|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires?
2. Where do Candide and Martin land at the end of the chapter?
3. What happens to two slaves on the ship going to Constantinople?
4. What bizarre action follows Candide's response to what he saw running across a field in Chapter 16?
5. Why does the Spanish captain refuse to take Candide and Cacambo to Buenos Aires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Candide and Pangloss evolve over the course of the story? Cite specific examples from the text that seem to have cause this change. Does the relationship seem better between the two of them at the end of the novel or in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the danger of great riches. Use the Eldoradans' idea that people for the outside would would even kill to get their hands on the gold and jewels which were everywhere in their land. To a lesser degree, perhaps, discuss in your paper how people will defraud, embezzle, or scam other people to get money.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes authors choose to use the characters in a novel to express their distaste or support of a particular person or social movement. Historically do you think Candide represented a particular person or movement? Why or why not? How does Voltaire use his novel as a social criticism? Do you think Voltaire is critical of a specific social movement or of society in general? Why?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)