|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martin say is in Paris?
(b) An opportunity for adventure..
(c) A paradise.
(d) Lots of easy money.
2. Why must Cacambo go to Buenos Aires?
(a) To kill the governor.
(b) To offer to buy Cunegonde.
(c) To sink the Spanish ship.
(d) To find the old woman.
3. Who relieved Cacambo of all his wealth after he buys back Cunegonde?
(a) A military captain.
(b) A ship's captain.
(c) A bad judge.
(d) A pirate.
4. What does Cacambo explain to Candide about what happens in Chapter 16?
(a) The girls are mutant monkeys.
(b) The girls were raised by monkeys.
(c) Monkeys are sacred to the natives here.
(d) Candide has killed the girls' lovers.
5. What is finally revealed about Senator Pococurante in Chapter 25?
(a) His negative character.
(b) his false pretenses at wealth.
(c) His kindness to his servants.
(d) His lack of education.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Candide and Martin find Senator Pococurante's character?
2. Back from the party at the French lady's house, why does Candide feel guilty?
3. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
4. What happens when Candide and Martin are discussing philosophy?
5. With what are the children playing in the schoolyard of the village in the mountains?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)