|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had Pangloss survived the hanging?
(a) a surgeon discovered he was not dead and nursed him.
(b) A storm came up and revived Pangloss.
(c) The noose had broken, and Pangloss pretended to be dead.
(d) They hanged someone else by mistake.
2. How does Candide react when Cunégonde reminds him of his promise to marry her?
(a) He says that he is too sick to marry.
(b) He agrees to marry even though he doesn't want to anymore.
(c) He says she is too old to marry.
(d) He enthusiastically proposes.
3. Where is the ship that Candide eventually gets on headed?
4. Where is Cunégonde's brother first taken prisoner?
(c) Buenos Aires.
5. What does Candide bring with him when he goes to see Cunégonde in the hotel after receiving a letter signed by her?
(a) Martin and all of his gold and diamonds.
(b) Martin and Medicine.
(c) Medicine and gold.
(d) All of his diamonds and Cacambo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many scientists work on the machine built to carry Candide and Cacambo out of Eldorado?
2. Candide and his new traveling companion, Martin, leave on a ship bound for where in Chapter 20?
3. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
4. What did Giroflée's parents force him to do?
5. What happens when Candide goes to court to complain about the ship's captain?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)