|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
2. How does Jacques act on the ship?
3. What happens when Mr. Issachar attacks Candide?
4. What happened to Cunegonde after she was taken prisoner by the captain?
5. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cacambo think should be done with the Baron?
2. What are the circumstances that cause Candide to kill Cunegonde's brother?
3. What are the crimes of the people sentenced to the auto-da-fé?
4. Describe Candide's interaction with the old woman that comes and tells him to follow her after he is punished for spouting philosophy.
5. Getting away from France, Candide and Martin land in Portsmouth, England, where they witness an execution. Describe Candide's curiosity.
6. Who is the Commandant and what news does Candide bring him?
7. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
8. In Buenos Aires, describe the problem that arises from Candide's honesty.
9. How does Candide finally find Cacambo and get news of Cunegonde?
10. What are the fates available to the castrati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Candide and Pangloss evolve over the course of the story? Cite specific examples from the text that seem to have cause this change. Does the relationship seem better between the two of them at the end of the novel or in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Pangloss is a deeply flawed character, but yet also in some ways seems as naive as Candide. Do you think Pangloss is as educated as he purports to be? Give examples to support your opinion. Who seems to have been the wisest person in the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about greed. Using examples from CANDIDE and current newspaper headlines, write an essay about greed. Include in your essay the harmful effects greed has on both the perpetrator of greed and the victims of other people's greed.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)