|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the morning after Candide's rescue?
2. What trade does Jacques teach Candide?
3. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
4. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
5. Where has the sailor been four times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candide rationalize his murder of the Grand Inquisitor?
2. How did Pangloss manage to survive the auto-da-fé?
3. Describe the crime that the two Portuguese commit and the punishment that they receive.
4. What is shocking about Candide's gift to King Theodore?
5. Why does Candide fall into a deep depression when he hasn't heard from Cacambo or Cunégonde?
6. How did Cunegonde fall into the clutches of a Jew and the Grand Inquisitor?
7. Describe what happens to Jacques on the ship.
8. Where do Candide and Cacambo see gold and jewels in the city in the mountains? How do they respond to this finding?
9. Why do the learned men tell Pococurante you should always have Homer in your library?
10. What do Candide, the baron, Pangloss, Martin and Cacambo argue about on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about cause and effect. Dr. Pangloss often refers to cause and effect, but he is also often wrong in his conclusions. Select for your essay a topic like global warming to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Candide falls victim to many acts of trickery. How do these experiences affect Candide? Does he realize that he is being tricked? What does the ability to trick Candide show about his character? Do you think Candide's character is equipped to function in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your opinion on the subject of injustice. Consider in your essay the things suffered by Candide simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. You may also want to include the treatment of Cunegonde and the princess in your paper. Conclude with examples of injustice today.
This section contains 1,687 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)