|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what does Cunégonde shed tears?
2. To whom did the old woman tell her story of captivity by the pirates?
3. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
4. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
5. Why is Candide allowed to speak to the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Martin, what is the relationship between the weak and the strong?
2. What is the nature of the crime that the Baron commited?
3. Why does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to Don Issachar?
4. Describe the conversation that Martin and Candide have after leaving Senator Pococurante's palace.
5. When Candide reunites with Paquette, the maid from Westphalia, how does she describe her life since they last were together and what details does she provide?
6. In Bordeaux, who does Candide give his sheep to and why?
7. Describe the king's response when Candide indicates he wants to leave Eldorado and explain the lengths that the king goes to help Candide with his plan.
8. Why is it dangerous for a shrewish woman to be a doctor's wife?
9. Why is the fleet preparing to go to the New World?
10. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After leaving the Bulgarian military, Candide sees cities that were attacked by both Bulgaria and Abaria. How are the scenes from these attacks similar? How are they different? What meaning do you think the similarities or differences between these two scenes have? What point does the author seem to be trying to communicate about humanity?
Essay Topic 2
When Candide and Cacambo arrive in Eldorado, they are surprised and awed by the gold roads and the children playing with jewels as if they were only pebbles. Write an essay explaining how Eldorado serves as a foil to other cities in the novel. What role do riches play in the society of Eldorado? How is this different from cities in the rest of the world? How are religion and politics carried out differently in Eldorado?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of romantic relationships in the novel for the following couples:
- Paquette and Brother GiroflÃ©e
- CunÃ©gonde and Candide
- CunÃ©gonde and the Governor
- Martin and his wife
Are any of the relationships truly happy? Do the relationships seem more superficial or do they represent "true love?"
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)