|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide pay the Dutch captain to sail to Venice as soon as possible?
2. What comes out about what Pococurante does with his servant girls?
3. What do Candide and Cacambo find that takes them to the village in the mountains?
4. With whom do Candide and Martin dine the night after Cacambo leaves in Chapter 26?
5. What is it that Martin regards as just a mass of people, each with his own interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Voltaire satirized people of every walk of life, every race, religion and occupation. How do the 18th century "victims" of his satirical wit compare to contemporary examples? Are the hypocrises and social ills that Voltaire identifies similar to or different from ones society faces today?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on accepting philosophies or religions without question. Using Candide as your example, discuss how following a charismatic leader or teacher without thinking for oneself is a bad idea. In your essay include the importance of collecting divergent ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the possibility of a Utopia like Eldorado. Such a condition has been tried many times in the past but has always failed. In your essay, present a picture of a world like Eldorado that might possibly work. Then discuss why attempts to establish a Utopia have always ended in failure.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)