|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Colin bring every time he meets with Candy?
2. Who tampers with Dirty Julie's heroin?
3. Who takes Candy to work while in Queens Road?
4. What does Keith give as collateral for his night with Candy?
5. How much money does Keith give up front for a night with Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator repeat over and over in the Prologue, and why?
2. Why is the narrator unreliable?
3. What excuse does the narrator give for falling asleep at his wedding reception?
4. What does the narrator think about while his wife is in labor with their first child?
5. How does Candy get rid of crabs?
6. How does the narrator profit from the stolen wallet?
7. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
8. What is a coke test?
9. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
10. Why does the narrator go to the Cockatoo Club, and what happens to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of detox and the effects of it on the people going through it. Please cite excerpts from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Carl was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What changed for the narrator when he began cooking, and why?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)