Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Candide undergoes a period of depression after not hearing back from Cacambo or Cunégonde. Is the depression that Candide experiences significant? Do you think this depression has an effect on the events in the novel? If so, how does this depression affect them? How does Martin react to Candide's depression? How do other characters react to Candide's depression? Write an essay describing the significance of Candide experiencing depression.
Essay Topic 2
Candide goes on a truly epic journey through the course of the novel.
- Do people differ from one another that much over the course of his travels? How?
- In what ways is Candide like a traditional tragic hero? In which ways isn't he?
- Is his fate similar to the class tragic hero as discussed in class? What is his epic struggle?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on accepting philosophies or religions without question. Using Candide as your example, discuss how following a charismatic leader or teacher without thinking for oneself is a bad idea. In your essay include the importance of collecting divergent ideas.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)