Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Voltaire satirizes religion throughout the novel. Despite the faith, he typically finds hypocrisy and lax morality. Compare and contrast three of the following religions as they portrayed in the novel:
- Grand Inquisitor
What does Voltaire's general philosophy on religion seem to be?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on accepting philosophies or religions without question. Using Candide as your example, discuss how following a charismatic leader or teacher without thinking for oneself is a bad idea. In your essay include the importance of collecting divergent ideas.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Candide finally marries Cunégonde and the pair lives in the farm with Martin, Pangloss, Cacambo, and the old woman. What do these characters all have in common? Why is it significant that all these characters end up at the same place? How do these characters function as a group? How are the individual interests of these characters different or similar to the interests of the group?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)