|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many characters are reintroduced even after their death is witnessed or described. Write an essay explaining how the false deaths of these characters affect the plot as a whole. Consider which characters were thought to have died. Is the choice of these characters significant? What role do these characters play in their appearances before and after their false deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay stating your opinion on the subject of injustice. Consider in your essay the things suffered by Candide simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. You may also want to include the treatment of Cunegonde and the princess in your paper. Conclude with examples of injustice today.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes authors choose to use the characters in a novel to express their distaste or support of a particular person or social movement. Historically do you think Candide represented a particular person or movement? Why or why not? How does Voltaire use his novel as a social criticism? Do you think Voltaire is critical of a specific social movement or of society in general? Why?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)