|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Candy after she loses her baby?
2. Why is the narrator so sick while helping Mason?
3. What do Candy and her new husband do on their wedding night?
4. What does Keith give as collateral for his night with Candy?
5. What is the name of the other man in the foursome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator notice that Candy has Hepatitis?
2. What causes Candy to change her career?
3. What excuse does the narrator give for falling asleep at his wedding reception?
4. How does the narrator profit from the stolen wallet?
5. How does Candy respond to the death of Schumann?
6. What job does Candy take in Melbourne, and how does the narrator feel about it?
7. What does the narrator repeat over and over in the Prologue, and why?
8. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
9. Why does the narrator think Schumann is generous?
10. What is the title of Chapter 2, and what does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Candy when she comes off of heroin, and why? How does the narrator respond to this?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)