|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candide promise to meet Cacambo?
2. In what city do Martin and Candide land in England?
3. What is unusual about the roads Candide and Cacambo find as they climb into the mountains in Chapter 17?
4. What does Candide do for the men who he sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
5. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating your opinion on the subject of injustice. Consider in your essay the things suffered by Candide simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. You may also want to include the treatment of Cunegonde and the princess in your paper. Conclude with examples of injustice today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on contentment. What do the characters in Candide learn about contentment, and how do they learn their lessons? What have you learned about contentment from Candide?
Essay Topic 3
Candide's adventures serve as a frame story for the other characters' stories. How is the frame story style significant to the novel? Why do you think the author has chosen to present the stories using a frame? Do you think this is a successful endeavor?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)