|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cacambo and Candide's horses?
2. Why is Cunégonde's brother arrested in Constantinople?
3. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
4. What does Cacambo explain to Candide about what happens in Chapter 16?
5. Who comes to the farm with Paquette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on contentment. What do the characters in Candide learn about contentment, and how do they learn their lessons? What have you learned about contentment from Candide?
Essay Topic 2
Voltaire satirizes religion throughout the novel. Despite the faith, he typically finds hypocrisy and lax morality. Compare and contrast three of the following religions as they portrayed in the novel:
- Grand Inquisitor
What does Voltaire's general philosophy on religion seem to be?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of romantic relationships in the novel for the following couples:
- Paquette and Brother GiroflÃ©e
- CunÃ©gonde and Candide
- CunÃ©gonde and the Governor
- Martin and his wife
Are any of the relationships truly happy? Do the relationships seem more superficial or do they represent "true love?"
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)