|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide finds them on the banks of Propontis?
(a) Having a picnic.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Taking a nap.
(d) Washing dishes.
2. How much money does Candide lose at the dinner when he is playing cards?
(a) Fifty diamonds.
(b) Fifty thousand francs.
(c) One thousand francs.
(d) Twelve francs.
3. Why does Candide initially think Senator Pococurante is a happy man before Martin persuades him otherwise?
(a) The Senator appears to gain pleasure in critiquing and criticizing art.
(b) The Senator is pleasant throughout their visit.
(c) The Senator is jovial and pours large glasses of wine.
(d) The Senator has art, music, and women.
4. Where does the scene in the play Candide attends take place?
5. What do Manichaeans believe?
(a) God is allowing evil to enjoy the trials of men.
(b) God is ready to destroy the Earth again, this time by fire.
(c) God has forsaken Earth, which is controlled by something evil.
(d) God has grown blind to the evil of mankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide not want to tour France?
2. What distresses Candide after he sees Cacambo in Chapter 26?
3. How long do Candide and Martin wait in Venice without word of Cacambo?
4. Who sees Pangloss help the woman replace her flowers on her breast and has him arrested for it?
5. What is it that Candide does not have in Chapter 21?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)