|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Candide and Martin first see the girl and the monk?
2. Who does the local tribe think Candide and Cacambo are?
3. When Candide and his traveling partner to Bordeaux finally reach the shore in Chapter 21, what country do they see?
4. What information does Pococurante think would be useful in scientific academy volumes?
5. What is it that Martin regards as just a mass of people, each with his own interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Candide falls victim to many acts of trickery. How do these experiences affect Candide? Does he realize that he is being tricked? What does the ability to trick Candide show about his character? Do you think Candide's character is equipped to function in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Candide selects Martin as a traveling companion because he is well educated and because he has shared the experience of suffering. How do Candide and Martin respond different to suffering? Is this significant? Which character has a better grasp on reality? Which character has a better reaction to suffering? Why did you select this character?
Essay Topic 3
Candide's adventures mirror the Biblical events from the Garden of Eden. Describe the three "paradises" he experiences (Westphalia, Eldorado and his farm). Compare and contrast his experiences at each of these places and the reasons for leaving the first two. How has Candide rediscovered a paradise? How is different form the ones he has lost?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)