|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did the old woman tell her story of captivity by the pirates?
2. Where does Cunégonde see Candide before being reunited with him by the old woman?
3. What had happened to a young man in Italy whom the old woman had met?
4. Over what does Cunégonde shed tears?
5. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
Short Essay Questions
1. Getting away from France, Candide and Martin land in Portsmouth, England, where they witness an execution. Describe Candide's curiosity.
2. What is Candide's condition when he reaches Holland, and who helps him?
3. Who found the exhausted princess from the old woman's story and offered to help her escape to Spain?
4. Describe the surprise Candide has when he gives his coins to a beggar.
5. What is the setting in the first chapter and what characters are introduced?
6. Describe what Candide sees when he walks through a village raided by the Bulgarians.
7. What is the nature of the crime that the Baron commited?
8. Describe what happens on Candide and Cacambo's trip to Cayenne and how they end up in Eldorado.
9. Why is the fleet preparing to go to the New World?
10. What has happened to Pangloss' physical condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin and Jacques are both realistic and somewhat cynical characters. Compare and contrast the two characters, both in their philosophies, thoughts and ideas and in their relationship with Candide and the other characters. What is it about Jacques that makes him more caring and sympathetic to humanity? How do their fates differ? Does this seem fair?
Essay Topic 2
Candide undergoes a period of depression after not hearing back from Cacambo or Cunégonde. Is the depression that Candide experiences significant? Do you think this depression has an effect on the events in the novel? If so, how does this depression affect them? How does Martin react to Candide's depression? How do other characters react to Candide's depression? Write an essay describing the significance of Candide experiencing depression.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of CANDIDE. In the critique discuss the author's style, his purpose in writing the book, the literary devices he uses, and the readability of the book. Be honest in your assessment and conclude with your recommendation about whether or not someone should read this book.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)