|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Candy after she loses her baby?
2. What does the narrator say he spends most of his life doing?
3. What is a heroin drought?
4. When does Candy go into labor?
5. Where does Mason want to grow a crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think Schumann is generous?
2. How does Candy respond to the death of Schumann?
3. Why does the narrator only get to meet Lucy once?
4. How does the narrator trick his friends after seeing Dirty Julie?
5. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
6. What happens when the narrator's friends confront Dirty Julie about her tainted stash?
7. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
8. Who is Tucker, and what does he do for the narrator?
9. How did drug use change Schumann's life?
10. What excuse does the narrator give for falling asleep at his wedding reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Dishonesty was a vice that a number of characters were burdened with. Which characters were most affected by this, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Candy when she comes off of heroin, and why? How does the narrator respond to this?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)