|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following things does Candide not complement Senator Pococurante?
2. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
3. Which of the following characteristics describes Senator Pococurante?
4. What do Candide and his new traveling partner to Bordeaux rescue from the ocean in Chapter 20?
5. How many others are in the galley with Pangloss and the Baron?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on war and how it was represented in this novel. What message was the author giving about war, and how do you know that? How did war affect the plot of characters in CANDIDE?
Essay Topic 2
In the end of the novel, Candide exalts physical labor and hard work as the solution to the endless cycle of human suffering. Compare and contrast the life that Candide advocates with the life led by Pangloss, Martin, Pococurante and other characters. What are the benefits to Candide's life at the end of the novel that he didn't have before?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on accepting philosophies or religions without question. Using Candide as your example, discuss how following a charismatic leader or teacher without thinking for oneself is a bad idea. In your essay include the importance of collecting divergent ideas.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)