|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in Eldorado?
2. What is the response to Candide's question about religion in the country with gold streets?
3. What do the English think about killing an admiral every once in a while?
4. How many scientists work on the machine built to carry Candide and Cacambo out of Eldorado?
5. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Candide's adventures serve as a frame story for the other characters' stories. How is the frame story style significant to the novel? Why do you think the author has chosen to present the stories using a frame? Do you think this is a successful endeavor?
Essay Topic 2
Candide's adventures mirror the Biblical events from the Garden of Eden. Describe the three "paradises" he experiences (Westphalia, Eldorado and his farm). Compare and contrast his experiences at each of these places and the reasons for leaving the first two. How has Candide rediscovered a paradise? How is different form the ones he has lost?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of human life. Refer to Martin's notion of people being the same as hawks that eat pigeons. Discuss the genocide in the world today in comparison to Martin's illustration. Also include how the value of a human life is perceived differently in different cultures.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)