|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide think it was lucky he killed the Baron?
(a) Otherwise he would have had to leave South America.
(b) Otherwise he would have had to become the tribal king.
(c) Otherwise he would have had to marry Cunégonde.
(d) Otherwise he would have been eaten.
2. What does Martin claim to be?
(a) A Muslim.
(b) An Aristotlean.
(c) A Manichean.
(d) An Epicurean.
3. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(b) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(c) If Martin has ever seen France.
(d) If Martin likes to eat French food.
4. What has Cacambo become while he was away?
(a) A slave.
(b) A Jesuit.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A monk.
5. Why do the people who captured and bound Candide and Cacambo suspect that Candide is a Jesuit?
(a) Because he is still wearing the Commandant's robe.
(b) Because he has a necklace with a cross.
(c) Because he begins to pray when he is captured.
(d) Because he speaks the language of the Jesuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pococurante's attitude toward his art collection?
2. Of whom has Candide heard that is said to have never had a bad day in his life?
3. Where does Cacambo say Cunegonde is in Chapter 26?
4. How does Martin propose to prove a happy looking couple in Chapter 24 is not happy at all?
5. In Chapter 19, where does Candide plan to go to wait for Cacambo and Cunegonde?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)