|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) Portsmouth, England.
2. Upon seeing the strange sight running across a field in Chapter 16, what does Candide do?
(a) Shoots the girls.
(b) Falls down laughing hysterically.
(c) Shoots the monkeys.
(d) Challenges the sword fighters.
3. How is it proven that Candide is not a Jesuit?
(a) The captors ask him to repeat a Catholic prayer.
(b) The captors take Candide's robe and ask villagers to whom it belonged.
(c) The captors threaten to eat him and see whether Candide prays.
(d) The captors quiz him on his early childhood.
4. Why are the guests, with whom Candide and Martin have dinner the night after Cacambo accosts them, in Venice?
(a) To experience Carnival.
(b) To get revenge.
(c) For the wedding of one of their children.
(d) To reunite with old friends.
5. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
(a) two naked girls chased by monkeys biting at their buttocks.
(b) Two naked girls pulling monkeys' tails.
(c) naked soldiers sword fighting with two monkeys.
(d) two girls having their clothes ripped off by monkeys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires to buy Cunégonde?
2. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
3. Who is known as the best philosopher in the area?
4. Why does Candide decide to purchase a farm?
5. What game are the children in the village playing?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)