|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Keith get the money he needs for his night with Candy?
2. How is the narrator injured when Dirty Julie gets angry with his friends?
3. Who tampers with Dirty Julie's heroin?
4. What part of Melbourne is Queens Road in?
5. What is the narrator's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theft of the wallet affect the narrator later in his life?
2. What happens to the narrator during the drought?
3. Why does the narrator fall asleep at his wedding, and what do others think of this?
4. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
5. What happens when the narrator's friends confront Dirty Julie about her tainted stash?
6. Why does the narrator go to the Cockatoo Club, and what happens to him there?
7. Why is the narrator unreliable?
8. What causes Candy to change her career?
9. How do Candy and the narrator make money while living in Melbourne?
10. How does the narrator trick his friends after seeing Dirty Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did the theme of addiction come into play in this book, and what message was sent through this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)