|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
2. Why does Candide pay the Dutch captain to sail to Venice as soon as possible?
3. What do Candide and Cacambo find that takes them to the village in the mountains?
4. How does Cacambo describe Cunégonde's appearance as she has gotten older?
5. Who does Candide make a bargain with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
Essay Topic 2
Often in novels, authors use one or more of the characters to argue their own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that Voltaire uses to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Voltaire?
Essay Topic 3
Research the author, Voltaire. What in Voltaire's life or experiences may have impacted his writing in CANDIDE?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)