|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Chapter 6?
2. What does everyone who meets the Governor of Buenos Aires for the first time want to do to him?
3. What happens in Lisbon after the shipwreck?
4. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
5. Who does the Commandant of the Jesuit military turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ritual when one meets the king in Eldorado? What does Candide expect the ritual to be before he is told?
2. Describe Candide's interaction with the old woman that comes and tells him to follow her after he is punished for spouting philosophy.
3. How do Candide and Cacambo manage to avoid being eaten by the Oreillons in Chapter 16?
4. How does the abbé trick Candide into giving him his money?
5. What kinds of events happened as part of the preparations for the Princess of Palestrina's wedding?
6. After Candide is captured for "running away," what options is he given?
7. Why is an auto-da-fé deemed necessary in Lisbon?
8. How do Candide, Martin, and Pangloss learn about true happiness?
9. Who found the exhausted princess from the old woman's story and offered to help her escape to Spain?
10. What is shocking about Candide's gift to King Theodore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, several religious figures are introduced. How do these religious figures contribute to the plot of the novel? Do these religious characters think of themselves as morally superior? How true or untrue are their assessments of their own morality? How do religion and religious figures contribute to the meaning of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the murders committed by Candide. Would you classify any of them as justifiable homicide? Were they all self-defense? Which of the murders could be classified as crimes of passion? Conclude your paper with your evaluation as to whether there is ever a justifiable cause to murder another human being.
Essay Topic 3
Resurrection is a theme throughout the novel. Describe the characters who have been believed dead but then "resurrected." Why does Voltaire use this literary theme? Jacques is one of the main characters who does not return from the dead, but yet he is one of the most purely good characters. Explain why you think Voltaire chose to give him the fate he did.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)