|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Anabaptist do for the crew of the boat?
2. How does Candide justify the murders he committed?
3. Where does the ship that Candide, Cunégonde and the old lady are sailing on finally land?
4. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
5. Who is Candide's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the commandant look like?
2. How is Candide rescued after his flogging?
3. What surprise awaits Candide in Paraguay?
4. What happens to give Candide a good response to Martin's pessimism in Chapter 20?
5. How does Candide respond when Cunegonde reminds him of his promise to marry her? Why?
6. How do Candide and Cacambo end up on roads that are paved with gold?
7. When Candide and Cacambo are having a meal in the field after Candide murders Cunégonde's brother, what do they witness and how does Candide respond?
8. What happens when Candide realizes that he won't see Cunégonde again?
9. Describe Dr. Pangloss' philosophy.
10. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, several religious figures are introduced. How do these religious figures contribute to the plot of the novel? Do these religious characters think of themselves as morally superior? How true or untrue are their assessments of their own morality? How do religion and religious figures contribute to the meaning of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
For several centuries, psychologists, socialists, and educators have argued the effects of nature vs. nurture. Although this argument may be somewhat anachronistic when applied to Candide, try to examine Candide and the other characters through a nature vs. nurture lens. Which characters provide support for each side? Are some characters affected by their surroundings more than others? Do you think this is a factor of their surroundings or of their natural temperament?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about cause and effect. Dr. Pangloss often refers to cause and effect, but he is also often wrong in his conclusions. Select for your essay a topic like global warming to illustrate your points.
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)