|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
2. Why is Paquette thrown in jail?
3. What does Cacambo tell the tribe to take to prove who they really are?
4. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
5. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their lunch with the jewels they have found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on contentment. What do the characters in Candide learn about contentment, and how do they learn their lessons? What have you learned about contentment from Candide?
Essay Topic 2
The responsibility of free will is a recurring theme in the novel. Using examples from the text, explain the arguments that characters have over the nature of free will. Do the characters seem to make decisions on their own or due to forces outside of their control?
Essay Topic 3
After leaving the Bulgarian military, Candide sees cities that were attacked by both Bulgaria and Abaria. How are the scenes from these attacks similar? How are they different? What meaning do you think the similarities or differences between these two scenes have? What point does the author seem to be trying to communicate about humanity?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)