|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator invite his father to his wedding?
2. Where does Candy go to eat after her reception?
3. What kind of radio station does Schumann listen to?
4. Where does the narrator have a funeral for his baby?
5. What does Candy promise to do when she goes to Melbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Candy to change her career?
2. What is the title of Chapter 2, and what does it mean?
3. Why does the narrator think Schumann is generous?
4. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
5. How does the theft of the wallet affect the narrator later in his life?
6. What does the narrator think about while his wife is in labor with their first child?
7. How does the narrator profit from the stolen wallet?
8. How does Candy get rid of crabs?
9. Why is the narrator unreliable?
10. What happens to the narrator during the drought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)