|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Candide and Martin are discussing philosophy?
(a) They see a seaman lift a young boy to see over the edge of the ship.
(b) They see the captain of their ship fall overboard.
(c) They see a ship attacked by pirates.
(d) They see a young maiden cry for help as a man attacks her.
2. Why does Candide initially think Senator Pococurante is a happy man before Martin persuades him otherwise?
(a) The Senator appears to gain pleasure in critiquing and criticizing art.
(b) The Senator is jovial and pours large glasses of wine.
(c) The Senator is pleasant throughout their visit.
(d) The Senator has art, music, and women.
3. In Bordeaux, what does Candide do with the red sheep?
(a) He gives the sheep to the Academy of Sciences to study.
(b) He barbecues them.
(c) He gives them to the church.
(d) He sells their unusual red wool and then eats them.
4. Which of the following is not a reason that Candide kills the two monkeys who are chasing the girls?
(a) To absolve the murder of Cunégonde's brother.
(b) To absolve the murder of The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) To protect the women.
(d) To absolve the murder of Mr. Issachar.
5. Where is Cunégonde's brother first taken prisoner?
(d) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the two slaves on the ship to Contantinople turn out to be?
2. What role does the actress Candide likes play?
3. What religion are the people of Eldorado?
4. According to Cacambo, where is Cunégonde?
5. Which of the following characteristics describes Senator Pococurante?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)