Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Voltaire satirized people of every walk of life, every race, religion and occupation. How do the 18th century "victims" of his satirical wit compare to contemporary examples? Are the hypocrises and social ills that Voltaire identifies similar to or different from ones society faces today?
In the novel, several religious figures are introduced. How do these religious figures contribute to the plot of the novel? Do these religious characters think of themselves as morally superior? How true or untrue are their assessments of their own morality? How do religion and religious figures contribute to the meaning of the novel as a whole?
Write an essay on class distinctions in your culture versus the class distinctions in CANDIDE. Are there any similarities? What are the differences? What was the author saying about class differences in CANDIDE?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)