|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
(a) The are captured by jungle natives.
(b) Their canoe runs aground and is ruined on the reefs.
(c) The canoe falls apart and they swim to shore.
(d) They come to a small village.
2. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
(b) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
(c) She marries Pangloss.
(d) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
3. What language do the people in the village speak?
4. Running away from the scene of the murder, where do Cacambo and Candide stop to rest and eat in Chapter 16?
(a) Across the border into Peru.
(b) In a small village.
(c) Near a small mountain.
(d) In a field near a stream.
5. What did Giroflée's parents force him to do?
(a) Enter the monastery.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Marry and have kids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom has Candide heard that is said to have never had a bad day in his life?
2. What happens to Candide at a card game in Paris?
3. What does Martin claim to be?
4. What happens to Cacambo and Candide's horses?
5. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)