|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide decide to go to Venice?
(a) To meet new friends and find a new companion.
(b) To see more places in the world.
(c) To bring the riches of Eldorado to Venice.
(d) To wait while Cacambo retrieves Cunégonde.
2. What is the fate of the Baron, Cunégonde's brother?
(a) He lives happily with Candide and Cunégonde.
(b) He is thrown into the sea.
(c) He is stabbed through the neck.
(d) He is sold back to the captain of the ship to work in the galleys.
3. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
(a) On the banks of Propontis.
(b) On a slave block.
(c) In a laundry.
(d) In a kitchen.
4. Who comes to the farm with Paquette?
(b) The old woman.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Friar Giroflée.
5. What does Candide do for the men who he sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) He pays for their freedom.
(b) He whips them more.
(c) He steals them.
(d) He stabs them in the heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide pay the Dutch captain to sail to Venice as soon as possible?
2. What is Cunégonde's appearance when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis?
3. Who discovers that Pangloss was still alive after the auto-da-fé?
4. What carries the carriages in the village?
5. Which character believes "God has forsaken Earth and it is instead controlled by something more evil"?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)