|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who noticed Cunegonde at church?
2. Who does Cunégonde tell Candide has not survived the attack on the castle?
3. What does Candide see in the villages that the Bulgarians and their enemies have raided?
4. When Cunégonde's brother's troops attack the village in which Cunégonde lives, what is his intention?
5. What is Cunégonde wearing when she meets Candide again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the custom in Eldorado when brought to see the King?
2. How did Pangloss manage to survive the auto-da-fé?
3. Getting away from France, Candide and Martin land in Portsmouth, England, where they witness an execution. Describe Candide's curiosity.
4. Why is it dangerous for a shrewish woman to be a doctor's wife?
5. What kinds of events happened as part of the preparations for the Princess of Palestrina's wedding?
6. What does the commandant look like?
7. Why does the Baron still not want Cunégonde to marry Candide?
8. Describe what happens on Candide and Cacambo's trip to Cayenne and how they end up in Eldorado.
9. Describe what Candide sees when he walks through a village raided by the Bulgarians.
10. When Candide and Cacambo are having a meal in the field after Candide murders Cunégonde's brother, what do they witness and how does Candide respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Candide falls victim to many acts of trickery. How do these experiences affect Candide? Does he realize that he is being tricked? What does the ability to trick Candide show about his character? Do you think Candide's character is equipped to function in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Candide finally marries Cunégonde and the pair lives in the farm with Martin, Pangloss, Cacambo, and the old woman. What do these characters all have in common? Why is it significant that all these characters end up at the same place? How do these characters function as a group? How are the individual interests of these characters different or similar to the interests of the group?
Essay Topic 3
Eldorado is a paradise on earth. Describe what it is about ELdorado that makes it so perfect? Can you see any flaws? Why do Candide and Cacambo decide to leave? What does this say about human nature?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)