|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Candide witnesses Pangloss being hanged, what happens?
(a) A fellow prisoner rescues Pangloss.
(b) The rope breaks and Pangloss falls.
(c) Pangloss dies.
(d) It starts to rain, putting out the fire that was burning Pangloss.
2. What did Giroflée's parents force him to do?
(a) Flee the country.
(b) Enter the monastery.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Marry and have kids.
3. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
(a) He was captured at sea.
(b) He was tossed out of the Jesuits.
(c) He was taken prisoner in Buenos Aires.
(d) He was taken prisoner in Eldorado.
4. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
(a) Why he seems so happy.
(b) What kind of master he has.
(c) How did he find Cunegonde while he was a slave.
(d) The six million worth of diamonds when they last parted.
5. What does Candide bring with him when he goes to see Cunégonde in the hotel after receiving a letter signed by her?
(a) All of his diamonds and Cacambo.
(b) Martin and Medicine.
(c) Medicine and gold.
(d) Martin and all of his gold and diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the farm with Paquette?
2. What is it that Martin regards as just a mass of people, each with his own interest?
3. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
4. How much is the diamond worth that Candide pawns?
5. Who sees Pangloss help the woman replace her flowers on her breast and has him arrested for it?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)