|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the two slaves on the ship to Contantinople turn out to be?
2. How many times is the Baron beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
3. What happens to the man on the deck of the naval vessel?
4. What is Pococurante's attitude toward his art collection?
5. What do Cunégonde's arms look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Candide goes on a truly epic journey through the course of the novel.
- Do people differ from one another that much over the course of his travels? How?
- In what ways is Candide like a traditional tragic hero? In which ways isn't he?
- Is his fate similar to the class tragic hero as discussed in class? What is his epic struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Martin says that "private griefs are crueler even than public miseries." Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Use examples from the text to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Candide and Cacambo arrive in Eldorado, they are surprised and awed by the gold roads and the children playing with jewels as if they were only pebbles. Write an essay explaining how Eldorado serves as a foil to other cities in the novel. What role do riches play in the society of Eldorado? How is this different from cities in the rest of the world? How are religion and politics carried out differently in Eldorado?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)