|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Candide finally marries Cunégonde and the pair lives in the farm with Martin, Pangloss, Cacambo, and the old woman. What do these characters all have in common? Why is it significant that all these characters end up at the same place? How do these characters function as a group? How are the individual interests of these characters different or similar to the interests of the group?
Essay Topic 3
Candide and Cacambo leave Eldorado with sheep carrying their belongings. What happens to these sheep along the way? Why is this significant? What is the meaning of the sheep in the novel? Do you think they are representative of something else? What references are there to sheep in other texts that Voltaire might have referenced? Write an essay explaining and examining the significance and symbolism of the sheep.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)