|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of the gunfire that Candide and Martin hear while they are on the ship?
2. Why must Cacambo go to Buenos Aires?
3. What do Pangloss, Martin, and Candide learn from an old man?
4. Where is Cunégonde's brother first taken prisoner?
5. What does Cacambo say Cunégonde and the old woman are doing in Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Write an essay on the role of corporal punishment such as flogging for criminal offenses in CANDIDE. Where was it scene in the book, who did is involve, and what affect did it have on the characters?
Essay Topic 2Often in novels, authors use one or more of the characters to argue their own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that Voltaire uses to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Voltaire?
Essay Topic 3The responsibility of free will is a recurring theme in the novel. Using examples from the text, explain the arguments that characters have over the nature of free will. Do the characters seem to make decisions on their own or due to forces outside of their control?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)