|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirty Julie get angry with the narrator's friends?
2. Who takes care of the narrator when he gets injured by Dirty Julie's friends?
3. Who introduces Candy to heroin?
4. What makes the narrator think his dead baby is alive?
5. What does Candy replace heroin with when she tries to detox?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candy respond to the death of Schumann?
2. What job does Candy take in Melbourne, and how does the narrator feel about it?
3. What excuse does the narrator give for falling asleep at his wedding reception?
4. What happens to the narrator during the drought?
5. How does Candy get rid of crabs?
6. Why does the narrator say he ruined Candy's life?
7. What do Candy, Lex and the narrator do while they are together in Melbourne?
8. How does O'Brien get Candy to use heroin after she tries to quit?
9. What happens when the narrator's friends confront Dirty Julie about her tainted stash?
10. How does the narrator profit from the stolen wallet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of detox and the effects of it on the people going through it. Please cite excerpts from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How did Schumann die, and how did the narrator respond to this death?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)