|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not accompany Candide to the banks of Propontis?
(a) Mr. Issachar.
(c) The Baron.
2. What is finally revealed about Senator Pococurante in Chapter 25?
(a) His lack of education.
(b) His negative character.
(c) His kindness to his servants.
(d) his false pretenses at wealth.
3. What crime had landed the young Baron as a galley slave?
(a) Preaching Christianity.
(b) Bathing with the Sultan's page.
(c) For being a Jesuit.
(d) slipping into the Sultan's harem.
4. What happens to Candide at a card game in Paris?
(a) He loses 50,000 francs.
(b) He is given spiked punch.
(c) He wins a fortune.
(d) He has his pockets picked.
5. What do Manichaeans believe?
(a) God has forsaken Earth, which is controlled by something evil.
(b) God is allowing evil to enjoy the trials of men.
(c) God has grown blind to the evil of mankind.
(d) God is ready to destroy the Earth again, this time by fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
2. What religion are the people of Eldorado?
3. Who comes to the farm with Paquette?
4. How does Senator Pococurante treat his female servants?
5. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)