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced in a few places in this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)