|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the foreigners at the inn come to Venice?
2. In Chapter 19, where does Candide plan to go to wait for Cacambo and Cunegonde?
3. What does the Baron fear for any children that Candide and Cunégonde might have?
4. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
5. What are Cunegonde and the old woman by Chapter 27?
Essay Topic 1
Voltaire satirized people of every walk of life, every race, religion and occupation. How do the 18th century "victims" of his satirical wit compare to contemporary examples? Are the hypocrises and social ills that Voltaire identifies similar to or different from ones society faces today?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Candide and Pangloss evolve over the course of the story? Cite specific examples from the text that seem to have cause this change. Does the relationship seem better between the two of them at the end of the novel or in the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)