|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pangloss wake up after being hanged?
2. How much money does Candide lose at the dinner when he is playing cards?
3. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
4. What are the children playing with when Candide and Cacambo come to a village in Chapter 17?
5. Why do Candide and Cacambo decide not to stay in that area where they narrowly escaped being cooked and eaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the female characters in the book have two things in common: they use their bodies to get power and that power is usurped by unscrupulous men. Analyze the role of women in the novel. Do any of the women have redeeming qualities? Do the women seem like three-dimensional realistic characters or are they stereotypes? Who seems like the most realistic female character and why?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of the "noble savage" and the idea that without a corruptible society man would be a more moral being was popularized by Rousseau. How would Voltaire have responded to this idea? Use examples from the text to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the possibility of a Utopia like Eldorado. Such a condition has been tried many times in the past but has always failed. In your essay, present a picture of a world like Eldorado that might possibly work. Then discuss why attempts to establish a Utopia have always ended in failure.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)