|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide finds them on the banks of Propontis?
2. How many times is Pangloss beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
3. Why doesn't Cunégonde know she has become ugly?
4. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
5. Candide puts out word that he will give what for an honest traveling companion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Manichaeanism. Martin insists that he is a Manichaeanist. In your essay discuss the idea that the mind is good and the body is evil. You will need to do some research into Manes, the philosopher in Persia who established this school of thought.
Essay Topic 2
Candide encounters many flawed character, and a few good ones. Cite some examples of each, and then explain whether Voltaire presents humanity as mainly good or mainly evil? How does he portray character flaws - as weaknesses or as just parts of human nature?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters are reintroduced even after their death is witnessed or described. Write an essay explaining how the false deaths of these characters affect the plot as a whole. Consider which characters were thought to have died. Is the choice of these characters significant? What role do these characters play in their appearances before and after their false deaths?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)