Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
Essay Topic 2
In the end of the novel, Candide exalts physical labor and hard work as the solution to the endless cycle of human suffering. Compare and contrast the life that Candide advocates with the life led by Pangloss, Martin, Pococurante and other characters. What are the benefits to Candide's life at the end of the novel that he didn't have before?
Essay Topic 3
Candide selects Martin as a traveling companion because he is well educated and because he has shared the experience of suffering. How do Candide and Martin respond different to suffering? Is this significant? Which character has a better grasp on reality? Which character has a better reaction to suffering? Why did you select this character?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)