|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
2. What are the people of Cadiz doing in Chapter 10?
3. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
4. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
5. What does Candide do when Cunegonde's brother strikes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Candide is made a captain of the infantry in Cadiz.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell about her experience back in the castle?
3. Describe what happens on Candide and Cacambo's trip to Cayenne and how they end up in Eldorado.
4. In Buenos Aires, describe the problem that arises from Candide's honesty.
5. How has Cunégonde's appearance changed when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis? How do Candide's and Cunégonde's reactions to her change in appearance differ?
6. Describe the send off Candide and Cacambo get as they prepare to leave Eldorado.
7. What has Candide packed in his saddle-bag in chapter 16?
8. Why does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to Don Issachar?
9. What do the people in Eldorado pray for?
10. Explain how Candide responds to the news from Westphalia in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on contentment. What do the characters in Candide learn about contentment, and how do they learn their lessons? What have you learned about contentment from Candide?
Essay Topic 2
For several centuries, psychologists, socialists, and educators have argued the effects of nature vs. nurture. Although this argument may be somewhat anachronistic when applied to Candide, try to examine Candide and the other characters through a nature vs. nurture lens. Which characters provide support for each side? Are some characters affected by their surroundings more than others? Do you think this is a factor of their surroundings or of their natural temperament?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Manichaeanism. Martin insists that he is a Manichaeanist. In your essay discuss the idea that the mind is good and the body is evil. You will need to do some research into Manes, the philosopher in Persia who established this school of thought.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)