|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first village to which Candide goes immediately after he escapes from the Bulgarians?
2. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
3. How is Pangloss punished by the auto-da-fé?
4. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
5. In the old woman's story about her past, what did the soldiers of the Pope do when the ship was attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cunegonde's brother explain his escape from death?
2. Who do Cunégonde, Candide, and the old woman visit when they arrive in Buenos Aires and how does he respond to them?
3. What is the nature of the crime that the Baron commited?
4. After Candide is captured for "running away," what options is he given?
5. What do the people in Eldorado pray for?
6. How do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee in chapter 9, and where do they go?
7. How does Candide answer when asked if Cunégonde is his wife?
8. What kinds of events happened as part of the preparations for the Princess of Palestrina's wedding?
9. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
10. What are Cunégonde's misfortunes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Voltaire satirizes religion throughout the novel. Despite the faith, he typically finds hypocrisy and lax morality. Compare and contrast three of the following religions as they portrayed in the novel:
- Grand Inquisitor
What does Voltaire's general philosophy on religion seem to be?
Essay Topic 2
In the second chapter, Candide is drafted into the Bulgarian military after he drinks to the King of Bulgaria with two men he meets during his travels. How does Candide react to his initiation into the army? Do you think being in the military has a positive or negative affect on Candide's character in the rest of the novel? Why? How do you think Candide is affected by his short military character?
Essay Topic 3
When Candide and Cacambo arrive in Eldorado, they are surprised and awed by the gold roads and the children playing with jewels as if they were only pebbles. Write an essay explaining how Eldorado serves as a foil to other cities in the novel. What role do riches play in the society of Eldorado? How is this different from cities in the rest of the world? How are religion and politics carried out differently in Eldorado?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)