|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cacambo want to go as soon as possible?
2. Why do the Oreillons who captured them decide not to cook and eat Candide and Cacambo?
3. What is the sole survivor of the sunken ship?
4. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
5. What do Candide and Martin do when they first get to Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eldorado is a paradise on earth. Describe what it is about ELdorado that makes it so perfect? Can you see any flaws? Why do Candide and Cacambo decide to leave? What does this say about human nature?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, almost every character has a story of being brutally attacked, raped, or violently removed from a higher position in society. What role does violence play in the novel? Which characters are most affected by violence? Why do you think the author chose to include such graphic depictions of violence in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on satire as a literary device. Explain how satire can get a point across without being confrontational. What is the role of satire in CANDIDE? How would the book be different without satire present?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)