|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of the gunfire that Candide and Martin hear while they are on the ship?
(a) Two ships fighting.
(b) Two sailors fighting.
(c) A rifle accident by the captain.
(d) A gunpowder explosion in the berth.
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) Dr. Pangloss and Cunégonde's brother.
(b) Martin and Cacambo.
(c) The governor and the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) Mr. Issachar and Cacambo.
3. To which destination does Martin agree to continue with Candide in Chapter 21?
(d) Buenos Aires.
4. What does Cunegonde remind Candide about in Chapter 29?
(a) What they did behind the screen.
(b) his promise to marry her.
(c) How he left her in Buenos aires.
(d) where she hid her diamonds.
5. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
(a) The French.
(b) The Dutch.
(c) The Theatines.
(d) The Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Candide lose at the dinner when he is playing cards?
2. What skill does Paquette develop?
3. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
4. How does Candide finally get out of the country in Chapter 19?
5. What does Candide consider the only thing he has really lost?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)