|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the man executed in England?
2. Which group of people captures Candide and Cacambo, binds them, and threatens to eat them?
3. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
4. Who does Candide donate his sheep to?
5. Why does Candide not want to tour France?
Essay Topic 1
Martin and Jacques are both realistic and somewhat cynical characters. Compare and contrast the two characters, both in their philosophies, thoughts and ideas and in their relationship with Candide and the other characters. What is it about Jacques that makes him more caring and sympathetic to humanity? How do their fates differ? Does this seem fair?
Essay Topic 2
Often in novels, authors use one or more of the characters to argue their own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that Voltaire uses to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Voltaire?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the philosophy of Pangloss, particularly his relationship between cause and effect. Use examples form the text to illustrate how Pangloss was able to rationalize misfortune.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)