|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Candide and his traveling partner to Bordeaux finally reach the shore in Chapter 21, what country do they see?
2. Why do the people who captured and bound Candide and Cacambo suspect that Candide is a Jesuit?
3. Who discovers that Pangloss was still alive after the auto-da-fé?
4. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
5. What happens when Candide first arrives in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on war and how it was represented in this novel. What message was the author giving about war, and how do you know that? How did war affect the plot of characters in CANDIDE?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the murders committed by Candide. Would you classify any of them as justifiable homicide? Were they all self-defense? Which of the murders could be classified as crimes of passion? Conclude your paper with your evaluation as to whether there is ever a justifiable cause to murder another human being.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the female characters in the book have two things in common: they use their bodies to get power and that power is usurped by unscrupulous men. Analyze the role of women in the novel. Do any of the women have redeeming qualities? Do the women seem like three-dimensional realistic characters or are they stereotypes? Who seems like the most realistic female character and why?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)