|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cunégonde see Candide before being reunited with him by the old woman?
2. What faith is Jacques?
3. Who is Cacambo?
4. In Chapter 7, who rescues and takes care of Candide?
5. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attack of the Bulgarians on the castle according to Cunégonde.
2. Why is an auto-da-fé deemed necessary in Lisbon?
3. What does the slave say is the price of the sugar eaten in Europe?
4. Describe the background of the old woman whom Candide and Cunegonde discover was born a princess.
5. Why does Candide have no interest in seeing France despite never having been there before?
6. The old woman's story, what happened to the princess at the hands of the Janizaries?
7. According to Candide, what is optimism?
8. In Chapter 27, which two characters does Candide rescue by paying for their freedom and when does he recognize them?
9. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
10. Explain why Candide is made a captain of the infantry in Cadiz.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many characters are reintroduced even after their death is witnessed or described. Write an essay explaining how the false deaths of these characters affect the plot as a whole. Consider which characters were thought to have died. Is the choice of these characters significant? What role do these characters play in their appearances before and after their false deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Each of the characters not only has physical characteristics that identify them, but also a set of emotional or mental characteristics. Select any character from the novel and explore the psychology behind their behavior. If you use technical information, make sure to research your claims and cite all of your sources.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the murders committed by Candide. Would you classify any of them as justifiable homicide? Were they all self-defense? Which of the murders could be classified as crimes of passion? Conclude your paper with your evaluation as to whether there is ever a justifiable cause to murder another human being.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)