|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
2. What do Candide and Cacambo survive on for a month?
3. What happened to Pangloss' and the Baron's feet?
4. What does Cacambo say Cunégonde and the old woman are doing in Chapter 27?
5. Candide and Martin have dinner with guests the night after Cacambo accosts them. What do the guests complain about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Candide falls victim to many acts of trickery. How do these experiences affect Candide? Does he realize that he is being tricked? What does the ability to trick Candide show about his character? Do you think Candide's character is equipped to function in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about greed. Using examples from CANDIDE and current newspaper headlines, write an essay about greed. Include in your essay the harmful effects greed has on both the perpetrator of greed and the victims of other people's greed.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on learning to understand other cultures. What different cultures appear in Candide? Does he make an attempt to understand them better? Why should someone make the effort to understand a culture different than their own? What are the benefits and drawbacks?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)