Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
2. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
3. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
4. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
5. As Captain, who is assigned to be Candide's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the commandant look like?
2. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
3. Describe what happens to the men who were arrested for burning in Chapter 6.
4. Why do the learned men tell Pococurante you should always have Homer in your library?
5. What is Cacambo's master's story?
6. In Chapter 18, where do Candide and Cacambo go first to learn about Eldorado?
7. What event happens during Martin and Candide's discussion of the subject of moral and physical evil? How does Candide use this to his advantage?
8. Identify the family of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
9. How do Candide and Cacambo manage to avoid being eaten by the Oreillons in Chapter 16?
10. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
Throughout the novel, Candide travels until at the very end when he settles on the farm. What significance does this traveling have? Is the physical movement of traveling representative of mental or psychological movement? How are the places that Candide visits similar? How are they different? How do their similarities and differences play into the idea of movement in the novel?
The responsibility of free will is a recurring theme in the novel. Using examples from the text, explain the arguments that characters have over the nature of free will. Do the characters seem to make decisions on their own or due to forces outside of their control?
Research the author, Voltaire. What in Voltaire's life or experiences may have impacted his writing in CANDIDE?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)