|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
2. Where does Cacambo once work as a servant?
3. What does the Governor have a "furious lust" for?
4. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
5. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Candide and Martin are arrested in a scam perpetrated by a false abbe?
2. Describe Pangloss's survival story after he was hanged and burned.
3. What is the explanation for Candide's disinterest in seeing Paris?
4. Compare the burials of Don Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor.
5. Why is the admiral killed?
6. What do the characters at the farm decide to do at the end of the novel and why?
7. Why does Cacambo want to go to Cayenne?
8. How does Candide respond when Cunegonde reminds him of his promise to marry her? Why?
9. Describe what Candide sees when he walks through a village raided by the Bulgarians.
10. Why is the fleet preparing to go to the New World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the danger of great riches. Use the Eldoradans' idea that people for the outside would would even kill to get their hands on the gold and jewels which were everywhere in their land. To a lesser degree, perhaps, discuss in your paper how people will defraud, embezzle, or scam other people to get money.
Essay Topic 2
Voltaire satirized people of every walk of life, every race, religion and occupation. How do the 18th century "victims" of his satirical wit compare to contemporary examples? Are the hypocrises and social ills that Voltaire identifies similar to or different from ones society faces today?
Essay Topic 3
Candide undergoes a period of depression after not hearing back from Cacambo or Cunégonde. Is the depression that Candide experiences significant? Do you think this depression has an effect on the events in the novel? If so, how does this depression affect them? How does Martin react to Candide's depression? How do other characters react to Candide's depression? Write an essay describing the significance of Candide experiencing depression.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)