|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Candide?
2. To whom was the old woman betrothed?
3. What town do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman reach before anyone realizes Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are dead?
4. Where is the fleet of ships that Candide, Cunégonde and the old woman join headed?
5. What happens when Candide learns that the Baron, his wife, and his son were murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of events happened as part of the preparations for the Princess of Palestrina's wedding?
2. What is the ritual when one meets the king in Eldorado? What does Candide expect the ritual to be before he is told?
3. How did Pangloss manage to survive the auto-da-fé?
4. Describe the argument that Candide and Cunégonde's brother have regarding Candide's intentions for Cunégonde, and explain what happens as a result.
5. Describe what happens after Candide meets the two men in Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff who offer him food and drink.
6. Why is Candide given his name?
7. How does Candide rationalize his murder of the Grand Inquisitor?
8. Why was the castrated man sent to the King of Morocco?
9. How is Candide rescued after his flogging?
10. What is the explanation for Candide's disinterest in seeing Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about cause and effect. Dr. Pangloss often refers to cause and effect, but he is also often wrong in his conclusions. Select for your essay a topic like global warming to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, almost every character has a story of being brutally attacked, raped, or violently removed from a higher position in society. What role does violence play in the novel? Which characters are most affected by violence? Why do you think the author chose to include such graphic depictions of violence in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In the second chapter, Candide is drafted into the Bulgarian military after he drinks to the King of Bulgaria with two men he meets during his travels. How does Candide react to his initiation into the army? Do you think being in the military has a positive or negative affect on Candide's character in the rest of the novel? Why? How do you think Candide is affected by his short military character?
This section contains 1,651 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)