Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Candide goes on a truly epic journey through the course of the novel.
- Do people differ from one another that much over the course of his travels? How?
- In what ways is Candide like a traditional tragic hero? In which ways isn't he?
- Is his fate similar to the class tragic hero as discussed in class? What is his epic struggle?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Candide finally marries Cunégonde and the pair lives in the farm with Martin, Pangloss, Cacambo, and the old woman. What do these characters all have in common? Why is it significant that all these characters end up at the same place? How do these characters function as a group? How are the individual interests of these characters different or similar to the interests of the group?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the possibility of a Utopia like Eldorado. Such a condition has been tried many times in the past but has always failed. In your essay, present a picture of a world like Eldorado that might possibly work. Then discuss why attempts to establish a Utopia have always ended in failure.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)