|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Candide and his traveling partner to Bordeaux finally reach the shore in Chapter 21, what country do they see?
2. Candide and Martin are walking to dinner one night. What does Cacambo accosts Candide to tell him?
3. Why is Dr. Pangloss unhappy at the end of the story?
4. How is the problem of the Baron solved in Chapter 30?
5. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about cause and effect. Dr. Pangloss often refers to cause and effect, but he is also often wrong in his conclusions. Select for your essay a topic like global warming to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Candide travels until at the very end when he settles on the farm. What significance does this traveling have? Is the physical movement of traveling representative of mental or psychological movement? How are the places that Candide visits similar? How are they different? How do their similarities and differences play into the idea of movement in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Resurrection is a theme throughout the novel. Describe the characters who have been believed dead but then "resurrected." Why does Voltaire use this literary theme? Jacques is one of the main characters who does not return from the dead, but yet he is one of the most purely good characters. Explain why you think Voltaire chose to give him the fate he did.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)