|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
2. What is the custom in Eldorado when someone meets the king?
3. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
4. What happens to Martin as soon as he arrives in Paris for the first time?
5. What does Cacambo explain to Candide about what happens in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the second chapter, Candide is drafted into the Bulgarian military after he drinks to the King of Bulgaria with two men he meets during his travels. How does Candide react to his initiation into the army? Do you think being in the military has a positive or negative affect on Candide's character in the rest of the novel? Why? How do you think Candide is affected by his short military character?
Essay Topic 2
Each of the characters not only has physical characteristics that identify them, but also a set of emotional or mental characteristics. Select any character from the novel and explore the psychology behind their behavior. If you use technical information, make sure to research your claims and cite all of your sources.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters are reintroduced even after their death is witnessed or described. Write an essay explaining how the false deaths of these characters affect the plot as a whole. Consider which characters were thought to have died. Is the choice of these characters significant? What role do these characters play in their appearances before and after their false deaths?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)