|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Senator Pococurante treat his female servants?
2. Who does the woman in the happy couple in Chapter 24 turn out to be?
3. Which group of people captures Candide and Cacambo, binds them, and threatens to eat them?
4. What happens when Candide goes to the court to report the captain who stole his sheep and riches?
5. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Voltaire satirizes religion throughout the novel. Despite the faith, he typically finds hypocrisy and lax morality. Compare and contrast three of the following religions as they portrayed in the novel:
- Grand Inquisitor
What does Voltaire's general philosophy on religion seem to be?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on learning to understand other cultures. What different cultures appear in Candide? Does he make an attempt to understand them better? Why should someone make the effort to understand a culture different than their own? What are the benefits and drawbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)