|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city do Martin and Candide land in England?
2. To whom does Candide give the sheep in Bordeaux?
(c) The Governor's mansion.
(d) The Academy of Sciences.
3. Candide puts out word that he will give what for an honest traveling companion?
(a) A ship passage to Constantinople.
(b) A woman for the companion to marry.
(c) A horse to carry his possessions.
(d) Two thousand piastres and a room and board.
4. What does the Baron fear for any children that Candide and Cunégonde might have?
(a) They couldn't enter the noble assemblies of Germany.
(b) They will be ugly.
(c) They will be poor.
(d) They will be stupid.
5. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
(a) To select a bride.
(b) To find an embezzler.
(c) To take in the carnival.
(d) To visit the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King of Eldorado provide for Candide and Cacambo as they leave?
2. As he is coming back from a party, what does Candide tell the abbé?
3. What does Candide's new traveling partner to Bordeaux profess to be?
4. Candide and Martin have dinner with guests the night after Cacambo accosts them. What do the guests complain about?
5. What does Cacambo tell Candide to do when he finally shows up in Chapter 26?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)