|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the English think about killing an admiral every once in a while?
(a) It makes the sailors happy.
(b) It is a good motivator for the other admirals.
(c) It gives the people something to do.
(d) Its just something they have always done.
2. Why is Candide still optimistic after meeting Senator Pococurante?
(a) He thinks that Martin and he can find another happy man.
(b) He believes that happiness comes through prayer.
(c) He believes he will be the only happy man when he marries Cunégonde.
(d) He thinks that Senator Pococurante's criticism is an act.
3. In Bordeaux, what does Candide do with the red sheep?
(a) He gives the sheep to the Academy of Sciences to study.
(b) He sells their unusual red wool and then eats them.
(c) He barbecues them.
(d) He gives them to the church.
4. What do Candide and Martin do immediately upon arriving in Venice in Chapter 24?
(a) Locate a good hotel.
(b) Try the Italian food.
(c) Send word for Cacambo.
(d) Ask directions to the bank.
5. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
(a) 100,000 piasters.
(b) 2 piasters.
(c) He gives him nothing.
(d) 30,000 piasters.
Short Answer Questions
1. After everyone goes to work on the farm, what do they discover?
2. Where is the war that France is fighting?
3. When Cacambo accosts Candide before quickly leaving to serve his master, where does he say Cunégonde is?
4. What is the Senator's attitude toward his vast book collection in Chapter 25?
5. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)